Audio - playlists and artwork issues - feedback - solutions and suggestions for CUE
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 3 Post By CDN XTS
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Audio - playlists and artwork issues - feedback - solutions and suggestions for CUE in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; There have been numerous posts regarding Audio, specifically relating to issues with Playlists and Artwork , including quite a few ...
    CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Audio - playlists and artwork issues - feedback - solutions and suggestions for CUE

There have been numerous posts regarding Audio, specifically relating to issues with Playlists and Artwork, including quite a few I posted. I have since worked further on this issue and here is my consolidated update from my experience. Note: While the CUE manual has information regarding playlist formats and music formats, there is no real information as to additional requirements by CUE, they reason many users have run into various problems. I hope my following rather detailed and thus lengthy outline will help both users and the CUE engineers. I understand there are changes planned to the CUE system, at least to the indexing aspect which re-starts with each start of the car engine, but hopefully also as to playlists and artwork.
    My environment:
    1) Windows 7 – 64 bit with latest updates. 2) Music software used:
    a) iTunes - version 11,9,2,26 b) Nero Platinum (Nero Burning Rom) – version 12.5.6000 c) Windows Media Player – version 12.0.7601.17514 and d) Windows Media Centre – version 6.1.7601.17514 3) Hex Editor (a free Download) HxD 1.7.7.0 4) My music library is on my Data drive under D:\Music. 5) I have used both, SD card and USB sticks as well as my iPad on CUE

PLAYLISTS:
    I really only worked with M3U playlists. I tried once a WPL playlist which is the default used by Windows Media Player, although that program can also create M3U playlists. It didn’t work and perhaps those WPL playlist also had after editing the same problem as outlined below for M3U playlists.
    Note: I only ripped CD’s to MP3 files trying all but the Windows Media Centre software (which doesn’t have a rip function.) Nero was the fastest and iTunes the slowest. They all play in CUE. While at the ripping stage NERO and Windows Media Player can be set to create a playlist, it will be a playlist for only that particular CD, and NERO places it in the folder where it places the ripped music files and as such it doesn’t use (in my case) "D:\Music" in its path name. Thus I ended up using iTunes to create and then export my playlists as there I was able to select any of my music. (over 4000). Others on this forum have created playlists with other software.
    All 3 software packages create M3U playlists including Extended M3U directives (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U ) looking like: (a)
    #EXTINF:212,Standchen - Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
    D:\Music\Various Artists\On Wings of Song\05 Standchen.mp3
    ..........(D:\Music - needs to be removed for CUE to handle the playlist) However, CUE can work with just (b)
    \Various Artists\On Wings of Song\05 Standchen.mp3
    In a previous post I thought CUE could not handle the "Extended M3U directives" but I was wrong. As CUE is presently set up, it obviously can not work if the computer related path aspect (in my case D:\Music) is included in the path,
    The problem though is, that the playlist as created by iTunes needs to be edited using search and replace in Notepad or Word, to correct the path, i.e. in my case remove the D:\Music. This is very easy and fast, but saving it then again Notepad or Word adds the 3 HEX characters " EF BB BF " at the front of the file, which are not visible in either Notepad or Word. They need to be removed and I used the HxD HEX editor to do so. Playlists will not work in CUE if those 3 characters precede the playlists. Now, if you wish to remove also the Extended M3U directives, and at the same time sort your playlist, you can do so in Word, and all those lines starting with "#" will then end up in one place and you can delete those lines in bulk. In that case you end up with a playlist looking like the sample (b). But don’t forget the removal of those 3 HEX charactors after saving your corrected playlist as a M3U file.
    Suggesting to the CUE programming team:
    A) CUE to be changed to be able to use the playlist file directly from the iTunes library which is in a different format. CUE does use such info and can use that type of playlist (not sure if in the same format as on the PC) when I attach my iPAD (which is synced to iTunes) via USB to CUE. Of course the user community would need to be told exactly which iTunes file or files would need to be on the SD card or USB stick.
    B) Alternatively, user to be able to input the "computer portion of the path - in my case D:\Music" and CUE be programmed to then ignore this portion of th path, in cases where such is in the playlist. That way a user can use playlists as exported by iTunes, but others created with other software without this portion of the path will work too.
    ARTWORK
    While iTunes has an Artwork cache and Windows Media Player creates respective JPG files in the various folders in the Music Library, NERO can be instructed to embed artwork at the ripping stage directly into the MP3 file. Alas none presently work in CUE. They all work in all of my 4 Audio softwares. I assumed MP3 files with artwork created via NERO would show the artwork in CUE; they do NOT and I relate that to some missing information in those rather skimpy ID3 tags (as compared to ID3 tags created via iTunes or Windows Media Player). I tried to use iTunes to first delete the Artwork and then embed it fresh. No joy either. The same holds true if ripping via NERO without artwork and then embedding artwork via iTunes. Ripping files via those other two programmes and then embedding artwork via iTunes works. Of course there are other softwares on the market to embed artwork into MP3 files, but I doubt they would work for a MP3 file created via NERO.
    Suggesting to the CUE programming team:
    Amend CUE to be able to either use the iTunes Artwork cache and/or be able to use those jpg files as created via Windows Media Player. Again appropriate instructions to users would be needed. I’m not sure what iTunes does when the artwork is embedded, i.e. does it use the embedded info or the cache. It simply works. Sorry, about the rather poor formatting but ever since I updated to IE 10 for Windows 7 most formatting tools on this forum no longer work for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Audio - playlists and artwork issues - feedback - solutions and suggestions for C

My car is still a few days away but thanks!

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Re: Audio - playlists and artwork issues - feedback - solutions and suggestions for C

Update to my April 7th, post after further testing.
    PLAYLISTS: As recommended by others, I tried DoubleTwist to transfer my iTunes library including playlists to USB/SD. It's easy (although rather slow) and it works. Playlists do not have the forward slash (/) but start out with Music, as DoubleTwist creates a MUSIC folder and places everything, including the playlists in this folder. However, it creates a lot, repeat A LOT, of added folders. It re-arranges the iTunes library, where Album name may be in "first" order into Artist (first) order, e.g. say the "XYZ" album has 24 songs by different artists, thus one folder, DoubleTwist now creates 24 Folders by Artists each with a subfolder of "XYZ", thus there are now 48 folders instead of one. Probably the biggest reason for its slowness. Now if the CUE indexing is actually Artist/Album/Song and not Album/Song that may actually be of benefit to CUE. It would be nice to know that. I didn't speed test the CUE indexing between my own method of transferring data and playlists v/s such created by DoubleTwist, which is not easy to do safely. The by DoubleTwist created playlist work under CUE. Making changes to the iTunes library, seems to result in an appropriate update to the data on the USB/SD drive but some of the screen info by DoubleTwist while doing this didn't make sense. Also importing the by DoubleTwist created playlists into Excel for an easy count of number of songs agreed with the numbers shown in iTunes for the respective playlists, but total number of songs in iTunes exceeded total number of songs reported by DoubleTwist by 9 songs in my case. One issue I didn't like, DoubleTwist among other info, downloads your total Address Book. Why???. So do read all the rules before installing it, which, unfortunately, I didn't. Too late now.
    ARTWORK: The problem I run into with Nero 12 and some other MP3 files created by someone else with software unknown to me where inserted artwork showed up in everyone of my software but not in CUE, yet CUE plays the song and shows all the other info from the ID3 tag, thus indicating just some incompatibility with such an ID3 tag by CUE only. Changing the ID3 tag by using iTunes to convert the file to an MP3 file, (even though the source file is already an MP3 file), changed the ID3 tag to one created by iTunes. Inserting then artwork works in CUE, so it is just a certain type of ID3 tag with which CUE has a problem. BTW, using iTunes to just change the ID3 tag to a different version, using all available versions from 1.0 to 2.4 did not correct the artwork issue. Based on my investigation iTunes normally creates a version 2.2 ID3 tag and Windows Media Player as well as Nero 12 create version 2.3, but Nero's version seem to be somewhat "skimpier" as to some other information than the other two. e.g. no info as to which software created the ID3 tag. Given the Nero version does work "fully" in all those other software, there should be no reason that a software update by CUE should not correct this issue.

Grayzweb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX - Premium

Thanks for the great information CDN ! I just bought an SRX and have been trying to figure out how to use all the features. Your write up was very helpful. I exported my playlist from iTunes as .m3u and edited them to delete the C:\ directories. My playlists work now, after several hours of trial and error.

One thing I found out was that the .m3u file has to be in the same folder as the music or CUE wouldn't recognize them. I made a couple of different folders inside the main "Music" folder, for each playlist and put the playlist file .m3u in the corresponding folder. I know I could of just put all music in 1 folder and the playlist .m3u's in there too, but I wanted more organization for myself.

Now I am trying to get video files to be recognized and no luck so far. I've tried .mov and .mp4 files in different folders and in no folder (root). I'll keep experimenting...

*Edit - I also used mp3tag software to embed album art in to each .mp3 file and all my artwork displays

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

I used Nero to rip all my CDs, and let it do what it wanted to do. Didn't realize until later it had made .mp4 files (with the artwork embedded). CUE doesn't have any problem playing them (and displaying the artwork on the screen).

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Grayz, let me know how it goes for the videos... I've tried .avi and all it did was pause for a few seconds, then jump to a random mp3 song. It's conceivable that videos won't play unless the car is parked, out of gear, and with someone in the passenger seat...

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XTS View Post
    ARTWORK: The problem I run into with Nero 12 and some other MP3 files created by someone else with software unknown to me where inserted artwork showed up in everyone of my software but not in CUE, yet CUE plays the song and shows all the other info from the ID3 tag, thus indicating just some incompatibility with such an ID3 tag by CUE only. Changing the ID3 tag by using iTunes to convert the file to an MP3 file, (even though the source file is already an MP3 file), changed the ID3 tag to one created by iTunes. Inserting then artwork works in CUE, so it is just a certain type of ID3 tag with which CUE has a problem. BTW, using iTunes to just change the ID3 tag to a different version, using all available versions from 1.0 to 2.4 did not correct the artwork issue. Based on my investigation iTunes normally creates a version 2.2 ID3 tag and Windows Media Player as well as Nero 12 create version 2.3, but Nero's version seem to be somewhat "skimpier" as to some other information than the other two. e.g. no info as to which software created the ID3 tag. Given the Nero version does work "fully" in all those other software, there should be no reason that a software update by CUE should not correct this issue.
    CDN,

Am I understanding it correctly that you had to go through and "convert" all your music to mp3s (even if they were already mp3s) in order for the artwork to be seen via CUE? I can see my artwork for all my songs via my computer (as med or large tiles when viewing the files) and via Windows Media Player. Most of my songs are mp3 and some are m4a. I just got a USB card that I have been adding my music to specifically for my SRX and have started with a small portion of my music and would like to work the kinks out with these first before I add more. I have about 850 songs I'm working with now and all ID tags are working good with CUE except the artwork. I don't want to individually convert each file to MP3 to fix this issue as it will be a big undertaking. I hope there is an easier way to get the artwork to be seen via CUE.

Any help would be appreciated.

~Tina~

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Tina, PM me. I tried to PM you but your box/queue is full!

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis View Post
    Will do Don. I didn't realized my PM box was full so I will delete some messages and PM you.

Thanks,

~Tina~

----------

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis View Post
    Don, PM sent.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

I was late to the mp3tag party, but I'm on board now and that is one handy little *free* program.

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    I was late to the mp3tag party, but I'm on board now and that is one handy little *free* program.
    Georule, I downloaded that last night and wasn't as straight forward as I expected in figuring it out.

~Tina~

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I use doubletwist and it works well....however, the artwork is strictly trial and error. Some thumbnails works....others don't. Painstaking switching back and forth between different artwork covers on the Net; pixels and resolution differences doesn't seem to matter...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.