Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CUE Update for MY 2013 Vehicles ATTN Cadillac Cust Svc

15K views 63 replies 21 participants last post by  georule 
#1 ·
Cadillac Customer Service

Are the 2013 MY vehicles going to get a CUE software update to get the features that the 2014 MY vehicles have?

I tried calling CUE support, but they were not very helpful.

Thanks,

Curious 2013 ATS Owner

#4 ·
I hope that CUE is treated like a cell phone when it comes to software updates. I think when a new version comes out, all CUE systems should be able to get it. I really wish that over-the-air updates could happen where the software would download behind the scene and install when the car is shut off. That would be cool.

#7 ·
If you are the manufacturer of a smart phone and you come up with a new system that leapfrogs over the competition are you going to give it to the owners of the old phones? But wait! That is exactly what Apple has done for years. You can have their older phone but they offer you the newest operating system for your old phone. Microsoft does the same thing with their operating system at a cost. We, Cadillac owners, are all waiting for GM to offer to us the same upgrades that any computer manufacturer offers its client base.

#8 ·
Hello,

Amazing that a direct request to Cadillac CUE Customer services has gone unanswered to the OP, despite the fact that when they read comments about problems they often ask the OP to contact them directly.

Perhaps their no answer is the answer, i.e. no update.

Nevertheless, for all their hype about support there seems to be precious little of it.

Pete

#11 ·
Hello cullama213,

I apologize for the delay in response, Laura and I were doing some additional research into this inquiry. Unfortunately, we don’t have access to any update schedules or contents of those updates. The CUE Infotainment team would be the best team to reach out to in regards to this information and I do see that you have already reached out to them. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me via private message. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#24 ·
Hello cullama213,

I apologize for the delay in response, Laura and I were doing some additional research into this inquiry. Unfortunately, we don’t have access to any update schedules or contents of those updates. The CUE Infotainment team would be the best team to reach out to in regards to this information and I do see that you have already reached out to them. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me via private message. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care
Gregory,

I called 855-4-CUE-NOW today and they explained to me that they are for technical assistance and training only and do not have any information about scheduling of the updates or what the content of the updates will be. They did mention that older vehicles are not guaranteed to get all the features of the newer vehicles (possibly the app store? which wouldn't make sense to me) in a similar fashion as the cell phone OS updates for iPhone and Android where older hardware gets most of the new features but some new features are left out to entice/incentivise/differentiate new hardware purchases.

The agent I spoke with documented our conversation and created a Service Request number (I have sent it to you in a PM) but was very certain that GM/Cadillac would be the place that this type of communication will need to originate.

Cheers,
Chris

#12 ·
Chris you are correct about the older iPhones not being allowed to download OS7 but any of the 4 series can. I understand that GM is not in the business to give away their new products but it seems that they could offer them to us as after market purchases. However they did promise us the App capability which is yet to materialize. It would also seem like they would offer us the same stuff that the '14's are going to get since our OS is the same.

#20 ·
I don't think it's too early. First, if there is some technical limitation preventing it, they definitely know and there can be no excuse for not telling owners that.

If it is possible, these types of decisions are not somebody's spur of the moment whim, not does it just instantly happen when a decision is made. If they are going to do it, it is the height of arrogance and disrespect to leave customers hanging. And its not much better if they can do it and decided not to but won't fess up.

#14 ·
Given that the bottom of this page states the following: "UPDATEABLE SOFTWARE Software can be upgraded during the life of the vehicle, so CUE will never become outdated."

I would hope that a CUE software update is forthcoming.

My GUESStimate? Once the GM App Store (or whatever the heck it's being called) launches, you'll see updates for IntelliLink, MyLink and CUE pretty rapidly.

Just a guess, but that's probably what they're waiting for ... That's what I would do. Why go through the pain of doing the big updates now, and then again when the app store launches?

#15 ·
that webpage is funny

Software can be upgraded during the life of the vehicle, so CUE will never become outdated.
here's a tip Cadillac, never use the word never, without a) meaning it or b) expecting bad ju-ju when you fail to deliver.

b has happened!!, you see as evidenced by your own website we were sold on this and lied to, i say lied to because owners of 2013 cars are now outdated.....want proof, look at the 2014 cars, there's our promised update in the wild being enjoyed by people 9 months after the debut of ATS.

#17 ·
One of the problems with getting Caddy to update CUE for the 2013 owners is that Caddy really doesn't know just how PO'd we are. How many 2013 ATS' with CUE were sold? How many ATS owners with CUE really know about the need to update? How many ATS owners with CUE are actually on this forum (or any other forum) and have voiced a need for updating us to the 2014 standard? Get my drift...the relative numbers (%) of knowledgeable dissatisfied 2013 owners who have made their dissatisfaction known is SMALL when compared to total 2013 CUE'd ATS' sold. Or, Caddy just doesn't give a sh*t! Unfortunately, I'm thinking that the latter is operative and because of that, no more Caddy's (and this is my first Caddy experience) for me as I certainly thought that this luxury car brand would have better serviced (instead of screwed) its customers.

#19 ·
Hello flycaster,

Laura and I have been documenting the concerns we see regarding the CUE and forwarding them to the correct group within our organization. We try and always pass along the feedback so that our customer’s voices get heard about our products. Thank you very much taking the time to post your feedback.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I am in agreement with you about Cadillac not knowing the number of unhappy CUE users. Overall my SRX is a delight to own and drive but the CUE system is not on the same level of excellence at the car. It is like having a great restaurant that you frequent and then have a couple of bad meals. Do you let the owner know so that he can fix the problem or do you find another restaurant? That is the way I feel about "Complaining" about the CUE system. If we like our cars but don't let Cadillac know that we have issues with CUE then we deserve what we get. If we do raise our voices and they ignore us then they deserve what they get. Let's drop this defensive attitude towards Cadillac by some and tell them honestly what our concerns are with the hope that they will offer us an update that will keep us on a par with the newer models. BTW, I just read an article about the new Cadillac Elmarij and it is a beauty. As far as I can tell there is no CUE in it. It is an "S" class fighter and is one gorgeous car!
As an after thought I think it might be interesting if we, on this forum, started a thread about what we would like to add to the CUE system. We could also include what we would change if we could. Then if there are GM people who regularly read these comments they might include some of our ideas in later updates or models. I do not mean the software engineer type comments that are too into the weeds for most of us to understand but simple issues that would make our everyday drives a little more pleasant. Anyone want to start it off?
Hello inspectorudy,

Starting a thread about your CUE feedback would be a great idea!! I would be sure to document it and pass it along to the correct group. I cannot guarantee that any or all of the ideas mentioned would make it into the production model, but I can definitely say that I will get it in front of the correct people as some feedback from our customer base. Thank you very much for your time and please let me know if that thread is made!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#22 ·
"so basically what you're most upset about is a lack of communication"?

I think that about sums it up. When the GM reps cannot tell us anything it makes us feel like we will be the last to know about anything. Chris mentioned the '14 ATS and there was no app icon available on it so that is sort of bad news for us. If there are no major improvements to the '14 then I don't imagine we will be getting anything new anytime soon.

#28 ·
My Bad for not reading the whole post. So, although I am not a lawyer, it would seem reasonable to assume that as Cadillac has put it in writing in their advertizing that CUE will have..."UPDATEABLE SOFTWARE Software (that) can be upgraded during the life of the vehicle, so CUE will never become outdated," we will get our updates...or Caddy would be liable for false advertizing. I guess we will just have to sit an wait until we either get our update or some ATS owner calls their lawyer. Certainly hope it is the former...soon!

#30 ·
Better configurability in the DIC, TPS can be viewed without having to expand it, missing 40 presets option fixed, retains HD radio settings, retains voice prompt settings, improved voice prompt configurability, Siri finally usable legally with addition of voice icon, saved CUE contacts favorites accessible in DIC, handwriting recognition, upgraded climate control app

----------

Your right in your statement there's no promised schedule, for feature updates that's acceptable its the bad buggy software that they fixed a lot of issues in the '14 CUE and leaving us to stew in this crappiness that they conned us into beta testing for them is where they suck

#34 ·
Are the "fixes" being looked for that have been included for 2014 bugs or enhancements that should be expected for the new model year. If Cadillac made the 2014 features available to 2013 owners at a price, would you pay for them?

CUE updates across the entire model year are very expensive for Cadillac. If offered at a price, those most disgruntled or just wanting to try the latest will pay a reasonable fee. That is the philosolphy for Navigation updates. They are not offered free to everyone and those that see changes in the routes they travel or just want to update every couple of years will pay the $100-$200 to get the latest.

If made available as an optional service, those owners who are content with the programing already updated once with a few additional specific updates such as the seat memory "upgrade" will pass on the new features and go on driving the vehicles they are happy with. I for one would pay to undo the seat memory upgrade because I liked and know how to use the auto position refresh.

Let's get beyond the entitlement mentality and ask Cadillac for the opportunity to update because we are willing to pay a fee to cover the cost of the update rather than whining that Cadillac owes it to us.

#35 · (Edited)
Let's get beyond the entitlement mentality and ask Cadillac for the opportunity to update because we are willing to pay a fee to cover the cost of the update rather than whining that Cadillac owes it to us

if by entitlement you mean the feeling that we are owed a radio that doesn't reboot, doesn't delete your presets, doesn't take 60 plus minutes to figure out your phone, doesn't block your ability to legally make a call because it would rather lecture you on having too much music, doesn't forget your settings, and doesn't lock up ..... then yes your damn right we have an entitlement mentality as we should.......I feel entitled to receive what i paid $1350 for, i think it would be nice to get new features, but that's of little importance compared to just delivering the product we purchased and since CUE is broken and we are also entitled to a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty on it CUE should be fixed without hesitation, shame on cadillac.

if by whining you mean us being vocal about this screwed up situation, then hell yes we should be whining louder. even if your supposition is true regarding the expense and effort to bring us new features, Cadillac put that monkey on their own back when they offered the upgrade-ability as a feature of CUE. had they not even offered or mentioned it, then there would be much less reason for this thread, instead Cadillac touted it, bragged about it, and sold us on it, so yes, they own this mess.

I have 2 dealerships looking for the 2014 software to be released to service but Cadillac is withholding it so '13 people don't get it before they will allow it.

#37 ·
the software is distributed on USB sticks to service departments so they can fix cars, for some reason Cadillac is impeding dealerships ability to service '14 cars by withholding the '14 USB sticks, in order to keep the software out of '13 cars, Cadillac is letting '14 owners unknowingly have some exclusivity for some unknown time-frame, rather than make the people who trusted, supported and believed in them whole. I have the service departments at 2 dealerships looking for the arrival of this stick, the first one to give me a call my car is heading there immediately.

#39 ·
It is hard to believe that at the corporate level someone could make such a decision that would harm GM's relationship with so many of it's actual customers and not "Maybe" customers. How would the '13 owners getting an upgrade affect the '14 owner"s? I do not know anyone with a '14 and if I did I would not sit in their new car and envy their newer gadgets. This whole things is beginning to sound like an urban legend that has gotten out of hand because GM will not communicate with it's customers. Maybe there is a slight difference between the '13 and the '14 OS or hardware. I do not know but I am extremely disappointed at the way this whole thing has been handled. The GM reps who are nice enough to grace this forum don't seem to ever offer anything but a telephone number to those of us who have had issues with CUE. Shouldn't someone from GM who can speak knowledgeably about the subject communicate with us?

#40 ·
I have sat in a 14 and played with it, and envy has nothing to do with it, I just want what i paid for to work, period..... in the '14 a lot of the design errors and broken items are fixed....period....if cadillac could do just that basic thing, most would be very happy, if some new features creep in because that was how they fixed it that would be a bonus, but not expected

#43 ·
I've said this elsewhere and I'll say it again - I think ATS drivers are likely a different demographic than other Cadillac owners. I don't mean that as a positive or a negative. But I do think it is a demographic that GM needs. For the most part they've earned it with this wonderful car. But it's also the kind of group that really would expect software updates and a new approach. So to be clear, withholding the CUE update from 2013 owners is a huge mistake. We want to recommend the car. We want to say that the GM folks overseeing this project are different. This wouldn't be as big a deal if there weren't so many upgrades that were necessary and just not spiffs.
The voice command on my CUE is really a bad joke. I have to believe it's been improved.
So - you cared enough to promote CUE with a free ipad when we bought our cars. Care enough to update our CUE's so we can wholeheartedly sing praise about our cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.