Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CUE Shutdown/Reboot

37K views 101 replies 18 participants last post by  jrcollins50 
#1 ·
I have had the most curious event happen to me now, 3 times post the CUE update. All three occur after about 30 min of continuous driving on the interstate. There is nothing rough about the road (compared to other roads that I drive on) and the only constant is that i have Pandora on and cabled to an iPhone 5. CUE will just "reboot". The entire screen goes dark, including the portion of the DIC that is CUE related (I have the cluster configured for the performance view). The phone will disconnect, bluetooth will disconnect and the system will reboot. This lasts for about 30 seconds or so. Then everything will come back up just as it was, no loss of Nav (during one of the reboots i was using navigation), same place in the song i was at, bluetooth reconnects, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#4 ·
FYI an update, i have my XTS in the shop (again) to fix the "droopy headliner recall issue" among other things, and the QUE reboot is on the list. I just checked with the dealer and they have replaced my "stack" to resolve this. Kind of a drastic step, seems like throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but what do I know....

#6 ·
This is similar to what i am experiencing, however it is a total reboot of CUE, so no audio, no phone, no NAV, etc. The dealer replaced my "stack" and i picked up the car on Thursday and went our of town this past weekend. I had CUE reboot three times during the extended drive time. This only happens after an extended period of use and the only constant is that I am using Pandora cabled to an iPhone 5. I have not tested without using Pandora, that will be the next step.

#8 ·
We just got the update about a month ago and my wife only drives about 20 min to get home from work. She has already had her CUE stop working in that short distance at least three times. Once nothing worked and other times either just the top stopped displaying or just the bottom stopped working. No issues before the update and the dealer is an hour away so we are waiting for our first service which is coming up to have them look at it.
On a side note we have friends in SC that had the same car and there CUE was draining the battery preventing the car from starting, dealer couldn't resolve the issue after three attempts so they returned it for a different car.
Not what you would expect from a $53,000 car.
Other than the few issues with the CUE we love the SRX, its great on my back as I'm a 100% disabled veteran and handles awesome! Hope they get the bugs worked out soon.

#9 ·
UPDATE: I had my XTS in for service on this issue and some trim replacement. The service manager said he did some research and found some issue related to bluetooth phone pairing and potential CUE shutdown and reboots. He suggested that i unpair my device and try that. I have three devices paired and on the occasion when the reboot happens i have my iPhone 5 paired and active. I switched to an alternate device that i have paired which is an iPhone 4s. I have not as yet, had the reboot happen with the 4s active. I will switch back to the 5 after several more days and see if that is in fact the issue.

#11 ·
Hello pkadanec,

I am sorry your vehicle has been experiencing a CUE reboot when your iPhone 5 is paired. I am happy to hear the 4s has been working appropriately for you. Please keep us updated on this issue when you switch back and pair your iPhone 5 again. We are here to provide assistance, so please let us know if you have other concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

#15 ·
Hello:

I have owned my Cadillac ATS for three days and tonight on the highway CUE went completely dark and shut down. I called the dealer while still mobile and the service department said they've never heard of this. I pulled over, shut down the car, restarted it, but CUE was still dark, as were all the system controls (eg, air conditioning) on the same stack. No reboot. It's a little frightening to have the center stack suddenly shut off while driving. I would love an explanation from Cadillac, along with an effective fix and maybe a tranquilizer.

#22 ·
As from my original post (the subject for this thread), this issue still occurs for me. I have targeted the relationship between the iPhone 5, bluetooth and this issue. My dealer actually tipped me off to this as a potential cause. I tested with my iPhone 4s paired and i could not replicate the issue (at least not yet). Still waiting for a response from GM. I still find it amazing that there is no debug information or log file created when the system reboots (because of an obvious fault). The dealer said that unless they are jacked into the matrix and monitoring when this happens, they cannot reproduce it (duh!). i think the ability to put the system into "debug mode" would make sense. Comments, Cadillac??? Anyone, Bueller?

#23 ·
Reviving this thread after 2.5 months of inactivity.

This happened on my 2013 SRX three times during the past month the last being today. On previous two occasions it happened while driving but today it was when I started the car.

Has anyone here had this issue fixed?

Thanks!

#24 ·
No, it has not been "fixed" for me however I was just on an extended trip and i used CUE extensively in the configuration that i have noted above and did not have any occurrences. I did have the dealer open a case with Cadillac technical support so the issue can be logged. Since it just mysteriously "stopped" i am NOT confident that it will not reoccur. I will keep you posted via this thread.

#26 ·
Folks, we are at the 2013 halfway point of our CUE cars and we are about to be put into the dustbin of GM history. There will be no further "Big" changes in the system we have now. They will offer us some techno solutions to individual problems but the big fix is not going to happen. I have been a US auto owner too long to believe that they are going to waste money on present owners. All of their effort will go into the newer models and any big changes will come at that point. GM is selling a lot of cars right now so there is no impetus to right this wrong that they sold us. This is not sour grapes but only a reflection of the history of Detroit and its relationship with the American car buying public. This is not to denigrate the great dealers that we all know but only a big business policy by GM that when you get right down to it makes sense. We fell for their sales pitch and in the US car buyers market that is all you get. I know I felt like I was part of something new and great and was looking forward to the updates that we all knew were coming. They're not coming. We will get maintainence that we are owed and they will show you the newer model and how they "Fixed" the bugs we have but we are wiser now and will not be fooled again so easily. I only wish that my favorite car company understood that in this world of fake and ephemeral visions that we could believe in anything that they told us.

#27 ·
Had my 2013 SRX for two months, and one extended trip (3k miles on the trip, 4.5k miles total so far). It came with the updated version of CUE already installed. Have had four reboots, all while navigating. It's annoying when navigating, because the minute or so it takes to come back can mean a missed turn or interchange.

I gather the CUE team is not currently acknowledging this as a known issue, so I guess I'll flag it to my dealer when I schedule my first oil change and see what they do about it.

It does seem to me to be much more likely to be software than hardware, but if they want to replace the stack, that's up to them.

#28 ·
Hello georule,

I am sorry for any trouble you experience when your CUE system reboots. I understand your frustration when you need the navigation to work. If you would like our assistance while working with the dealer, please let us know. Contact us via private message. We are more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#30 ·
I think that is a great idea to have ALL responses from GM placed on this forum. I still don't get PM's to members who have problems with CUE on this forum. Some may have the same problem but due to life's time shortages simply don't make an issue of it. If we see an issue with someone else that is like one we might have then we will obtain the knowledge without having to make a separate case and inquiry about it. Also, it would be nice if someone like Codeman could regularly comment here on things that they are working on and fixes or improvements in the works.

#33 ·
I think I'll try it on my own first and see how that goes, Laura M. :) Thanks for the offer.

Not to criticize you personally, but it ought to be possible for folks like you to have visibility into what the team acknowledges is a known issue that's still WIP (work in progress) and communicate that fact back to us, the owners. Your answers simply haven't addressed whether that is the case with this issue.

I do value that you documented it, and presumably the team will see the report, so if it isn't being actively worked on by them, at least I've added another grain of sand on the scale that may result in them researching, discovering, acknowledging, and then fixing the issue. I've been a software developer for 30 years. I know and respect how that process works, particularly with issues that are not reliably replicated on demand by a specific set of actions (those are the easy ones). The random ones are a PITA for everybody, users and software engineers --believe me, I get it.

But why it is important for us as customers to know if the Team "knows about it and is working the issue" is if we know that is the case, we out here can relax a little about jumping up and down and waving our hands around trying to get them to focus on it. Maybe some customers don't care about what they see as "excuses" and just keep jumping and waving for all they are worth until the fix is developed and deployed. Others of us have some patience with the realities of software development and maintenance and would appreciate being able to "stand down" temporarily and let the Team work on it for awhile. . .but only if we know they *are* working on it. Otherwise we're left out here flailing, not knowing if it is unnecessary to do so.

#36 ·
Just got off the phone with Amanda at the CUE team. She took the issue, and is passing it on to the next level, and expects a response from the tech team tomorrow or Monday. She said she'll call me back no later than Monday, but may call tomorrow if she has something by then. She's also sending me an email with a case number and contact info.

Certainly it didn't sound like something she personally had run across yet, and her first pass at the issues database didn't kick up obvious matches. I floated the USB vs SD card (for music storage) theory that someone on the other thread put forward, and she didn't feel that was likely to be causing the issue. Hard to say with "level 1" support types tho just how much in-depth expertise/experience they have. Which is not to criticize or speculate, just my own experience.

She was pleasant and helpful, and we'll see where this goes.

I asked if we should be expecting a new software drop soon, and it was her opinion there was not a new one imminent, that they prefer to bundle a bunch of stuff together at once rather than doing smaller code drops. That's understandable, as it is obviously a major effort to get everyone upgraded when it has to be done thru the dealers. At any rate, don't hold your breath for a new software version relatively soon. She did mention something about they can do specific fixes, but it wasn't clear to me how those get distributed (individual vehicles? Dunno).

#38 ·
Amanda from the Infotainment team called back today. She reports that the tech team got back to her and there are no open bulletins or reports on the random reboot issue. She wants me to let her know when I schedule a service at my dealer so she can get a report from them on what, if anything, they find.

The hope is the system stored some kind of error code/log when it did the reboots. If it did, they'll have something to work with. If it didn't. . . . it's very hard to chase down errors that cannot be reliably replicated with a specific set of actions and also store no error information when they do happen randomly. Which is true, if unsatisfying for all involved.

I'm about due for my first oil change, so I'll probably be going in to the dealer in the next few weeks. I will ask them to look at CUE as well for my random reboot problem at that time, and inform them that the Infotainment team is looking forward to hearing about what they find.

#41 ·
Hello georule,

Thanks for keeping us updated! I am glad to hear that Amanda is being thorough and following up with you in regards to this concern. Please keep us updated as well when you visit the dealership for this concern and your oil change. Laura and I will be on the lookout for your future posts. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

With only 500 miles on the car and CUE update installed, I experienced my first CUE shutdown/reboot while freeway driving from San Diego to Palm Springs. I was about 40 minutes into the drive with Pandora playing, Galaxy S3 paired and route guidance active. Without notice the system shutdown and a couple of minutes later resumed guidance but would not update "miles to destination". With all the posts regarding this issue here and elsewhere, it is disconcerting Cadillac will not acknowledge the issue and state they are working on it. Statistically, given the randomness of this occurrence, all CUE systems likely have the problem whether they experience it or not.
Hello bpadula,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced your CUE shutdown and reboot while driving on the freeway recently. If you would like to make an appointment to have your service department look into the issue to see if there is anything they would be able to find, I would be happy to assist you and document those concerns. Please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as “ATTN GREG” so it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#39 ·
With only 500 miles on the car and CUE update installed, I experienced my first CUE shutdown/reboot while freeway driving from San Diego to Palm Springs. I was about 40 minutes into the drive with Pandora playing, Galaxy S3 paired and route guidance active. Without notice the system shutdown and a couple of minutes later resumed guidance but would not update "miles to destination". With all the posts regarding this issue here and elsewhere, it is disconcerting Cadillac will not acknowledge the issue and state they are working on it. Statistically, given the randomness of this occurrence, all CUE systems likely have the problem whether they experience it or not.

#40 ·
Call the number upstream and lodge a report. I know it takes a little time and effort, but I honestly believe they care, and it is up to us to provide them with enough data points to know it is happening regularly to a variety of owners and get on the trail of what is causing it.

#42 ·
There is no debug information stored, nor is there any debug mode that CUE can be placed in. Not sure how GM would ever intend on resolving any user issues....

----------

There is a correlation between Pandora and a paired device. I thought it might be limited to a particular iPhone model, but it appears that it effects Android as well.

#43 ·
So, I took the 2013 SRX Luxury in for service this morning. The usual oil change, plus adding the foglight kit, plus looking at my CUE reboot problem.

About 4 pm I got a call. . . come on in and we'll give you a loaner. A very pleasant 2013 XTS, and not the base model either. Many of the same controls and features (aaaah, heated steering wheel!) as my SRX. So no complaints there, at least until it snows (not supposed to snow this week).

Foglamp kit went on with no problem. Then I gather they tried to reload the CUE software in hopes that might address the reboot problem. And now CUE is dead, dead, dead. As we say in the computer world, "it's bricked" (because that's the only thing it can be used for). They can't get it to show any screen of any kind, even after being on the service hotline to GM for an hour.

So we'll see if they can re-animate it tomorrow, or if the next step is replacing the hardware entirely. Only speculation at this point if this has something to do with the original reboot problem, but it might --could be the hardware (CPU or power supply, most likely) was faulty and grinding away at a software reload pushed it over the edge to total failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.