Collecting CUE specification questions.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Collecting CUE specification questions. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I bought my Cadillac over a hundred miles from where I live and do all my own maintenance so am ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Collecting CUE specification questions.

I bought my Cadillac over a hundred miles from where I live and do all my own maintenance so am just now getting around to finding a dealer for service. The service manager at one of the dealers mentioned he was going to be talking to the CUE team next week and said he would try to get answers to any questions I give him from forum members. I've seen numerous questions posted since I joined about a year ago but I'm sure I don't remember them all. I was thinking of specification types of questions, such as USB/SD compatibility, best format to use, what are the type of characters (or whatever) that give CUE fits when indexing, but he didn't say he wouldn't talk to them about other questions.

I have no idea how successful he will be, but I'll pass on any questions posted in this thread by Monday. I'm hoping he will be talking to someone different than or above the support people we have access to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

suzesq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 srx

Re: Collecting CUE specification questions.

How about the ability to read incoming texts aloud.

Quote Originally Posted by suzesq View Post
    How about the ability to read incoming texts aloud.
    In the time honored tradition of rubbing salt in the wounds of the less fortunate: CUE reads my text messages and lets me dictate responses when paired with my Nokia Lumia phone.

But seriously, I'll see if he can get any estimates when CUE will allow this with more phones.

Rays B4U is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury Gray Flannel Metallic

Would you ask him if they know of a way to clear this message that keeps coming up? Daughter tried tagging a song on the radio and the message came up, and the iPod has over 15gig of unused space so it is not full. Others here have had the same issue but if there is a fix for it no one has posted it.
    IMG_20140206_075733_592a.jpg

UPDATE
    Come to find out our iPod Classic was too old and wasn't supported even though "iPod Classic" (with no mention of what version of Classic) is on CUE's list of "Supported Apple Devices". Some people said they fixed their problem by hooking their iPhone to it but I didn't have access to any iPhones so when my son came over we hooked his newer iPod Classic to it and voila the message is now GONE! So, you can add the iPod (5th generation Late 2006) Classic to the list of NON SUPPORTED devices for CUE. So far, all the other features on the "old" iPod seem to work fine...just not the "Tag this song" feature!

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Hoosier, here you go, and many thanks for the opportunity!

1. Is there a max or recommended USB/SD media size?
    2. I know the manual states there's a crossover/pain-point at about 4k media files per device. Can they elaborate on exactly what and why and how this whole initialization process works?
    3. How does initialization or indexing work for separate devices? All one big index or separate?
    4. Are there any planned updates to our latest version of CUE for the ATSes? What's the overall game plan for CUE? Software releases every 6 months? 12? As needed? We're getting reports of better response in the latest updates, what's the story there?
    5. How does CUE recognize audiobooks or podcasts as such, especially if they're not on an iPod where they were downloaded or sync'd via iTunes. All my music is managed and transferred manually (not with iTunes or WMP or any other app) from my PC to the USB or SD drive. I've used MP3Tag to properly tag them as "audiobook" or whatever, but CUE does not recognize them. Do they have any insight on this?
    6. Why is the CUE customer support team tier1 so willing to move things up to tier2, but that seems to be where questions like these go to die? If there were more transparency about the ins and outs of how CUE works with regard to media devices. (*Recognizing that a single, universal system like CUE can't address all possible variations of phones or media players.*) However, for an integrated media system like CUE, one has an expectation of certain behavior based on the devices it interfaces with (Android, iPhone, iPod, WinPhone, etc.) and how (USB tether or BT). That is lacking with CUE at the moment. Likewise, the two or three people from CUE who participate in the forums are VERY nice and EXTREMELY empathetic, but beyond telling us to call CUE customer support, there's no purpose. That is not a reflection on them personally at all, but I don't see any added value. If the purpose is to report back with a view into customer satisfaction or problems, then there must be a better way because it's not really working, from what I can see in the forums.
    7. How does CUE deliver what and how? Where does the weather info come from? XM or Onstar? Traffic info?
    8. I've inadvertently moved one icon to screen #2, how the devil do I get it back on the main screen?
    9. Are there any "goose eggs" available to the consumer? Such as the soft reset documented here in the forums?
    10. Are there any known universal bugs in CUE and are they being addressed?
    11. What are the ground rules for successful address book integration/reading in CUE? Do special characters throw it off?
    12. What about the steering wheel controls not behaving sometimes? Up or down track sometimes doing the opposite...
    13. Are they aware of the disappearing favorites?
    14. Some owners have had success with CUE issues after a complete CUE replacement. What is the difference between a factory-installed CUE system and a dealership replacement? Is it hardware? If so, what are the differences? Software? If so, is it available at all dealerships for the asking?

OK, I think that's it for now, but I'll update if I think of more. When are you meeting?

Best,
    Don
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

Don, I appologize for not answering your question about when sooner.

I am not meeting with someone. I forwarded questions and problems to the Service Manager who had a meeting with the CUE people early this week. I had told him there were lots of customer questions and complaints and apparently little being done about them and he offered to bring them up in the meeting. I don't know when or in what form the responses will be but will post whatever he reports back which I assume will be in stages. I'm guessing if the answers were quick and easy, eveyone wouldn't still be waiting after so long!

FYI I stressed the need for direct involvement in the forums by CUE reps. Cadillac has reps monitoring another forums here and responding to "issues".

No problem, I really thought this would have generated a little more interest, but maybe everyone's long since abandoned hope. There's either a huge lack of transparency on CUE, or any updates are on the back burner, I guess.

Cool, thanks for the update, we'll keep our fingers crossed, maybe something good will actually come of it. Even just *knowing* when projected updates and bug-fixes are scheduled would go a long way, like Android. Release management should be at play here, somewhere.

Take care,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis View Post
    No problem, I really thought this would have generated a little more interest, but maybe everyone's long since abandoned hope. There's either a huge lack of transparency on CUE, or any updates are on the back burner, I guess.

Cool, thanks for the update, we'll keep our fingers crossed, maybe something good will actually come of it. Even just *knowing* when projected updates and bug-fixes are scheduled would go a long way, like Android. Release management should be at play here, somewhere.

Take care,
    Don
    My take on the lack of response was many having given up hope and not expecting CUE management being more responsive to this dealer than they were to their own dealer when they worked on specific issues or when the customer called the 800 number.

I also asked him to give them a link to this forums in the hope someone from CUE might take a look.

Yeah, pretty grim, you're probably very close to the mark. I'm about ready to buy a Nexus tablet with a data plan and Velcro it to my CUE screen!

jlukavsky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis View Post
    Yeah, pretty grim, you're probably very close to the mark. I'm about ready to buy a Nexus tablet with a data plan and Velcro it to my CUE screen!
    If Cadillac would've just left a blank spot for an iphone, ipad, galaxy, nexus, nokia, ANYTHING where that god aweful CUE system is and charged me the same price as if I had the CUE system I would be much happier. You're right Hoosier, I would've liked to have asked in time when they are going to fix the CUE losing it's settings bug. I'll be driving with a destination set in the GPS and randomly it will go off mute, the destination input changes from short to long - seems to reset every 48 hours max if not shorter, and the HUD height loses its posititioning. I really just gave up though and didn't check this thread until now. Wouldn't have mattered anyway.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I believe the "Given up hope" is probably the main reason for the drop off of interest. Like many of the new ideas from Detroit over the years many simply did not pan out and were abandoned by the manufacturer. GM is starting to see a drop in new car sales and I would imagine that fixing CUE is way down on their to do list. I got a $2,176 dollar GM check in the mail yesterday that can be used toward the purchase of any new Cadillac so the old incentive program that got them into trouble before is rearing its ugly head. None of the other GM cars have the weakness of the CUE system and they all seem to have leapfrogged over us in innovation and user friendliness. I agree with the above statements that if GM had just offered a place to put an Ipad, in place of the CUE, for the same money I would have ordered that option. I saw a Chevy commercial last night where the driver is talking to SIRI through his car's system and it is reading back his tweets and messages to him. Unfortunately his girl friend is sitting in the passenger seat and one of the tweets is "Did you ever find your pants?" in a pretty girl's voice!

JoeGrapes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4

I was at the Buffalo Auto Show last weekend and while looking at the 2014 XTS the salesman started talking to me. After I told him I have a 2013 XTS he asked how I liked it. I love the car but the CUE system needs some work to make it more user friendly. He agreed and said they have had a lot of problems with it. Cadillac was all big on it when it was coming out and they had lots of meetings with Cadillac about how they were going to offer new apps and updates in the future. Then nothing. Sounds like Cadillac will redesign the system in the future to the point of being beyond any upgrade to the present system. That won't help the owners of 2013 and 2014 cars. Thankfully I have had no problems with my CUE. It seems to work as it should but it's taken me awhile to figure the CUE out. The navigation voice recognition has a hard time understanding my instructions. But when I use voice to play a song on my USB flash drive it works great and always gets it right. One thing it does if it doesn't understand voice directions is ask you to break down the address into smaller parts and then it seems to do better. Although it is frustrating.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGrapes View Post
    The navigation voice recognition has a hard time understanding my instructions. But when I use voice to play a song on my USB flash drive it works great and always gets it right. One thing it does if it doesn't understand voice directions is ask you to break down the address into smaller parts and then it seems to do better. Although it is frustrating.
    I'm finding the newest version of CUE (the same that's on the 2014's) is a little better at navigation voice recognition. It's been working real well for me lately.

What I find gives the VR a real hard time is if there is a direction name in the address as stored in CUE and you try to give it that address without the direction name or with the direction name in a different place in that name than where CUE is expecting it.

For instance, it spectacularly fails at "700 East Lake Street" because it wants "700 Lake Street East". Or "10501 167th Ave" because it wants "10501 167th Ave Northwest".

By spectacularly fail, I mean it doesn't find the street at all, and suggests other streets in that town instead.

Not all businesses publish their address the "official" way that CUE VR seems to demand it. The Lake Street address was a restaurant, and I gave CUE VR the address exactly as it was shown on their website. The other address was a car wash, also from their website. On the second one, I finally gave up arguing with CUE and called On Star to have them download it for me. It took the human a few seconds to find it and note "I have that as 167th Ave Northwest" and start it downloading.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I have used just the name of the street and then when and if it offers me choices then I pick the one with the correct direction in it. But you are right when you say just call OnStar and let them do it. One of the things that I do not understand is the format that the CUE nav uses for direct entry of addresses. On my Pioneer in my Avalanche it offers the state, the city and the building number. You can touch any of the three lines and enter the info on it without having to use all three if there is a history of the street name or number. On the CUE you have to enter the entire address as one long line of info and if it doesn't like a portion of it it will not accept it or if you make a mistake and try to back it out, good luck. My daughter's address has three names in the street and CUE will not accept it because it assumes that one of them should be a state. The address is East Mariposa Vista Lane St. Petersburg, FL. Once I had OnStar put it in then it would accept the address. My old Magellan was light years ahead of this obsolete thing.
    Maxplot likes this.

JoeGrapes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4

After a lot of playing with entering the address manually I fine CUE works pretty good when you type in the address just as you would when addressing a letter. Use commas to separate lines instead of spaces. 123 happy street,buffalo,ny
    georule likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.