How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD card or USB Memory stick? Mine frequestly ...
    jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick?

How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD card or USB Memory stick?

Mine frequestly builds a new index and it can take 20 minutes or more to complete. I have 2447 songs on my SD card and 122 contacts on my Iphone 5. I'm wondering if other people are having this problem. It's getting very frusterating when I want to assign something to a favorite button and I can't. I'm rarely in the car more than 20 minutes. I did notice that sometimes if it's taking a long time to index and I turn off BlueTooth on my phone, the CUE system finished indexing right away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick?

I have synched my iTunes music and playlists to an SD card. When I call up anything from the SD card (SanDisk 8GB), the music starts pretty quickly...doesn't seem to be any indexing delay.

vi2k13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium AWD - Platinum Ice/Ebony

Re: How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick?

My experience is, if the music library is less than 8GB, 700+ songs it's almost instantaneous using an 8GB SD card. Also, even with this limited size library, if I use a higher capacity card than 16GB, then it is very slow to index. With a library size 12GB/~1000 songs on a 16GB card it is still good with very little delay. I have tested cards from Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston and varying capacities and speed Classes 2, 6, 10, UHS-I (including an old 1GB card) with the same results.

So my idea of having the entire music library on an SD card is not working on CUE. I doubt it matters whether it's USB Flash Drive or SD card since they use the same USB Mass Storage interface.

This is of course on an SRX.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpaletz View Post
    How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD card or USB Memory stick?

Mine frequestly builds a new index and it can take 20 minutes or more to complete. I have 2447 songs on my SD card and 122 contacts on my Iphone 5. I'm wondering if other people are having this problem. It's getting very frusterating when I want to assign something to a favorite button and I can't. I'm rarely in the car more than 20 minutes. I did notice that sometimes if it's taking a long time to index and I turn off BlueTooth on my phone, the CUE system finished indexing right away.
    Hi jeffpaletz,

If you contact the CUE support team at 855-428-3669, Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST; Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST, they should be able to help you. Please let us know if you have other issues or concerns!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

I'm a little confused as to the problems stated. I have now close to 4000 songs on my temporary present 32GB USB card (having lost my 32GB Class 10 SCHC card - which was somewhat slower), but on both I have/had access to my music, including playlist (only once a full indexing was done at a previous trip), within 10 to 20 seconds, even though re-indexing was again being performed, thus voice control of music doesn't work until indexing is completed which therefore is only of benefit on long trips. Music stalled, though, if I had removed the stick/card and made a change, but seemed to work after switching to Radio and then back to my device even though indexing was not finished. It resumed it's normal behaviour after a full re-index job.) It would make sense that indexing will take longer the more data one has, although not sure it should be affected by the size of the storage media, particularly if stored fresh after formatting. Anyway, based on my experience even while indexing, I can use playlists, etc. or favorite buttons if there was no change to my data, but no voice control. I would also assume that the indexing time is impacted on how the data is placed on the device. For example, loading my playlists first and having only a relative low volume of folders on the media may be faster than having used DoubleTwist which rearranges everything by artist, e.g. a single Album folder with 20 songs (all different artists) is replayed by 20 folders by artists with a subfolder of that Album (in this sample 40 folders), so in my case I ended up with thousands of folders. It would be of interest to know how CUE arranges it's index, e.g. Album/Artist/Song or Artist/Album/Song so if the latter DoubleTwist may actually improve the speed. Presumably it takes it from the actual ID3 tag of each song (like DoubleTwist) as otherwise it would not have all required information and uses to playlist data in addition, which would account for the long time required to index. Not that I otherwise like DoubleTwist. It's free, but I since found out they download among other info your total address book!. Should have read their rules beforehand. Too late now. LOL.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

CUE is absolutely terrible, in this regard, every other car I've connected my iphone to just works, but not the one that is supposedly the highest tech infotainment system. granted those other cars did not use voice to access songs by name, but they were there almost instantly or worse case under a minute and getting to your music is much faster in those dumber radios. Cadillac missed the mark here, the point is getting the happy fun environment going so you ENJOY your car/drive/trip/commute not fight with your car (either by voice, steering wheel, or screen) until you've arrived. I have roughly 11,000 songs in my library, I recognize this is large and a heavy load, but then again we payed more for a supposedly more sophisticated system, at the very least, us consumers have a justifiable expectation that our higher expenditure would get us a better performing unit, than the Knob equipped radios we left behind. In most cases this is true, Ipod is more that a grocery store mp3 player and we get richly rewarded by the ownership experience for our higher spend. Home theater surround, is better than a sound bar, grey goose is better than vodka in a plastic bottle, etc. then we get to Cadillac, and CUE is not better than our previous radios. Cadillac needs to do better, especially for us who spent dearly on you in the faith and hope and trust that what you were telling us "ATS is awesome" "CUE is awesome" was not hyperbole and wishful thinking on your part. You claim to be the "New Standard of the World" yet forgot that if we just needed wheels to go to and fro, we'd buy Hyundai/Kia/Toyota/Honda/Ford/Chevy. Luxury, cars are optional, we chose to spend more on our wheels because, just like in the examples I made earlier, life has taught us the more expensive thing is usually the more pleasurable thing to behold/use/be entertained by.

Please fix:

indexing - if my family's 2 iPhone 5, 3 iPads (2,3,and 4), 2 apple TV's, and windows7 PC hosting Itunes can stay in sync with our large music library, as well as pictures and movies, then surely CUE (if/when up to expectations) should remember the music it had 5 minutes before I stepped out of the car to check my mail.

indexing - it should not take 45 minutes to an hour to index my phone

voice - when dealing with the previous two problems, it's irritating enough that the $1,350 CUE system cannot do what a $250 iPod can, but to be reminded of that fact with "A media device initializing, while it's initializing you cannot ....blah,blah blah" when trying to make a phone call, preventing you from making a hands free call. I know about pressing again to shut her up, doesn't work reliably, i now use the handset (illegal) to avoid delays making calls

voice - when i do want to play music hearing "this media device has to many songs, you will not be able to access you music by song title, but you can access playlists" reminder 2 that $250 toy > $1350 toy

settings - when i try to cut cue down to size (to bug me less dealing with the previous issues until an update saves me) by shortening the voice prompts within two or three start cycles the cars reverted back to long. grrr

you have a short window to get this right and start delighting people, there are a higher percentage of us who lease, in 24 - 36 months you could lose us for life as CUE smacks us back into the BMW we were gonna get but decided to give you a shot. the entry level luxury market is the least loyal, we are the singles dating, were looking for out soulbrand.
    Grayzweb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XTS View Post
    [snipped]I have/had access to my music, including playlist (only once a full indexing was done at a previous trip), within 10 to 20 seconds, even though re-indexing was again being performed, thus voice control of music doesn't work until indexing is completed which therefore is only of benefit on long trips.[snipped]
    UPDATE: After a recent CUE update (a Radio related update which I understand was to improve voice control - which didn't change the software version number) now starting the car, it takes a few seconds longer than before (*) for music to start, but the screen is blank for another 5 to 10 seconds before it shows the info for the song it is playing. Everything else works still the same way as outlined before.
    (*) never really timed it, only estimated the timing, but it seems to be slightly slower now. The temporary blank screen even though music has started playing is new. Neither issue is a real problem as far as I am concerned.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

CUE is absolutely terrible, in this regard, every other car I've connected my iphone to just works, but not the one that is supposedly the highest tech infotainment system. granted those other cars did not use voice to access songs by name, but they were there almost instantly or worse case under a minute and getting to your music is much faster in those dumber radios. Cadillac missed the mark here, the point is getting the happy fun environment going so you ENJOY your car/drive/trip/commute not fight with your car (either by voice, steering wheel, or screen) until you've arrived. I have roughly 11,000 songs in my library, I recognize this is large and a heavy load, but then again we payed more for a supposedly more sophisticated system, at the very least, us consumers have a justifiable expectation that our higher expenditure would get us a better performing unit, than the Knob equipped radios we left behind. In most cases this is true, Ipod is more that a grocery store mp3 player and we get richly rewarded by the ownership experience for our higher spend. Home theater surround, is better than a sound bar, grey goose is better than vodka in a plastic bottle, etc. then we get to Cadillac, and CUE is not better than our previous radios. Cadillac needs to do better, especially for us who spent dearly on you in the faith and hope and trust that what you were telling us "ATS is awesome" "CUE is awesome" was not hyperbole and wishful thinking on your part. You claim to be the "New Standard of the World" yet forgot that if we just needed wheels to go to and fro, we'd buy Hyundai/Kia/Toyota/Honda/Ford/Chevy. Luxury, cars are optional, we chose to spend more on our wheels because, just like in the examples I made earlier, life has taught us the more expensive thing is usually the more pleasurable thing to behold/use/be entertained by.
    I am happy to be back on this forum after a short leave of absence. I may be repeating myself as I have made other similar replies in other threads...

...but this comment that I quoted above struck me rather hard....

I am absolutely miserable as a Cadillac owner having a CUE system installed within.

I have never seen a product behave so badly in a luxury vehicle like this.

I have been knocking my brains silly since taking ownership of my SRX last November. I have made
    enough noise about the flaws in CUE that a GM engineering team came to my dealership to see these
    problems first-hand. My CUE unit did not disappoint in performing miserably by not properly indexing
    songs on my 160GB iPod and allowing me to make voice calls with my Galaxy Note II.

Now, I have to say, GM has been absolutely responsive and rather generous in the way they dealt
    with my problems. They blame Apple for not upgrading the software on their 160GB iPod Classics to
    accommodate new technology. They also blame Samsung for having issues with their bluetooth in the
    Galaxy Note II phones.

I could accept those excuses if not for the way that CUE is designed....

Unlike any other car system that has come before it, CUE reindexes all your information every time
    you get in and out of a vehicle. GM says its for security reasons. Frankly, I don't know why security
    issues are even at play here when for years, car entertainment systems successfully stored all your
    personal information.

I would rather put a personal password in my CUE system every time the car started than to have
    my information constantly uploaded/erased every time I entered and exited the vehicle.

The fact that this is how the CUE team chose to design their product, is the reason why complaints
    exist.

Again, I have no beef with how GM handled my complaints, but it's irritating to see other people
    with similar problems that I am having.
    Grayzweb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    I am happy to be back on this forum after a short leave of absence. I may be repeating myself as I have made other similar replies in other threads...

...but this comment that I quoted above struck me rather hard....

I am absolutely miserable as a Cadillac owner having a CUE system installed within.

I have never seen a product behave so badly in a luxury vehicle like this.

I have been knocking my brains silly since taking ownership of my SRX last November. I have made
    enough noise about the flaws in CUE that a GM engineering team came to my dealership to see these
    problems first-hand. My CUE unit did not disappoint in performing miserably by not properly indexing
    songs on my 160GB iPod and allowing me to make voice calls with my Galaxy Note II.

Now, I have to say, GM has been absolutely responsive and rather generous in the way they dealt
    with my problems. They blame Apple for not upgrading the software on their 160GB iPod Classics to
    accommodate new technology. They also blame Samsung for having issues with their bluetooth in the
    Galaxy Note II phones.

I could accept those excuses if not for the way that CUE is designed....

Unlike any other car system that has come before it, CUE reindexes all your information every time
    you get in and out of a vehicle. GM says its for security reasons. Frankly, I don't know why security
    issues are even at play here when for years, car entertainment systems successfully stored all your
    personal information.

I would rather put a personal password in my CUE system every time the car started than to have
    my information constantly uploaded/erased every time I entered and exited the vehicle.

The fact that this is how the CUE team chose to design their product, is the reason why complaints
    exist.

Again, I have no beef with how GM handled my complaints, but it's irritating to see other people
    with similar problems that I am having.
    as much as I love GM engineers, my hunch/theory is they're stuck in one paradigm, that is the Bluetooth phone book paradigm. they've been giving the security excuse for years in regards to phone books of paired phones, and yet they let the same car that can't store numbers in the radio store them 2 feet up in the mirror using onstar. so I accept the security reason In regards to phone books and the speed is such that it actually works pretty well to throw out the records when the phone disconnects. but this same paradigm is failing miserably in the media space, time for a fresh idea here, actually no more fresh ideas and just copy or buy someone's idea that works.

another thought is certified iPhone/iPod accessories don't behave like this, my guess is they allow the device to act natively (ie...use the index already in the device) isn't that the point of these "plays for sure" "made for iPod" " eyes free" initiatives?

anyway I so badly want cadillac to win, which is why I invested with them, please cadillac give us solutions soon. what inspired me to write today was the constant rebooting cue was doing when I tried to play my 2 year olds favorite song she was asking for, this is a miserable fail, her $99 leappad gets to the song faster and easier than my $1350 CUE, not good!!!!

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I continue to be frusterated with the issue of indexing. Today we used my wife's 2013 SRX to stop at the bank and Home Depot and a fast food place for lunch. I put in a 32 gig USB thumb drive because I'd added a few songs to the 2400 already on the USB thumb drive and added a playlist. The songs and play list did not show up until we had been driving the car for over 20 minutes. This is just not acceptable and not what I expected when we bought our cars. Cadillac, are you listening? A response would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpaletz View Post
    I continue to be frusterated with the issue of indexing. Today we used my wife's 2013 SRX to stop at the bank and Home Depot and a fast food place for lunch. I put in a 32 gig USB thumb drive because I'd added a few songs to the 2400 already on the USB thumb drive and added a playlist. The songs and play list did not show up until we had been driving the car for over 20 minutes. This is just not acceptable and not what I expected when we bought our cars. Cadillac, are you listening? A response would be appreciated.
    anyone else notice the lack of Cadillacs presence here of late, no "hey folks, cue works with these cards" or "we're sorry please bear with us we promise to make you happy". it feels like they've lawyered up and anything they say will incriminate them. it's too bad, because I feel like the people in this forum are really nice and patient, and are willing to work these things out, but communication is a two way thing, and we're communicating and guess who's not

Hi All,

I apologize for how you all feel about the CUE system. We are always looking to update our systems. We'll continue to collect your feedback and suggestions for possible enhancements to future releases. If anyone would like to discuss additional questions or concerns, please reach out to me via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Laura, please add my June 3 post from http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-clewless.html to your collection. (even though I am from Canada. LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XTS View Post
    Laura, please add my June 3 post from http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-clewless.html to your collection. (even though I am from Canada. LOL.)

Will do CDN XTS! Even though you are from Canada, we appreciate your feedback too

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    CDN XTS and CDN XTS like this.

got to play with 2014 intellilink today, it's CUE reskinned, DIC was laid out differently and had buttons on back of steering wheel to select options, screen was a matte LCD (no fingerprints), it had knobs, and no haptic feedback. but the biggest thing is it was actually nice to use, nice and responsive, the people showing it to me did not know about indexing issues so had no answer there. when I got back to my car I was fed up and wiped/reset the whole thing(bye bye, hours spent arranging and naming my 50 favorites and settings). I'm pleased to report responsiveness has returned but it still thinks Lenny kravits is an xm channel.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.