CUE is clewless - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE is clewless in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I agree CUE is pretty horendous, even with six months of practice. While the idrive on my '11 BMW Z4 ...
    cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue
    I agree CUE is pretty horendous, even with six months of practice. While the idrive on my '11 BMW Z4 generally was much easier to use, I wasn't happy with the nav on that either. Its awful when you have to type in addresses with the knob controller, and it frequently gave many different possible entries for the same address on an interstate, but then when you clicked on specific addresses none of them corresponded to the street number I had put in. Extremely frustrating.

That said, i feel like I'm a beta tester for CUE, and I'm finding it very frustrating to use. Thank God for the steering wheel buttons. Otherwise I might have broken down and traded it in by now and taken the loss. Been a very long time since I bought a GM and not sure I'll be stickng with GM after this.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: CUE is clewless

You are right about the steering wheel controller. Without that device I would have taken the car back too.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Been a very long time since I bought a GM and not sure I'll be stickng with GM after this.
    I have already decided this will be my last Cadillac.

I give kudos to everyone at GM for addressing my problems (they have been phenomenal), but the point remains that they put a beta product into their flagship brand. I am always finding something about this system that I find frustrating beyond my initial problems playing music and placing a phone call.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

CUE is definitely a train wreck. Or as C&D just said: "CUE is as excellent as Herpes". I knew that going in and basically decided I'd put up with it since it only added around $300 to the cost of the car.

Nav + upgraded audio = $1300 in Lux. Nav = $800 in Perf. So upgraded audio = $500.
    CUE + upgraded audio = $1350 in base. So CUE = $850 ($1350 - $500 for audio)
    CUE came with iPad which sells for $500, so CUE in a 2013 ATS just adds $350 ($850 - $500 for the iPad) to the car's MSRP (unless you are buying a base and hate the upgraded audio) and most people sure don't pay anywhere near MSRP.

I would have preferred a system like iDrive that works rather than a half baked CUE. But I can understand how it happened. If the rest of the car was an A+ and CUE wasn't ready, they can't very well delay the car for another year. I definitely am glad they didn't do that because I would rather have an ATS with CUE than any of the competition I would have been forced to buy if the ATS hadn't been available. I couldn't wait an extra year.

The ATS led me to parole GM for its crimes (against me) in the late 70's thru early '90s. If I am anyway typical they better eventually fix CUE for us 2013 customers or GM will be goiing back in for parole violation.

Tick tock.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    Yea

It's so small and compact...
    I can open the passenger door from the drivers seat

What a waste of resources too

Cadillac USE to make nice Luxury automobiles, even tho their interiors left much to be desired...

Who ever their Asian Concept Designer is needs to be promoted to the PR Dept. so they can get and idea of what consumers Don't Want their Cadillac to be

Small and Compact would be a Example as what NOT TO DO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    I have already decided this will be my last Cadillac.

I give kudos to everyone at GM for addressing my problems (they have been phenomenal), but the point remains that they put a beta product into their flagship brand. I am always finding something about this system that I find frustrating beyond my initial problems playing music and placing a phone call.
    relax, it's OK if you don't like the car, but to write off a brand because of a model that's only been available for 9 months, is a little extreme. it's age old knowledge to NOT buy the first run of anything for this very reason, unless you're of the personality type that likes being on the leading edge, in which case, you just have to have a certain amount of intestinal fortitude for this sort of thing.

believe me, i've vented and been angered more than a few times by CUE, but when i think on it it's just one of those things, 1st and 4th iphone had major problems, early android phones had problems, bmw idrive had major problems, Audi's MMI had useability problems too. The thing to consider is all of those problem items listed have become fantastic, and there's no reason CUE can't be as well, so long as Cadillac has the will to do the right thing (and if they consider themselves competition to the germans they better)
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    relax, it's OK if you don't like the car, but to write off a brand because of a model that's only been available for 9 months, is a little extreme. it's age old knowledge to NOT buy the first run of anything for this very reason, unless you're of the personality type that likes being on the leading edge, in which case, you just have to have a certain amount of intestinal fortitude for this sort of thing.

believe me, i've vented and been angered more than a few times by CUE, but when i think on it it's just one of those things, 1st and 4th iphone had major problems, early android phones had problems, bmw idrive had major problems, Audi's MMI had useability problems too. The thing to consider is all of those problem items listed have become fantastic, and there's no reason CUE can't be as well, so long as Cadillac has the will to do the right thing (and if they consider themselves competition to the germans they better)
    I agree

but the problem with GM (cadillac) is they never do the right thing by its consumers

They produce some of the greatest vehicles no doubt, but they rarely, if ever fix any common problems encountered by its customers

How long did they take to address the Northstar Generation... And after more than a decade they still didn't get those right

So at what point should a consumer write off GM's Cadillac Line Up???

I think everyone has their breaking point and if a costumer stuck with a brand for 20/30 years, well, some people wouldn't give them that much time to say the least

While the pros and cons vary from individual to individual, it's that individuals right to declare that the brand has gone a foul... Regardless of what flaw is perceived for them to decide so

For me, they lost me when they decided that they would start producing compact smart cars to rival the Asian Production Market like Toyota and Honda

I'll never forget the day at a Cadillac dealership when this old lady asked the salesman about the new 2012 Cadillac

"Why is it the same size as the Toyota Camry?"

The salesman was obviously upset as I exploded in laughter.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE

I truly love my '13 SRX and am not the least bit disappointed in it as a car. But CUE is like taking a souffle out of the oven before it's ready. You can still eat it but it is not what you were hoping for. I mentioned above about Ford having to go back and make some major revisions to their system because of huge customer dissatisfaction with it. BMW and MB was crucified over their attempts. Almost all brands had their problems and then GM ignored all of these travails and built theirs in the dark, or at least it appears that they did. Would it not have been a good idea for GM to have bought one model of each auto makers high end models and tear them apart to find out what actual consumers though about them? Take the good and get rid of the bad seems like a no brainer to me. I am going to enjoy my car until it's time to trade but as mentioned above how we get treated by Cadillac in the future with this issue and possible improvements will decide how many of us stay with the marque.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE View Post
    I agree

but the problem with GM (cadillac) is they never do the right thing by its consumers

They produce some of the greatest vehicles no doubt, but they rarely, if ever fix any common problems encountered by its customers

How long did they take to address the Northstar Generation... And after more than a decade they still didn't get those right

So at what point should a consumer write off GM's Cadillac Line Up???

I think everyone has their breaking point and if a costumer stuck with a brand for 20/30 years, well, some people wouldn't give them that much time to say the least

While the pros and cons vary from individual to individual, it's that individuals right to declare that the brand has gone a foul... Regardless of what flaw is perceived for them to decide so

For me, they lost me when they decided that they would start producing compact smart cars to rival the Asian Production Market like Toyota and Honda

I'll never forget the day at a Cadillac dealership when this old lady asked the salesman about the new 2012 Cadillac

"Why is it the same size as the Toyota Camry?"

The salesman was obviously upset as I exploded in laughter.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE
    no disrespect, but things change, and along with change comes some growing pains, you sound like a person that was happy with the classic cadillac, and there's nothing wrong with that. Cadillac, however, found themselves in an interesting pickle. when they lost dominance in the luxury segment (by building crappy cars) they left a huge vacuum of buyers wanting supreme quality vehicles. the Germans stepped in to provide that supreme quality this, in turn, trained several generations of buyer in a European style of luxury that heavily defines luxury as technical and performance excess as opposed to comfort excess that american manufacturers favored. this is where we find ourselves today, and the Germans are not going to leave the door open like cadillac did for someone else to redefine the segment. so cadillac was at a crossroads either continue to make cars for a diminishing segment or beat the germans at their own game. these new cars may be funny to you (my dad feels the same way) the majority of buyers in these luxury segments are voting with their pocketbooks and the votes heavily lean toward European style luxury. will they lose buyers that have your tastes and sensibilities, for sure, but in this change or die world the calculus Cadillac used to determine their strategy going forward favored the growing market as opposed to the shrinking one.

in regards to Cadillacs behavior, such as in your northstar example, thats the old GM that killed the company, is the new GM fixed? that remains to be seen, but the evidence suggests so, the fit and finnish of their new cars show very large improvements model over model and, though we complain, CUE is a very lofty undertaking that old GM would never do (like making us buy onstar munutes instead of adding bluetooth for years). I for one, and am sure a lot of people here want to encourage the new GM to keep making gains in these new directions

----------

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I truly love my '13 SRX and am not the least bit disappointed in it as a car. But CUE is like taking a souffle out of the oven before it's ready. You can still eat it but it is not what you were hoping for. I mentioned above about Ford having to go back and make some major revisions to their system because of huge customer dissatisfaction with it. BMW and MB was crucified over their attempts. Almost all brands had their problems and then GM ignored all of these travails and built theirs in the dark, or at least it appears that they did. Would it not have been a good idea for GM to have bought one model of each auto makers high end models and tear them apart to find out what actual consumers though about them? Take the good and get rid of the bad seems like a no brainer to me. I am going to enjoy my car until it's time to trade but as mentioned above how we get treated by Cadillac in the future with this issue and possible improvements will decide how many of us stay with the marque.
    I don't think CUE was built in the dark, I think CUE was an attempt to leapfrog the competition by adopting a tablet/smartphone paradign, GM does do the knob interface thing as seen in the current buick regal, but i see this as a bold move, because had they just copied, they would allways be years behind the knob camp because the Germans won't just stand still and let Cadillac catch up.

as far as reverse engineering the competition, they do that masterfully, the ATS is proof, I was told by cadillac reps and have read that cadillac when targeting the 3 series, they took note of the dissapointment BMW owners had with the newer models, and zero'd in on the most beloved of 3 series the e46 (1998-2006). I was told by the rep that after cadillac pulled the car apart they put it back together and component by component they replaced segments of that car (most notably the suspension) with new ATS developement parts and worked on them until it outperformed the BMW part it replaced. this very much shows in how the ATS drives, it is stellar, absolutely top notch. pretty much every auto magazine in comparison test after comparison test have said they like the ATS very much (sometime more than the BMW) but there are still a couple of things left to improve, mainly transmission, and gearing (needing an extra shift to 60 slowing it down) and CUE gremlins keep it from taking the overall crown. now lets think about this..... this is cadillac being spoken of as within a nose hair of the best of the best. that is an insane jump up in quality/features/performance, pretty incredible if you ask me.

Your car, the SRX did the same thing to the Lexus RX, cudos to Cadillac for this. Have they work to do? most definately, have they been working hard? most definately, they just need to keep at it, working even harder, to avoid the sophmore jinx.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    no disrespect, but things change, and along with change comes some growing pains, you sound like a person that was happy with the classic cadillac, and there's nothing wrong with that. Cadillac, however, found themselves in an interesting pickle. when they lost dominance in the luxury segment (by building crappy cars) they left a huge vacuum of buyers wanting supreme quality vehicles. the Germans stepped in to provide that supreme quality this, in turn, trained several generations of buyer in a European style of luxury that heavily defines luxury as technical and performance excess as opposed to comfort excess that american manufacturers favored. this is where we find ourselves today, and the Germans are not going to leave the door open like cadillac did for someone else to redefine the segment. so cadillac was at a crossroads either continue to make cars for a diminishing segment or beat the germans at their own game. these new cars may be funny to you (my dad feels the same way) the majority of buyers in these luxury segments are voting with their pocketbooks and the votes heavily lean toward European style luxury. will they lose buyers that have your tastes and sensibilities, for sure, but in this change or die world the calculus Cadillac used to determine their strategy going forward favored the growing market as opposed to the shrinking one.

in regards to Cadillacs behavior, such as in your northstar example, thats the old GM that killed the company, is the new GM fixed? that remains to be seen, but the evidence suggests so, the fit and finnish of their new cars show very large improvements model over model and, though we complain, CUE is a very lofty undertaking that old GM would never do (like making us buy onstar munutes instead of adding bluetooth for years). I for one, and am sure a lot of people here want to encourage the new GM to keep making gains in these new directions

----------

I don't think CUE was built in the dark, I think CUE was an attempt to leapfrog the competition by adopting a tablet/smartphone paradign, GM does do the knob interface thing as seen in the current buick regal, but i see this as a bold move, because had they just copied, they would allways be years behind the knob camp because the Germans won't just stand still and let Cadillac catch up.

as far as reverse engineering the competition, they do that masterfully, the ATS is proof, I was told by cadillac reps and have read that cadillac when targeting the 3 series, they took note of the dissapointment BMW owners had with the newer models, and zero'd in on the most beloved of 3 series the e46 (1998-2006). I was told by the rep that after cadillac pulled the car apart they put it back together and component by component they replaced segments of that car (most notably the suspension) with new ATS developement parts and worked on them until it outperformed the BMW part it replaced. this very much shows in how the ATS drives, it is stellar, absolutely top notch. pretty much every auto magazine in comparison test after comparison test have said they like the ATS very much (sometime more than the BMW) but there are still a couple of things left to improve, mainly transmission, and gearing (needing an extra shift to 60 slowing it down) and CUE gremlins keep it from taking the overall crown. now lets think about this..... this is cadillac being spoken of as within a nose hair of the best of the best. that is an insane jump up in quality/features/performance, pretty incredible if you ask me.

Your car, the SRX did the same thing to the Lexus RX, cudos to Cadillac for this. Have they work to do? most definately, have they been working hard? most definately, they just need to keep at it, working even harder, to avoid the sophmore jinx.
    U make some very good points about GM and its older luxury brand but I jus feel it wasn't the full size automobile that consumers turned away from, it was the flawed masterpiece Northstar that killed that line up

Sure European competitors had an edge in the market, they weren't producing vehicles with costly exorbitant fixes that the Northstar generation was experiencing...

But GM addresses the problem by altering its lineage... To accommodate the European Style "Sports Sedan" Market?

GM walked from their roots simply bc they didn't want to focus on the real problem in their full size luxury line up, so they copied, cut and pasted from its major overseas competitors... Not very American nor Innovative to say the least

To me, that's a Board Room of Safe Players in Suits Stating that they're now incompetent to do anything other than what it's competitors are doing to maintain a portion of the market share

Cadillac use to be an American Brand Defined by being big and bold...

It now Mimics every other average foreign sports car on the planet (aside from the SUV line up)

Personally, if I wanted a sports car or an SUV/Truck, Cadillac doesn't come to mind at all... Don't get me wrong, the vehicles are nice,

but for me, Sports Sedan or SUV/Truck do Not compliment the Luxury Lineage Cadillac once was

But I guess I'm jus an Old School Luxury Sedan Man

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

I guess I'm jus an Old School Luxury Sedan Man
    Good. Identifying the problem is the first step toward solving it.

It's funny that you mentioned the ATS POwookie,
    "I don't think CUE was built in the dark, I think CUE was an attempt to leapfrog the competition by adopting a tablet/smartphone paradign, GM does do the knob interface thing as seen in the current buick regal, but i see this as a bold move, because had they just copied, they would allways be years behind the knob camp because the Germans won't just stand still and let Cadillac catch up."

I don't think leapfrogging is necessary on some items. Would you like the light switches in your home to require that you touch a screen and tap three times to get the lights to come on? There are always going to be some items in our lives that defy "Smart" solutions, your belt for example or socks. Now if they went to a voice recognition system that actually worked then the game would be changed for Cadillac.

"as far as reverse engineering the competition, they do that masterfully, the ATS is proof, I was told by cadillac reps and have read that cadillac when targeting the 3 series, they took note of the dissapointment BMW owners had with the newer models, and zero'd in on the most beloved of 3 series the e46 (1998-2006). I was told by the rep that after cadillac pulled the car apart they put it back together and component by component they replaced segments of that car (most notably the suspension) with new ATS developement parts and worked on them until it outperformed the BMW part it replaced. this very much shows in how the ATS drives, it is stellar, absolutely top notch. pretty much every auto magazine in comparison test after comparison test have said they like the ATS very much (sometime more than the BMW) but there are still a couple of things left to improve, mainly transmission, and gearing (needing an extra shift to 60 slowing it down) and CUE gremlins keep it from taking the overall crown. now lets think about this..... this is cadillac being spoken of as within a nose hair of the best of the best. that is an insane jump up in quality/features/performance, pretty incredible if you ask me".

I just read a comparison of the two brands that the ATS competes with and it came in third. The final report said that if it were only the handling and ride the ATS would have come in first. But due to CUE, which they said was as welcome as herpes, and some cheap appointments on the interior it fell to third place. So it would seem to me that on the areas where Cadillac used the competition as a measure it won but on the area where it decided to one up them it failed miserably. I'm sure that it will all work out but I do not understand GM taking their top brand and turning it into a beta lab. I also know that the car magazines are not American car friendly but not one of them has one good thing to say about CUE.

if it were only the handling and ride the ATS would have come in first. But due to CUE, which they said was as welcome as herpes, and some cheap appointments on the interior it fell to third place.
    pretty much what i said, yes it came in 3rd but in what company Lexus and BMW (there are more cars in this segment), and the impression i got from the article was they were rooting for it and wanted it to win, based on how well it drove. what I find interesting is how hard they ding the car because of CUE (most likely a pre-updated CUE at that), yet when the 3 series had the gen1 idrive, which was equally a disaster, they still found it in their hearts to let it win every time they tested it and be on the top ten list. it's a double standard car before tech for them and tech before car for us.

----------

But I guess I'm jus an Old School Luxury Sedan Man Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    AMEN!! there's nothing wrong with that, in the classic heyday Cadillac was BAD ASS!!!

as for me i believe its generational and the world is smaller in terms of access to information and seeing how other cars are built in other places. as i said before my father feels as you do, also my first car was a '64 chevelle and at the age of 19 i spun out my dads spare car (a '72 Torino Wagon i definitly know how a boat drives) at 70 MPH on the freeway swerving to avoid an item dropped out of a truck in front of me. I recall reading somewhere that BMW and Mercedes engineers consider the best safety equipment in the car is behind the wheel, and adding performance is adding safety by enabling the driver. after that accident I swore i would never drive another car that couldn't handle itself well in an emergency situation, to me the comfort of knowing my car has better capabilities is luxury.

If you have the WSJ today look at the article about JD Powers car rating for 2013. Cadillac went from fourth to fourteenth! Can anyone guess why? You guessed it CUE. It mentioned GMC and Chevy placing tenth and added that these two brands did not make the conversion to an all touch screen system like Ford and Cadillac did. It actually went on to say that knobs were making a comeback on other GM models and also said that the XTS, ATS and another model that I can't remember would have all placed in the top if not for CUE. I guess the down side of all of this is that Ford just went ahead with their redo of "My Touch" and left the older owners out of the new system so I'm sort of figuring that Cadillac will do the same. I see the potential of CUE but the present level of development it's just not there. If I were sitting beside Codeman at the next meeting of the designers I would say work on the voice system since that would alleviate a lot of the manual tapping and frustrating non-responsive taps as well as the scrolling to get to where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    If you have the WSJ today look at the article about JD Powers car rating for 2013. Cadillac went from fourth to fourteenth! Can anyone guess why? You guessed it CUE. It mentioned GMC and Chevy placing tenth and added that these two brands did not make the conversion to an all touch screen system like Ford and Cadillac did. It actually went on to say that knobs were making a comeback on other GM models and also said that the XTS, ATS and another model that I can't remember would have all placed in the top if not for CUE. I guess the down side of all of this is that Ford just went ahead with their redo of "My Touch" and left the older owners out of the new system so I'm sort of figuring that Cadillac will do the same. I see the potential of CUE but the present level of development it's just not there. If I were sitting beside Codeman at the next meeting of the designers I would say work on the voice system since that would alleviate a lot of the manual tapping and frustrating non-responsive taps as well as the scrolling to get to where you want to be.
    Agreed, here is something interesting to add to this, the new radio in the new GMC trucks is CUE, although they call it intellilink, touch screen and all. One fundamental difference between GMC 2014 intellilink and CUE is intellilink has knobs.....GM has learned something at our expense.

as a side note, if you want to have fun with CUE making it's voice command fail, those with CUE nav say:

"point of interest" - wait for it to ask for name and city

then say:

"Maderas golf club poway california"

and all CUE owners can say:

"play Lenny Kravitz"

those just will not work for me, and I was raised in San Diego so i have virtually no accent to get in the way

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.