App Shop
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pissedoffwookiee
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, App Shop in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Has anybody heard anything with Cadillac new app shop...
    ewhite77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Xts

App Shop

Has anybody heard anything with Cadillac new app shop

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Re: App Shop

Nothing but crickets and we're on year two since I saw a custom app on a CUE screen in an advertisement....don't hold you're breath.

Hockeyfox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX

Really disappointing. They have the interface which you can customize but basically that customization is limited to saving favorites and moving the icons around. Nothing earth shattering here. Physical buttons might actually be better in some instances. Sure hope we are all treated to a nice xmas present by Cadillac in the form of upgrades to the CUE system.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

The best part about CUE is that big screen for using your backup camera. If they just managed to make the screen available an an AirPlay device, like a car version of the Apple TV, but NOT for videos, then it would be hugely more valuable. The reality is of all the tech in the car, the coolest feature is actually the DIC. I use that way more than the touch screen of CUE. I just wish there was more you could do with the DIC.

You can't blame Cadillac entirely. I mean, they tried to do something radical, and the interior looks great with that screen sitting there. But Apple's in-car initiative is going to outflank it and it seems at least Chevy is embracing it and probably Cadillac will too. They've just invested so much marketing effort into CUE that they need to develop a smooth transition strategy. As I said, I wouldn't be shocked if CUE becomes more of a simple device to control in-car features, and then hands over entertainment to Airplay and maybe even Chromecast type features.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I'm not computer literate but couldn't the CUE system be made into a simple pass through for the smartphone of your choice? I mean other than the car functions that are incorporated in it, couldn't the OS of your phone be the major OS for the infotainment part of the CUE system? Is that something that would be outside of the ability of the CUE hardware?

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Supposedly CUE is running on a 3-core NEC ARM11, which would put it roughly on par with an iPhone 3G for horsepower. So not latest/greatest, but not shabby either.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Supposedly CUE is running on a 3-core NEC ARM11, which would put it roughly on par with an iPhone 3G for horsepower. So not latest/greatest, but not shabby either.
    a quick google search has the NEC ARM 11 @ 700MHz

the iPhone 3GS is 600MHz

the iPhone 4 is 800MHz

the iPhone 4s is dual core 800MHz that can overclock itself to 1GHz (it's actually a 1GHz chip downclocked)

the iPhone 5 has dual core chip with variable speed from 1 - 1.3GHz and a separate 3 core 266MHz video chip

so assuming CUE apps are optimized for multithreading with 3 cores running I would peg CUE's horepower are hovering between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 depending on how many cores are allowed to chew on the app at any given time.

assuming the apps are not optimized to this hardware's multithreading then the best this could do is be squarely between 3gs and 4.

one thing to note, it would be equivalent to 3 iPhone 3gs/4 , meaning is could run apps no faster than 700MHz but could run 3 separate apps at full speed, unless apps were optimized for multithreading in which case CUE could spread the processing of a single app across all 3 cores and bring more processing to bear in which case you'd see power nearer to iPhone 5 but not quite match it.

a side note, last week i had the opportunity to drive the CTS V-Sport and was told CUE can display a total of 6 home screens, and thus supports a total of 48 apps, should be fun!!
    Maxplot and georule like this.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

I can't point at it at the moment, but somewhere I remember hearing or reading that two of the three cores were "dedicated" to voice recognition duties in CUE. Don't take it to the bank, but I just toss that into the mix because I did see it/hear it somewhere.

Edit: Ahh, here it is, one of the Grand Old Men of computer hardware review sites: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cad...-ux,20143.html

The technology is driven by a 3-core ARM processor, two of which are reserved for voice recognition.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    I can't point at it at the moment, but somewhere I remember hearing or reading that two of the three cores were "dedicated" to voice recognition duties in CUE. Don't take it to the bank, but I just toss that into the mix because I did see it/hear it somewhere.

Edit: Ahh, here it is, one of the Grand Old Men of computer hardware review sites: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cad...-ux,20143.html
    then we have a slightly quicker iPhone 3gs in our dash that needs to go back to school because she is downright stupid when it comes to voice, the 3gs did better with voice with only one core doing everything, and CUE is using 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.