Why can't 2014 software be updated to 2013 CUE?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jmprovenza
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Why can't 2014 software be updated to 2013 CUE? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I don't understand....why can't this be done instead of waiting for patches, updates, etc? It seems so much simpler to ...
    rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Why can't 2014 software be updated to 2013 CUE?

I don't understand....why can't this be done instead of waiting for patches, updates, etc? It seems so much simpler to do.....I'd even pay for the upgrade if they wanted. Is there a reason(s) this can't be accomplished?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Re: Why can't 2014 software be updated to 2013 CUE?

Every CUE out there is under the 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty still. No way they'd get away with charging. . . .yet.

They can't currently do remote On-Star updates.

From personal experience, two hours minimum of dealer shop time each to do software upgrades, for which GM has to pay the dealers.

It's a big ticket item for GM to tell everybody to bring 'er on in and get a software refresh. From their perspective, much cheaper to deal with one-off squeaky wheels (like me with my nav problem now apparently fixed).

Not saying they won't do another "everybody" upgrade (in fact I think they will), but they aren't going to rush into it. It really speaks to how buggy/slow the original version was that they did one as quickly as they did in March 2013.

jmprovenza is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury
    Indeed it is disappointing. I didn't buy my SRX for the radio, but it would be nice to get the product that was advertised. My wife's new Durango didn't have all the uConnect apps available. Less than 10 minutes to download the software update to a USB stick and about 15 minutes to install it. Four new applications. Enough said.
    rustybear3 and georule like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmprovenza View Post
    Indeed it is disappointing. I didn't buy my SRX for the radio, but it would be nice to get the product that was advertised. My wife's new Durango didn't have all the uConnect apps available. Less than 10 minutes to download the software update to a USB stick and about 15 minutes to install it. Four new applications. Enough said.
    Yeah. That might be a better model (downloading software updates to a user supplied USB stick) than trying to get On Star to do it, tho if I was them I'd be wanting to use On Star for marketing (of On Star subscriptions) reasons.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

What are the four new applications?

jmprovenza is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury
    I Heart Radio, aha, Pandora, Slacker Radio (yelp was already there). The real point is thay I didn't have to take it to the dealership for 2 hours to update it.

GTPprix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    I don't understand....why can't this be done instead of waiting for patches, updates, etc? It seems so much simpler to do.....I'd even pay for the upgrade if they wanted. Is there a reason(s) this can't be accomplished?
    Because 2014 uses different hardware.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
    Because 2014 uses different hardware.

Who says? I was told the CUE hardware is identical between years.

I do. 2013 is on HMI Hardware Version 1.1, 2014 is on Version 2.0 .

oachalon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD

GTPprix, you have been very helpful on the camaro5 forum. What have you found so far with the CUE units. Any tweaking or modifications that can be done? Any chance the people with 2013 vehicles will get any more updates?

Quote Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
    GTPprix, you have been very helpful on the camaro5 forum. What have you found so far with the CUE units. Any tweaking or modifications that can be done? Any chance the people with 2013 vehicles will get any more updates?
    Thanks I've done a ton of work on the HMI based systems (cue) you can see some of that here: http://youtu.be/9e2JZzeAbo0

What's not shown there is the SMS texting app I have as well, it's pretty slick!

I think there will still be updates to the 13 units but to what end is anyone's guess, they are pretty maxed out from the get go.

Is there any way to identify the 2.0 hardware externally (i.e. without pulling the unit and looking at the internals)? For instance, I have the 24x software. . . does that necessarily mean that when they replaced the original MY13 HMI unit they also gave me 2.0 hardware?

bluztoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AST, 2.0T, Prem. AT, RWD
    Let's be clear about something. There may be limitations to the 2013 hardware. That doesn't mean new and better software updates can't be created and used. We were promised upgradeability and apps when the 2013 was marketed. I've been getting by, using my ipad and iPhone. But how ridiculous is that - to have a car with a screen like this, and not be able to rely on it m
    Love the car - hate my CUE.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.