New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree9Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I don't think the suggestion will address my problem the turn shows correctly on the screen graphics it's shows I ...
    TonyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS
    I don't think the suggestion will address my problem the turn shows correctly on the screen graphics it's shows I should take right turn which is correct. The problem is the voice says take a left turn.
    It doesn't happen that often but it does seem to happen on the same stretch of road at the same turns. What difference would it make if you have it in 3D , North Up, or the other modes I would think no matter what mode it is in it should tell you to take a right turn if it's a right turn...lol

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman

I can't help you with the CUE voice in Nav because I never have it on. That voice is too much like an uptight 6th grade teacher for my taste.

For those of you who use Iphones this article on the recent upgrade to IOS7 . I got a notification while I was at the doctor's office that an upgrade was available. I down loaded it and that was that. This is what CUE should be able to do or future CUE renditions so that all of the going to the dealers for the entire day are no longer necessary. Here is the link to the article that explains a lot of the new features of IOS7.
    http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2013/09...e-big-gripe/2/

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    For those of you who use Iphones this article on the recent upgrade to IOS7 . I got a notification while I was at the doctor's office that an upgrade was available. I down loaded it and that was that. This is what CUE should be able to do or future CUE renditions so that all of the going to the dealers for the entire day are no longer necessary. Here is the link to the article that explains a lot of the new features of IOS7.
    http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2013/09...e-big-gripe/2/
    My last vehicle was a Ford. One of the things they got very, very right with their Sync system was the upgrade process.

You could download a file to a USB memory stick, and when you plugged said stick into the car, it would prompt you if you wanted to upgrade.

Very simple process; I don't see why CUE couldn't have the same thing.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
    My last vehicle was a Ford. One of the things they got very, very right with their Sync system was the upgrade process.

You could download a file to a USB memory stick, and when you plugged said stick into the car, it would prompt you if you wanted to upgrade.

Very simple process; I don't see why CUE couldn't have the same thing.
    that is how CUE is updated, GM is just paranoid about the process, you have to trigger a programming mode while the engine is off, because of this they worry about a loss of power during the process bricking the radio, so they make it a dealer process, so the car can be hooked up to a battery tender during the process.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

I am sorry, but does anyone else think that is crazy? I mean really, make it mandatory (or at the very least a warning as Apple does) that the vehicle needs to be running (hence charging the battery) when you do the upgrade. If a user (like my parents) are nervous or do not have the wherewithal to do it themselves, just give the OPTION of going to the dealer to perform the upgrade. Have some really strong phone tech support in place for the rest of us if we need it.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by pkadanec View Post
    I am sorry, but does anyone else think that is crazy? I mean really, make it mandatory (or at the very least a warning as Apple does) that the vehicle needs to be running (hence charging the battery) when you do the upgrade. If a user (like my parents) are nervous or do not have the wherewithal to do it themselves, just give the OPTION of going to the dealer to perform the upgrade. Have some really strong phone tech support in place for the rest of us if we need it.
    its more complicated than that, just as you can't change a belt/spark plug/oil while the engine is running, CUE is the same way because its linked to vehicle functions those functions cant be ripped out and replaced when they're running (because engine is on) and GM has to be a little paranoid for the same reason, if you brick your phone no big deal call tech support, if you brick CUE you also brick the car, don't forget the steering wheel controls and the DIC are part of CUE as is the changeable instrument cluster on XTS and the upcoming CTS. so the tire pressure system , oil life, fuel economy, courtesy lights, horns , door locks, driver personalization/seat memory, HVAC, etc have to be off to upgrade. so GM is taking the better safe than sorry approach and assumes everyone has an edgy battery.

I read in the WSJ this morning that Ford assured an owner that they would update their INSYNC system for the new iPhone 5S soon. CUE?

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

I understand what you are saying, however... i have seen on numerous occasions in this forum and through personal experience (CUE reboots without warning) that CUE does not effect any of the standard "vehicle" functions (like say, then engine running or the instrument cluster display), so i am extrapolating from that, that CUE components COULD be upgraded without effecting normal vehicle operations. What would be really nice is a detailed explanation from GM, however i have not seen anyone from GM comment in months (save the standard marketing response).....

"GM has to be a little paranoid for the same reason, if you brick your phone no big deal call tech support, if you brick CUE you also brick the car, don't forget the steering wheel controls and the DIC are part of CUE as is the changeable instrument cluster on XTS and the upcoming CTS. so the tire pressure system , oil life, fuel economy, courtesy lights, horns , door locks, driver personalization/seat memory, HVAC, etc have to be off to upgrade. so GM is taking the better safe than sorry approach and assumes everyone has an edgy battery".
    I am not sure of all that you wrote about what systems would be affected but when I get routine upgrades to different software on my PC nothing else is affected if the update is designed properly. I do not see why a CUE update could not be targeted at one area of the system or just one or two new functions added to it without putting the entire system at risk of "Bricking". I am not a computer software designer nor do I try to act like one but am only reflecting on how our personal computers respond to updates or our smartphone react to new apps. We don't even consider that there can be a risk of crashing our phones. Like I said before I just downloaded a COMPLETE new OS on my iPhone while sitting in a doctor's office!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

sure your update (and mine) went through without a hitch
    but GM does not want a single one of these types of experiences
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ios7+update+bricked+site:discussions.appl e.com

supposedly there have been over 200,000,000 iOS7 updates already
    if errors/complications only happen to a tenth of one percent of those users that is 200,000 people
    GM doesn't have that many installs but even 20 or 200 would be unacceptable to them
    ... we're not talking about a consumer electronics product ... we're talking about a very expensive luxury car ($30,000-$80,000+)

maybe one day in the future when GM is confident that the update process and their codebase is stable enough they will let the owners do CUE updates on their own (or have the system do it autonomously on its own) ... but that day is not in the near future - that's for sure
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Chris Shillinger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Depends on what you consider "near future." When the 2015 models switch to AT&T for OnStar, they vehicles will autonomously update themselves, or so I am told by GM employees.

I think for me anyway that I considered the 2013 SRX BECAUSE of the update potential so that our cars could at least be current with GM's latest standards. I know that we cannot expect to get all of the new functions for free but fixes and making things work smoother should be free and continuous just like with Windows or Apple. I was told upon purchase that apps would be available for my SRX "Soon". I expect that to happen in my lifetime. I would also appreciate apps like "Favorites", one tap for one row and two for two etc instead of trying to maybe get the central favorite arrow head to not call up the menu or destination buttons next to it. Maybe a temperature setting app for each driver that would take you to the temp that you have to set every time you get into the driver's seat. How about an auto fold outside mirror setting or app? These are little things but keeping us old car owners in the update loop will surely keep us in the new car loop as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.