CUE Shutdown/Reboot - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE Shutdown/Reboot in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by georule Service called back this morning --Cadillac has instructed them to pull the plug on the original ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: CUE Shutdown/Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Service called back this morning --Cadillac has instructed them to pull the plug on the original unit and install a new one, which will take another day to get. So I get another two days with the XTS (which is no hardship). This should make for an interesting test, to see if I have any more random reboots with the new unit.
    Hello georule,

I appreciate you taking the time to update the thread. I apologize for the inconvenience you've been dealing with while having the dealer resolve your CUE system. Gregory and I will continue to look for additional updates. Don't hesitate to contact us if you would like to further discuss anything.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Amanda from the Infotainment Team just called. She spoke with the dealer service people as well. She's of the opinion that probably my hardware was faulty, and it's just as well that the unit failed while the dealer was stressing it with an update, as that resulted in its early replacement. Better now than months of chasing intermittent problems that can't be replicated on demand by the service folks.

She also said that the team would get my original unit back from the dealer and look it over for why it failed.

So, hopefully this will be the end of it. . . . (we'll see!). We're planning another long driving trip (2,000+ miles) at the end of December, which will serve as a good test of whether the new unit exhibits the same behavior.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

I can tell you that the reboot issue is NOT defective hardware. I have had my head end unit replaced. This is a software bug.

Amanda from the Infotainment Team just called. She spoke with the dealer service people as well. She's of the opinion that probably my hardware was faulty, and it's just as well that the unit failed while the dealer was stressing it with an update, as that resulted in its early replacement. Better now than months of chasing intermittent problems that can't be replicated on demand by the service folks.

She also said that the team would get my original unit back from the dealer and look it over for why it failed.

So, hopefully this will be the end of it. . . . (we'll see!). We're planning another long driving trip (2,000+ miles) at the end of December, which will serve as a good test of whether the new unit exhibits the same behavior.
    Hello georule,

That’s great to hear that Amanda has been very active in your case. I am also glad that our team will be doing some additional research on your original unit. Thank you for keeping us all updated and please let us know how your trip in the end of December goes! We will be on the lookout for your future updates!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by pkadanec View Post
    I can tell you that the reboot issue is NOT defective hardware. I have had my head end unit replaced. This is a software bug.
    It could be caused by both, of course. A random reboot is a sign of a catastrophic failure somewhere in the system --but the "where" isn't necessarily the same in all cases. I had five in less than three months.

In my mind, entirely speculative but based on 30 years of working with computers, I keep coming back to heat buildup caused by intense multi-tasking over time. Like running the navigation and .mp3/.mp4/whatever decoding simultaneously for an extended period of time. There is variation in individual cpus and individual memory modules as to tolerance to heat --computer overclockers can go on about the subject at length. This would explain why it happens to some units and not others, and could lead eventually to total system failure (which my unit has now failed). It might also indicate a need to beef-up heatsinks or fans or radiators or whatever inside the unit.

For instance, I used Nero to rip my CDs and let it do what it wanted --and it made .mp4 instead of .mp3. .mp4 is more cpu intensive to decode than .mp3. Did that play a role in my particular case? If it was heat-related, then maybe.

But that's a seat of the pants analysis, and could be completely wrong, or only apply to a minority of cases. A memory leak/overflow (i.e. software) would also have cumulative build-up during an extended multi-tasking session resulting in catastrophic failure (random reboot), and would also fit the available facts (tho generally wouldn't result in eventual total system failure as happened to me).
    off1c3r likes this.

Got my SRX back today (after a week and a new CUE unit).

Tech notes say "Found DTC's u0029 and u0184 set in multiple modules"

These are error codes that indicate in the first case "Vehicle Communication Bus A Performance" and in the second case "Lost Communication With Radio". I don't know that those are terribly helpful in providing them hints on where to look for the ultimate cause, but at least they would show it isn't all in the customer's head. . .

So today was my first extended drive using navigation (while simultaneously playing music from a USB stick) with the new CUE unit that my local dealer installed last week.

We were going to a restaurant about 40 mins away. We were within a few miles of it, when I turned a little too quick at a junction of several roads, and the nav should have recalculated the route. First it almost-not-quite-froze. Slowed way down (like I drove 1/4 mile on the new street and the nav updated from turn in 150 ft to turn in 120 ft). . . and then bang. . . screen went black, unit rebooted, blew away the USB music index entirely (it started playing one song from the lowest alphabetic named artist over and over again). It did resume the navigation automatically at least without having to re-enter the destination address once it completed rebooting.

So, it wasn't the original unit having a one-off problem as far as my experience indicates.

I'll send an email to Amanda at the Infotainment Team with this newest experience (#6 reboot in three months, #1 on this CUE unit). All happened while navigation and music decoding was happening simultaneously. . . and I *think* all happened when the nav was actually trying to "do something" like give verbal directions and/or recalculate the route.

Heard back from Amanda at the Infotainment Team. They wanted to know if I was open to trying a different device that was 16GB or smaller (currently using a 32GB USB) and see if any difference was made. I ordered a 16GB SDHC Class 10 from Transcend to give that a try, since my music collection is about 9GB. They were more concerned about the size of the storage than interface type (USB vs SD). Switching USB to SD opens up another recharging option for me, so I thought I'd go that route.

My impression is this is speculative and hunting around for data points on the team's part, rather than a definitive "do this and it'll work" kind of thing. But they likely have some reason to think it might make a difference.

A good 16GB SDHC card only cost me $12.99 on Amazon, and is still big enough for my music collection (I understand that would not be true for everyone reading this), so I'm willing to play guinea pig on this one and see what happens.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

So the GM team can't buy a 16 GB card and try it themselves? Huh? They never tried this before talking to you?

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Heard back from Amanda at the Infotainment Team. They wanted to know if I was open to trying a different device that was 16GB or smaller (currently using a 32GB USB) and see if any difference was made. I ordered a 16GB SDHC Class 10 from Transcend to give that a try, since my music collection is about 9GB. They were more concerned about the size of the storage than interface type (USB vs SD). Switching USB to SD opens up another recharging option for me, so I thought I'd go that route.

My impression is this is speculative and hunting around for data points on the team's part, rather than a definitive "do this and it'll work" kind of thing. But they likely have some reason to think it might make a difference.

A good 16GB SDHC card only cost me $12.99 on Amazon, and is still big enough for my music collection (I understand that would not be true for everyone reading this), so I'm willing to play guinea pig on this one and see what happens.
    I mentioned this on another thread, but using certain USB sticks in my 2011 CTS would at random cause the nav screen to freeze, all directions to stop, music to stop, and radio controls to stop working. Unless you turned off the car, there was no way to reboot the system. I had to wait it out until the head unit restarted and then it worked again. Problems went away after changing USB sticks. The USB stick in question was only 4GB. I tried two of the same model, both fresh formats in FAT32 and NTFS and I still had the issue until I changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by off1c3r View Post
    I mentioned this on another thread, but using certain USB sticks in my 2011 CTS would at random cause the nav screen to freeze, all directions to stop, music to stop, and radio controls to stop working. Unless you turned off the car, there was no way to reboot the system. I had to wait it out until the head unit restarted and then it worked again. Problems went away after changing USB sticks. The USB stick in question was only 4GB. I tried two of the same model, both fresh formats in FAT32 and NTFS and I still had the issue until I changed it.
    Well, we'll see!

The downside to SD is the interface itself is slower for folks with thousands of songs that need indexing. I'm middlin' at about 3,300 songs. Class 10 SDHC is 10 MB/s, but read speeds on better USB 2.0 memory sticks are 2+ that fast. But then the interface speed may not be the limiter in indexing speed anyway.

Towards the end of next month I'll be taking a 2,000 mile driving trip with the nav+digital music going the whole way, so it'll be a good test. The last time I did that (tho it was over 3k miles that time), two weeks after I bought the car, it rebooted three times on the trip.

Janeiowa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2014. AWD

I have my SRX back after a week at the dealership. The new CUE didn't arrive when they'd expected it, so it was just yesterday that they called and said it was ready. So, the loaner Chevy went back and I got my car. I've not driven it a lot since yesterday, but so far, so good.

I hope Cadillac has found whatever the problem is and resolved the issue of my CUE just going black at random.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeiowa View Post
    I have my SRX back after a week at the dealership. The new CUE didn't arrive when they'd expected it, so it was just yesterday that they called and said it was ready. So, the loaner Chevy went back and I got my car. I've not driven it a lot since yesterday, but so far, so good.

I hope Cadillac has found whatever the problem is and resolved the issue of my CUE just going black at random.
    Hello Janeiowa,

I apologize that the CUE system didn’t arrive when they expected it would. I am glad to hear that they replaced your CUE system to address this concern. Have you experienced the concern further since you have had your vehicle back?

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Janeiowa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2014. AWD

Gregory...I haven't driven it much...just around town and not at night, so I don't know if the top of the CUE changes to night mode and dims as I understand it's supposed to.

Is it true, as I was told by a fellow 2014 SRX owner here in this little town, that GM/ Cadillac is doing a total redo/update/fix of the CUE software nationwide before Christmas? Has anyone else here heard this info?

Quote Originally Posted by Janeiowa View Post
    Gregory...I haven't driven it much...just around town and not at night, so I don't know if the top of the CUE changes to night mode and dims as I understand it's supposed to.

Is it true, as I was told by a fellow 2014 SRX owner here in this little town, that GM/ Cadillac is doing a total redo/update/fix of the CUE software nationwide before Christmas? Has anyone else here heard this info?
    Hello Janeiowa,

Please let me know if you do experience the concern again and keep us updated when you do drive it around at night. I have reached out to an internal resource of mine regarding a CUE update, but I haven’t gotten a response back as of yet. We are usually not made aware of updates or changes until the day they are rolled out.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.