CUE is clewless
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE is clewless in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I am very underwhelmed with the CUE feature in the new caddilacs. My keeps loosing paired phones and favorites settings ...
    flying fossil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Kinda Red XTS Premium

CUE is clewless

I am very underwhelmed with the CUE feature in the new caddilacs.

My keeps loosing paired phones and favorites settings and I have to go back and start all over again. Regrouping my radio stations every other week is a pain in the rear.

The Nav system isn't nearly as sharp as my $200 Garmin.

Are there any up grades or fixes in store for this mess?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimTown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4 Platinum

Re: CUE is clewless

What? You weren't notified of available software updates?

Yes, Update was done two months ago. These issues are still present.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I believe that what is happening to the owners of the CUE system are what happens to any new system that is introduced in that after a brief period of time when it is totally new and unknown there are a lot of complaints and questions about it. We are now in the complacency stage where most of us have accepted the system with its flaws and shortcomings as well as its innovations and realize that there will probably be no more BIG alterations to it. I think there will be some minor updates to correct interface problems with individual devices but the user interface will not be changed. CUE is a first step that should have been of a higher caliber but it is what it is. I personally have not seen any improvement in my CUE system since the update and I don't think I will ever see anything that truly makes it user friendly. I am getting more used to it and know what it takes to use it but that doesn't mean that it is a good design. I do hope that GM does not abandon us, the first generation users, and goes to a better system that leaves us behind. I think that they owe us for being the research monkeys that helped them improve their product. In your case you must have something that needs to be replaced because what you are experiencing is not typical. I will say that as a long time Cadillac owner I am still very happy with my dealer and the support they have given me.
    CDN XTS and CDN XTS like this.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Inspectorudy,

I agree fully with you.

I am not particularly happy with CUE. It's been a headache since day one, and I have
    had their engineering team work with me over the past several months to resolve problems
    associated with my phone and iPod.

I have written extensively about these problems elsewhere, you can search for those posts
    by my username.

I do believe we are in a complacency stage. The thing is, Cadillac owners should never have
    been subjected to having CUE in their vehicles until it was perfected. At this point, it's not
    perfected and as such, owners have to live with its bugs.

Personally, I think the fact that CUE erases and reuploads/reindexes all your phone contacts
    and music every time you enter and exit the vehicle is just inane. Most all the problems with
    the units would be solved if they just allowed the information to be stored on its internal flash drive.

...but alas, I have beaten my head against the wall trying to get the CUE team to change
    their philosophy on how they designed their units.
    CDN XTS and CDN XTS like this.

Amen, and in the meantime I set my XM and FM stations manually and do not connect the phone. Don't use the Nav system much so what I have is a $2000. trinket that
    doesn't work worth a damn.
    My Garmin still works great.

I say to Cadillac, ditch the CUE and get a good system that works.

The really insulting thing is that the new Chevy will have a much better system than the Caddy and we helped them get it with our inputs into CUE. I truly hope that Cadillac follows up with us and eventually offers us a newer version that works without all of the glitches. I am not sure that the foundation they have offered us is the one in which to build the future system on however. There are many functions that I use only occasionally and it is not intuitive to find or remember how to use them. I'm sure if any of you thought how to do such and such you would have to rack your memory to come up with the answer. There needs to be some way to access those functions without total memory recall or the thick hard to read manual. I have thought that a simple help system like a lot computer programs have that would allow you to enter a key word on the CUE system and then it would take you to step by step to your request. Would that be that difficult? Things like "Rename favorites" or "Enter present location to the favorites" and many more things like that that we do not use every day or even every week. As far as the voice system goes it's just a novelty and not a serious functional tool to help with anything. Think about making a phone call using the voice system or just using the steering wheel control. Their is no contest for speed or error free dialing and the wheel control wins every time in my car because the CUE has such a hard time understanding me or my wife. My wife also has a real hard time with the parallax problem with the touch screen because the normal reach puts your finger slightly below the icon as you look at it and the system will not respond until you bring your finger above the icon. This is the opposite of a smart phone or Ipad type device since you are looking down at it and you put your finger right on the icon. In our cars you have to be slightly below the icon to see it and this is simply a design flaw. There are many more issues that we must make known to Cadillac as they come up and it is my hope that they will listen to us and respond with improvements.

TimTown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    Inspectorudy,

I agree fully with you.

I am not particularly happy with CUE. It's been a headache since day one, and I have
    had their engineering team work with me over the past several months to resolve problems
    associated with my phone and iPod.

I have written extensively about these problems elsewhere, you can search for those posts
    by my username.

I do believe we are in a complacency stage. The thing is, Cadillac owners should never have
    been subjected to having CUE in their vehicles until it was perfected. At this point, it's not
    perfected and as such, owners have to live with its bugs.

Personally, I think the fact that CUE erases and reuploads/reindexes all your phone contacts
    and music every time you enter and exit the vehicle is just inane. Most all the problems with
    the units would be solved if they just allowed the information to be stored on its internal flash drive.

...but alas, I have beaten my head against the wall trying to get the CUE team to change

Do you remember the first release of MS Windows?

Actually, your belief that "CUE erases and reuploads/reindexes all your phone contacts" may not be exactly true. I have discovered something very weird, which hints that they may be using a cache for contacts (and not resetting the cache after unpairing blu-tooth). I added 3 new contacts in my iPhone5 and CUE refuses to display them. I've tried deleting some, but changes are not made. I've attempted every variation of using the first name field, last name field, both in one or the other, and still nothing!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your input on the CUE system. We appreciate your feedback and are always looking to update the system. We'll continue to collect your feedback and suggestions for possible enhancements to future releases.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

In other words, Cadillac is doing nothing at the moment except enjoying the profits.

I just got my new edition of "Car and Driver" and in it they compare the new XTS and the Avalon. The Avalon won of course since any foreign car always wins in these magazines but the XTS actually beat the Avalon in handling and styling. All three judges agreed on the "Terrible" driver interface of the CUE system. I know it's getting tiresome but the system is not user friendly when you are just renting or driving a car for a short time. They even mentioned those silly silver thingies that are below any center console input point. They concurred with my findings that they work sometimes and then they don't. How many times has it taken some of you to get the vertical slide arrow on the screen that usually comes up when using a menu that brings up more choices? I have given up on the touch and slide and try for the less troublesome touch the up or down end of the slide. This isn't brain surgery but it is annoying when it takes three or four times to move the data line. I've had this forum, the manual and five months to play with CUE can you imagine what it is like for someone using it for a day?

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    Inspectorudy,

<snipped> Personally, I think the fact that CUE erases and reuploads/reindexes all your phone contacts

The indexing issue as it presently is, is terrible and the more devices are attached the longer it takes. I understand it can index up to 5 devices. And GM's present level of documentation is rather poor.
    I have been asking time and time again for the required technical info on the USB and SD ports (even before I had the car), as have others. I have done a lot of testing and then posted results that others on the forum know what devices they can use and how. Such information should have been given to the users by GM. I also just found out that if you have both a USB stick and a SD card connected (had done some tests and forgot to remove one), the re-indexing of just under 4000 songs each, took 67 or so minutes. CUE then told me that I had too many songs for certain voice functions (exceeded the 4000 song limit), i.e. it combines both devices, which is o.k., but should have been documented by GM. After removing the USB device, voice control then functioned at 100% again, as I expected. But at each start of the car CUE is re-indexing the SD card again taking over 20 minutes before I am able to use voice control for that device or place any music from it on a favorite. (Clicking such a previously set favorites works right away as do playlists, etc., e.g. CUE still uses the previous index for existing favorites not-withstanding it is re-indexing - not sure anymore if such works if there was a substantial change to the device based on comments by others. It certainly didn't use my previous SD card index after using a difference SD card but still with the same data (at least as to the specific artist's songs I had placed on a favorite) and a full indexing was first needed - so I assume the index is established for a specific physical device - again no documentation)
    I noted that if I remove my SD card the "Shuffle" setting is disabled, whereas otherwise it is not. Thus, unless this is just a co-incident, then CUE would know that there was no change to the card and it shouldn't need to re-index but just use it's previous index for that device which should be an easy programming change. That of course wouldn't solve the phone issue, which is usually removed from the car. And I guess the indexing is basically a storing of our info on the CUE drive, but in a different format as required by CUE (and as to music of course not the actual music file). Thus not presently easy to compare CUE data at start up to the external device, hence they simply re-index each time, just in case there was a change. Not having a phone, I can not test, but I assume, having a SD or USB stick with music and a phone the indexing takes longer, just like my experience when having both an USB Stick and a SD card. But again there is no information, as to how CUE proceeds. Would it index the phone first and than the music, or visa versa or, as per my experience, do both before it makes either one available for full use? We don't even know as GM has not documented such.
    And then us Canadians do not have access to the special CUE help line (I've been told they are not allowed to provide service to us) and there is no such dedicated group in Canada. Even the special CUE technician (not a dealership employee) which made the latest Cue update on my XTS, didn't know whether the CD port could handle a SDXC device, never mind the max read speed at which the port can operate. Thus to me it looks there isn't even sufficient documentation internal to GM available to those who are to help us.
    Unfortunately, some of us may have given up voicing their concerns. And what percentage of CUE users are participating on the forum? Unfortunately while computer software can be "beta" tested without charge by users, car manufactures can't really do that. But car manufactures thus should be required to provide changes based on feedback as soon as possible free of charge and keep those "doing the testing and providing feedback" informed. Obviously they can't please everyone as there are conflicting requests. But the indexing issue is indeed a problem recognised by all and requires an appropriate fix, apparently promised but in the absence of any feedback, perhaps stalled or even cancelled as to 2013 units. How will CUE 2014 operate?

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I just got my new edition of "Car and Driver" and in it they compare the new XTS and the Avalon. <snipped> All three judges agreed on the "Terrible" driver interface of the CUE system. <snipped and bolded last sentence> I've had this forum, the manual and five months to play with CUE can you imagine what it is like for someone using it for a day?
    Well said!

There is an interesting piece in the WSJ today about Ford and their infotainment interface currently being used in their high end models. They have decided to bring back the knobs and buttons for the radio! It seems that most people just like to know where their favorites are and having the tuning knob where you can use it without too much effort. They also claim that they have found the answer to their voice recognition system and users say that it is a big improvement over the earlier system. Maybe our CUE guys can rent a Ford and give it a try.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Tried to get somewhere to day using navigation and it was a total mess.

First, had to sit and wait for the module to load, so it wasn't instantly available as soon as I got into the vehicle.

Next, neither by voice or manual input was navigation able to recognize the address.

I am so fed up with CUE it isn't funny.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.