New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by inspectorudy The method that GM has decided on to install updates may turn out to be a ...
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    The method that GM has decided on to install updates may turn out to be a costly one. It would appear that only GM certified dealers will be able to install any update which means that the dealers will get paid for several hours of work. Although I am not sure how much they will be paid they do require manhours to install and then check out each car. It would seem with computer updates going out nightly to computers all over the world with no interference or assistance from anyone that the GM system might be a little ancient. I understand the legal ramifications of a system that can conceivably affect safety but then partial updates would seem to be away around a total redo of the entire OS every time. I get updates all the time that only affect one or two issues but does not require a total replacement of system data. Is this possible on our cars? How about the use of SD cards or CD's? I am not computer literate enough to understand why we have such a complex system.
    prior to the CUE update, there was an over the air update for XTS, dealers had to make sure all of them were parked outside not in showrooms or service bays and had to start the cars every 3 days until they were all updated

macklobell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum

I heard that the siri eyes free and the text messaging is available on the 2014 Cadillac XTS as well. I hope GM let's the 2013 XTS owners know soon if this will be integrated. I feel cheated. Why no sign of Laura now with an explanation? Oh wait a minute, she will probably come on and say I will document your concerns and we will never hear back again. Horrible!!!!!!!

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

We are all frustrated but I don't think Laura is the one to aim our anger at. She is in PR and tells us what they tell her to tell us. It is not personal with her. I understand the push is for the new models but we need to hear from someone that the check is in the mail. I know the new models always take precedence over SOLD cars but still there is a corporate affection that needs to be assuaged. I remember buying a new Datsun 240Z and driving off of the lot only to find out the tachometer did not work. I drove back around the block and told the service department about it and they said they would order me a new tach. The car was not even ten minutes old! I said how about you take the tach out of a floor model and order one for it. The sales manager looked at me like I had the plague. He said that they would NEVER take a part off of a new car for an old customer (Ten minutes) and that I had to wait for the new tach to come in (two weeks). If it is the GM of old then we are screwed. If there is a new team in town that understands brand loyalty then we may have a slim chance. The onus is on Cadillac to keep us in the loop so that we do not feel like we have been bypassed for a newer model and newer customers. The window of customer relations is a short one and the portal is slowly closing. Has anyone noticed the lack of any new info about our issues? We no longer get up to date stuff about our problems or concerns. Codeman has gone on a vacation and Rippy doesn't seem to be in the know any longer. Either there is the mother of all updates about to come out or we are about to become BMW, Lexus and Mercedes customers. I'll even throw in the Equus as an alternative at the price that GM is charging now. HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYONE!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i'm not sure if codeman works for GM anymore ... and i have no clue for sure but I would guess that there will probably be only one major CUE update per year so we're quite a ways off for the next update
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Member

We are all frustrated but I don't think Laura is the one to aim our anger at. She is in PR and tells us what they tell her to tell us. It is not personal with her. I understand the push is for the new models but we need to hear from someone that the check is in the mail. I know the new models always take precedence over SOLD cars but still there is a corporate affection that needs to be assuaged. I remember buying a new Datsun 240Z and driving off of the lot only to find out the tachometer did not work. I drove back around the block and told the service department about it and they said they would order me a new tach. The car was not even ten minutes old! I said how about you take the tach out of a floor model and order one for it. The sales manager looked at me like I had the plague. He said that they would NEVER take a part off of a new car for an old customer (Ten minutes) and that I had to wait for the new tach to come in (two weeks). If it is the GM of old then we are screwed. If there is a new team in town that understands brand loyalty then we may have a slim chance. The onus is on Cadillac to keep us in the loop so that we do not feel like we have been bypassed for a newer model and newer customers. The window of customer relations is a short one and the portal is slowly closing. Has anyone noticed the lack of any new info about our issues? We no longer get up to date stuff about our problems or concerns. Codeman has gone on a vacation and Rippy doesn't seem to be in the know any longer. Either there is the mother of all updates about to come out or we are about to become BMW, Lexus and Mercedes customers. I'll even throw in the Equus as an alternative at the price that GM is charging now. HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYONE!
    Oh, for freakin Pete's sake, get ahold if yourself!!

macklobell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum

No feedback?

Cadillacs coding team needs to have a blog to keep us in the loop, to avoid a panic that we've been abandoned.

I'm sure they're discovering this is the dark side of lowering their average owner age from way up in the 70's, and that this segments average buyer grew up with tech unlike the legacy Cadillac owners before them and have an expectation level they've never seen before. I'm sure this has happened to other luxury brands too.

that said in my fantasy world Cadillac would leave the renaissance center to Chevy, Buick, and GMC and move to Silicon Valley or Irvine and live amongst their young wealthy techie target customers (the other 3 brands can come too Buick really needs the help). no disrespect to Detroit but I have a feeling that being in a city well past it's prime and bankrupt isn't the ideal scenario to attract talent. again no ill will toward that part of the country, but a hotshot graduate looking at his or her choice of nice jobs, I'm sure where they'll live has an influence. it just seems logical to me that a software engineer looking at a six figure jobs coding in the Bay Area or Detroit might be influenced by factors outside the job, much in the way rural places have trouble attracting professionals like doctors. don't misread into this that I don't think GM has talent, far from it I think they're fabulously talented, but the world has changed around Detroit and the manufacturing megastar place that was Motown is probably gone and the new Motown is where google, apple, adobe, Cisco, eBay, Facebook, oracle, sandisk, western digital, and many others reside. how can that environment not be good for our chosen brand

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Wookie, I think you are just missing the point of the technology that is invading our autos. It's aim is to make driving easier, safer, more convenient and more enjoyable, not to be more techy. Apple and Microsoft are both struggling with OS that are designed for human interface. Both systems will and can do the job but the interface is the weakest link. The younger generation may be more at home with apps and finger flicking but the aim is still the same; to make the equipment do what the user needs in the most efficient way possible. We all have our druthers on hardware but that in itself would dictate user alterable designs like that ATS instrument cluster. Your idea about setting up GM's computer technology center in Silicon Valley might be a good one only time will tell. I think we with the current CUE system are on the beginning edge of a wave of new technology in auto development. My '13 SRX is so advanced mechanically that it is a let down that the interface is so primitive. I just hope that we are not left behind as progress is made with CUE.

Wookie, I think you are just missing the point of the technology that is invading our autos. It's aim is to make driving easier, safer, more convenient and more enjoyable, not to be more techy. Apple and Microsoft are both struggling with OS that are designed for human interface. Both systems will and can do the job but the interface is the weakest link. The younger generation may be more at home with apps and finger flicking but the aim is still the same; to make the equipment do what the user needs in the most efficient way possible. We all have our druthers on hardware but that in itself would dictate user alterable designs like that ATS instrument cluster. Your idea about setting up GM's computer technology center in Silicon Valley might be a good one only time will tell. I think we with the current CUE system are on the beginning edge of a wave of new technology in auto development. My '13 SRX is so advanced mechanically that it is a let down that the interface is so primitive. I just hope that we are not left behind as progress is made with CUE.
    I do get the point, the point of all technology is to make our lives easier, whether it be military tech (kill people easier) information tech (make more money) consumer tech (entertain us, take away our chores a la game consoles, tv's, cell phones dishwasher, roomba)....the car is just another manifestation of this indeed the car itself sans tech is a technology to improve our lives in terms of conveyance. the ATS is a great car, which is what focuses the attention to these technical flubs, had Cadillac used as much resources as it used to beat BMW in chassis and suspension (and it does) on the software, i'm not saying it would have been perfect (nothing made by humans is) but it would at least meet the technical standard that we expect, that is to say when endeavoring to bring the radio to a new era, ensure at least it has the bases covered and works from a functional perspective better than what it replaced an example of this would be the smart phone, even though early smart phones were not that good by todays standards they exceeded what feature phones could do AND had making phone calls covered. the pop up radio cadillac replaced was awesome, voice commands worked well, and it worked great with connected devices, and you didn't have to think about it or spend too much eye time with it. I will go out on a limb and say had they just improved the processor, graphics, added pandora and made its styling commensurate with ATS' interior, you'd have a lot of happy folks, that unit was nicely done by alpine in the CTS and delphi in SRX. another example of software letting ATS down is in the transmission, as stated before ATS beat the king in the chassis and suspension battle, but lost the war to BMW due mainly to acceleration, CUE, and transmission gearing (this goes back to acceleration) and shifting behavior. a little known fact is the 6L45 transmission in our car was supplied to BMW for the previous gen 3 series, a car and driver '10 best' car, a car that was tremendously well received and praised for how it drove. so how is it that GM designed and manufactured the transmission in one of the all time greatest sedans, and yet that same transmission is a disappointment when compared to that very same brand. Again this falls at the feet of the software, a point many in this forum will attest to after having their tranny software tuned I do realize BMW's new transmission is an 8 speed, but that should have been its only deficit.

mechevar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Honestly, well put. I'm a software developer, in the younger demographic, on my first Cadillac and I'm constantly on these forums anxiously looking for updates to CUE along with additional apps. If anything, Cadillac CUE software development should just have a twitter feed. With my career choices, I chose jobs in a tech friendly area simply due to the fact that if one job doesn't work out, I can get another without uprooting my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Cadillacs coding team needs to have a blog to keep us in the loop, to avoid a panic that we've been abandoned.

I'm sure they're discovering this is the dark side of lowering their average owner age from way up in the 70's, and that this segments average buyer grew up with tech unlike the legacy Cadillac owners before them and have an expectation level they've never seen before. I'm sure this has happened to other luxury brands too.

that said in my fantasy world Cadillac would leave the renaissance center to Chevy, Buick, and GMC and move to Silicon Valley or Irvine and live amongst their young wealthy techie target customers (the other 3 brands can come too Buick really needs the help). no disrespect to Detroit but I have a feeling that being in a city well past it's prime and bankrupt isn't the ideal scenario to attract talent. again no ill will toward that part of the country, but a hotshot graduate looking at his or her choice of nice jobs, I'm sure where they'll live has an influence. it just seems logical to me that a software engineer looking at a six figure jobs coding in the Bay Area or Detroit might be influenced by factors outside the job, much in the way rural places have trouble attracting professionals like doctors. don't misread into this that I don't think GM has talent, far from it I think they're fabulously talented, but the world has changed around Detroit and the manufacturing megastar place that was Motown is probably gone and the new Motown is where google, apple, adobe, Cisco, eBay, Facebook, oracle, sandisk, western digital, and many others reside. how can that environment not be good for our chosen brand
    r34220 likes this.

bluztoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AST, 2.0T, Prem. AT, RWD

I do think someone owes us a straight answer. Can you buy the update? It is incredibly short-sighted on the part of Cadillac to not offer upgrades where the hardware is not an issue. Remember - new future - new cars - a new way of doing business!
    My prediction is that car makers will actually push their way out of this market. In other words, as long as the smart phone can output through the cars speakers, there may be no reason for paying to have things that won't be updated in the car. Take navigation - you can use Apple maps, or Google maps free. You can buy an app like Navigon, which has lifetime free upgrades of maps, and you can also purchase a traffic module with a one-time cost. I'd prefer to have it integrated, but not if that means having outdated maps that are upgradeable once a year at a cost of $199. And if I want traffic I have to pay a monthly fee. I have MyFordSync in my wife's car. They're making the same mistake at Ford. I give car makers a couple of years to either become truly tech friendly, or they'll just be pushed out of the way. And I'm sure I'll hear from people who say - this is a big deal? On a car? My answer is yes, and it is indicative of how a company sells excellence. They either do, or they don't.
    inspectorudy likes this.

you do understand that the car makers (GM/Ford/etc) don't own the map data or the traffic data, right?
    And that the owners of that data license it's use so that they can charge differently depending upon where that data is going to be used?
    just because Google can offer maps for free (personally I love google maps) and Navigon can offer it cheaply (compared to the OEM auto mfg nav updates)
    that doesn't mean that the auto mfgs are able to offer consumers the same kind of deals because of the licensing
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    you do understand that the car makers (GM/Ford/etc) don't own the map data or the traffic data, right?
    And that the owners of that data license it's use so that they can charge differently depending upon where that data is going to be used?
    just because Google can offer maps for free (personally I love google maps) and Navigon can offer it cheaply (compared to the OEM auto mfg nav updates)
    that doesn't mean that the auto mfgs are able to offer consumers the same kind of deals because of the licensing
    Consumers rarely understand the difference between "free for the consumer" and "free"... A hint? Nothing in this world is free, even if its "free to the consumer".

I'm not sure what your point is...

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is...
    his point is he's answering your question, with the answer no, they probably don't understand that the data is not GM's to dole out timely and cheaply. and you're both correct, few people know that the gatekeepers in the GIS (geographical information systems) industry were mainly Nokia, and Garmin (who owns Navigon), from whom most everybody else bought mapping data. these two, unknowingly pulled the tail of the sleeping tiger Google who got fed up with this expensive status quo and built their own, Google has more than enough resources and an armada of data collection devices (our phones) in the field and was able to build their data much more quickly than the establisment. Google even dealt a huge blow to the GIS industry stock prices when they gave this data away with turn by turn on the original Droid phone. Bottom line is Maps data is expensive, even the so called "free google maps" we either pay outright for it (like in our cars) or we pay for it by selling our privacy so google can serve us targeted ads, how else does google make billions when virtually all their products are "free".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.