Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cue Improvement(s)/Problems/Suggestions - March Release (New Version)

28K views 123 replies 34 participants last post by  pissedoffwookiee 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a new thread that focused primarily on the new version of Cue that everyone should be getting soon or have received lately.
The old thread titled "Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread" has gotten very large and also a lot of the problems people talk about have been fixed in this new release!
As you know it is more common to talk about problems than to give praise, however I do want to say the update is vastly better than it was prior to, and to give some positive feedback/kudos to the team and also Codeman for taking the time to listen and use our feedback to make Cue overall better.

EDIT, apparently this forum only allows editing for a couple of days, so once that happens I won't be able to edit this post. I don't know why that's the case as I think it is a really stupid policy!

I'd REALLY like to make this first post list the problems people have had, for easy accessibility to all who comes to read it. With that in mind I'd like to edit this post and add (with your name next to it) your comments where appropriate. Therefore ideas and such don't get buried under pages and pages of comments (some will certainly not be helpful comments also...LOL). This will then be easier to read by all, and have a lot of information easily accessible (it is my hope anyway).
I don't have a lot of issues that I've noticed so far, and hopefully the list will remain small.

*If my editing of what you've stated isn't to your liking, please let me know. I'm trying to make things concise and clear, but I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way

ATS Current version #'s for reference (from my car at least, with all known updates)
Software Version: 23150273
Gracenote: 22993544
Map: 22993553

Problems

General

Pandora
[bungee91] Still getting "Check connected device" at times. The only way to fix this seems to be to reboot the phone and then go to another source and then back to Pandora. This is over Bluetooth with a Nexus 4 on Android 4.2.2. I believe it to be an issue with the phone going into accessory mode, as a restart and a toggle fixes it.
----------(ewired) Mine does this currently as well. iPhone5 plugged into either USB. Usually have to reopen app and once it see the connected to accessory screen it magically reappears on CUE.

Navigation
[marktanner] (while using nav to a destination) The audio prompts stopped working, as did all of the other prompts, split screen features, and arrival time feature. I checked in the settings, and audio prompts were turned off. I turned it back on, but still no prompts. No prompts in the DIC or HUD, either. This morning, fortunately, all was back to normal.
[marktanner] I used the Nav for a few destinations. One address was not located properly, for which I blame MapQuest/Navtec.

Climate Control
[bungee91] Heat setting seems to un-"sync" at times when I start the car, and I swear I had it synced prior to, however when I go to the climate control it has both zones at different temperatures. - I'll watch this to see if I'm not just crazy

USB/SD Card

Voice Command

Weather
[marktanner] when I get into weather alerts, I cannot get back to my original Nav view without going through the home screen first.

Suggestions/Improvements

General
[bungee91] Can the new startup sound on Cue be selectable on/off under settings? It is cool at first, but annoying at other times, an option would be appreciated.
**********[codeman71] Yes there is a setting for this. In Settings, choose Radio. Then select Audio Cue Volume. If you turn it off here you shouldn't get those sounds any more
[ewired] My take on CUE. Give us the freedom to adjust the programming of what CUE can do. If you did not build this device to be accessible to the programming scenes for the end user, then you should allow us to make personal changes to the USER interface via some type of Service and make that available through USB updates that we could do in our driveway.
I'm thinking more like when I Unlock my car with my Remote it knows its me. Tune to my station, put my climate to the temp I like by monitoring the current outside temp not the last set temp. Put my car in SPORT mode, hell even open my roof depending on set temps and be smart enough to know if its rained don't open the roof, we have a RainSense sensor.....

Pandora
[bungee91] Steering wheel controls next button doesn't go to next song (as it does for USB/SD) and when pressed changes to an XM station (in my case). - Intentional?
----------[ewired] We should be able to use the next of the wheel. I feel that if the app can not be controlled via the button, turn that damn button off when Pandora is selected!
[bungee91] When selecting a station under browse, after making a selection it should just go back to the now playing screen without having to press exit in the upper right corner every time (my opinion at least).
----------[ewired] I think I would rather have to exit the screen after selecting the browsed station like it does prior to update. I prefer the way it works now. What if the station you just selected is something you do not like and what to select another one? If the CUE goes to the Now Playing screen you would have to go back to the browse page. Would you rather have to go back to the browse button to reselect a station or being sitting on the browse page? I'll take the way it is now.

Navigation

Climate Control

USB/SD Card
[bungee91] I'd really like the option for a file/folder view somewhere under the browse section.

Voice Command
[bungee91] When asking for a particular artist to play, if the artist isn't an option (meaning I thought I had it on a USB/SD card, but didn't) I think the response should give some sort of feedback of that. Being that Cue can understand what you're saying, maybe a response of "The artist The Who (for example) isn't an option, did you mean ..."?. I just think it would make her sound more like she understood as opposed to me thinking she was wrong, and then looking, and then finding out I'm the idiot and she was correct. Can she read back what you said in her words? So then again "The Who isn't an option, do you mean ..."?

Weather
[bungee91] Have Cue read the weather alerts to you if you choose to "learn more" or access the alerts menu. Trying to read (sometimes) an entire page of a weather alert while driving doesn't seem too forward thinking

See less See more
#2 ·
To be clear I have not received the update yet.
My replies are with my experience before the update.

Ironically my ATS was in for service Thursday and Friday and didn't get the update due to my dealer not receiving the update yet. Shrugs...no biggie but don't understand it either.

My response it to the PANDORA section

1. Pandora did that from the start. I agree with you. We should be able to use the next of the wheel. Bummer to see the update doesn't address this. But I understand the thinking behind it. I feel that if the app can not be controlled via the button, turn that damn button off when Pandora is selected! It sure beats getting booted from Pandora because you pushed the wrong button.

2. Mine does this currently as well. iPhone5 plugged into either USB. Usually have to reopen app and once it see the connected to accessory screen it magically reappears on CUE.

3. I think I would rather have to exit the screen after selecting the browsed station like it does prior to update. I prefer the way it works now. What if the station you just selected is something you do not like and what to select another one? If the CUE goes to the Now Playing screen you would have to go back to the browse page. Would you rather have to go back to the browse button to reselect a station or being sitting on the browse page? I'll take the way it is now.

My take on CUE. Give us the freedom to adjust the programming of what CUE can do. If you did not build this device to be accessible to the programming scenes for the end user, then you should allow us to make personal changes to the USER interface via some type of Service and make that available through USB updates that we could do in our driveway.

I'm thinking more like when I Unlock my car with my Remote it knows its me. Tune to my station, put my climate to the temp I like by monitoring the current outside temp not the last set temp. Put my car in SPORT mode, hell even open my roof depending on set temps and be smart enough to know if its rained don't open the roof, we have a RainSense sensor.....

Edit away

#3 ·
My car came with the update. It's better than the first edition, but still has bugs. For instance, when I get into weather alerts, I cannot get back to my original Nav view without going through the home screen first. Also, yesterday, I used the Nav for a few destinations. One address was not located properly, for which I blame MapQuest/Navtec. After finally finding the correct location, using the maps, I then used the Nav to plot my way home. The audio prompts stopped working, as did all of the other prompts, split screen features, and arrival time feature. I checked in the settings, and audio prompts were turned off. I turned it back on, but still no prompts. No prompts in the DIC or HUD, either. This morning, fortunately, all was back to normal.

A question: when one wants to cancel a route, how do you do it on the screen? I can't find a command for it, except by voice.

#7 ·
It appears that a CUE update takes place at a Cadillac dealership. Is there any mechanism to provide an update via an SD card, USB, or remotely via an Internet connection? I live a good distance away from a dealer and it would be quite a drive including time lost. Can a GM dealer do it? I only live 5 minutes away from a GMC shop. I would hate to have to bring in my PC computer every time it needed an update.

This also holds true for the Premium Maintenance Program.This isn't part of this discussion thread but can that also be done by a GMC dealer? My somewhat local (60 minutes away) Caddy dealer went out of business a couple years back.

#10 ·
It appears that a CUE update takes place at a Cadillac dealership. Is there any mechanism to provide an update via an SD card, USB, or remotely via an Internet connection?
Not currently. All updates for CUE must be done at a dealership. I heard of two future possibilities for the software updates. One being through OnStar, just like sending you directions to your nav, but sending update information. The second being that future versions of these models will have built-in wifi. Therefore not needing a phone for Pandora or a dealership for updates. Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath.

#9 ·
I cannot speak for GM, however I asked this same question, and you must use a Cadillac dealer for your Cadillac Shield maintenance, they must also be the ones that perform the update. The update for your vehicle is related to your VIN, so any recalls will be performed at the same time. You will be getting a full tank of gas, a $50 Visa gift card and a loaner vehical if the updates to your vehicle take longer than a few hours. Again, i am just a customer, but this is what I was told.

#11 ·
FYI, the forum will only let you edit your post for a few days (you're probably close to getting cut off if you haven't already)
... after that you will need a moderator to edit it for you

----------

with respect to having to go to a dealer for the update i think it's a matter of there just being too many ways for things to go wrong

there's probably 1000 dealer employees across the country that got trained (or are getting trained) to do these updates
there's enough that could go wrong as it is

for instance:
one xts that was being programmed overnight got it's battery tender unplugged by someone who didn't know better as they were shutting down the shop at the end of the day
that caused quite the scene in the morning ... dead battery, half installed update, cue that wouldn't boot up...
we had to call GM and get them to tell us how to proceed since that wasn't one of the planned for scenarios that was in the training
imagine the crazy situations people could get themselves into if they did the update themselves

it's more of a quality of service vs convenience trade-off that Cadillac is choosing between
they would rather inconvenience you to come to a dealer for the service (and get it done right)
than make it convenient for you but end up dealing with the myriad scenarios that people would eventually find themselves in
and even then if something goes wrong it wasn't your fault (as the owner) and Cadillac can make it right

i'm the kind of person that would appreciate the convenience factor of doing an update myself
and i could trust myself to follow any directions and get it done right (as i'm sure most people a forum like this would have confidence that they wouldn't mess it up)
but we're not really the typical owner and even there are other 'out of our control'

most people who mess up their PCs don't realize that it was their actions that messed up the PC
they browsed to that website
they were using IE instead of a safer browser
they didn't update windows or their virus protection
they forgot to backup their important data even when there were warning signs of hard drive failure
but they blame the stupid computer, right?

cadillac doesn't want people getting mad or frustrated at all in any interaction with them
so this update process is not as convenient as it could be (knowing the technological possibilities that are available)
but there is much less chance at someone having a bad experience

----------

sorry for the wall of text

#15 ·
My son got a 2012 VW SUV which has digital HD radio. On FM HD stations, the radio shows the logo of the station and when songs are playing, the album artwork is displayed. Could that feature be added to a future update of CUE? Currently CUE shows artwork when one is playing the USB or SD card with MP3 files. The space on the screen is there, it just needs to use the data in the HD stream. I didnt check many radio stations but the one that I saw in Minneapolis that has station logo and artwork is KDWB 101.3.

#16 ·
Thus far since the update the Shuffle is remaining on (as opposed to before the update when I would frequently have to reactivate it). Also it has yet to fail to begin playing my songs from USB stick. Before I would frequently have to remove and replace the usb stick for it to be recognized.

One change I would like to see is for the screen to revert back to whatever it was on before making a phone call. As it is now, after I end a call it stays on the phone screen instead of going back to whatever I was on (either NAV or Audio) before the call.

#17 ·
The question I asked earlier was how to end a route besides by voice. My car doesn't have an "end-route" "button" on the screen that I can find, unlike my previous system on the CTS-V. Apparently, original CUE has it. Has anyone with the update found it? Did it disappear with the update? I hope I'm just not blind, but it's driving me a little nuts, especially when I have arrived at my destination and it doesn't think so.

#70 ·
Hi Mark, the cancel option did not change with the update. You have two ways to cancel the route. The main way is by pressing the Menu button on the touchscreen while in Navigation and it is the first option in the menu. Once you tap that, it will switch over to Resume in case you accidentally canceled or you simply wanted to pause the guidance. If you tap Resume, it'll start the route back up to your last destination.

The second way is using the steering wheel controls. Use the up/down toggle to get into the navigation application, press in the Select button, and then the first option there is to cancel the route. Same as with the touchscreen, you can resume your last destination as well. You can also turn the voice prompts on and off from both of these locations.

Hope that helps!

----------

I would like for the CUE team to come up with a generic list of words that CUTie understands to help cut to the chase without having to try thirty words or more to get a usable response. I can finally get a usable response but I cannot remember the exact word I used several weeks later. Just recently I was approaching the Atlanta airport at about 10:30 pm to pick up my daughter when the low fuel light in my SRX came on. The airport area is devoid of any gas stations and the area around it is very dangerous at night.I needed to know which way to go and which road to take for the shortest distance. I tried "Gas station", "Fuel" and eventually got the list on the center screen to choose from. But the point is that I didn't have a clue which one would be the right one to get CUE to respond with an answer. I know all of you have had similar experiences and since CUE does not "Learn" any commands then it would be helpful if we had a list of CUE words, such as "Gas", "Food", etc that would trigger a usable response in a short amount of time. I truly want the CUE system vocal to work for my wife and me but just cannot seem to be able to get it to work consistently. Maybe we are not doing it correctly? My wife tried the "Call XXXXX" command but got the "Pardon" response over and over again. I told her to say "Contacts" first but that was of no use to her after the fact. There has to be a protocol for this thing somewhere. Any ideas?
Hi Rudy, I believe your CUE manual should have a set of commands that work with the system. I just took a look at it again to make sure and it has those shortcut commands listed around pages 83-87. So, at a high level, you can use natural language for Audio and Phone commands. "Call XXXXX" should work right off the bat without problems, but if your phone is not paired or you are saying maybe the first name for a person that has both a first and last name in your phonebook, then it might run into difficulty. For example, if you have John Smith in your phonebook and you just say "Call John" it will try to match only John and may match it to another name that sounds similar to John. The other thing to check out is if your phone contacts are being downloaded into CUE. When you wife is in the vehicle and her phone is paired, check the phone application on the touchscreen to make sure her contacts are loaded. My Android phone, for example, requires me to authorize my contacts to be transferred to the car, and if I don't do this, then none of those names will be transferred, and voice recognition won't be able to understand me.

Now, for the navigation commands you were looking for, "Places of Interest" or "P O I" would work to get you to the menu where you can then say Gas Station or Fuel - either will work.

As a tip to help you, the display in your gauge cluster will give you commands that you can say when you might be confused about what to say. For example when you first start speech recognition, you can say an audio or phone command, or if you'd like more help on what you can do, you can just say Phone Commands, or Audio Commands, or Navigation Commands. She will then take you to the next screen where you will get an additional list of commands that you can say. So, while you are learning the system, this is a very good way to get familiar with the commands that you can say. Then, once you have those commands memorized, you can start saying them right away when you get into speaking with her, rather than doing the step-by-step approach. But, giving the CUE manual a read-through, particularly the voice recognition section, would probably also help to understand what the things are that you can say and then when you are in the car it will probably be easier to remember them again.

#18 ·
Hello, I see people saying that album art displays for them after the update, but mine still does not. I've loaded a USB stick with iTunes formatted and mp3 music, and all I see are the musical notes. Am I missing something? The only time I see album art is while playing Pandora. Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

#19 ·
If the album art is embedded in the ID3 tag, Cue will display it. It is possible yours isn't embedded currently, however you can fix that by using many different ID3 editing programs, like Tag & rename or many other programs.

----------

Also I believe the iTunes based songs won't display the cover art, or so I've read anyways. Someone else may have more info on that, I don't have an iTunes library.

#23 ·
Yes, multiple times when making or receiving calls, it stays on the phone screen after ending the call and does not go back to the previous screen (in my case either the audio screen or the nav screen). Still having flawless playback from my usb stick... very happy with that change!!!

#26 · (Edited)
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
I too have noticed that the screen does NOT revert back to the pre-call page. That would be a nice feature but it wasn't in the latest update. I have had to re-pair my cell phone twice since the installation. It will be fine for one or two trips and then will not connect. Today after answering an incoming call the screen did revert back to the NAV screen after the call was ended. Maybe if you initiate the call from your screen it won't revert back but with an incoming call it did just what I would have designed it to do! One issue that my wife found puzzling was when you make a call and it connects and you are given a choice of future buttons to push as in an extension after your reached number we had to push the duplicate chevrons on the lower right side of the screen to get the push pad again or reach for your cell phone. It was chevrons push, phone ico push and then the button pad was available.

#27 ·
One issue that remains after in the new version is regarding the "Cruise Set To" mini-page on the DIC. On some cars.... this "Cruise Set To" mini page is set on the right side of your DIC, overwriting any page setting (e.g., fuel mileage) you had there before. The problem arises when the cruise is then turned off.... the "Cruise Set To Off" page remains on the right side of the DIC and you have to manually reset the page to your setting.

I think this has something to do with the HUD because when I was given a 3.6 Luxury with Nav as a loaner, it didn't have this issue... but my car does it everytime.

#28 ·
I think that considering all of the different models of cars that we all represent there are probably issues that we all do not share. Plus the options that some of us have on the same models and others do not will make direct comparisons difficult. I am happy with the fact that GM has taken steps to keep CUE up to date with some of the wishes of the owners. If we keep letting them know what features we would like and problems we are having with the current version maybe they will give us more updates. As Codeman said they had round table discussions to decide which features to leave alone or change. We have all been with a group trying to decide where to eat so we all know how different opinions are and how tough it is to decide which ones to support. Keep at it Codeman!

#47 ·
caitiex, did you take your car back to the dealer to have this issues fixed.

I picked up my 2013 SRX yesterday which came with CUE update from the factory. It has the same problem as yours with memory seats. I would appreciate if you can post back if you find any info. I am planning to take mine to the dealer on Tuesday and I will provide an update.

Thanks.

#31 ·
From my experience I believe the update changes the way they are saved. There are two ways to save a seat depending on your vehicle. The update, for some reason, switched the way you program a memory seat. Try both these methods to see which works for your vehicle:

1.Set your seat to the position you want then press the set button once, and immediately after, press and hold the number you want to save it to and wait for the beep. (Approx. 2 seconds).
2.Set your seat to the position you want then press and hold the set button and the number you want to save it to simultaneously and wait for the beep.

If neither method works, then call your dealership.

#32 ·
I suppose the biggest ongoing annoyance for me is the shuffle feature.

....not the fact that exists, but that everytime I get into the vehicle I have to turn it on.

Many people don't want to hear their music alphabetically. And, many people don't want to constantly have to hit shuffle "on" if their preference is for shuffling

I suppose it would be nice to be able to set the shuffle once and forget about it.

#33 ·
The shuffle staying on has been working reliably for me, so I wonder if you're the only one having the issue (or if I just haven't noticed yet?)?
I do have a problem with shuffle however that if you have songs with symbols prior to the name, it will at times get stuck only on those songs and not skip to the next track.

An example would be: I have about 500 songs on shuffle (I go to the songs list at the bottom and select any one, therefore playing everything) I have 2 songs in that list that are titled "*Fin" and "'Tell That Mick..." one starts with a * and the other starts with a '.
At times when going to the next track it plays one of these 2 songs, and then it gets stuck on these 2 songs indefinitely. So hitting next goes to the opposite song, and next again goes back to that previous song.

This also happens quite often when first getting back into my car. It'll resume my current song fine, however the next song played will be one of those (*Fin, or 'Tell that Mick...) and it will be stuck on those two until I go back to the songs list at the bottom and select another song in order to have it play all of them again.

I'd assume this problem would happen to everyone if they have certain symbols in the beginning of the track name, however a symbol of [ or ( doesn't seem to have this problem (as I have tracks like that and it has never got stuck on them).
I'm using both an SD card and a USB flash drive, playing music under the "my media library" source input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.