Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CUE Shutdown/Reboot

37K views 101 replies 18 participants last post by  jrcollins50 
#1 ·
I have had the most curious event happen to me now, 3 times post the CUE update. All three occur after about 30 min of continuous driving on the interstate. There is nothing rough about the road (compared to other roads that I drive on) and the only constant is that i have Pandora on and cabled to an iPhone 5. CUE will just "reboot". The entire screen goes dark, including the portion of the DIC that is CUE related (I have the cluster configured for the performance view). The phone will disconnect, bluetooth will disconnect and the system will reboot. This lasts for about 30 seconds or so. Then everything will come back up just as it was, no loss of Nav (during one of the reboots i was using navigation), same place in the song i was at, bluetooth reconnects, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#85 · (Edited)
Talked to the tech this morning. No joy. Said he ran it around town on Sat and Sunday with different routes running in the nav and it hooked up to his diagnostic computer and it never blinked and the diagnostic computer didn't show anything unusual.

Sooooo. .. . back to square one (tho with latest/greatest CUE version installed at least), and I'm going to pick it up this afternoon. He was sympathetic about the difficulty of trying to catch this kind of computer error while happening (rather than treating me like a suspicious whack-job who is making up non-existent problems for some weird reason).

At least he was very complimentary about the handling of the car in the snow (about 4") we had Saturday morning. He said he has a FWD car with snow tires and it handles pretty well in the snow, but my AWD SRX with snow tires was "Fantastic!" --and he's right. :)

G
#91 ·
My CUE is completely toast. Just got my SRX in March, and I can't even listen to the radio. While the HVAC controls still work (for now) if I can guess the right spot to touch, the buttons don't light up. Nor do the buttons on the steering wheel. This is beyond ridiculous for such an expensive and "premium" vehicle. Not to mention this is a known and prevalent issue. Cadillac has know about this issue forever. Why wasn't my vehicle updated before it was sold? Why isn't the software update it needs available remotely, given that we can send signals to the vehicle asking if it needs the update?

And what exactly can a CUE Infotainment Expert offer, if not troubleshooting assistance? I called the number and got nothing but idiotic questions. I explained I'd been experiencing this issue for over a month. She actually asked if I still experienced the same issue after restarting the vehicle. NO, I'VE LEFT IT RUNNING FOR THE ENTIRE PAST MONTH!!! Are you serious?? How is that helpful? After that, she badgered me relentlessly about when I planned on taking it in for service, because this mysterious software update can only be done at a dealership. If I had time to take my car in for service constantly, not only would I have already done so, but I would have just purchased some crappy used car that I didn't care was in the shop all the time. Seriously Cadillac, live up to the name!! Furthermore, I do NOT want to receive some placating canned response from "Customer Care" trying to empathize that they understand how frustrating this issue is. If you truly understand, drive to my work, leave me a car that actually works to drive while mine is in the shop, then return it to me when it's in the condition it SHOULD have been in when I originally purchased it.

#94 ·
Recently I had a long road trip and I experienced the reboot 3 times during the trip. All 3 times was during the Nav and listening to SD music files. My CUE is still at March 2013 version and I know there is a fix for "Radio Favorites Disappear, HD Audio Concerns - (Dec 10, 2013). (PI1130 TSB number)" I plan to schedule a trip to get this updated. Does anyone know this update fixes the reboot issue?

#96 ·
Hi sclin,

I am sorry that you experienced this reboot multiple times during your road trip. If you are considering heading to your dealership to have this concern addressed, I would be happy to reach out to the dealership and help in scheduling an appointment. Please PM me with your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership, and contact information if you would be interested.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#95 ·
That sounds a lot like my issue, which was largely (not exclusively, but largely) experienced on long road trips with both nav and music running. They finally put a new HMI (head unit) in with the latest version of the software on it, and that fixed it. I would imagine they'd want to try the newest software by itself first for you since your current version is so old. I don't know how often you do long road trips --that's the problem with chasing random, low frequency bugs, it can take months to know if they've really been fixed or not.

#97 ·
Just went 1,500 miles over four days with the nav and music running the whole time, which is the first extended (more than, say, 200 miles at once) trip with this current CUE HMI in the vehicle. . . no reboots. Yay.

Now, I'm told I'm going to have to have this CUE unit replaced because it won't eject the CD (first time I actually tried the CD player!), so hopefully replacing the unit won't mess up the "cure" achieved by the current head unit as to not rebooting randomly anymore when nav is running long-term.

#98 ·
I have the 2013 Cadillac ATS and it is constantly freezing up. Sometimes the center screen, but usually the DIC in the dash. When it freezes up, none of the controls on the right side of the steering wheel work including the volume control. Also, the music starts skipping or cutting out, no matter what the source is. I can change the source on the center screen to CD, USB, XM, but it continues to skip. I have driven like this for over an hour and it never corrected. The only way to fix the issue is to shut the car off for 5 minutes. I have had this identical issue three times in one day. That is, each time I drove the car. However, I might not have the issue again for several days. I live about 70 miles from the nearest dealer. How can I know that I am not wasting my time taking it to a dealer if they are unable to reproduce the issue?

#100 ·
I like that. He can also email Infotainment@gmexpert.com and talk the issue over with them. If he can get them to acknowledge the issue, and tell them about his concern, they can work with the dealer proactively to make sure they replace the unit for him, which it surely sounds like it needs.

Of course, being able to attach a link to a video he's taken of the issue in his email will help convince the infotainment folks too, so I don't see it as either/or.

#102 ·
Just as I expected... I took the car in the dealership can't reproduce the issue so they want me to come pick it up. I opened a case with GM infotainment who booked my appointment and I sent an email to the dealership documenting the issue. Since they can't reproduce the issue in 1 day, they aren't going to fix it. This is crap! I don't even want the car anymore if I have to pull over on the side of the highway for 5 minutes to reboot the system. What can I do?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.