iPhone and Cue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, iPhone and Cue in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My iPhone-5 Bluetooth connects to Cue for calls, however I can receive texts on the phone but I do not ...
    Mark ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): m-silverman@comcast.net

iPhone and Cue

My iPhone-5 Bluetooth connects to Cue for calls, however I can receive texts on the phone but I do not get the audible alert of a text, either on the phone or Cue. I get the vibrate but no sound. Same issue with Ford Sync. Sync will notify only if i am streaming music which I rarely do. Both the Cue folks and Ford Sync say it is an Apple issue. Anybody have same issue and more importantly, anyone have a solution?

Thanks, Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: iPhone and Cue

Quote Originally Posted by Mark ATS View Post
    My iPhone-5 Bluetooth connects to Cue for calls, however I can receive texts on the phone but I do not get the audible alert of a text, either on the phone or Cue. I get the vibrate but no sound. Same issue with Ford Sync. Sync will notify only if i am streaming music which I rarely do. Both the Cue folks and Ford Sync say it is an Apple issue. Anybody have same issue and more importantly, anyone have a solution?

Thanks, Mark
    Switching to Windows Phone is a solution. CUE will take and read texts with Windows Phones. I think there may be apps for iPhones and Androids but probably don't work as well as native with WP.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Do you have the CUE update from earlier this year? There was a major problem with bluetooth connectivity and iPhones since CUE only wanted to connect via the "handsfree" profile and not the "bluetooth audio" profile. Try to remove the device from the CUE bluetooth settings. "Forget" CUE on your iPhone and try to re-pair. If it still doesn't work, you either have an old CUE version, an old iOS version, or you have a setting on your phone preventing bluetooth audio profiles.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Switching to Motorola/Android/MotoSpeak is a solution. I have that and it works well.

mong8se is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium 6M Thunder Gray/Morello Red

This is my understand, someone please pitch in if I'm wrong.

The way bluetooth works is there are a series of "profiles" which define how the two devices interact.

For instance there is the Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP).

Your phone uses this profile to tell CUE what is the name and info of the track being played, how to pause/play etc.

If you're listening to the radio, or a CD, or a thumbdrive (basically anything other than bluetooth streaming), and you get a text on your phone, how is CUE supposed to know that the phone wants to play a text alert, as opposed to any other audio it might want to stream, your music, etc? One wouldn't want CUE to stream music from your phone while you're listening to the radio. Think about the "source" on your tv. If you tv is set to "cable" and you're watching cable, you don't expect sounds from the dvd player to be layered on top of it.

So there needs to be a profile that allows the phone to tell CUE that it has an alert, not just audio to stream. Now there are these profiles:

"The Phone Alert Status profile (PASP) and Alert notification profile (ANP) allows a client device (e.g. a wristwatch) to receive notifications from another device (e.g. a phone)."

The problem is, they're part of Bluetooth LE which is really new, and not widely supported.

Unless CUE gets updated to support Bluetooth LE (and you have a new enough phone), CUE won't be able to play notification sounds unless you are set to bluetooth streaming. The reason that works, is CUE is just playing everything streaming from the phone. The text message comes in, the phone itself layers the alert onto the streaming audio, not CUE.

Quote Originally Posted by mong8se View Post
    Unless CUE gets updated to support Bluetooth LE (and you have a new enough phone), CUE won't be able to play notification sounds unless you are set to bluetooth streaming. The reason that works, is CUE is just playing everything streaming from the phone. The text message comes in, the phone itself layers the alert onto the streaming audio, not CUE.
    First, thanks for the interesting links.

But there must be another way because Windows Phone does notify you thru CUE of text messages and can read them to you thru the car's audio system. But its not like you describe because I do not stream music from my phone. CUE appears to just simply interupt whatever audio source is active (radio or SD card in my case) and pass the phone's audio notifications and prompts thru the car's speakers. My point being, it is possible for CUE 1.0 to do what the OP wants. Windows Phone just seems to be able to do that out of the box, while iPhones and Androids don't. So I have to conclude that since CUE works great with a more modern phone OS, its the phones that are lacking rather than CUE. And that nobody has to replace their car or wait for a vaporware update to CUE. They just need the right phone or find and install an app to let their Android phone (and maybe iPhone) work with CUE for text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    First, thanks for the interesting links.

But there must be another way because Windows Phone does notify you thru CUE of text messages and can read them to you thru the car's audio system. But its not like you describe because I do not stream music from my phone. CUE appears to just simply interupt whatever audio source is active (radio or SD card in my case) and pass the phone's audio notifications and prompts thru the car's speakers. My point being, it is possible for CUE 1.0 to do what the OP wants. Windows Phone just seems to be able to do that out of the box, while iPhones and Androids don't. So I have to conclude that since CUE works great with a more modern phone OS, its the phones that are lacking rather than CUE. And that nobody has to replace their car or wait for a vaporware update to CUE. They just need the right phone or find and install an app to let their Android phone (and maybe iPhone) work with CUE for text messages.
    It's completely possible there is another profile I'm not aware of that CUE and Windows phone both support.

It's also possible that CUE already supports Bluetooth LE and so does your windows phone. I shouldn't have said "Unless CUE gets updated", really meant "Unless CUE already does or is updated to"

I will dig it into it because my curiosity is piqued. I have a relatively new android phone and the very latest android OS that came out about a week ago, and it doesn't do what you describe.

EDIT: Looks like there is another bluetooth profile called "MAP", message access protocol, which might be the one working for Windows Phone. Especially if it is only sms notifications that come in, and not others.

But iphone 5 supports bluetooth MAP, so in theory it should work for the OP.

Still researching.

It's also possible that CUE already supports Bluetooth LE and so does your windows phone.
    Bluetooth LE (low energy) is part of BlueTooth 4.0. My Windows phone has the hardware and firmware (as of Amber) but I don't believe any device has implemented it yet (at least thru the end of October) due to APIs not being finished. It will be very soon though. So based on that, I would say CUE also doesn't have Bluetooth 4.0.

----------

But iphone 5 supports bluetooth MAP, so in theory it should work for the OP.

Still researching.
    iPhone users will be grateful if you find a way.

I don't know about you but I'm pretty disgusted at the lack of published specs for CUE. And not just for Bluetooth. Owners can't find out the USB spec used, or what file requirements are for album art, and the list goes on. It's not like Cadillac doesn't know them. It shows an incredible amount of arrogance and disrespect to ignore the requests by owners. Really makes me wish that Snowden had worked for GM instead of the US govt.

Bluetooth LE (low energy) is part of BlueTooth 4.0. My Windows phone has the hardware and firmware (as of Amber) but I don't believe any device has implemented it yet (at least thru the end of October) due to APIs not being finished. It will be very soon though. So based on that, I would say CUE also doesn't have Bluetooth 4.0.
    Yeah my almost year-old Android phone has the hardware support for 4 and LE, but the week old Android 4.4 KitKat on it is slim pickins for Bluetooth profiles. The android BT stack is weak. The funny thing is, googling this problem, on iPhone boards people complain that Android does BT better and Apple is messing up, and on android boards people complain that iPhone does BT better and Google is messing up.

Neither of them mention Windows phone, to your chagrin.

I don't know about you but I'm pretty disgusted at the lack of published specs for CUE. And not just for Bluetooth. Owners can't find out the USB spec used, or what file requirements are for album art, and the list goes on. It's not like Cadillac doesn't know them. It shows an incredible amount of arrogance and disrespect to ignore the requests by owners. Really makes me wish that Snowden had worked for GM instead of the US govt.
    Yeah it's ridiculous how little info there is when you google for the specs.

One thing I did find is that people on the internet are having success with other cars and their iPhones doing this:

Settings > Bluetooth > press (i) next to device name > Show Notifications = ON

However, when I do this on my wife's iPhone 5 with iOS 7, on that screen I don't have any "Show Notifications" to turn on, just "Sync Contacts" and other options.

I've tried repairing and rebooting and doesn't show up, so there is something weird with the interaction.

If anyone else has an iPhone 4 or better, and is on iOS 6, I'm curious if the option shows up for you.

Still digging.

Thank you for the responses, although I must admit I don't understand much of it. I am not a tech guy, but I do know that the iPhone 5 is very popular worldwide and I would think major auto manufacturers would try to make their system work with the iPhone. I do not care if I receive my texts through Cue. I would be fine with being notified though the phone, but apparently while connected to Bluetooth, which works well, the iPhone thinks the notification should be through Cue.

Also, I should not have to change phones to get a basic feature like text notifications to work. Not that big a deal and I can live with this. But after buying a "world class" car like the ATS (which I really enjoy driving) and the world's best selling smart phone, should I have to?

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thank you for the responses, although I must admit I don't understand much of it. I am not a tech guy, but I do know that the iPhone 5 is very popular worldwide and I would think major auto manufacturers would try to make their system work with the iPhone. I do not care if I receive my texts through Cue. I would be fine with being notified though the phone, but apparently while connected to Bluetooth, which works well, the iPhone thinks the notification should be through Cue.

Also, I should not have to change phones to get a basic feature like text notifications to work. Not that big a deal and I can live with this. But after buying a "world class" car like the ATS (which I really enjoy driving) and the world's best selling smart phone, should I have to?
    I'm with the OP and so are a few of my customers.

Okay so in the CUE manual it says:

Bluetooth
    From the Bluetooth screen button,
    the following may be displayed:

- Add New Device: Press to add a
    new device.

- Device Management: Press to
    connect to a different phone
    source, disconnect a phone,
    or delete a phone.

- Ringtones: Press to change the
    ring tone for the specific phone.
    The phone does not need to be
    connected to change the
    ring tone.

- Voice Mail Numbers: This
    feature displays the voice mail
    number for all connected
    phones. The voice mail number
    may be changed by pressing the
    EDIT button, typing in the new
    number, and pressing SAVE.
    Press the [ Back screen button
    to go back to the previous menu.

- Text Message Alerts: This
    feature will turn text message
    alerts on or off. Press Text
    Message Alerts and then select
    OFF or ON. Press the [ Back
    screen button to go back to the
    previous menu. See Text
    Messaging on page 97.
    My CUE (I have the 2013 premium w/ Nav) doesn't have that last option, "Text Alerts", the very last thing on my list is "Voice Mail Numbers".

My theory is IF I did have that option, and I went on my wife's iPhone (as I stated above) to

Settings > Bluetooth > press (i) next to device name

That "show notifications" would show up.

So Mark ATS, I wonder if you have "text alerts" in

CUE > settings > bluetooth

and if you have the above iphone setting, and what each one is set to.

I am not sure how to figure out why I don't even have "text alerts" listed ... is that an extra option, or is that not included w/ nav?

I don't have an i next to my device and I don't have text alert options. Perhaps an older version of Cue?

I don't have an i next to my device and I don't have text alert options. Perhaps an older version of Cue?
    Do you have iOS 7 on your iphone? That one had a blue (i) next to the device name "CADILLAC CUE", but if you have iOS 6, it might not have anything next to it, you may just have to click on the name to get the options. I'm not sure about iOS 6 because my wife's phone is updated to 7 (and she hates the new colors).

If you can get into those options on your phone for "CADILLAC CUE", you may be able to change the "Show notifications" setting (if it shows up) and then maybe the phone itself will ding when you get a text, since you don't have "text alerts" on your CUE.

But I really want to know why neither you nor I have "text alerts" listed on our CUE bluetooth settings.

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The cue manual and the vehicle manual references "text message" stuff in a couple places but the darned cars don't have texting right now. Confusing I know.

Ios7 has the blue circle with the i in it but won't have a "show notifications" option.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.