CUE Shutdown/Reboot - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE Shutdown/Reboot in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc Hello georule, I am sorry for any trouble you experience when your CUE system ...
    georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Re: CUE Shutdown/Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello georule,

I am sorry for any trouble you experience when your CUE system reboots. I understand your frustration when you need the navigation to work. If you would like our assistance while working with the dealer, please let us know. Contact us via private message. We are more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Would you recommend I give the dealer a shot first, or talk to you first?

I was mostly hoping to find out here if this is a known software issue the CUE team is working on. I can't say I've gotten a definitive answer on that point. Yes, it could be individual hardware in individual vehicles (bad memory, faulty cpu, overheating, something like that), but as a longtime computer geek I would much more suspect a software issue (memory leak overflowing and corrupting the OS or something of that nature --sort of the auto equivalent of the infamous Microsoft Blue Screen of Death) --and thus something the CUE team needs to address and no amount of switching out of individual stacks in individual cars will cure it long-term.

But I don't know for sure which it is, and I was hoping your contacts would.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Would you recommend I give the dealer a shot first, or talk to you first?

I was mostly hoping to find out here if this is a known software issue the CUE team is working on. I can't say I've gotten a definitive answer on that point. Yes, it could be individual hardware in individual vehicles (bad memory, faulty cpu, overheating, something like that), but as a longtime computer geek I would much more suspect a software issue (memory leak overflowing and corrupting the OS or something of that nature --sort of the auto equivalent of the infamous Microsoft Blue Screen of Death) --and thus something the CUE team needs to address and no amount of switching out of individual stacks in individual cars will cure it long-term.

But I don't know for sure which it is, and I was hoping your contacts would.
    Hello georule,

I understand your concern for resolving this issue. I documented your feedback and current concerns with your CUE system. We rely on our dealerships as our eyes and ears in the field, so I recommend bringing your vehicle in for a diagnosis at your earliest convenience. Your dealer has a working relation with GM, in which they can reach out to additional resources for help if needed. If you would like me to set up a dealer appointment for you, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message and am more than happy to help!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    georule likes this.

I think I'll try it on my own first and see how that goes, Laura M. Thanks for the offer.

Not to criticize you personally, but it ought to be possible for folks like you to have visibility into what the team acknowledges is a known issue that's still WIP (work in progress) and communicate that fact back to us, the owners. Your answers simply haven't addressed whether that is the case with this issue.

I do value that you documented it, and presumably the team will see the report, so if it isn't being actively worked on by them, at least I've added another grain of sand on the scale that may result in them researching, discovering, acknowledging, and then fixing the issue. I've been a software developer for 30 years. I know and respect how that process works, particularly with issues that are not reliably replicated on demand by a specific set of actions (those are the easy ones). The random ones are a PITA for everybody, users and software engineers --believe me, I get it.

But why it is important for us as customers to know if the Team "knows about it and is working the issue" is if we know that is the case, we out here can relax a little about jumping up and down and waving our hands around trying to get them to focus on it. Maybe some customers don't care about what they see as "excuses" and just keep jumping and waving for all they are worth until the fix is developed and deployed. Others of us have some patience with the realities of software development and maintenance and would appreciate being able to "stand down" temporarily and let the Team work on it for awhile. . .but only if we know they *are* working on it. Otherwise we're left out here flailing, not knowing if it is unnecessary to do so.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

I think I'll try it on my own first and see how that goes, Laura M. Thanks for the offer.

Not to criticize you personally, but it ought to be possible for folks like you to have visibility into what the team acknowledges is a known issue that's still WIP (work in progress) and communicate that fact back to us, the owners. Your answers simply haven't addressed whether that is the case with this issue.

I do value that you documented it, and presumably the team will see the report, so if it isn't being actively worked on by them, at least I've added another grain of sand on the scale that may result in them researching, discovering, acknowledging, and then fixing the issue. I've been a software developer for 30 years. I know and respect how that process works, particularly with issues that are not reliably replicated on demand by a specific set of actions (those are the easy ones). The random ones are a PITA for everybody, users and software engineers --believe me, I get it.

But why it is important for us as customers to know if the Team "knows about it and is working the issue" is if we know that is the case, we out here can relax a little about jumping up and down and waving our hands around trying to get them to focus on it. Maybe some customers don't care about what they see as "excuses" and just keep jumping and waving for all they are worth until the fix is developed and deployed. Others of us have some patience with the realities of software development and maintenance and would appreciate being able to "stand down" temporarily and let the Team work on it for awhile. . .but only if we know they *are* working on it. Otherwise we're left out here flailing, not knowing if it is unnecessary to do so.
    You are more than welcome, georule. I am here to assist! I appreciate your patience and understanding of how the team works. If you would like to reach out to another source, the CUE Customer Support Group, their phone number is 855-428-3669.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    You are more than welcome, georule. I am here to assist! I appreciate your patience and understanding of how the team works. If you would like to reach out to another source, the CUE Customer Support Group, their phone number is 855-428-3669.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thank you. I may give that a try.

Just got off the phone with Amanda at the CUE team. She took the issue, and is passing it on to the next level, and expects a response from the tech team tomorrow or Monday. She said she'll call me back no later than Monday, but may call tomorrow if she has something by then. She's also sending me an email with a case number and contact info.

Certainly it didn't sound like something she personally had run across yet, and her first pass at the issues database didn't kick up obvious matches. I floated the USB vs SD card (for music storage) theory that someone on the other thread put forward, and she didn't feel that was likely to be causing the issue. Hard to say with "level 1" support types tho just how much in-depth expertise/experience they have. Which is not to criticize or speculate, just my own experience.

She was pleasant and helpful, and we'll see where this goes.

I asked if we should be expecting a new software drop soon, and it was her opinion there was not a new one imminent, that they prefer to bundle a bunch of stuff together at once rather than doing smaller code drops. That's understandable, as it is obviously a major effort to get everyone upgraded when it has to be done thru the dealers. At any rate, don't hold your breath for a new software version relatively soon. She did mention something about they can do specific fixes, but it wasn't clear to me how those get distributed (individual vehicles? Dunno).

Thank you. I may give that a try.
    Hello georule,

You are welcome. I see you already contacted the CUE team in regards to your concern. I will continue to be on the lookout for any updates you post.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Amanda from the Infotainment team called back today. She reports that the tech team got back to her and there are no open bulletins or reports on the random reboot issue. She wants me to let her know when I schedule a service at my dealer so she can get a report from them on what, if anything, they find.

The hope is the system stored some kind of error code/log when it did the reboots. If it did, they'll have something to work with. If it didn't. . . . it's very hard to chase down errors that cannot be reliably replicated with a specific set of actions and also store no error information when they do happen randomly. Which is true, if unsatisfying for all involved.

I'm about due for my first oil change, so I'll probably be going in to the dealer in the next few weeks. I will ask them to look at CUE as well for my random reboot problem at that time, and inform them that the Infotainment team is looking forward to hearing about what they find.

bpadula is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Lux w/CUE

With only 500 miles on the car and CUE update installed, I experienced my first CUE shutdown/reboot while freeway driving from San Diego to Palm Springs. I was about 40 minutes into the drive with Pandora playing, Galaxy S3 paired and route guidance active. Without notice the system shutdown and a couple of minutes later resumed guidance but would not update "miles to destination". With all the posts regarding this issue here and elsewhere, it is disconcerting Cadillac will not acknowledge the issue and state they are working on it. Statistically, given the randomness of this occurrence, all CUE systems likely have the problem whether they experience it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bpadula View Post
    With only 500 miles on the car and CUE update installed, I experienced my first CUE shutdown/reboot while freeway driving from San Diego to Palm Springs. I was about 40 minutes into the drive with Pandora playing, Galaxy S3 paired and route guidance active. Without notice the system shutdown and a couple of minutes later resumed guidance but would not update "miles to destination". With all the posts regarding this issue here and elsewhere, it is disconcerting Cadillac will not acknowledge the issue and state they are working on it. Statistically, given the randomness of this occurrence, all CUE systems likely have the problem whether they experience it or not.
    Call the number upstream and lodge a report. I know it takes a little time and effort, but I honestly believe they care, and it is up to us to provide them with enough data points to know it is happening regularly to a variety of owners and get on the trail of what is causing it.

Amanda from the Infotainment team called back today. She reports that the tech team got back to her and there are no open bulletins or reports on the random reboot issue. She wants me to let her know when I schedule a service at my dealer so she can get a report from them on what, if anything, they find.

The hope is the system stored some kind of error code/log when it did the reboots. If it did, they'll have something to work with. If it didn't. . . . it's very hard to chase down errors that cannot be reliably replicated with a specific set of actions and also store no error information when they do happen randomly. Which is true, if unsatisfying for all involved.

I'm about due for my first oil change, so I'll probably be going in to the dealer in the next few weeks. I will ask them to look at CUE as well for my random reboot problem at that time, and inform them that the Infotainment team is looking forward to hearing about what they find.
    Hello georule,

Thanks for keeping us updated! I am glad to hear that Amanda is being thorough and following up with you in regards to this concern. Please keep us updated as well when you visit the dealership for this concern and your oil change. Laura and I will be on the lookout for your future posts. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by bpadula View Post
    Hello bpadula,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced your CUE shutdown and reboot while driving on the freeway recently. If you would like to make an appointment to have your service department look into the issue to see if there is anything they would be able to find, I would be happy to assist you and document those concerns. Please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as “ATTN GREG” so it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

There is no debug information stored, nor is there any debug mode that CUE can be placed in. Not sure how GM would ever intend on resolving any user issues....

----------

There is a correlation between Pandora and a paired device. I thought it might be limited to a particular iPhone model, but it appears that it effects Android as well.

So, I took the 2013 SRX Luxury in for service this morning. The usual oil change, plus adding the foglight kit, plus looking at my CUE reboot problem.

About 4 pm I got a call. . . come on in and we'll give you a loaner. A very pleasant 2013 XTS, and not the base model either. Many of the same controls and features (aaaah, heated steering wheel!) as my SRX. So no complaints there, at least until it snows (not supposed to snow this week).

Foglamp kit went on with no problem. Then I gather they tried to reload the CUE software in hopes that might address the reboot problem. And now CUE is dead, dead, dead. As we say in the computer world, "it's bricked" (because that's the only thing it can be used for). They can't get it to show any screen of any kind, even after being on the service hotline to GM for an hour.

So we'll see if they can re-animate it tomorrow, or if the next step is replacing the hardware entirely. Only speculation at this point if this has something to do with the original reboot problem, but it might --could be the hardware (CPU or power supply, most likely) was faulty and grinding away at a software reload pushed it over the edge to total failure.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

If you look at the original post in this thread that I started you will see that is my suspicion as well. Whenecer my system reboots the common factor is that the Pandora app is active. It is distressing that the QUE team had no previous reports of this since I brought this to the dealers attention on several visits. They assured my that they had opened an incident with GM.

Service called back this morning --Cadillac has instructed them to pull the plug on the original unit and install a new one, which will take another day to get. So I get another two days with the XTS (which is no hardship). This should make for an interesting test, to see if I have any more random reboots with the new unit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.