Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cue Improvement(s)/Problems/Suggestions - March Release (New Version)

28K views 123 replies 34 participants last post by  pissedoffwookiee 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a new thread that focused primarily on the new version of Cue that everyone should be getting soon or have received lately.
The old thread titled "Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread" has gotten very large and also a lot of the problems people talk about have been fixed in this new release!
As you know it is more common to talk about problems than to give praise, however I do want to say the update is vastly better than it was prior to, and to give some positive feedback/kudos to the team and also Codeman for taking the time to listen and use our feedback to make Cue overall better.

EDIT, apparently this forum only allows editing for a couple of days, so once that happens I won't be able to edit this post. I don't know why that's the case as I think it is a really stupid policy!

I'd REALLY like to make this first post list the problems people have had, for easy accessibility to all who comes to read it. With that in mind I'd like to edit this post and add (with your name next to it) your comments where appropriate. Therefore ideas and such don't get buried under pages and pages of comments (some will certainly not be helpful comments also...LOL). This will then be easier to read by all, and have a lot of information easily accessible (it is my hope anyway).
I don't have a lot of issues that I've noticed so far, and hopefully the list will remain small.

*If my editing of what you've stated isn't to your liking, please let me know. I'm trying to make things concise and clear, but I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way

ATS Current version #'s for reference (from my car at least, with all known updates)
Software Version: 23150273
Gracenote: 22993544
Map: 22993553

Problems

General

Pandora
[bungee91] Still getting "Check connected device" at times. The only way to fix this seems to be to reboot the phone and then go to another source and then back to Pandora. This is over Bluetooth with a Nexus 4 on Android 4.2.2. I believe it to be an issue with the phone going into accessory mode, as a restart and a toggle fixes it.
----------(ewired) Mine does this currently as well. iPhone5 plugged into either USB. Usually have to reopen app and once it see the connected to accessory screen it magically reappears on CUE.

Navigation
[marktanner] (while using nav to a destination) The audio prompts stopped working, as did all of the other prompts, split screen features, and arrival time feature. I checked in the settings, and audio prompts were turned off. I turned it back on, but still no prompts. No prompts in the DIC or HUD, either. This morning, fortunately, all was back to normal.
[marktanner] I used the Nav for a few destinations. One address was not located properly, for which I blame MapQuest/Navtec.

Climate Control
[bungee91] Heat setting seems to un-"sync" at times when I start the car, and I swear I had it synced prior to, however when I go to the climate control it has both zones at different temperatures. - I'll watch this to see if I'm not just crazy

USB/SD Card

Voice Command

Weather
[marktanner] when I get into weather alerts, I cannot get back to my original Nav view without going through the home screen first.

Suggestions/Improvements

General
[bungee91] Can the new startup sound on Cue be selectable on/off under settings? It is cool at first, but annoying at other times, an option would be appreciated.
**********[codeman71] Yes there is a setting for this. In Settings, choose Radio. Then select Audio Cue Volume. If you turn it off here you shouldn't get those sounds any more
[ewired] My take on CUE. Give us the freedom to adjust the programming of what CUE can do. If you did not build this device to be accessible to the programming scenes for the end user, then you should allow us to make personal changes to the USER interface via some type of Service and make that available through USB updates that we could do in our driveway.
I'm thinking more like when I Unlock my car with my Remote it knows its me. Tune to my station, put my climate to the temp I like by monitoring the current outside temp not the last set temp. Put my car in SPORT mode, hell even open my roof depending on set temps and be smart enough to know if its rained don't open the roof, we have a RainSense sensor.....

Pandora
[bungee91] Steering wheel controls next button doesn't go to next song (as it does for USB/SD) and when pressed changes to an XM station (in my case). - Intentional?
----------[ewired] We should be able to use the next of the wheel. I feel that if the app can not be controlled via the button, turn that damn button off when Pandora is selected!
[bungee91] When selecting a station under browse, after making a selection it should just go back to the now playing screen without having to press exit in the upper right corner every time (my opinion at least).
----------[ewired] I think I would rather have to exit the screen after selecting the browsed station like it does prior to update. I prefer the way it works now. What if the station you just selected is something you do not like and what to select another one? If the CUE goes to the Now Playing screen you would have to go back to the browse page. Would you rather have to go back to the browse button to reselect a station or being sitting on the browse page? I'll take the way it is now.

Navigation

Climate Control

USB/SD Card
[bungee91] I'd really like the option for a file/folder view somewhere under the browse section.

Voice Command
[bungee91] When asking for a particular artist to play, if the artist isn't an option (meaning I thought I had it on a USB/SD card, but didn't) I think the response should give some sort of feedback of that. Being that Cue can understand what you're saying, maybe a response of "The artist The Who (for example) isn't an option, did you mean ..."?. I just think it would make her sound more like she understood as opposed to me thinking she was wrong, and then looking, and then finding out I'm the idiot and she was correct. Can she read back what you said in her words? So then again "The Who isn't an option, do you mean ..."?

Weather
[bungee91] Have Cue read the weather alerts to you if you choose to "learn more" or access the alerts menu. Trying to read (sometimes) an entire page of a weather alert while driving doesn't seem too forward thinking

See less See more
#89 ·
Can't read all the posts, so I'll just put in my pet peeve. What was Caddy thinking of when they removed Driver Personalization with the recent CUE update? Now only one driver can set their seat to automatically position itself when the driver either enters the car or when they start the ignition. The other driver will need to hold their seat button until the seat fully moves into their desired position. No more automatic movement for the other driver. Why is the second driver being dissed? What a blunder on Caddy's part. Hope folks will note this and complain so that Caddy will put this very important function back into CUE.

#92 ·
Hi Chris, I looked at your #52 post and have some questions.

1. You have the seat set all the way back on #2 while exiting the car. Then you say when unlocking the car, if the seat moves back... If the seat is all the way back on exiting, how can it move further back when re-entering?

2. Also, I have my Vehicle set to move seats into position when the door is opened (don't prefer seats moving with ignition), will you test still work under this configuration.

3. And lastly, assuming you've had the CUE update, have you been able to set two seats to position automatically when either the door is opened or when the ignition is turned on? This is the goal I'm trying to achieve, although I think it won't happen after the removal of Driver Personalization from CUE.

#94 ·
Let me try and clarify it a little better.

(Post-Update)
Sit in the driver seat and start the vehicle. Look at the touchscreen. From the Home Page. Choose Settings. Scroll to Vehicle Settings. Select Comfort and Convenience. Select Auto Memory Recall. Choose your selection of Door Open or Ignition On. For my example I will choose ignition on. Then, move the driver seat all the way forward and save it as #1. Move the seat all the way back and save it as #2. Move the seat forward to somehwere in the middle. Shut the car off. Open the driver door. Get out and lock the doors with your remote. Unlock the door with your remote. Start the vehicle. If the seat moves forward, you are using key #1. If the seat moves back, you are using key #2.

Now, save your seat/steering wheel/mirrors (depending on model and package) to the whichever #key you have.

If you have the seats set to recall on door open, then your seat would move when you open the door.
IMHO, this would defeat the purpose of easy exit options because the seat would move before ever getting in the car.
You can program seats at any time (assuming your battery is not dead).

I suggest calling the CUE hotline for help. They really are helpful. Best of Luck!

#95 ·
Thanks. Yeah, the part about moving the seat to a middle position before exiting, was missing. Also, as for obviating the Exit option, in my case that is not a problem. My drive position is equivalent to my exit position. I did speak to CUE a few days ago, and to my chagrin, I learned that only one seat button can be automatically programmed post up-date. That's why I asked if after you sorted out the 1 and 2 fobs, could you now program both seats to automatically respond to fobs' 1 and 2 enter positions when entering, or in your case, when the ignition was turned on.

#96 · (Edited)
Now I fully understand. That is a good question. Since you have an ATS, I am going to try it out for myself and find out. Check back later today for an answer.

Okay, I tried this is an SRX and it did not remember both positions. BUT, I used an ATS Luxury Manual 2.0T and it did work. I set memory position #1 all the way forward, and memory position #2 all the way back. I unlocked and started the vehicle with key #2 and the seat moved back to position #2. I then turned the vehicle off, exited and locked the vehicle. Unlocked the vehicle and started it with key #1 and the seat moved all the way forward to position #1. I call this myth BUSTED! Your ATS if equipped equally, which it should be close since they are both Luxury Collection, should be able to recognize which key is used to enter and start the vehicle. I wonder if the SRX did not recognize this because it does not have the easy exit option. Just a thought.

#98 ·
Here's the solution - SOLVED

First time I spoke to CUE about this, I was told that after the update, only one seat could be set automatically. However, this was only partially true, as I learned after speaking to CUE a second time. After updating CUE the techs are supposed to reset the seat module. Obviously, those of us who don't have two automatic seats after the update, never had a tech complete the job. CUE called my dealer, told them the problem, the fix, and made an appointment to have the seats automated. There is a Tech Bulletin describing the issue and the fix. Its title goes something like this: "Seat memory (can't read my writing) module reprogram service update supplement for the ATS, only," and should be available to the dealers.

#106 ·
Of course there is a learning curve for using various CUE functions. But those aside, the nav system software is clumsy&if you are close to the destination you seek, better use your hand held because there are so many steps, you will be passed your intended destination prior to getting needed info. Using the voice prompts is just a joke. The system does not understand much and has very few points of interest. Then, even with a close point of interest, if you don't have the name of the municipality, you won't be getting anything from this. Same for finding an intersection. If it is rural and you don't know what city,township,municipality it is in-forget it because you will not get info. We defer to Garmin handheld continually because of this very poor operating system. Our new (2013)SRX has been given the update according to both dealer and Cadillac. I really like this SRX, its my 2nd one, but I'm embarrassed for Cadillac putting out such a shoddy product. I will only buy an American marque and really hate to leave all I like about the SRX but this very poorly designed system has me disturbed.

#108 ·
Dunno if I'm just doing it wrong, but my phone (Android 4.1) has an option to pick which groups of contacts to display, but CUE doesn't honor the choice and I can't find a way to tell it to do so.

For instance, I've got 20 or so "real" contacts stored on the phone that I entered, and the Facebook app imported a couple hundred more from my Facebook friends list. Now, some of those people I might want to call some time, but I really don't need to see them in my contacts list all the time. The phone lets me chose to not see them until/unless I need to do so. CUE, however, imports *all* of my contacts.

#109 ·
I hear all of the complaints about CUE not playing/displaying all of the hundreds of contacts or songs that the owners have but to me that is secondary to the basic failure of the CUE system itself. I have given up completely on the voice commands and the NAV is so slow and ponderous in a large city if any correction or change is made that it is almost useless. I have grown accustomed to the center stack and no longer hate it but accept is as a slower cousin requiring extra attention to accomplish what other makes can do in one stroke or setting. For instance I just saw a Lexus commercial where the temp control is a round knob with the temp desired is a digital readout in the center of the knob. One turn and the temp is set. No looking and holding a virtual button for twenty seconds and then having to re-touch it after an overshoot to get the desired temp.I appreciate the favorites menu and have learned to bring up my favorites with only two or three attempts. I appreciate that I can blend favorites from many different sources on the same page unlike some other units. But this thing is not up to Cadillac standards and I figure it will be greatly modified in the near future and we will not be a part of that change. I expect that it will be a software and a hardware mod that will not be compatible with our models. I still love my SRX but can only wonder what it would be like with another system in the place of CUE.

#111 ·
Even though I have checked with dealer on my CUE update and found it came with the update, I still have not shown the poorly operating system, especially the voice operations to a Cadillac CUE technician. Perhaps some tuning could be part of the problem. But, the whole nav system software is old, like you would buy in a 49 dollar handheld 7 or 8 yrs ago. And a system designed so that the drive must get very involved in heating, air, navigation is unsafe. It is not just me, the "big" car mags like Motor Trend and Car&Driver both question the safe operation of vehicles with CUE. I wonder if there will be lawsuits that will ultimately drop the value of CUE equipped vehicles. This could be a disaster for Cadillac and I hope they are secretly addressing this. I like the Cadillac brand and my new SRX aside from this. A few years ago I decided, no more Audis&Lexus I want to support car mfg in USA. This has been a bit painful. So, I hope Cadillac comes to their senses on this issue.

One more note-any contacts I have had on-line with Cadillac have simple been "did you get the update?" (mine came with it) "we are sorry for your inconvenience". This seems like pretty lame customer service. My hope is that they can't say yet what Cadillac is doing about the terrible CUE design because news would disrupt sales. It makes me uncomfortable to see CUE advertised as a plus!

#112 ·
My hope is that they can't say yet what Cadillac is doing about the terrible CUE design because news would disrupt sales. It makes me uncomfortable to see CUE advertised as a plus!
I met with Cadillac engineers exactly a year ago over these problems.

They took lots of notes. Showed Interest. No improvements were made since other than a single update in February/March 2013 that was already in progress.

#113 · (Edited)
There is another update after March 2013, I have it on my 2013 SRX (they put it on earlier this month because of issues with the Nav rebooting to see if it would help). Seems a little better tho I don't know if it addresses any of your specific issues. I can tell you that in my experience it seems a little more responsive, VR is more accurate, navigation scrolling/screen changes seem smoother, the nav search/entry screen seems less laggy, and I get fewer "device is initializing" messages.

But they haven't made it generally available for updates, let alone with a change log. I doubt it is easy to get them to update it, but if you whined enough to your dealer about your issues, perhaps they would put it on for you. Software version is 23427521 vs the March 2013 update which is 23150273.

23427521 also seems to be the version the MY 2014 models are being shipped with (a poster in this forum reported his new ATS that he took delivery on in December had that version of CUE on it).

#115 ·
Thanks for the numbers and info. It was only a few weeks ago that my vehicle number was run by the dealer and showed my car came with the latest software upgrade. But it sounds like there may be the "other version". My dealer service manager told me only one rep from each dealer is trained on actual CUE operations problems. I have not discussed any problems with him, only because he has not been around when I have been in for service. Thanks again for something to ask about.

#116 ·
As a long time GM customer, (over 30 GM vehicles), my ATS being my 2nd Cadillac, it is disappointing that GM has not stepped up more to assist customers on all these issues. My ATS has 26K miles in less than a year and all your issues reported here are spot on. This system has many inherent flaws as you all have described, but GM for the most part seems to be almost turning a blind eye. This ATS is a very well designed and fun car to drive, but it is clearly obvious that GM did not do a very good job of user acceptance testing on the CUE system. Let's hope the new CEO hears some of this and we start seeing much better support.

GM, are you listening to your customers here...??

#117 ·
GM did listen to my concerns....but then again, I raised a lot of noise across the Internet very early on when the system was first being introduced into vehicles.

Their executive team came to my dealership. They saw the problems first-hand that I was having with my Android phone interacting with their system.

They sat in my vehicle for a good hour and took lots of notes.

For that, I am very grateful to GM.

However...

In the year that has passed since, I have not seen any improvements in this system. I will say this over and over again until I am blue in the face --- you cannot have a system that only temporarily stores phone contacts and songs and constantly has to reindex that information every time you enter and exit the vehicle.

What other vehicle system out there does such a thing? And why did CUE have to attempt to fix something that wasn't broke within the auto entertainment industry?

The CUE system has really brought down the Cadillac brand in my eyes. And, apparently, according to posts I continue to read here (and from my own experiences), there have been no major revisions made to improve upon all the initial problems that exist.

If you want action, I would suggest making a lot of noise like I did. Write letters to GM. Post your issues across several internet forums. Get the attention of GM.....

....and I don't say any of this to try and spite GM. They were pretty darn good to me in responding to my complaints. However, I am just rather surprised that a year later we are still dealing with these issues. Personally, when my lease is up next year, I am switching over to a Lincoln as I have had very good experiences with their Ford Sync technology when I have rented their vehicles while on vacation.

#118 · (Edited)
Their executive team came to my dealership. They saw the problems first-hand that I was having with my Android phone interacting with their system.

They sat in my vehicle for a good hour and took lots of notes.

For that, I am very grateful to GM.

However...

In the year that has passed since, I have not seen any improvements in this system.
I'm not understanding what you are grateful about. It sounds like all they did was make a bad situation worse by wasting your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.