GM astroturfing on auto forums
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, GM astroturfing on auto forums in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Drudge has a link that is no longer workable that claims that the GM PR team has been caught astroturfing ...
    inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

GM astroturfing on auto forums

Drudge has a link that is no longer workable that claims that the GM PR team has been caught astroturfing the GM product forums. Do you suppose we have any on this forum?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Re: GM astroturfing on auto forums

For those of us not in the know, what exactly does this mean?

It means that a company or an organization assigns their people to go onto forums with the company's/organization's viewpoint and pretend to be customers/believers of that product/viewpoint. You can see it if you go to a lot of different forums when the thread is negative towards an item or idea and then someone will redirect the thread to a more positive view. There is nothing wrong with the view except it is written by the defending entity and not a true owner/believer. I have experienced attacks because I am outspoken on any subject that interest me and when it differs from the crowd then the attacks become personal. I cannot understand this but I guess it is the "Don't comment unless you have something nice to say" rule. When we are discussing our purchased product, our views needs to be expressed to get the manufacturer to change things that we have discovered to be deficient. For others the product is family to them and they will defend it to the end. BTW, Drudge took down the link after it failed. I do not know why.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

so drudge is just a content aggregator ... no original content

so the link failed? due to too much traffic?
    Do you remember what the site was?

----------

drudge has been known to put up a link to a story that is just patently false (or speculation portrayed as fact) and then remove the link once it's clear that the story is unfounded (or at least has no real proof to it)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The headline to the link said "GM PR team caught astroturfing on forums". I haven't had a lot of bad experiences with the Drudge website so I do not know why the link was withdrawn. As anyone that reads Drudge knows he mostly puts up stories from other sources and has no real ability to get out and hoof it for scoops like the really big time networks who have recently ALL gotten the Navy yard shooting 100% wrong. They also got the Sandy Hook shooting 100% wrong. Even the liberal Scott Pelley of NBC said that his network should be ashamed of their content because it was so inaccurate. So considering all of this I can't see where Drudge should be singled out for dishonest or incorrect postings. I thought it was interesting that GM would do something like astroturfing since they have web sites with defenders of every model the make. A little too much criticism of a product and the personal attacks start. Are those attacks from astroturfers? Who knows.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

This is the article he is talking about

http://dailykanban.com/2013/09/16/se...rom-inside-gm/

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

It is an interesting subject that I think has a bit more nuance to it than one may infer from reading that article ... hopefully there will be more on this subject aired out in the open

i would assume (and hope) that most of the online forum activity from IPs originating at the RenCen is not coordinated and is one person's opinion on the subject at hand

----------

i also wonder how much of that 198.208.x.x traffic we have here
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Hey, as long as the PR people keep it honest and no BS I don't have a problem with paid advocacy. If they mislead or try to prevent someone from seeking outside help on an issue of warranty for example then it would cross the line. If they personally target people who complain about their products that too would cross the line for me.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

In this information & misinformation age I am not surprised and wouldn't be surprised if all Auto companies do it.

I have read plenty of bad reviews or complaints on products that was clearly obvious the poster didn't even own the product.
    This forum is littered with plenty of 1 or 2 post posters with complaints that never come back again that are just enough to show up on a internet search engine.

I also think the article failed to display any type of proof that would concern me, Other than improper conduct and comments.
    Where was the proof of any shill posts Saying I own X & X GM and it is the best car I have ever owned and I have never had a problem like that & ect ??

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    In this information & misinformation age I am not surprised and wouldn't be surprised if all Auto companies do it.

I have read plenty of bad reviews or complaints on products that was clearly obvious the poster didn't even own the product.
    This forum is littered with plenty of 1 or 2 post posters with complaints that never come back again that are just enough to show up on a internet search engine.

I also think the article failed to display any type of proof that would concern me, Other than improper conduct and comments.
    Where was the proof of any shill posts Saying I own X & X GM and it is the best car I have ever owned and I have never had a problem like that & ect ??
    I agree with this ^^

All sorts of people come to car forums:

People who are emotionally devoted to the brand and will love it even if it's total junk (nothing implied there...). Those same people will usually be present to hate on anyone who criticizes the brand.

There are new/new-used owners seeking information about the brand, service, modifications, repairs, general information, etc. Most of their questions could be answered by reading the manual.

There are those who are disgruntled new/new-used buyers that were first time Cadillac owners and due to a disappointing lemon or unmet expectations, they are here to announce that they are done with GM forever. These are the people that post once or twice and are never heard from again. They're here to show up on a Google search to dissuade potential buyers from the brand.

The forum is here for all the above and more. I wouldn't be surprised if every car manufacturer took the time to self promote by shilling as a new owner on car forums. In my opinion they're no more or less legitimate than the 1-2 post disgruntled member that's here just to sling poo.

Just my 2 cents.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Thanks everyone for the explanation. I would say from my pov that it appeared right after the 2013 XTS was released, there was quite a bit of actual response from GM, codeman for example, and now there seems to be a lot of crickets chirping, pretty disheartening. I just would have hoped for more.... BTW, this is my 4th Cadillac, so i am obviously not going anywhere...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.