Complacency has set in
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By inspectorudy
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Complacency has set in in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I am sort of sad that we have all thrown in the towel on inputs to the whiz kids of ...
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Complacency has set in

I am sort of sad that we have all thrown in the towel on inputs to the whiz kids of GM's CUE system. I understand because I have learned to live with what we have and to just not cause friction every time I get into my wife's car. I have become comfortable with the items that work for me and have dumped the ones that are too much trouble to fool with. The big losers will be us and the future CUE users if we accept this inferior product that can and should be improved. If we don't continue to push the design team to bring us bigger and better offerings then we deserve what we get. As the Beta testers of this new system we owe it to the future buyers of this system to push for more applications and an upgraded system. There were promises made to us by GM and Cadillac that have not been met and even though time is still out on the promises I hope that we as a group do not let them forget us and their promise to us. When you come to this site it is up to all of us to keep the info fresh and interesting and to keep the pressure on GM to follow through on their great idea to lead the auto world with a new and innovative system. I want Apps!
    rustybear3 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: Complacency has set in

Hey Inspector, I definitely agree with your stated sentiments about GM coming to bat and honoring their promise of CUE updates. I have seen that the promise is in writing and I can't figure out how Caddy can back down from their written promise. I know that we should still give them some time to come forward (even though they have updated CUE for 2014), but do wonder about the legality of Caddy not updating (as promised) our CUE system. I'm thinking that it would cost them big dollars to update because it will have to go through the dealers and Caddy will have to pay them; nonetheless, come on Caddy, do the right thing...

Hockeyfox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX

Cadillac offers free maintenance on the vehicle for 4 years. At that time I would think it would be relatively easy and add very little in additional labor cost to update the CUE system during our maintenance visit. My understanding is that the hardware is robust enough and is not the dog in the equation. A decent staff of programmers should be able to improve our CUE experience. It would be nice if Cadillac could provide updates on the status of CUE development. I have a 2014 SRX and have experienced freezes and have had to reset my CUE once. The in dash display (3 configurable regions) never memorizes my settings for the middle larger display (I set to media/audio) and no one can tell me why. I definitely feel like I am beta testing a program that is not 100% ready for prime time. Most of the time it does work, but there are far too many times where it doesn't or there are quirks. I really hope GM has staff committed to making the CUE experience much better. Now that they have rolled out a very similar interface to other GM products, I hope this bodes well for future development. I have to believe the core program is the same across the GM brand and we will benefit from having a larger audience take part in the testing of the interface.

bmcleod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 2.0T AWD
    I haven't been on the forum in some time but finally decided to see if others had discovered solutions to the many CUE issues. I've only read a few CUE threads so far but see others are having many of the same problems. It's unfortunate to see this as I had high hopes for CUE and it highly influenced my buying decision, now it's the only real disappointment with my ATS so far. I agree with the inspector, we need to keep pushing the CUE team to make this product usable.

I'm an Apple/iPhone user and as a major platform I think it's reasonable to expect it to interface completely, Android users should expect the same. Like others I depend on Siri more than CUE, especially for directions (and the guy who built Apple maps got fired for building such a bad product). I used to call the infotainment team when I had a problem and found them very friendly and seemed to honestly want to help, however they rarely had heard of or could solve my problems. Cue is over a year old now and improvements should be far along, I'll try to be more proactive with input and solutions.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Good to see that you are still such a gleaming optimist

Political posts deleted before the snowball builds.

I have always been an admirer of snowballs!

I really hope you are referring to the type of snowball involving moisture condensing and freezing in the atmosphere, and not the other kind...

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

I'm still optimistic, but if anyone from GM reads this thread, the burden of proof is on them to show users they mean what they promised about this being an expandable, updatable system that can accommodate third-party apps. If they let the systems in the older vehicles languish, they're going to disappoint a lot of customers.

I think/hope things will get better (and easier for GM) as the new AT&T LTE OnStar systems roll out and they can push large software updates to cars more easily, but I still want to be able to take my existing cars to the dealer to have the most recent CUE updates installed.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Smartphone makers on the edge of tech can't seem to manage to keep 18 month old phones and tablets updated. Do really think a car manufacturer with an infotainment system designed by the lowest bidder 5 years ago is going to do better?

InspectorR your cynicism must be rubbing off on me. Of course I hope the car manufacturers give up soon on the in dash iPads and go back to plain old radios. It was bad enough when motorists were distracted changing radio stations. Now they can be flipping through pages of apps at 70mph instead of, oh, you know, DRIVING.

Jimmy H, I'm not a cynic but having been trained as an engineer many years ago I tend to look at the most efficient way of doing a job. CUE has taken so many easy simple tasks and made them into time and eye consuming projects that it is hard to understand the thinking of the designers behind them. It is sort of like the new era of aftermarket Japanese and Asian radios where the on/off button is nonexistent and simple command buttons are so small that no one but a 14 year old can read them. VCR time set anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    I wouldn't hold your breath. Smartphone makers on the edge of tech can't seem to manage to keep 18 month old phones and tablets updated. Do really think a car manufacturer with an infotainment system designed by the lowest bidder 5 years ago is going to do better?
    I assume you're referring to the iPad 1 which I grant you was abandoned too soon, but I would argue is an anomaly. Using the recently released iOS 7 as a benchmark, the 4.5 year old iPhone 3GS was dropped, but the 3.5 year old iPhone 4 is still supported (and sold), as is the 2.5 year old iPad 2. I can't answer for MS or Android devices.

Certainly these aren't big numbers but if you're giving the CUE team a pass because technology marches on I disagree. I think the hardware platform they've built should at least be able to support 'CUE 2.0', even if newer features aren't added and only the base product is improved.

I am a cynic. And I maintain that car manufacturers are putting way too many distractions into these cars. Between that and cell phones, driving the highways is getting to be like being in a bumper car arena. Without the bumpers.

Whether CUE works or doesn't, I maintain that it doesn't belong.

You've made your position clear. However CUE (and other infotainment systems) are here, in my opinion getting them to work properly for basic functions like playing music, taking and making calls, and giving directions COULD reduce the interaction with the screen and minimize distractions. I agree with you that these systems if designed, implemented, or used improperly can increase distracted driving. Given that, those of us who've purchased and want to use CUE should continue to help and push to make it better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.