SD Card or iPod better for music
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, SD Card or iPod better for music in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Just got a 2013 ATS with CUE. I would like to keep some semi-permanent music storage in the car connected ...
    BlueIS3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

SD Card or iPod better for music

Just got a 2013 ATS with CUE. I would like to keep some semi-permanent music storage in the car connected to CUE. My options are to either load my music into a 32 GB SD card (or flash drive) or connect an old iPod.

What are the pros and cons of each? Thinking the iPod is overkill and may even put more strain on the car battery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

flycaster is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: SD Card or iPod better for music

Don't know if I can give yo all the pros and cons, but I can say that I used Doubletwist to sync my all my iTunes music to a SD card and everything works perfectly well.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

I don't have Cue in my Cadillac but i've a Pioneer 4400-BH Double din and connected an 8gb micro thumb drive and routed the cabling for it to my center console storage. I went this route instead of an iPod because its easier for me. I made 5 folders and labeled them "rock, hip hop" etc and filled each of them with said genres.

Now i can just select a folder and shuffle it's contents and drive off, easy peazy.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

It's a lot easier to deal with playlists and keeping music in sync with iTunes by using your iPod, so I'd highly recommend using that since you already own it. Especially with large music collections, people seem to have issues with the system needing to re-catalog their music regularly. An iPod shouldn't put any extra strain on the car's electrical system; it's designed for that and will go to sleep when it's not being used.

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Agreed, Ipod is better than an SD Card. I've tried both and the problem is the system indexes every time you start the car. As SD Card can take 20 minutes to index where as an Ipod takes about 3 minutes. Plus you can use the play lists in the ipod.

Not sure about this indexing thing with my car. When I start up, music will play from my SD usually within a few seconds???

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

I use a memory stick that has almost 10k songs in the center console and I do not even have a indexing delay
    My music starts as soon as I start my car.
    My guess is I am formatting my music different than everyone else here.

As CTchick and I have had no problems with indexing, perhaps this problem has something to do with how the music is placed on the media? Once again, I used Doubletwist (a free program) to sync my iTunes library to a SD card. The card has been playing faultlessly, essentially starts playing music almost immediately after car's start up. I've made about 9 genre Favorites and they are ready to play with the touch of the Favorite button. Voice commands to play playlists, artist, etc are put into play without any delay. Perhaps the problem is how the media is formatted and/or how the music is transferred to the media???

BlueIS3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Right now I am trying it with a 8gb flash drive that i loaded direct with mp3 files. No folder arrangement. Simply started a Smart Playlist in iTunes and copy pastes to the drive. Working so far but I do get some indexing when I start.

Ordered a 32gb SD card from Amazon that should be here Tuesday. I will try the program you suggested when it comes.

bkcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

My CUE cannot deal with multi-tiered directory structures. It didn't know what to do on my first try with artist1; album1, album2, etc., artist2... It works fine once I wrote individual files right into the root of the SD drive. Of course, this is a real pain in the butt...especially vis-ā-vis my $10 mp3 player that has no difficulty deciphering directory trees of any order. There is really no excuse for this kind of thing. Was GM somehow involved in the rollout of Obamacare? And then there's the nuisance of having to manually set the time and date on a GPS-equipped system. And then there's...oh, never mind. A group of undergrads could come up with something this sophisticated in a three-hour lab session.

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

CTS Chick, I just picked up my '13 ATS and have a 64gb SD card on the way. It looks like you're not having any issues and like you, I've got a large collection to put on the card. Can you explain the folder structure you used on your SD card?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Don in Woodbridge, VA

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.