Any reason why voice prompt keeps switching back to LONG? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Any reason why voice prompt keeps switching back to LONG? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by nightracerx Just got back from the dealer on the oil change. Dealer inspected the unit and found ...
    nightracerx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac SRX Performance AWD

Re: Any reason why voice prompt keeps switching back to LONG?

Quote Originally Posted by nightracerx View Post
    Just got back from the dealer on the oil change. Dealer inspected the unit and found it to be odd that it is doing that jumping back to "long" prompt after restart, I'm also running the latest version of software, so it could be a hardware problem or unresolved software problem. They ordered a new unit for me that will arrive next week and install it, it should solve the problem. My CUE LCD screen also rattles like crazy when I go over bumps on the road so replacing the unit will most likely solve that problem as well.
    Had the unit replaced today, thankfully the annoying rattle is gone. Apparently the haptic feedback motor or whatever in there was causing the rattle, and the LCD cover was poorly aligned previously. So far the voice prompt jumping back to long haven't appeared yet, they did a reflash of the software so that might have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    I'm having the same problem. Have isolated that it seems to occur if you start from the key.
    Mine was jumping back to long regardless of starting method, remote start or push button start, it doesn't happen all the time but at least 25% of the time.

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Well mine is going back in today for the voice prompt issue and the up/down favorites issue. I am going to stick on them to have it resolved even if it means replacing the CUE. I'll keep this posted with the process and what is being done. That way if indeed it does get fixed somehow they others can see what was done.

EDIT 1: Car was dropped off Wednesday. Picked up a white 2014 CTS 2.0T Lux as a loaner.
    I called the dealership yesterday to see what was going on. The techs were able to replicate the problem of switching back to long prompts. They talked to the tac team who asked them to see if a 2013 on the lot did the same thing. I asked if it did what does that mean? They said if one on the lot did the same it means they would look into getting a TSB. If not they would look at replacing the radio. Today is Friday and I haven't heard anything back from the dealership as to what the plan is. Guess I get the CTS for the weekend. Sidenote.... The CTS rides like a dream. Feels VERY well built and solid. Quiet as can be on the road. Not enough power in the 2.0T for this car though.

EDIT 2: Day 9 in the CTS now. I called Monday to check the status and it sounded like they really haven't even given it much of a look. I was told "the tech is looking at it in between other jobs" Which to me means, "we haven't done anything yet aside from verify it switches back to long" Service adviser said that he would call when he had an update. Well it's now 3 days later and still nothing. Left a message with the adviser to give me a call back. I love the new CTS, but getting to the point I'd just like to be back in my car now.

skyy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Yes this keeps happening. I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer, but that will probably be a long process. Can someone from Cadillac, NOT THE OUTSOURCED call center look into this?

nightracerx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac SRX Performance AWD

I just had my radio replaced and it still goes back to long. It's a software glitch for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    Well mine is going back in today for the voice prompt issue and the up/down favorites issue. I am going to stick on them to have it resolved even if it means replacing the CUE. I'll keep this posted with the process and what is being done. That way if indeed it does get fixed somehow they others can see what was done.

EDIT 1: Car was dropped off Wednesday. Picked up a white 2014 CTS 2.0T Lux as a loaner.
    I called the dealership yesterday to see what was going on. The techs were able to replicate the problem of switching back to long prompts. They talked to the tac team who asked them to see if a 2013 on the lot did the same thing. I asked if it did what does that mean? They said if one on the lot did the same it means they would look into getting a TSB. If not they would look at replacing the radio. Today is Friday and I haven't heard anything back from the dealership as to what the plan is. Guess I get the CTS for the weekend. Sidenote.... The CTS rides like a dream. Feels VERY well built and solid. Quiet as can be on the road. Not enough power in the 2.0T for this car though.

EDIT 2: Day 9 in the CTS now. I called Monday to check the status and it sounded like they really haven't even given it much of a look. I was told "the tech is looking at it in between other jobs" Which to me means, "we haven't done anything yet aside from verify it switches back to long" Service adviser said that he would call when he had an update. Well it's now 3 days later and still nothing. Left a message with the adviser to give me a call back. I love the new CTS, but getting to the point I'd just like to be back in my car now.

EDIT 3: Day 15 in the CTS. Service rep told me that they have been working with a guy named David from TAC. They have replaced the CUE with a new one that does the same thing. They are doing more testing and debugging with this David guy. My ATS is getting some paint work done this weekend so I told them I needed my car Thursday for the weekend, but told them I wanted to bring it right back on Monday and not just keep it and wait for them to find out more info. I wanted to make sure they have some incentive to stay on top of this and get it fixed. I would think that me driving around in their new CTS loaner forever would give them some incentive to work with GM to get it fixed. At least a little more than if I just took my car back and let had them work with GM/David on their own time.
    I cannot update the thread anymore so I will just quote myself and include the update.

bmcleod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 2.0LT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    I cannot update the thread anymore so I will just quote myself and include the update.
    Carpenter, any updates on the long prompt issue? With as many as have this problem it's hard to believe they have the dealer troubleshooting it. Pretty discouraging, I'm sure getting tired of the 'initializing' and 'indexing' messages.

rclong is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac XTS4 2013

I too am having problems with CUE. To the person who was thinking of going Android to avoid the Long Voice Prompt problem. My Android works OK (sort of), if I want to use Pandora I can not use an app called Robin (its Androids answer to SIRI) If I try to use any information from my phone contact list other than phone number, no luck. I contacted CUE help, and they had no answers to any of my questions. I made sure to advise them of the Robin problem several months ago and when I called in regard to Long Voice Prompt I asked about the Pandora and Robin problem. Had never herd of it and Pandora should work fine

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
    Carpenter, any updates on the long prompt issue? With as many as have this problem it's hard to believe they have the dealer troubleshooting it. Pretty discouraging, I'm sure getting tired of the 'initializing' and 'indexing' messages.
    Hi bmcleod,

I can understand how unexpected vehicle concerns can be discouraging. If you would like us to reach out to your dealership on your behalf please do not hesitate to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. (Assisting)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by rclong View Post
    I too am having problems with CUE. To the person who was thinking of going Android to avoid the Long Voice Prompt problem. My Android works OK (sort of), if I want to use Pandora I can not use an app called Robin (its Androids answer to SIRI) If I try to use any information from my phone contact list other than phone number, no luck. I contacted CUE help, and they had no answers to any of my questions. I made sure to advise them of the Robin problem several months ago and when I called in regard to Long Voice Prompt I asked about the Pandora and Robin problem. Had never herd of it and Pandora should work fine
    Hello rclong,

I apologize that for the difficulty you have experienced with your CUE. If there is anything that we can assist you with on our end please be sure to contact us via private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. (Assisting)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
    I had the loaner for 18 days. I finally gave it back. I am still working with Katie from the infotainment line and she is keeping in regular contact (twice a week) with the dealership who is working with a CUE engineer. I just received a call from the dealership and the CUE engineer basically told them "That is how it is supposed to work" which I know isn't the case because I know many ATS owners prompts are working just fine. I just posted a thread in the ATS section to have as many ATS owners as I can just do a check and see what happens. This way I can go back to the dealership and say "no, it's not how it's supposed to work, here's a bunch that are working correctly" The dealer said they tried all the ATSs (just a few) on the lot and they all did the same thing. Those were 2014 models. I am going to contact KAtie again to give her an update and see what she has to say about them saying "it should work this way" as I know that is not that case, but I want to hear it right from her as well.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I wish I could find the post where someone said there was a CUE update which solved the prompt problem and specifically addressed it. They even posted the update number.....damn if I can find it again...

bmcleod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 2.0LT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hi bmcleod,

I can understand how unexpected vehicle concerns can be discouraging. If you would like us to reach out to your dealership on your behalf please do not hesitate to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. (Assisting)
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thank you for your participation here, but I question the effectiveness and efficiency of your suggestion. Carpenter has been working with a dealer for weeks without solution, now directly with the Infotainment group and still no help. What value is it for each of us to independently contact our dealer and you to try and solve a problem that Cadillac doesn't seem to know how (or can't) solve? I personally don't have the time (or patience) that Carpenter has shown, but I very much appreciate the effort he has put forth and for documenting it here.

If you were to lead an investigation into this problem for the group and allow the results to be posted here for the benefit of all, I'm sure many would be willing to send whatever information you need for it to be properly researched and solved. The board could then help others who read the solution (or lack of) in the future. To get things started I will PM the information requested but won't involve another dealer at this point. Thanks again for your offer to help.

Edit: Attempted to PM account 'Cadillac Cust Svc', it responds that it's not open to PMs.

So Katie from the infotainment group basically said "the engineer has final decision" and they will go off whatever he says. I believe she closed the ticket. I sarcastically asked if the people's who's voice prompts don't reset back to long should take their cars in because obviously if the engineer is saying that mine is operating correctly then those vehicles aren't working correctly. When the engineer says "it's working the way it's supposed to" that's what the dealership will stick to unless someone provides further examples to contradict. So basically this is a lazy engineer that doesn't want to admit or work on the issue. There is no way an engineer could possibly say "yeah this is how we wanted it to work" While I agree this might accidentally be how it has been coded to work, but obviously that's a bug and not correct. That said it still doesn't explain why some people's work just fine. It's been 24 hours and so far only 3 responses in the thread in the ATS forums. A little disappointing as it has 200 views and I am certain most people have CUE. I want to get a relatively large data sample to take to the dealer.

Rippy or Lindsay... if either of you dealers, or if there are other dealers see this, is this something you could help me/us with by checking a couple ATSs on your lot? Just start the car, make sure the setting is set to short, and then check again in a couple hours to see if it has reverted to long.
    HOME > SETTINGS > VOICE > PROMPT LENGTH [LONG/SHORT]

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello bmcleod,

You are welcome. We understand this concern has been frustrating for many of you, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We are always more than happy to assist anyway that we can, but in most circumstances, that involves us getting you in contact with your GM dealership, as we rely heavily on our GM certified dealerships for their technical expertise and as our eyes and ears in the field. I would like to document your concerns and comments within our system which can be reached by multiple departments at General Motors. I am sorry you could not send us a PM when you tried. Our space must have been full, but it should work now.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Well, my car went into yesterday to fix a seat squeak.. The service manager asked about the CUE issues and asked if he could try to take a look. He repeated the process of seeing if it reset. It didn't change after a couple of hours so he checked again this morning. When he went to check the actual "VOICE" setting it wasn't even an option on the CUE anymore. He scrolled up and down and it was gone. He started the car then shut it off and low and behold the setting was there and it was changed back to short. He is going to make a call and see what the next step is. So the issue is not yet dead.
    bmcleod likes this.

Well after a ton of back and forth and dealing with techs who don't want to bother to look for answers, and GM engineers that are too lazy to admit a problem, I am happy to announce that I believe the issue is fixed. I will of course have to make sure in time, but the long/short voice prompt setting has not reset itself in over 24 hours. Typically it would take only an hour or so, so I am pretty confident that it is fixed. As a side note (and I know at least one other person here had this issue) when I would use the steering wheel to select up or down on my favorites, which are all XM presets, on occasion it would seek the opposite way of the button I pressed. (IE if I was on channel 10 and I pressed "up", it would take me to XM 9 instead of 11) This issue also seems to be fixed. The CUE also seems a less laggy than it was, but nothing definitive.

The fix action was to install a new version of the HMI software. This version just came out last month or so I was told. On the top photo here you will see my old version and then the bottom shows the new version. The first line, BUILDVERSION_LABEL_NOR, is the one that you want to reference to see if you have the old one. To check your version press and hold the HOME button and then press and hold the VOL DOWN button at the same time. That will take you into a developer mode where you can select HMI and see what you have.

The new install is done via a fairly large file through the USB. I believe the dealer said there was something like 16 files they had to download in total and that the CUE actually crashed one time during the install. If everything goes smoothly about an hour for the job. Again, I will continue to monitor and see if it reverts back, but as of now, both my issues are resolved. I cannot say if this applies to other models aside from the ATS or if this is specific to the ATS. I'm not sure on that, but those with the SRX that have the same problem, could very well be the same solution.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.