Voice command problem - Anyone else? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Voice command problem - Anyone else? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I do use the OnStar phone when I think about it. It is truly one a button phone with no ...
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Voice command problem - Anyone else?

I do use the OnStar phone when I think about it. It is truly one a button phone with no voice recognition problems. I can even leave my AC fan on any setting I want or have the window down and they always hear what I say. Maybe CUE could route all its commands through OnStar and the voice recognition problem would be over.

OnStar Advisor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello all,

I just wanted to provide a little clarification.

The OnStar Hands-Free-Calling phone is connected by pressing the phone icon button on the OnStar mirror. It should answer with 'OnStar Ready.' Then you can say "Call" (for nametags stored manually), or "Dial" (to dial a phone number). Using your Bluetooth phone does not count towards your OnStar Hands-Free Calling minutes. Also, pressing the OnStar or Emergency buttons for directions or assistance will not use any minutes.

When a Bluetooth phone is connected to the vehicle, outgoing calls placed using the steering wheel Push To Talk button automatically utilize your Bluetooth phone. Bluetooth for Phone audibly identifies which phone is making the outgoing call by providing the phone nametag stored during the pairing process. If there are no paired Bluetooth phones connected, using the steering wheel Push To Talk button automatically uses OnStar Hands-Free Calling* to make an outgoing call.

I hope this helps. I'd be happy to answer other specific questions, just let me know.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team
    CDN XTS likes this.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Don't use OnStar, but certainly have comments about the voice answering system. A previous poster said that Voice was about 80-90% accurate. Well, I think that this is equal to just about unacceptably accurate and as well as a huge danger factor. That is, because of its inaccuracies (bluetooth calls and navigation instructions), it causes us to continue trying to get the proper response. This in turn can "take our minds off the road," perhaps leading to a loss of concentration as we try not to laugh at the responses.

Now, in all honesty, please don't bother referring me to the dealer or to CUE help, as it is quite obvious that they are not the ones to help. Too many folks have been reporting these problems to think that "holding" our hands is going to do any good. Cadillac should take their heads out of the sand and just do something useful to improve Voice's functionality.

Unfortunately, a fix will probably take a very long time if Caddy continues to copy BMW. As one example, I'm referring to BMW's huge time delay in doing something about such a simple thing as fixing a shorted out rear lights on its E46. All kinds of reports were constantly being given to BMW about rear lights shorting. BMW dealerships' approach (hope Caddy doesn't copy this one) was to replace connectors and at the worst, replace lumes (very, very expensive). As all this was going on, it was reported in BMW enthusiast forums that the problem was due to not having a large enough ground. Thus, a DIY from one of the members came out saying that either replace the ground with a thicker one or just add a second ground. I did the later and it worked fine. BMW came out with a recall a few years later...of course if the connectors weren't fried, BMW simply replaced the ground.

I went in today for a dealer provided oil change and asked the service rep to sit in the SRX with me to go over a couple of things. The red erase X on the address line was one of the issues. If any of you remember my wife had a hell of a time while we driving trying to insert the address in the box. If she made a one digit mistake, easy on the bumpy roads of Atlanta, she could not get the red X to only erase one digit but exited the entire screen. Today the rep found out that the red X has to be tapped on the extreme left side of it to make it work. Otherwise the entire globe icon and exit tag are all the same. The tap had to be literally off to the side of the X. He re-calibrated the screen but said it didn't seem to change anything. The other thing is that even though I had the dealership in the NAV under recent destinations it was on the next page of destinations and was not allowed because of the safety issue. It's funny because the slide list can be accessed in music or other list but not in NAV. Anyway I tried asking CUEtie for "Cadillac Dealer", not understood. Then "New car dealer", not understood. But she she did respond to "Cars" by saying "Non-GM car parts stores". So I figured since she said "GM" I should say "GM Dealers" No go. I asked the rep to try it and he said "Cadillac" and the list of local Caddy dealers popped up. I simply do not see a rational verbiage to this thing. When I want to go to the Atlanta Airport I have to say "Airports", not Atlanta hartsfield-Jackson international airport, and get a list of about twenty to select from. That is generic. But for the Cadillac dealer I had to say the specific instead of generic such as "GM" or "New cars". As they say when the towel has been thrown in, "Oh well".

OnStar Advisor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Linda in Jax,

I recently attempted to PM you back but for some reason the message wouldn't send. I'd like to further assist in getting this matter resolved for you. Can you please send me your OnStar account number and contact information?

I hope to hear from you soon.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

FYI

new members only get a very limited number of messages available to them in their inbox and outbox
    this is to combat against spammers who would sign up and then begin to send PMs to everyone

once a new user passes the introductory period (usually based on interaction on the forum - posts, etc) they will get ten messages between their inbox and outbox
    (ten may have changed, but that's what it used to be)

subscribing/supporting members at the normal and platinum levels will have larger inboxes (among other extras afforded to them for contributing financially)

so just remember that when sending a message you may be maxing out your inbox/outbox allotment
    that is usually what happens to me when i max out mine ... a few hours later or the next day i will get an email notification from the forum letting me know that so-and-so is trying to send me a PM but can't because my inbox/outbox is full

you will have to go in there and delete some or all of them from time to time
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Linda in JAX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS 2013 Platinum Black Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    Gregory, I do not understand the private message thig. We are all having the same problems with the voice recognition system so why make it private. The OnStar problem also affects all of us so there too it should be a public message. Can you get it across to the CUE people that we all have learning curves and as we get better responses from the system we move ahead. Why does CUE stay at the entry level and never move to a higher level of recognition? I mean the tutorial and the long winded responses seem to be infantile after a couple of months of use. Without getting negative about CUE it seems to me that there should have been a beta model that GM used on NORMAL people who tested and used it to get the bugs and road blocks out of it. Was there? Is there anything we can hope for that will give us a system that is even minimally usable? Will there be an announcement that the BIG update that cures all of these issues is coming soon? I remember when I found out the truth about Santa, Easter bunny, tooth fairy and Superman. Please don't tell me that CUE is in this group.
    OK gang - here is the info that I got in a private post from GM regarding OnStar phone access vs Bluetooth access:

You are able to access your OnStar minutes while still having your phone connected. If you are using the steering wheel controls if you press it, it will go to Bluetooth. If you double tap, or hold that button down for an extended time, it will connect to your OnStar minutes. To be sure that you are using the OnStar minutes, using the phone button on the mirror is the best way. She also stated that if that doesn't work, like you are experiencing, that you should make an appointment with the dealership because there is a bulletin out regarding this.

And, I have tried pressing the OnStar phone button on the rear view mirror and it did connect me to my Bluetooth smartphone. So, it's now on me to get the car into the dealership to get the update related to the bulletin.

I am beginning to think that the "U" in CUE stands for update.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I am beginning to think that the "U" in CUE stands for update.
    Well said, but you left out the "now!"
    CDN XTS likes this.

My wife and I recently changed phones to Iphone 4S's and we have both learned to use Siri whenever we need something while we are out. I needed to rent a Uhaul truck to take my daughter's college junk home. We were in a Barnes & Noble's book store having coffee and I asked Siri where the two closest Uhauls were. Within less than a minute they were on the screen with addresses and phone numbers. Is there any reason that the voice command system in CUE could not operate like this? Siri understands us almost 100 % of the time. I don't get it.

glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

Siri is internet connected - it sends out what you asked and back end computers what that have very sophisticated models to recognize what you are asking to return directions, web links etc. Quite honestly I am impressed with the in car voice to the point if I say Play bring it on home it knows I want scissor sisters bring it on home on my sd card.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.