New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee his point is he's answering your question, with the answer no, they probably don't understand that ...
    cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    his point is he's answering your question, with the answer no, they probably don't understand that the data is not GM's to dole out timely and cheaply. and you're both correct, few people know that the gatekeepers in the GIS (geographical information systems) industry were mainly Nokia, and Garmin (who owns Navigon), from whom most everybody else bought mapping data. these two, unknowingly pulled the tail of the sleeping tiger Google who got fed up with this expensive status quo and built their own, Google has more than enough resources and an armada of data collection devices (our phones) in the field and was able to build their data much more quickly than the establisment. Google even dealt a huge blow to the GIS industry stock prices when they gave this data away with turn by turn on the original Droid phone. Bottom line is Maps data is expensive, even the so called "free google maps" we either pay outright for it (like in our cars) or we pay for it by selling our privacy so google can serve us targeted ads, how else does google make billions when virtually all their products are "free".
    And boom goes the dynamite. lol

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i understand the point that the 'free google maps' isn't truly free ... yes there's a cost to it but it's not paid with money

but that's not my point

my point was to try and help people realize the full reality of the situation and open their eyes to very likely and plausible possibilities that they didn't even know could exist
    (also it was to get people to quit bitching about the cost of navigation and nav maps)

----------

PS: there have been many discussions on this site around the topic of navigation/navmapupdates/etc

one of the best discussions probably was this one
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...av-update.html
    start with my post #74 and end around post #99 or so

within there is a really good article that I mention ... the link is dead now (forum squished it somewhere in the last few years)
    good link to the "less than free" story is here: http://abovethecrowd.com/2009/10/29/google-redefines-disruption-the-less-than-free-business-model/
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I don't think there is anyone on this forum that thinks anything we get on our cars or cell phones is free. In my mind it means that I am not charged a one time or a monthly fee for it but that I am paying for it through obnoxious ads that appear at the wrong time. I think the dislike for the yearly Nav upgrade is that it doesn't tell you what was updated and where. I bought one for a Garmin a couple of years ago and the area where I live was still not on their updated maps and my neighborhood is over ten years old! A good point was made that if the auto industry doesn't get up to speed on their update system then the accessories that we are now buying as OEM options will be filled by aftermarket companies that understand the technology and the demand for more timely updates and apps. I sometime wonder why the auto industry couldn't have just gone with a smartphone and a big touch screen for the driver to use. That way we would have all of the things that we have now without all this gap in technology.
    bluztoo likes this.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I don't think there is anyone on this forum that thinks anything we get on our cars or cell phones is free. In my mind it means that I am not charged a one time or a monthly fee for it but that I am paying for it through obnoxious ads that appear at the wrong time. I think the dislike for the yearly Nav upgrade is that it doesn't tell you what was updated and where. I bought one for a Garmin a couple of years ago and the area where I live was still not on their updated maps and my neighborhood is over ten years old! A good point was made that if the auto industry doesn't get up to speed on their update system then the accessories that we are now buying as OEM options will be filled by aftermarket companies that understand the technology and the demand for more timely updates and apps. I sometime wonder why the auto industry couldn't have just gone with a smartphone and a big touch screen for the driver to use. That way we would have all of the things that we have now without all this gap in technology.
    I agree with that I wish GM bought Nokia before Microsoft did, then theyd own the maps and have a top notch consumer electronics company showing them tech how consumers are

bluztoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AST, 2.0T, Prem. AT, RWD

In my experience you do need to bitch sometimes to get the people in charge to pay attention. But I also try to be constructive. Trust me, I'm no fan of Google. I think the real lesson is, find ways to respond to market changes. In this case it would mean getting map updates out more frequently probably on a subscription basis. And, I think people would pay for that. I also believe that it is totally within Cadillac's control to provide CUE updates to customers as long as the underlying hardware is compatible. The real goal is to create a broad community of enthusiasts which this car has and deserves, but it would be even stronger if folks felt like they were getting a little more value added along the way. Smart folks in Cadillac and GM are already having these discussions, I'm certain. I'm just trying to "help them along." ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
    In my experience you do need to bitch sometimes to get the people in charge to pay attention. But I also try to be constructive. Trust me, I'm no fan of Google. I think the real lesson is, find ways to respond to market changes. In this case it would mean getting map updates out more frequently probably on a subscription basis. And, I think people would pay for that. I also believe that it is totally within Cadillac's control to provide CUE updates to customers as long as the underlying hardware is compatible. The real goal is to create a broad community of enthusiasts which this car has and deserves, but it would be even stronger if folks felt like they were getting a little more value added along the way. Smart folks in Cadillac and GM are already having these discussions, I'm certain. I'm just trying to "help them along." ;-)
    there already is the subscription always up to date maps in our cars.....it called onstar, if the built in maps don't have the current data onstar can send it to your Nav on a route by route basis

I didn't know about OnStar updates to our maps. How do you know that a map is not up to date? Is it that you are somewhere and what you see is not on the map you are looking at? When they send it to your Nav does it update the data base or is just for that one time use? Thanks for the tip.

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    So I'm driving South on A1A in Florida just south of Melbourne Beach with the Atlantic ocean on my left. But, the Nav display has the water tagged as the Gulf of Mexico. Hmmmmm.......

I didn't know about OnStar updates to our maps. How do you know that a map is not up to date? Is it that you are somewhere and what you see is not on the map you are looking at? When they send it to your Nav does it update the data base or is just for that one time use? Thanks for the tip.
    here's how it works:

A friend of mine sold an Escalade to the chargers quarterback (Rivers) but his house in a new developement was not on the vehicles maps so you could not type it in, he called onstar and they downloaded the location to the car and navigation to his home worked fine after that, the nav unit remembers i don't know how many exactly but something like your last ten destinations and it remembered it that way, but to prevent it from overwriting them (say if he navigated to 10 new locations) they saved his home in the addressbook, CUE works the same way.

so bottom line if where your going falls between the cracks of the every other year map update a call to onstar will get you there because their maps are always up to date, you can also have onstar look at traffic for you and send a route around a problem to your car if you opt out of XM nav traffic.

I wonder why GM just didn't go with OnStar's Nav system? If they have the actual world map that is up to date they would be the people I would talk to if I was starting out. It's interesting that if you have OnStar put the info into your Nav it will last if you make it a favorite. But if the entire neighborhood is not in the database does it also show the entire road structure of the non-recorded neighborhood on the way to the saved address? And would the non-database neighborhood show up automatically if you were just driving through that neighborhood without going to the saved address? What a strange bunch of questions huh?

I wonder why GM just didn't go with OnStar's Nav system? If they have the actual world map that is up to date they would be the people I would talk to if I was starting out. It's interesting that if you have OnStar put the info into your Nav it will last if you make it a favorite. But if the entire neighborhood is not in the database does it also show the entire road structure of the non-recorded neighborhood on the way to the saved address? And would the non-database neighborhood show up automatically if you were just driving through that neighborhood without going to the saved address? What a strange bunch of questions huh?
    in a way GM did go with Onstar's nav system it's installed in all our cars after all, i believe the database issue to be licensed hard copies loaded into our vehicles, as far as onstar always being up to date, my guess based on the maps in our onstar mobile apps and the send to car feature from map websites is they are probably using Bing/Mapquest/Google Maps which is why they're more up to date than the cars.

TonyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS
    Has anyone every had a problem with their nav not knowing left from right ?

I was following routes and the map would show I needed to take a right turn but the voice would say to take a left. This a happened a few times on different routes different locations , has it happened to anyone else ?
    RockvilleXTS likes this.

It sounds like you need to touch the NAV icon about three times to get "Route up" back on your display. Everytime you tocuh the little NAV icon at the top of the screen it changes the display from the original setting. If you hit reset at the bottom I believe it will also go back to what you have in the "Settings" page. I had that happen to me one time in downtown Atlanta and it startled me for a second until I figured out what happened.

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

I'm hearing that the GMC Acadia just received a big software update for its IntelliLink systems .... wonder if there are goodies coming for CUE?

(Hoping for some new goodies for my SRX; Unfortunately my wife's Acadia is too old for any of the good stuff - it's an '08 that doesn't even have *gasp* Bluetooth!)

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Has anyone every had a problem with their nav not knowing left from right ?

I was following routes and the map would show I needed to take a right turn but the voice would say to take a left. This a happened a few times on different routes different locations , has it happened to anyone else ?
    Hello TonyT,

I am sorry you are experiencing a malfunction with your nav system. I see another forum member offered advice to reset the system. Have you been able to test this out yet? If you are still having issues and would like to discuss this with us, please reach out via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.