ATS: CUE APPs - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, ATS: CUE APPs in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by glenroebuck nothing to do with GM it is a feature in windows phone 8. True. Hopefully the ...
    Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: ATS: CUE APPs

Quote Originally Posted by glenroebuck View Post
    nothing to do with GM it is a feature in windows phone 8.
    True. Hopefully the dinosaur phones (iPhone and Android) will catch up. It's good that Cadillac doesn't waste time making sure legacy devices will work with their current technology.

Just kidding, at least the second sentence.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by glenroebuck View Post
    nothing to do with GM it is a feature in windows phone 8.
    I like that feature, that windows phone has no onstar app and mine does

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    I like that feature, that windows phone has no onstar app and mine does
    I understand the OnStar app for Windows 8 is about to be released. Waiting for some apps is the only downside I see to Windows 8 over the competition for a new phone customer (someone not vested in an OS). I'll put up with that for all the plusses. iPhone and Android will always be around. And if someone has invested time in learning them or their job demands an app that's only on some other platform it makes a lot of sense to stick with them at this time. And you can't rule out MS snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. LoL
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I understand the OnStar app for Windows 8 is about to be released. Waiting for some apps is the only downside I see to Windows 8 over the competition for a new phone customer (someone not vested in an OS). I'll put up with that for all the plusses. iPhone and Android will always be around. And if someone has invested time in learning them or their job demands an app that's only on some other platform it makes a lot of sense to stick with them at this time. And you can't rule out MS snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. LoL
    jokes aside, i really do think windows phone 8 is beautiful, really nice job, waiting for the ecosystem to catch up is more pain than i'm willing to bear (you are a more patient man than I) and my favorite things about iPhone is my phones integration with my apple tv, when i buy an app it appears on 5 devices at once(my and my wifes iPhone5's and all 3 of our ipads) and lastly and most importantly facetime.....let me elaborate, facetime is no big deal to me but to my wife having her mother facetime my 2 year old daughter is precious to her, and whats precious to me is not having to support a 76 year old with skype, and setting up accounts for her, I already have to log passwords for her because anything she does that requires an account sucks for me because it always goes south or needs updating or whatever and she never knows her password.

caryjohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

I just took delivery of my wife's ATS and was disappointed to learn the Navigation feature was not installed on her car. I learned later it was an option, but it looks like it is a factory install one. Has anyone checked with their service department and gotten an answer to having them install it locally? I called the CUE Help line and the gal told me to "buy another car" as the way to get navigation! I am still doing research and will share whatever I find and would like to hear from others who may have the same need or different results.

BricksATX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Base RWD Auto

Car manufacturers, GM included, need to stop nickel and diming customers on software. With a system like CUE that is theoretically upgradeable and extensible via software updates and third party apps, I expect some amount of future proofing from an infotainment perspective. That includes the ability to take advantage of navigation options other that the OEM navigation. On my smart devices, I have a number of choices when it comes to navigation, media players, weather apps, etc. Why should my "smart car" be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by BricksATX View Post
    Car manufacturers, GM included, need to stop nickel and diming customers on software. With a system like CUE that is theoretically upgradeable and extensible via software updates and third party apps, I expect some amount of future proofing from an infotainment perspective. That includes the ability to take advantage of navigation options other that the OEM navigation. On my smart devices, I have a number of choices when it comes to navigation, media players, weather apps, etc. Why should my "smart car" be any different?
    they're not nickel and diming in this instance, the bad guy here is the GIS (Geographical information systems) industry, they charge an astronomical amount for maps, they always have, in the past you paid an average of $2K to get nav, and that high cost was split between adding a screen to the car and the maps, this has gone down as more cars come with screens in a base configuration, and map updates still cost $300-$500 for cars. the apparent inexpensiveness of phone maps isn't from the data not have the expense to gather, it does, google spends an astronomical amount gathering this data, and have paid dearly with some mishaps (WIFI mapping, Street view picture overlay privacy concerns in europe) but we pay for this in the privacy we give up, allowing them to know where we are for advertising purposes.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by caryjohn View Post
    I just took delivery of my wife's ATS and was disappointed to learn the Navigation feature was not installed on her car. I learned later it was an option, but it looks like it is a factory install one. Has anyone checked with their service department and gotten an answer to having them install it locally? I called the CUE Help line and the gal told me to "buy another car" as the way to get navigation! I am still doing research and will share whatever I find and would like to hear from others who may have the same need or different results.
    Sorry to hear this happened to you, presumably when the CUE App store opens up, we may have an option to add maps to our cars, either with some upgrade, or with the new Chevy sonic style your phone feeds maps to the car app...otherwise if the car is new enough and you have a good enough relationship with your dealer maybe you can talk them into swapping the car out for a nicer one with nav

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

GM nav map updates only cost $200
    (historically speaking... CUE systems haven't had an update yet)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    decent price seems to have come down from the DVD era, dont know about others but Kia is $495 for the SD card, maybe this price is just for updates, GMC intelilink is $795 to add maps to intelilink otherwise same 7" touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    A salesman told me the CUE NAV map updates were free for the warranty period. But since over half the things he told me I knew to be false, I figured he was probably wrong about that.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

A salesman told me the CUE NAV map updates were free for the warranty period. But since over half the things he told me I knew to be false, I figured he was probably wrong about that.
    that would be a nice departure from business as usual for GM
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

Onstar app for WP came out yesterday. Works nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by slepr View Post
    Onstar app for WP came out yesterday. Works nicely.
    What are you doing for the callouses? I installed it early yesterday and you had to accept an EULA. Okay, fine but its had to be the length of 50 legal size sheets of paper. I was scrolling for 5 minutes to get to the accept button at the bottom. Then up popped the privacy policy which was almost as long. Now I have a big callous on my scrolling finger. I guess it will wear off since you only have to accept once.

I think its poorly optimized but its still great to have it. It takes a long time to initialize and the whole time shows a bright white screen that used 2% of my battery waiting. LoL.

But the worst part was my wife didn't appreciate me setting off the horn in the garage while she was asleep.

What are you doing for the callouses? I installed it early yesterday and you had to accept an EULA. Okay, fine but its had to be the length of 50 legal size sheets of paper. I was scrolling for 5 minutes to get to the accept button at the bottom. Then up popped the privacy policy which was almost as long. Now I have a big callous on my scrolling finger. I guess it will wear off since you only have to accept once.

I think its poorly optimized but its still great to have it. It takes a long time to initialize and the whole time shows a bright white screen that used 2% of my battery waiting. LoL.

But the worst part was my wife didn't appreciate me setting off the horn in the garage while she was asleep.
    premature my friend, you needed to wait till she was in the garage with the car, my mother in-law just got a terrain and when she last visited i set up her mobile app. she had lent her car to her daughter/son in-law back in ND while visiting us and to test the app we kept starting the car and setting off the horn and sent turn by turn directions to the statue of liberty. freaked out my brother in law who grew up farming and ranching he was about to disconnect the battery when his wife called her mom....i'm surprised my wife and her mom didn't break any ribs they were laughing so hard.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

Yes, the initial policies were very, very long. But sadly, that is the state of our wonderful, litigious country. The app doesn't take long to initialize for me and I don't have the bright white screen either. It takes a short wait for the app to gather the data from the vehicle but I expected that to occur (same short delay that was evident when my salesman showed me the app on his IPhone). Now, seeing my tire pressures just a couple of weeks after routine service (including tire rotation) I need to locate someplace with nitrogen to fill them up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.