Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 regular CTS to have 420 HP !!!!

20K views 91 replies 34 participants last post by  DMCEDDoc 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Let's hope it has fully forged internals! Boost the hell out of it and pick one up with AWD.

Reactions: D3l7a3ch0
#5 ·
Am not familiar with modding a turbo other than up pipe and down pipe stuff plus the obvious, larger turbo.

How much can just software do? Can that alone raise the maximum boost (by controlling the wastegate valve or something?)? Or, would getting something approaching 500 hp require a different turbo and lots of pipe work?

#12 ·
My '01 Audi A4 1.8 Turbo was 170 hp (factory at 10psi boost), which was the same 1.8T motor in general that is 150 hp at 7 psi boost... with a chip, it was 210 hp. 40/170 is ~25% increase for $500. S4 is a 250 hp twin turbo V6 at 250 going to 310-320 hp range... again, ~25% gain.

My A4 1.8T with a GT28R turbo on race gas was 250-260+ all wheel drive to the wheels making 330+ crank. Almost double than stock at 170 and more than double if you count '97-'00 @ 7psi before '01 model. Never built the motor and tons of miles on it with lots of track days. I hope GM builds them as strong. And a tuner jumps on this.

If you're curious about Audi tuning/numbers: www.awe-tuning.com

#20 ·
The V1 is going to fall behind based purely on horsepower, but I doubt the new CTS will be nearly as much fun to drive. From what I've read the new CTS is going to be a significantly larger chassis, which means less responsive and heavier.

The fact that a normal CTS is up to 420hp really makes me interested to see the next CTS-V powerplant though.

And here is hoping they put that same TTV6 in the ATS-V. At about 2-300lbs less than our V1 that would be a blast.

#25 ·
^^ LOL you just make sure your free on Saturday Randy!!

Reactions: D3l7a3ch0
#33 ·
I would not say the "regular" CTS is going to have 420 hp. Based on other cars, only the CTS Premium will have this engine. About 60-75% of 3rd gen CTS will have the 2.0T. Probably another 15-30% will have the NA 3.6. The TT v-6 will account for less than 10%. Bet on it. And I would bet on automatic only. They could potentially make more CTS-V than turbo CTS.

But it won't be heavier. The ATS comes in at 3400 lbs or so with the V6. Figure the CTS will be 3600 lbs.

As for the V, I am betting it continues on with 580 hp, but will weigh 3700 lbs (600 lbs less than current)

#40 ·
it will definitely be heavier. it's going to be larger in every dimension than the current CTS, and it's going up against the A6 and the 5 Series.

I'd say the 2.0T will be the volume engine, but that the TT V6 will be second in sales. Most people want the entry-level or the top tier, not the mid-tier engine.

I also don't see the CTS-V getting any lighter. Why would it drop 600 lbs? It is EXTREMELY difficult to lose that much weight from one generation to another, especially when making the car bigger. I think the only vehicle to lose close to that much weight in recent memory is the Land Rover Range Rover, and that's because they went to an almost all-aluminum design.

in any case, I have my invitation to Cadillac's CTS launch Tuesday night in NYC, so I'll find out the details soon enough.

#58 ·
Because its moving to the alpha platform, which was design from the ground up to be a very light chassis. And GM has already stated that the next cts is going to be lighter than the current one. The current is cts is based on the porky sts platform. And proves that suspension engineers can work miracles with obese vehicles.
I hope you are right - but 600 lbs?

----------

you... don't expect to be taken seriously after what you just wrote... do you?
i take him seriously. i'd rather drive an e30 m3 than a new 3 Series. And I am not in the minority.

#60 ·
I hope you are right - but 600 lbs?

----------

i take him seriously. i'd rather drive an e30 m3 than a new 3 Series. And I am not in the minority.
I think 600lbs is a tall order on a luxury sedan. I wouldn't expect 600lbs difference. If it loses weight (which in itself would be amazing considering each model always gains weight), it would at most IMO lose 200lbs. If the 5th gen Camaro weighed as much as the 4th gen, and not closer to what a V1 weighs, it would be much faster and a much better car. However, options and safety equipment weigh newer cars down. To lose 600lbs is too tall of an order on a CTS-V, IMO.

#43 ·
Front end looks pretty busy...overall looks nice a step in the right direction. Interior looks very nice.

#55 ·
You have to also think the new Shelby has 650ish HP. While it isn't even close to the luxury of the current Cadillac V, and won't be as nice as the new one, I'm thinking it will at least have to partially compete with it.

I have seen rumblings on the internet about a forced induction LT1. Plus seeing as how they want cars to get more and more fuel economy, a turbocharged car would make the most sense. That would be pretty awesome. If they want the cts-v to continue to compete with the m5 they are going to need some serious power.

#56 ·
Considering the ATS-V will be the M3 fighter, an ATS-V with only 420hp will not be enough to combat a newer M3, while the older M3 which outputs 420hp and weighs in at just about 3700lbs range... cuts mid 12s at ~112mph thanks to its DCT transmission more then anything. ATS-V is going to need low 12s @ 115+mph. Thats what a V2 cuts, brand new. Newer ATS-V might end up being somewhere in the neighborhood of 3700lbs after all options, etc... and with just 420hp, isn't going to cut it vs even the old M3 DCT, IMO. A 500hp version of the ATS-V would be exactly what you'd need to beat the M3 at that weight.

I doubt the newer CTS-V will have less then 556hp. If it did, it would be career suicide for whoever is in charge of that market. I expect it to make significantly more... not just 580hp either. The older gen M5 made 500hp out of a NA V10 and put down numbers very close to the CTS-V in terms of trap and ET both. In comparison for the new M5 vs the '09 V...

2013 BMW M5 (DCT) 0-60 3.7 sec 1/4 mile 11.9 sec @ 120.3 mph
2011 Cadillac CTS-V 0-60 4.0 sec 1/4 mile 12.3 sec @ 117.7 mph

Their best bet will not be to equal the high 11s at 120 (which is impressive for a sedan) and what we've seen from lightly modded V2s, but it will be to beat it and although you can probably best ET with a lighter car, you will need power to best trap IMO.

Considering if they remove 200lbs from the current curb weight for the V model... They'll need 600hp or more to significantly best the car and be noticable in any side by side comparison test vs a BMW M5 DCT.

While the V2 was noted as 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, this was in the coupe... in good conditions, with an excellent driver. On average, the V2 was 0-60 in 4.2... just like the V1 was normally 0-60 in broken-axle, instead of the 4.7 advertised. LOL. It needs to have the power to best its competition while being easily accessible and able to put down the power. I think the performance division has learned alot since the V1, and don't see that as being an issue. I would expect this new generation of V to put down even more power. 400hp, 556hp, ____hp?

#57 ·
If they do a turbo version of the LT1 it would be a beast. My last car was a DI turbo 4 banger. With a tune and some simple built ons it was throwing down like 400lbs/trq to the wheels. I was pulling vettes and supercharged 4.6 mustangs on the big roval track at Fontana, CA. A LT1 turbo (maybe twins???) would make a person mess his pants with a tune, downpipes, good intercooler(s) and charge pipes. I sure hope that's what they do. Although I couldn't afford one, it sure would be awesome to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.