Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 CTS VSPORT Announced

22K views 80 replies 36 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 ·
So the Twin Turbo 3.6 will only be available in what is being called the CTS VSport. I don't know how I feel about that, but it just means that it'll be a lot more money lol.

#45 ·
Therein lies the problem. With all season tires, I can't go more than half throttle off the line with my Camaro. That's on warm, dry pavement. And with the miles I drive, I am not keeping summer tires on the car. They are way too expensive to be replacing every year.

#50 ·
This is a great thread discussing the actual merits of the V sport.

Over in the 2G V forum, there is an open debate about people confusing V-sport and V-series.

It is stoked by the confused going over there and posting about the "new 2014 CTS-V with a 420 hp TT!". Sigh.

I like the idea of a mid-level trim that the V-sport represents. 420 hp 3.6TT should respond nicely to mods as long as the transmission can handle the extra power. It'll get way better mileage than my V wagon. My only issue with the V sport is the badging. It should be badged "V-sport" rather than a differently stylized "V" from the V-series' "V".

The unwashed masses WILL be confused by the badging.

Luckily, enthusiasts like us won't be. Regardless, I'll likely be test-driving it....or at least borrowing one when I'm in the dealer for service. Should be fun to drive! Too bad there's no manual option.

#60 ·
I like the idea of a mid-level trim that the V-sport represents. 420 hp 3.6TT should respond nicely to mods as long as the transmission can handle the extra power.
It's needed in this class. Its just way too much of a jump from the 3.6 naturally aspirated to the V. Mercedes has the 550 in between the 350 and the AMG. I like that Caddy is going this route. I wondered if they would go with a destroked LS engine of around 5.5 litre.

#57 ·
Because the STS is more or less just a rear drive DTS. And the STS-V, besides straight-line acceleration, lacked any real performance. And from a practical standpoint, it was just a CTS with a few more inches of rear legroom. Once the second gen CTS hit the market, there was really nothing to convince either consumer or enthusiast to buy an STS over a CTS.

Now with the ATS, CTS and XTS, they have most of the bases covered. Once their full size rear driver hits the market, they will have a complete lineup. Even if it is an expensive one.

#59 ·
carter's_sts said:
Very true. It seems like they just gave up on the STS, which is too bad. It's a great car. I know it wasn't selling that well and the CTS was, but they should have tried some updates to it and tried some different price points with different packages.
I own 05 STS and was original owner. While a great car (188,000 miles ) I can see why GM did what they had to. They needed a bigger car and Sts way to close to CTS in size etc. I personally think the XTS is going be changed up once new flagship arrives in 2015 or '16. It could keep the XTS name ( not a bad idea ) but it will be totally different.

#61 ·
I think GM knows they can't really play in this class anymore with pushrod engines. Which is why I am anxious to see what they do with the real V-series cars. I would be perfectly happy with an LT1 powered ATS-V, but those who are cross shopping the M3 would look at that as an antiquated dinosaur. They would be wrong, but that is still how they will see it. I am guessing at a tuned version of this engine, about 450-470 bhp. The real question is if they will keep on with the LSA in the CTS-V, or if they have something entirely new up their sleeve.

#63 ·
JimmyH said:
I think GM knows they can't really play in this class anymore with pushrod engines. Which is why I am anxious to see what they do with the real V-series cars. I would be perfectly happy with an LT1 powered ATS-V, but those who are cross shopping the M3 would look at that as an antiquated dinosaur. They would be wrong, but that is still how they will see it. I am guessing at a tuned version of this engine, about 450-470 bhp. The real question is if they will keep on with the LSA in the CTS-V, or if they have something entirely new up their sleeve.
????. The new Corvette V8 engine will be the next V Series engine.

#68 ·
^^^^^
Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

The V-series sedans don't have folding seats.

#70 ·
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm doubtful on the likelihood of a next-gen CTS-V with 500+ HP. Here's what makes me fearful:

1) The V-sport monicker dilutes the value of the "V" branding and makes it confusing. They can't sell a CTS-V alongside a V-Sport without confusing the hell out of customers.

2) The pricing announced for the V-Sport of a $59K base price puts it too close to the current V pricing. If they try and slot another model above the V-Sport, you're looking at an $80K car, which is getting awfully close to M5 and E63 territory, and I don't think the marketplace will support that.

3)What caddy has done with the V looks eerily similar to what Lexus did with the IS-F - which has been killed off: They launched a next gen chassis, but kept the IS-F for another year on the old chassis, while creating a bunch of "F-Sport" models without the power of the -F, then killed the IS-F.

I'd love to see a CTS-V with 500+ HP, and a decent auto tranny/DCT so I could avoid wasting the extra coin on an E63, but I'm doubtful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.