3,285 miles in seven days with CUE in my month-old SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, 3,285 miles in seven days with CUE in my month-old SRX in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Just got home. Largely a very enjoyable trip in a very comfortable and well-performing vehicle. Started in Minnesota down thru ...
    georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

3,285 miles in seven days with CUE in my month-old SRX

Just got home. Largely a very enjoyable trip in a very comfortable and well-performing vehicle.

Started in Minnesota down thru Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and home again.

On the less-happy side, CUE rebooted spontaneously three times while running the navigation and simultaneously playing music from a USB stick. Once, I think, the reboot was triggered by plugging my wife's Galaxy S4 into one of the USB ports to charge. The other two times. . . no idea what the trigger was. Fairly annoying when it happens tho, as it takes some time to recover both the navigation and the USB stick index (about 2500 songs).

We also noticed that the "arrival time" for longish routes on "US" highways was far overestimated (too long) on CUE navigation vs our Garmin GPS (which was also along for the trip as a check against what CUE was showing). Usually an hour over estimated, but in one case two hours. Over time on the specific route the CUE estimate slowly "came in" to the Garmin estimate. These routes were generally 200 miles or more at start.

My guess is that CUE was not dealing as well with "US" highways that had a variety of speed limits along them that might range from 35mph in some spots to 65mph in others.

CUE navigation did much better on "I" interstates as to estimates initially agreeing with (and ultimately being correct) with Garmin's estimates.

Then there was the time in Oklahoma where a McDonald's we searched for came up as found, with an address shown, and when "Go" was hit, CUE insisted (after reporting the address initially) that the McDonald's wasn't on any known road and refused to estimate an arrival time and pretty much gummed up the navigation (we had it as a way point) until we cancelled the route and started over again without the McDonald's as a way point.

So, anyway, I know I've focused on the negatives above, but it was actually a very enjoyable trip, and the above is just offered to show there is definitely still some room for improvement, which I think will be forthcoming over time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: 3,285 miles in seven days with CUE in my month-old SRX

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Just got home. Largely a very enjoyable trip in a very comfortable and well-performing vehicle.

Started in Minnesota down thru Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and home again.

On the less-happy side, CUE rebooted spontaneously three times while running the navigation and simultaneously playing music from a USB stick. Once, I think, the reboot was triggered by plugging my wife's Galaxy S4 into one of the USB ports to charge. The other two times. . . no idea what the trigger was. Fairly annoying when it happens tho, as it takes some time to recover both the navigation and the USB stick index (about 2500 songs).

We also noticed that the "arrival time" for longish routes on "US" highways was far overestimated (too long) on CUE navigation vs our Garmin GPS (which was also along for the trip as a check against what CUE was showing). Usually an hour over estimated, but in one case two hours. Over time on the specific route the CUE estimate slowly "came in" to the Garmin estimate. These routes were generally 200 miles or more at start.

My guess is that CUE was not dealing as well with "US" highways that had a variety of speed limits along them that might range from 35mph in some spots to 65mph in others.

CUE navigation did much better on "I" interstates as to estimates initially agreeing with (and ultimately being correct) with Garmin's estimates.

Then there was the time in Oklahoma where a McDonald's we searched for came up as found, with an address shown, and when "Go" was hit, CUE insisted (after reporting the address initially) that the McDonald's wasn't on any known road and refused to estimate an arrival time and pretty much gummed up the navigation (we had it as a way point) until we cancelled the route and started over again without the McDonald's as a way point.

So, anyway, I know I've focused on the negatives above, but it was actually a very enjoyable trip, and the above is just offered to show there is definitely still some room for improvement, which I think will be forthcoming over time.
    congrats on the trip and the car, it's a bummer on the bugs CUE has, but i might offer a bright point, since your car is new you still have the complimentary XM navigation with traffic, and it may be that cue was factoring in current traffic conditions in its time estimates, and as things cleared up or changed before you got to them tightened up its estimates. I'm only guessing, but since most Garmins don't have live data, they can only calculate times as if there's no traffic and therefore the most optimistic time, and systems receiving a live feed of data, may be offering you worst case information, in which case the gap would narrow as you approached your destination as you described. It would have been interesting to have a third nav in there to compare like google nav on your wifes phone which does receive live data to see which one it agreed with, sort of a tie breaker.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    congrats on the trip and the car, it's a bummer on the bugs CUE has, but i might offer a bright point, since your car is new you still have the complimentary XM navigation with traffic, and it may be that cue was factoring in current traffic conditions in its time estimates, and as things cleared up or changed before you got to them tightened up its estimates. I'm only guessing, but since most Garmins don't have live data, they can only calculate times as if there's no traffic and therefore the most optimistic time, and systems receiving a live feed of data, may be offering you worst case information, in which case the gap would narrow as you approached your destination as you described. It would have been interesting to have a third nav in there to compare like google nav on your wifes phone which does receive live data to see which one it agreed with, sort of a tie breaker.
    There may have been some of that going on with the traffic updates. The thing is, so far my experience is the car *tells* you out loud by voice when it has made an update due to a change in traffic conditions, and what I'm reporting above were instances where that didn't happen (tho it did happen at other times). Plus, several of the routes I'm talking about were in non-commute times as we were on a driving trip and often drove until 11pm at night and during the time between morning and afternoon commute. Plus, it seemed to me to be a pretty steady and even "reeling in" of the times over the course of the route rather than in large chunks all at once as might be expected from a current snarl impacting times and then clearing before we actually arrived at it.

Drive a few miles, take a minute off the estimate, repeat. So it really felt to me like it was just "surprised" I was driving at 65mph on that road instead of, say, 45mph. And usually on "US" highways that go through towns along the route, and so have some shorter stretches where the speed limit might be 30mph or 35mph, and even a couple of traffic lights. . . then back to 60mph or 65mph for most of the route.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    There may have been some of that going on with the traffic updates. The thing is, so far my experience is the car *tells* you out loud by voice when it has made an update due to a change in traffic conditions, and what I'm reporting above were instances where that didn't happen (tho it did happen at other times). Plus, several of the routes I'm talking about were in non-commute times as we were on a driving trip and often drove until 11pm at night and during the time between morning and afternoon commute. Plus, it seemed to me to be a pretty steady and even "reeling in" of the times over the course of the route rather than in large chunks all at once as might be expected from a current snarl impacting times and then clearing before we actually arrived at it.

Drive a few miles, take a minute off the estimate, repeat. So it really felt to me like it was just "surprised" I was driving at 65mph on that road instead of, say, 45mph. And usually on "US" highways that go through towns along the route, and so have some shorter stretches where the speed limit might be 30mph or 35mph, and even a couple of traffic lights. . . then back to 60mph or 65mph for most of the route.
    thats interesting, i'm still curious what the google eye in the sky would say...and at the end of the day if it gets you there and lies to you saying it'll take 2 hours and you tell aunt betty two hours as a result, but arrive in 90 minutes. Aunt Betty cant help but be impressed with how robotically punctual you always are

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I agree with your assessment of a long drive being enjoyable in our cars but also have found the CUE nav to be a little off. Coming from Charlotte to Atlanta the time was being calculated but as the road mile signs began to tell the actual miles remaining in the trip the Nav began to recalculate downward the actual travel time. This is a function of the nav company Cadillac went with and not the CUE system itself. I still do not understand why a $100 garmin can offer different voices, both male or female, in an English accent or American and we have no options at all. Maybe someone from the design team can explain it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.