New 2014 SRX Purchase w/ Cue - a few questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, New 2014 SRX Purchase w/ Cue - a few questions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey all - just purchased a 2014 SRX for delivery on Thursday with Cue and wanted to get some feedback. ...
    Cubexg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

New 2014 SRX Purchase w/ Cue - a few questions

Hey all - just purchased a 2014 SRX for delivery on Thursday with Cue and wanted to get some feedback. Been looking around the forums, and I now see all the hiccups that Cue comes with, so I want to be prepared (currently have an Acura MDX, so difference in the systems for sure).

First off, I have a classic 80 GB Ipod that works well with the Acura, and was purchased for that reason alone.. The music on there rarely changes, but it works well in the Acura. I'm reading that the spinning drives don't work so well with the Cue system, so am I better off purchasing either an SD or USB stick? (in the Acura we would only really use voice command to find music to listen to - does this work with the iPod?)

Second, if the answer to the above is yes, then what brand of SD / USB Stick is reccomended? I see that the Cue maxes at a 32 GB SD card, and larger sticks will work fine - but there are varying posts about brand and format type (seems FAT32 is my best bet even beyond 32 GB). So, what have people on the boards had the most success with thus far?

Finally, while in the dealership today, I paired my HTC One phone with the SRX there, and it paired fine, Pandora worked fine (even with album art) and music played fine off the phone (minus the album art) with the built in player. MOG played, but didn't send the info to the car (this was actually expected as Mog's app sucks). Think this may push me to either google music or spotify if they work any better. After we have our car, I'll post regarding contact uploads as well as the possible text message reading (which I hear is hit or miss).

Anything else that I should know about going into this? The fact is the car is my wife's and she'll be the primary driver, but I want everything to work the right way for her - and I want to play with it when I drive the car. Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: New 2014 SRX Purchase w/ Cue - a few questions

CUE is a nice system with a ton of capability. It should work well with your Ipod even though it's older. Try it out, let it index and see how it works. How many songs are on the Ipod? Read the CUE manual, learn how it works, it's very cool if you take the time to get to know it. Yes there are occasional hiccups but they seem to be making improvements on them and the next software update should reduce the issues that we have. I use an Ipod with my CUE system and it works well. I've also used an SD card, if you get one, get the faster ones, but not the fastest. If you use the IPod you will get art work on the CUE screen. If you use an SD card or USB stick it will show art work only on MP3 Files, not M4a files.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

I also get artwork from Nero .mp4 files (I used Nero to rip my CD collection, and it creates .mp4 by default).

I'm currently using a 16GB Sandisk Extreme (45MB/s) SD card that cost ~$20 on Amazon. It has ~3,600 songs on it, and still plenty of room left. I have had the Infotainment team suggest they've had some oddness reported at 32GB and higher sticks, but not in an insistent way (i.e. they didn't say "never do that").

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    I also get artwork from Nero .mp4 files (I used Nero to rip my CD collection, and it creates .mp4 by default).

I'm currently using a 16GB Sandisk Extreme (45MB/s) SD card that cost ~$20 on Amazon. It has ~3,600 songs on it, and still plenty of room left. I have had the Infotainment team suggest they've had some oddness reported at 32GB and higher sticks, but not in an insistent way (i.e. they didn't say "never do that").
    I'm guessing you have the card formatted in fat32? Also going to see how well the system works with our phones. I know it's designed in certain ways around the iPhone, but I did a test sync in the showroom and it worked pretty well.

Will probably pick up a 32 gig SanDisk card and will start there. I've been reading that it's finicky with the directory structure - is that true?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpaletz View Post
    CUE is a nice system with a ton of capability. It should work well with your Ipod even though it's older. Try it out, let it index and see how it works. How many songs are on the Ipod? Read the CUE manual, learn how it works, it's very cool if you take the time to get to know it. Yes there are occasional hiccups but they seem to be making improvements on them and the next software update should reduce the issues that we have. I use an Ipod with my CUE system and it works well. I've also used an SD card, if you get one, get the faster ones, but not the fastest. If you use the IPod you will get art work on the CUE screen. If you use an SD card or USB stick it will show art work only on MP3 Files, not M4a files.
    When using the ipod, does it allow for the voice search of artist and albums? How quick is it? Ipod is 80gig and probably is about half full - most of it I have no idea how often it's listened too - I rarely update it.

The m4a tip is interesting. Most of what I have is mp3 anyway so not too much of a concern there.

Any other fun tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubexg View Post
    I'm guessing you have the card formatted in fat32? Also going to see how well the system works with our phones. I know it's designed in certain ways around the iPhone, but I did a test sync in the showroom and it worked pretty well.

Will probably pick up a 32 gig SanDisk card and will start there. I've been reading that it's finicky with the directory structure - is that true?

----------

Yes, FAT32. Dunno on the directory structure. Mine doesn't get past two deep (artist, album) very often.

My wife and I have Android 4.x phones, but we don't use them for serving music to CUE. I have heard complaints about contact sync speed with people who have many hundreds of contacts on their phones (phones apparently re-load contacts every time from scratch). I have a few hundred (mostly because the Facebook app helpfully created contacts for me in my phone even tho if they were people I'd really be likely to call, I would have added them myself previously), but haven't noticed it is a concern for me.

I have noticed that the new MY 2014 version of CUE is a little less annoying in various ways than the March 2013 update most 2013 MY folks are currently using (I got an update at the dealer because Nav was causing me issues and that's one of the things they did to see if it would help). I get fewer "device is initializing" messages in voice recognition now, for example, and more right to "state your command". The VR seems to be doing better with interpreting navigation destination addresses now too, IMHO. The last two addresses I gave it verbally it got both of them right on the first try (that never happened on the older version of CUE!).

How can you check the version of cue that you're running? I would like to make sure when I leave the lot that we have the newest version installed.

We have a Sonos system at home so we had a music subscription service (mog) which is now going the way of the dinosaurs. Was looking into Spotify or Beats - need to see how cue handles the blue tooth info from our phones. Will certainly report back tonight after picking the car up!

Home screen (looks like a house on the faceplate below the screen on the right), Settings (big gear on the screen), then down at the bottom there is an option for software versions. There will be three, one for software, one for gracenote, and one for the map (if you have navigation). Mine says 23427521 for Software (aka CUE), which is the same version as the one on the '14 XTS loaner they gave me, and the same version someone else reported on their new '14 ATS around here somewhere.

Just noticed another poster in another thread says he was told by the infotainment team that CUE supports up to 8 levels of directory nesting.

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I find that voice search on my ipod or the SD card works pretty well. I say Play, and then say the name of the song or the name of the artist and it will play that song or artist. If you say an artist, it will play multiple songs from that artist. If you say a song title it will play that one song and then play random other songs. Navigation by voice works well too as long as you say: Navigation and follow the prompts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.