2014 ATS - a few random CUE questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, 2014 ATS - a few random CUE questions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Folks -- a proud owner of a new 2014 ATS here. My first time with CUE, so a few questions... ...
    Eckless is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

2014 ATS - a few random CUE questions

Folks -- a proud owner of a new 2014 ATS here. My first time with CUE, so a few questions...

1. The CUE manual says there's an option to view audio files on a USB drive via album, song, podcast, etc...but also a "Folder View". I have been looking for this and can't find it...does it exist?
    2. Has anybody found any combination of audio formats on a USB drive or SD card that will allow gapless play (rather than ripping my CD's as a single long track)? (sorry, unwilling to use an iPod for this)
    3. Is there any way to force a "reconstruction" of the audio library? I had some tracks on a USB drive, deleted a few of them, and CUE still thinks they're there -- when I select one of the (now deleted) albums, it starts quickly cycling through several random tracks on the USB drive.

Thank you!
    Eckless

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alevine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have a similar question: is there a limit on the number of songs that can be indexed? I believe it's 4095 based on some outside sources. Nobody at Cadillac or GM corporate can tell me. Seems only the programmer knows and s/he's not talking. I filled up a 64GB drive and was unable to locate many of the songs on CUE, though my PC see's them just fine. Anybody know fir sure?

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Re: 2014 ATS - a few random CUE questions

@ Alevine: Interesting thread, I just hung up with CUE Customer Service and asked similar questions:

1. What is the recommended/prescribed folder format, if any, for media organization on a USB or SD? He's reaching out to a tech expert at a local dealership and is supposed to get back to me, but he DID say he knows there's a nested folder limit of 8 levels for media storage. When he gets back to me I'll ask your question and see what limits there are, if any. 4K media files seems WAY too low to me.

@ Eckless, I've only had my 2013 ATS 5 days, but I believe if you pull out the storage media you're using and then re-insert, it should force a re-indexing procedure. Another thread on this forum tells how to force a reboot of our CUE system (not a factory reset, just a "soft reboot"):
    1. open the faceplate with the car running and CUE on.
    2. turn the car off
    3. open the drivers door and wait 60 seconds.
    4. restart the car, and CUE should reboot, supposedly you see a rotating circle icon on the screen.

I haven't tried this yet but plan on making it a weekly routine, if it helps keep the bugs out, just as any other smart phone or PC.

*** Update: I just called the rep back and added your questions to mine:

1. Is there a limit to the number of files the storage can contain?

2. Is there a size limit of the storage device? (i.e., does it recognize 64gb SD cards, etc.?)

More as it happens...

Don

----------

Eckless, re-reading your 2nd question... not sure what you mean. If you're playing a playlist, there should only be a brief pause between songs? If you lookup and start playing a single album, my assumption would be that it will play the whole album without pause, again, with only a brief pause between tracks? I have yet to try this as I'm still experimenting with my SD card. First load was about 9k songs, some in folders by artist/album, others in playlists, but to make getting to the bottom of this whole discussion faster, I'm going to reduce the number of songs and folders to just a few and see how it behaves.

For your first question, the folder structure can be found in the menu somewhere, I don't recall where. I think you need to go to Home, then Audio, then select Album, and I *think* folder view comes up as an option when you select Browse from there...

Don

Eckless is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Don -- thank you for the response. Regarding your question about "gapless" -- if you rip a CD to MP3 where the tracks should run smoothly from one to another (for example, concerts where there is often applause between tracks, or DJ sets where there should be no break between tracks), ideally the player should go right from one track to the next, without even a milli-second of pause between the tracks. CUE puts a small pause between tracks regardless. Imagine if the end of track 6 were a beep, and the beginning of track 7 were the same beep, on a CD player you'd hear a continuous beep. If you rip that CD to MP3 and then play those on CUE, you'll hear BEEP (small pause) BEEP. A true gapless player would just play the continuous beep. It is a challenge to implement gapless (because at the end of one track you need to have some of the next track in the buffer) but it's 2014 and we should be able to do those things since I had music players in the 2000's that had no problem with it.

I'll be honest I've kinda given up on the SD "foibles" and am doing bluetooth exclusively now since most music players on my Android phone can handle gapless. But it would be nice to get back to the SD cards...

How funny it is about what we all want from this car, everyone's expectations vary so much. Wasn't even aware of the whole gapless playback at all. It's not something I would expect from CUE at all. It sure sounds like you'll be better off just streaming from your phone or device via BT. I think your example above forces the assumption that you'd be always listening to an entire album or playlist, rather than a given song at a time, therefore it would know to always automatically queue up the next track in the buffer. Obviously it wasn't set up that way. Still, as you say, if a hand-held device can do it, you'd think... Oh, well.

I've re-loaded a USB with playlists only, and the 64gb SD card with about 20 artists (probably 30 albums total and about 1200 tracks total), and will see how it behaves. Yesterday on the drive home I tried using voice command about 10 times to pull up a given song, and it didn't get it once, but I think it was still indexing. The CUE manual does say that at less than 4k media tracks (music+audiobooks+podcasts+video) you can say "Play song + songname" in one command and it should work, but that between 4k and 8k tracks on the media, you have to first say "Play song", wait for CUE to prompt you for the song name, then say "songname." This implies that the indexing system is two-stage when the amount of media is higher than 4k items.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it. It's just a matter of experimenting a little at a time to see how it works and behaves, and besides, it's a computer dammit, so it must do my will!

I have a ticket open with CUE customer care and they're supposed to call back today for an update on our questions.

I'm considering creating screen protectors (like for a tablet or smart phone screen), and plan on installing mine this weekend after I get a template set up. Interested, for a reasonable fee? I'm doing mine so I know the screen will never get scratched as a result of wiping it down... No idea what the cost would be at this point.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis View Post
    @ Alevine: Interesting thread, I just hung up with CUE Customer Service and asked similar questions:

1. What is the recommended/prescribed folder format, if any, for media organization on a USB or SD? He's reaching out to a tech expert at a local dealership and is supposed to get back to me.......
    Am I the only one who finds that tragically comic or comically tragic? The official Support people can not get any information from the designers who actually know the answers so they ask a 3rd party who knows nothing at all other than what they think they have observed in the wild. That is insane, people.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice
    I think FAT format is what you should use.

Yeah, I know. The "expert at a local dealership" is probably some PFY who's learning by observing, like us.

On a positive note, it did index a 1000-song play list on a USB w/o problems on Saturday. Not crazy about how they're tagged but that's not CUE's fault. Then this morning I inserted the SD card and it appears to have indexed pretty quickly, with about another 2k songs available. I think having each song properly tagged is a big plus, especially if you want the album cover to show, at the moment I have a big mish-mash of artists and albums as a result of the large playlist combined with the other stuff. Has anyone taken the approach of creating a playlist for each album then just using the playlist browser to play albums? I'm also not terribly crazy that when you have two media devices plugged in like I do now (USB and SD card), it doesn't separate them, you just get one list as if it were one device.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I am driving a '14 ATS as a loaner while my car is in for servicing and the CUE system is way faster than my "Updated" '13 SRX. I do not know what my update
    number is but I hope we eventually get the one that is on the new '14's. There is almost no lag time for any input which I have on my '13. Does anyone now the status of the next update? Also, when I paired my phone to the ATS it took less than one minute to pair it.

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

When the system is done indexing you can store an album on one of the favorites buttons and as long as you do not have random turned on it will play the album property when you select that favorite button.

CUEemUp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi Eckless,
    I work on the CUE system and for GM. This post is not representative of the company and I am posting as an individual.
    1. Folder view is for a later software version and should have been phrased as "if available" in the manual

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by CUEemUp View Post
    Hi Eckless,
    I work on the CUE system and for GM. This post is not representative of the company and I am posting as an individual.
    1. Folder view is for a later software version and should have been phrased as "if available" in the manual
    Thanks for posting, and I hope it doesn't get you in trouble with anyone that you did so. Feel free to comment on lots of stuff talked about around here.

I'm sure there are many here who hope that "later software version" is made available to '13 and '14 MY owners. I'd like to have that myself.

gdavids47 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by CUEemUp View Post
    Hi Eckless,
    CUEemUP,

Any chance you know the conditions under which this feature will/would be available? Is it only available on certain models, certain software release, etc.?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.