How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by jeffpaletz How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD card or USB ...
    TimTown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4 Platinum

Re: How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpaletz View Post
    How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD card or USB Memory stick?

Mine frequestly builds a new index and it can take 20 minutes or more to complete. I have 2447 songs on my SD card and 122 contacts on my Iphone 5. I'm wondering if other people are having this problem. It's getting very frusterating when I want to assign something to a favorite button and I can't. I'm rarely in the car more than 20 minutes. I did notice that sometimes if it's taking a long time to index and I turn off BlueTooth on my phone, the CUE system finished indexing right away.
    Hello Jeff,

On 6/1/2013 my CUE s/w was updated to 23150273 in my 2013 XTS4 Platinum. It took overnight to index the songs from my flash memory (~3,000 songs).

I wonder if you could help me. I have an iPhone5 as well w/ release 6.1.4. I have two problems which no one has been able to solve.

First problem: Even after deleting the phone, repairing them, I cannot make changes to the contact list from my iPhone5 and see them registered in the CUE's display, even after 10 minutes of waiting. CAN YOU MAKE UPDATES, WHILE PAIRED, AND SEE THEM ON THE CUE DISPLAY?

Second problem: ALL 145 contacts, except for three, are uploaded and displayed on the CUE display! All of the other contacts are displayed correctly. The three missing all have the first name of "Octopus". They do not appear! I've looked at the Addressbook v-card file and everything looks fine. HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED WEIRD PROBLEMS LIKE THIS?

WHAT IS THE RELEASE NUMBER OF YOUR CAD'S SOFTWARE?

Sometime next week perhaps, my dealer service expert will interface to the ARM 11 processor, with a CUE programming expert on line to figure out what is going on. Hopefully.

Your help greatly appreciated!
    Tim ( Timtowns@gmail.com )

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Re: How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick?

Hello. First post and my first Cadillac (a new 2013 SRX).

Had it about two weeks, loving lots about it.

Had resisted the music digitalization thing until now. Hopped in with both feet a couple days ago, ripping about 150 CDs with Nero 12 which created .mp4 files, .m3u playlists, and artwork. CUE seems to be seeing artwork from somewhere (I saw reports here that it doesn't do that with Nero, but I'm seeing them).

So I bought a 32GB mini-usb kind of stick (SanDisk Cruzer Fit) that is barely longer than the USB connector so it doesn't run a risk of getting knocked out or busted off, dumped all that on it (straight copy in Windows) and put it in. About 2400 songs and 150 albums. Seemed to work great, saw most stuff in a hurry.

Then today I realized I had another 10 or so albums on CD I'd forgotten about, ripped them, brought the stick in from the car, dumped them on there (same Windows copy) and put it back in the car.

Couldn't see the new stuff. Futzed around for a few minutes, and still couldn't see it. Then I dumped the new directories on a different stick and used that and saw them immediately. So now I've wiped the original stick clean and re-copied everything (including the new stuff) to it again and am going to try it again.

While doing that, I came here to browse around and found this forum and thread.

So I'm guessing I've got a re-indexing issue, and just don't know if it is serious or I didn't have enough patience. How long should I expect to wait for a re-indexing to "find" those new albums/songs/artists (about 10 out of 160 now, 2,600 songs or so, total of about 7GB of storage used)?

Does CUE continue reindexing when the car is turned off? Or only while I'm playing music from the stick?

How does CUE know it needs to do a reindex in the first place? Or does it just do one on its own schedule?

Is there some way to force CUE to do a reindex of the USB stick? I thought I'd be clever and switch back and forth (center console storage slot) between USB sticks and maybe when I put the first one back in after having had a second one in there that would cause it to reindex. Doesn't seem to have done so, but I may not have given it enough time.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated on how long I should reasonably wait for CUE to find the new albums before concluding I'm doing something wrong.

Edit Later: The re-dump to the first stick seems to have a re-indexing in progress. That yellow circle thing is circling. Saw some of the new albums at least (Chicago 5-CD "The Box" hasn't shown up yet however) intermixed with some of the old. Guess I'll play along for awhile and hope they show up after a bit. Be nice if CUE keeps doing its reindexing thing after I got out of the car and it shut off (to all appearances). Anyone know if it does?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post

Had it about two weeks, loving lots about it.

Had resisted the music digitalization thing until now. Hopped in with both feet a couple days ago, ripping about 150 CDs with Nero 12 which created .mp4 files, .m3u playlists, and artwork. CUE seems to be seeing artwork from somewhere (I saw reports here that it doesn't do that with Nero, but I'm seeing them).

So I bought a 32GB mini-usb kind of stick (SanDisk Cruzer Fit) that is barely longer than the USB connector so it doesn't run a risk of getting knocked out or busted off, dumped all that on it (straight copy in Windows) and put it in. About 2400 songs and 150 albums. Seemed to work great, saw most stuff in a hurry.

Then today I realized I had another 10 or so albums on CD I'd forgotten about, ripped them, brought the stick in from the car, dumped them on there (same Windows copy) and put it back in the car.

Couldn't see the new stuff. Futzed around for a few minutes, and still couldn't see it. Then I dumped the new directories on a different stick and used that and saw them immediately. So now I've wiped the original stick clean and re-copied everything (including the new stuff) to it again and am going to try it again.

While doing that, I came here to browse around and found this forum and thread.

So I'm guessing I've got a re-indexing issue, and just don't know if it is serious or I didn't have enough patience. How long should I expect to wait for a re-indexing to "find" those new albums/songs/artists (about 10 out of 160 now, 2,600 songs or so, total of about 7GB of storage used)?

Does CUE continue reindexing when the car is turned off? Or only while I'm playing music from the stick?

How does CUE know it needs to do a reindex in the first place? Or does it just do one on its own schedule?

Is there some way to force CUE to do a reindex of the USB stick? I thought I'd be clever and switch back and forth (center console storage slot) between USB sticks and maybe when I put the first one back in after having had a second one in there that would cause it to reindex. Doesn't seem to have done so, but I may not have given it enough time.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated on how long I should reasonably wait for CUE to find the new albums before concluding I'm doing something wrong.

Edit Later: The re-dump to the first stick seems to have a re-indexing in progress. That yellow circle thing is circling. Saw some of the new albums at least (Chicago 5-CD "The Box" hasn't shown up yet however) intermixed with some of the old. Guess I'll play along for awhile and hope they show up after a bit. Be nice if CUE keeps doing its reindexing thing after I got out of the car and it shut off (to all appearances). Anyone know if it does?
    Hello georule,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first Cadillac vehicle! I am glad to hear that you are loving your SRX. Laura or I are happy to assist you with any questions or concern you have in regards to your vehicle, but questions about the CUE system would be able to be handled better by our CUE specialty team. Here is their number if you would like to reach out to them: 855-428-3669. They are open seven days a week, 8AM to 10PM EST. Please keep us updated if you decide to give them a call. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks for the offer --I drove my SRX today, and while it hadn't found all my new albums when I started the vehicle, when I checked a few minutes later they were all there and available to play. So I'm satisfied with the indexing performance now that I've got an expectations level set as to how it will work.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks for the offer --I drove my SRX today, and while it hadn't found all my new albums when I started the vehicle, when I checked a few minutes later they were all there and available to play. So I'm satisfied with the indexing performance now that I've got an expectations level set as to how it will work.
    Hello georule,

You are very welcome! I am glad to hear that you are satisfied with the performance. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out to Laura or I via private message. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

See answers after your questions:

It does not index when the car is off.

It indexes everytime you start the car.

----------

I've purchased some new USB memory sticks. I copied the same data, about 2450 songs on to the the new memory sticks and it only took about 2 minutes to index the songs-the first time. Unfortunately I found that when the car is started and it start reindexing, that's when it takes 20 minutes or so. Can some of you try this and see if you have the same experience?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpaletz View Post
    My (short) experience supports that as well.

Switching USB sticks in and out tho it does seem able to continue to use the "old" index as it does its reindexing. I'd guess worst case is when you add just a few songs or an album or two to a large base collection.

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

Hello all!

I'm a brand new '13 SRX Luxury owner, and so far, I'm thrilled with the SRX. The Cue is taking some time to get used to, but my last few vehicles have all been Fords with Sync, which means I'm used to voice control for media and phone.

Having said that, I wanted to offer some direct comparisons between CUE and Sync ...

1) Sync isn't perfect. It's very good (and has lots of time to refine) and does a great job, but does occasionally have indexing issues, as does CUE apparently.
    2) I haven't had any index problems with CUE (yet.) My address book appears pretty quickly, and for the first minute or so of my drive, it does warn me when I press the button that a media device is still indexing, but that has always gone quickly (at least for the 4 days I've actually had the vehicle

With Sync, I was used to pressing the voice control button on the wheel twice to bypass the prompt and just get a 'beep'. Would love for there to be three options with CUE: "Long prompts", "Short prompts", and "Just a Beep for $100, Alex."

3) On the Sync system, the address book is downloaded from the phone via Bluetooth into the Sync system's flash memory. I don't understand how it's a privacy issue; said address book is only accessible when the phone it came from is paired and present. I think the entire 'privacy' thing is a canard; obviously Ford and Microsoft got it to work. (Can't believe I'm praising Microsoft, but I DO think Sync is one of their best products!)

4) The indexing on CUE was quite a bit faster than the initial indexing for Sync; Sync creates an index and then creates "speech commands" - the entire process can take 10-15 minutes for my iPhone with 3,500 songs. CUE was ready, even on the initial plug-in, much quicker than that.

CUE's got tons of potential, and in fact, I'm pretty happy with it as-is. Granted, I'm using only an iPhone 5, so it's a pretty simply configuration, but still -- I'm happy thus far.

Hoping that we continue to get updates as new features roll out -- I would like to see deeper integration with the iPhone. For example, calling up apps on the CUE display (think Apple Maps or Google Maps displaying on the CUE display, etc.). Lots of potential here!
    georule likes this.

dmw15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 SRX

I've had my '14 SRX for a little less than a month now and so far I'm very disappinted in the way the CUE system handles USB drives. Not only is the indexing slow, but it does not give you the ability to search the drive by folder. This causes problems with the way the music is indexed as in some cases one album (a movie soundtrack for example) will have a seperate folder for each artist on it. This issue could be resolved if they knew how to make the system read by folder, much like my '11 Traverse and '13 Sonic can. Replies I get from the CUE support team is that this feature is not avaliable and that I should create iTunes playlist as a workaround. The playlist option doesn't work and I really don't feel like putting my 400 cd collection in my car to sort through and play what artist I feel like at the moment.

Why can't Cadillac fix this problem??? They should be embarrassed that the USB audio features in a Chevy Sonic and Traverse blow away the much more expensive and slow CUE system. (I won't even get into how slow the voice system is, compared to a Traverse as I do not want to stray to far off topic).

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Why can't Cadillac fix this problem??? They should be embarrassed that the USB audio features in a Chevy Sonic and Traverse blow away the much more expensive and slow CUE system.
    Many of us have been asking that question for well over a year now.

MikeElmendorf is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2014 CTS and so I'm somewhat new to CUE.

That said, I have not experienced any of these issues. I have a very extensive list of contacts--over 3,000--and CUE is the only vehicle I've owned so far that syncs all of them. It updates and gets changes quickly and thoroughly.

Same is true for the iPod interface. I have a dedicated iPod 160G that I keep in the car with about 3,800 songs on it. I sync it up to iTunes periodically when I have added new content. I have never had an issue with the system not performing or indexing. It gets all my tracks easily via voice command. My previous Acura did this seemlessly, too. I had an Infiniti Q50 that was returned as a buy-back (many, many problems) and the InTouch voice commends for audio tracks never worked, despite the number of songs being well below their advertised limit of 5,000.

I wonder if the software is newer in the CTS?

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Same is true for the iPod interface. I have a dedicated iPod 160G that I keep in the car with about 3,800 songs on it. I sync it up to iTunes periodically when I have added new content. I have never had an issue with the system not performing or indexing. It gets all my tracks easily via voice command. My previous Acura did this seemlessly, too. I had an Infiniti Q50 that was returned as a buy-back (many, many problems) and the InTouch voice commends for audio tracks never worked, despite the number of songs being well below their advertised limit of 5,000.
    I am amazed.

I have a 160GB iPod and it's useless with my 2013 SRX Cue system.

Even the Cue team admitted that the 160GB iPod would not work well. They blamed it on old technology. Truth be, it was their new technology with its constant indexing of songs that made the iPod incompatible.

I wonder if they fixed the issue with the 2014 system. They certainly didn't tell me.

I will look and see if there is an update that can be done to my system to fix the problems I was having including the wrong songs coming up when voice commands were used as well as picking a song from the list and another song playing in its place.

Had a new one on me yesterday. Told VR "Play album Styx Greatest Hits". It came up with "Greatest Hits, is that correct?". So I told it yes. . . and got a roll-my-own compilation of all songs on albums named "Greatest Hits". Alabama, Ricky Nelson, Styx, a couple others.

To tell the truth, I enjoyed it. However, I don't think that's the way it's really supposed to work. . .

juneorta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS

Unhappy Re: How long does your CUE system take to Index songs on the SD or USB Memory stick?

Thank you for your work and attempts to correct the CUE system initialization problem. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I was blaming the problem on my old cell phone. The work around was to turn on and off the phone once in the car or to turn on the phone once in the car. Today my CD player failed to initialize my CD (which is full of MP3s). This was the last straw. Thank goodness if found the workaround. The workaround was to pop out the CD and then pop it back it. I can deal with those two issues because there is a solution. My USB (8 GB) and my SDHC card (4 GB) have intermitant initialization. The SDHC card worked very well for about 3 days. Today, I got the message that NOTHING was "paired". There was dead silence until I got the AM radio working. I've already taken the car (2014 XTS) for the squeaky brakes and the glove box; I wonder if I have to take the car in for the CUE system? How would I get a software update if one is or becomes availabe? It would be nice if it would download automatically but I am assuming I'll have to take it in to the dealership. I await your response.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.