Those with Slow SD Card Indexing Speeds
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By off1c3r
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Those with Slow SD Card Indexing Speeds in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'd be curious to hear details about the SD card you are using. Size, vendor, model number if one is ...
    georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Those with Slow SD Card Indexing Speeds

I'd be curious to hear details about the SD card you are using. Size, vendor, model number if one is printed on the card, and speed rating.

Speed rating is often shown as a capital "C" with a number inside the "C" on the card label. "C" with a 10 inside it is the fastest Class, and is supposed to represent 10 MB/s transfer speeds. But some C10 are a good bit faster than that and will have an additional speed printed on the label (like "40MB/s" or "45MB/s").

I don't know that we know on the CUE end what the max speed of their SD interface is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Those with Slow SD Card Indexing Speeds

So I went with a Sony SDHC 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 R-40 card rated at 40MB/s read speeds for my 9GB of music of approximately 3,300 songs. $12.99 at Amazon.

Not sure how long the initial index took, but it seemed to finish within a few minutes. First re-index after that (until the yellow circle stopped spinning on the Artists list) took 13 minutes. I can live with that.

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

I started a thread to rate such devices, but I am still waiting on my ATS to actually do the tests. I have a variety of cards to try out and I'll post my findings. The thing about Class 10 is its really 10-12MB/sec and up as you said. So yeah you have to read what you're actually buying. For example, for videographers, and professional users, 25MB/sec bare minimum (regardless of SD or CF) is really where "Class 10" starts.

With the re-index taking longer, the bottleneck seems to exist within the system itself. I doubt its the bus transfer speed from the card reader to system.
    Yplus and georule like this.

I tend to agree there is a limit to how much a fast card can help. I am curious tho if some folks are using an old card that they had in a drawer, or cheapest they could find, that would contribute to some people's issues that have been reported. A 40MB/s card might not help beyond a certain point, but an old C4 might still cause painfully slow reindexing.

I mentioned on the random reboot thread that the Infotainment team suggested I might have better luck with a 16GB card or USB stick than a 32GB one. They weren't firm about it, however. At any rate, I switched to a 16GB C10 40MB/s card from a slower 32GB USB stick. So far my reboot problem hasn't come back, but it is still early days. I did run it for about an hour last night with music decoding and Navigation going at the same time, and "messing" with the Navigation by taking "wrong" turns and forcing it to recalc the route. Then I made a call thru CUE via a Galaxy S4 that was paired with Bluetooth at the same time.

It didn't reboot. So that's a good start anyway. We'll see if it continues --I'm off on a 2K mile trip around the holidays, so that should be a very good test.

But even if I don't have another reboot, it won't say whether it was the downgrade to 16GB that did it, or the switch from a slowish USB to a high-end SD (or any USB to any SD, for that matter) that provided the "cure".

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    I tend to agree there is a limit to how much a fast card can help. I am curious tho if some folks are using an old card that they had in a drawer, or cheapest they could find, that would contribute to some people's issues that have been reported. A 40MB/s card might not help beyond a certain point, but an old C4 might still cause painfully slow reindexing.

I mentioned on the random reboot thread that the Infotainment team suggested I might have better luck with a 16GB card or USB stick than a 32GB one. They weren't firm about it, however. At any rate, I switched to a 16GB C10 40MB/s card from a slower 32GB USB stick. So far my reboot problem hasn't come back, but it is still early days. I did run it for about an hour last night with music decoding and Navigation going at the same time, and "messing" with the Navigation by taking "wrong" turns and forcing it to recalc the route. Then I made a call thru CUE via a Galaxy S4 that was paired with Bluetooth at the same time.

It didn't reboot. So that's a good start anyway. We'll see if it continues --I'm off on a 2K mile trip around the holidays, so that should be a very good test.

But even if I don't have another reboot, it won't say whether it was the downgrade to 16GB that did it, or the switch from a slowish USB to a high-end SD (or any USB to any SD, for that matter) that provided the "cure".
    I would say with your testing (and that's exactly what I would have done) I think you've solved your problem. I don't think the disk size matters here. Its more the file format, and the card brand/speed. For example, I've used 4GB USB Drives in my CTS and regardless if its formatted NTFS, or FAT32, it would randomly lock up my NAV system. On a 2011 CTS /w NAV, the NAV screen would lock up, all radio controls would stop working, music would go silent, and voice prompts stopped. Sound familiar? Sounds just like what the ATS users are experiencing. Short of shutting down the car, I had to wait until the NAV reboot itself which took at least 2 minutes. I switched it out to another brand and size and there were no issues. So, I definitely agree that brands and types can give a lot of users the headaches they have been having.

Added Alex & Sierra and Will Champlin to my SD card with 3,300 songs on it today.

Both were available within a minute. Went to the Alex and Sierra, started playing it, then went to look for Will Champlin (indexed with the "W") and it was already there.

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Georule, I'm using a Transcend 64GB High Speed 10 UHS Flash Memory Card from Amazon. I had first tested it with about 6k tracks (music, playlists and audiobooks) in a typical folder structure and indexing took a LONG time. (Do we know if it only indexes while the car is on/running?) Every time I attempted a voice command to play a song, I got the "media device is indexing..." notification from CUE. So, this weekend I'm knocking the number of songs way down, and putting only music on the SD card. I'm hoping to get a baseline that actually works all the time with voice commands and doesn't take long to index. Is it everyone's experience that indexing is a one-time shot upon SD card insertion, and that once completed, it doesn't need to do it again, right?

Anyway, I hope to play with it some more this weekend and will post results. I also have a call in to CUE customer care with a few questions and they owe me a call back today.

Don

Actually, it reindexes every time you start the vehicle. . . but it keeps the old index while it does it, so it will still be available. That's useful if you've just added a few songs to a large pre-existing store of songs.

I can't say that the "media device is indexing. . . " voice message has ever stopped me from actually using voice to go to the songs I want, unless they are brand new on the stick and the reindexing hasn't gotten to them yet. I just wait for it to get done warning me and then tell it what I want anyway, and it plays it. Which was the point of my Alex and Sierra, and Will Champlin, post. It added them pretty quickly.

I wish they'd kill that "media device is indexing. . . " message. It's worthless, in my view. I *always* get it when I get in the car and pick some music, which makes it just a tiresome waste of my time.

I popped in a 64gb Transcend 10x today that is probably 70% full. About 9k songs, 15-20 audiobooks, and another 2k-3k songs in playlists. All organized in neat folders. My commute in the morning is about 30 minutes and it was STILL indexing when I got in. The music shows as available, but I'll be damned if I can get the voice control to find a song or album. Very annoying to have to surf the screen to locate music.

All my albums are properly tagged, so cover art and artist info shows up fine. I've also tagged the audiobooks, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to show me the audiobooks from the screen menu. Anyone know? They're in a root folder called "Audiobooks" and tagged as audiobooks, but they weren't there. Maybe the indexing hadn't finished yet...

I don't know that I've tried specific albums, but "Play artist _______" works fine for me, even after just getting in the car and receiving that irritating message about initializing. I've got about 3,300 songs on a 16GB SD card. Usually takes about ~10-15 mins to reindex, tho unless I've changed the card since the last time (not often) or it has had a random reboot wiping out the index (unfortunately, this has now happened nearly 20 times in three months, most on long trips --see the reboot thread), the fact that reindexing is going on doesn't stop me from successfully using voice to play my music.

dchamb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    I am using a Patriot 256gb USB flash drive that is about 50 % full of mp3s with clean metadata and imbedded album art. I took a long 2 1 /2 hour drive and it still didn't complete reindexing. Ridiculous! CUE is one of the worst designed pieces of software I've encountered (and I am a retired software engineer).

From my observation, it looks like the reindexing goes in alphabetical order (or perhaps the sequence in which titles appear in the folder). If it went from newest to oldest, at least newly added titles would get updated to the index sooner. But the real issue is the indexing algorithm is horrible and needs redesign. If it can't be dramatically improved then find a way to index the content on a PC or Mac and have CUE just load that index.

Yowza! 256GB is ambitious! Agree, though. Can't see why the indexing or whatever is so slow. I'm not an engineer, but I'd think that USB drives have a FAT or other allocation table that could be used. I think you threw more at it than it could handle. I too had hoped to put everything in one place, but had the same results you're getting. After that I trimmed down my music collection, and separated my content into 3 different USB drives: Music on 32gb, pretty much full; playlists on another, I think it's an old one either 8 or 16gb; and finally audio books on yet another 32gb, and I never take them out.

2.5 hours is ridiculous, agree. I've got about 3,600 songs (with album art) in about 12GB (on a 16GB SD card). Extrapolating that out, you're well over 30,000 songs. . .but nonetheless, that's not an acceptable result.

DCHamb, I've heard reports that even if it's (re)indexing, you should be able to use voice commands. Have you had success with that? I think you can just ignore the verbal notification that it's busy and tell it to "Play Ziggy Stardust".

Yes, that works for me. . . .unless the song/artist I'm trying to play is a new one to the SD card and the re-indexing hasn't gotten to it yet. . . in which case it says something like "Pardon?".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.