Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cue Improvement(s)/Problems/Suggestions - March Release (New Version)

28K views 123 replies 34 participants last post by  pissedoffwookiee 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a new thread that focused primarily on the new version of Cue that everyone should be getting soon or have received lately.
The old thread titled "Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread" has gotten very large and also a lot of the problems people talk about have been fixed in this new release!
As you know it is more common to talk about problems than to give praise, however I do want to say the update is vastly better than it was prior to, and to give some positive feedback/kudos to the team and also Codeman for taking the time to listen and use our feedback to make Cue overall better.

EDIT, apparently this forum only allows editing for a couple of days, so once that happens I won't be able to edit this post. I don't know why that's the case as I think it is a really stupid policy!

I'd REALLY like to make this first post list the problems people have had, for easy accessibility to all who comes to read it. With that in mind I'd like to edit this post and add (with your name next to it) your comments where appropriate. Therefore ideas and such don't get buried under pages and pages of comments (some will certainly not be helpful comments also...LOL). This will then be easier to read by all, and have a lot of information easily accessible (it is my hope anyway).
I don't have a lot of issues that I've noticed so far, and hopefully the list will remain small.

*If my editing of what you've stated isn't to your liking, please let me know. I'm trying to make things concise and clear, but I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way

ATS Current version #'s for reference (from my car at least, with all known updates)
Software Version: 23150273
Gracenote: 22993544
Map: 22993553

Problems

General

Pandora
[bungee91] Still getting "Check connected device" at times. The only way to fix this seems to be to reboot the phone and then go to another source and then back to Pandora. This is over Bluetooth with a Nexus 4 on Android 4.2.2. I believe it to be an issue with the phone going into accessory mode, as a restart and a toggle fixes it.
----------(ewired) Mine does this currently as well. iPhone5 plugged into either USB. Usually have to reopen app and once it see the connected to accessory screen it magically reappears on CUE.

Navigation
[marktanner] (while using nav to a destination) The audio prompts stopped working, as did all of the other prompts, split screen features, and arrival time feature. I checked in the settings, and audio prompts were turned off. I turned it back on, but still no prompts. No prompts in the DIC or HUD, either. This morning, fortunately, all was back to normal.
[marktanner] I used the Nav for a few destinations. One address was not located properly, for which I blame MapQuest/Navtec.

Climate Control
[bungee91] Heat setting seems to un-"sync" at times when I start the car, and I swear I had it synced prior to, however when I go to the climate control it has both zones at different temperatures. - I'll watch this to see if I'm not just crazy

USB/SD Card

Voice Command

Weather
[marktanner] when I get into weather alerts, I cannot get back to my original Nav view without going through the home screen first.

Suggestions/Improvements

General
[bungee91] Can the new startup sound on Cue be selectable on/off under settings? It is cool at first, but annoying at other times, an option would be appreciated.
**********[codeman71] Yes there is a setting for this. In Settings, choose Radio. Then select Audio Cue Volume. If you turn it off here you shouldn't get those sounds any more
[ewired] My take on CUE. Give us the freedom to adjust the programming of what CUE can do. If you did not build this device to be accessible to the programming scenes for the end user, then you should allow us to make personal changes to the USER interface via some type of Service and make that available through USB updates that we could do in our driveway.
I'm thinking more like when I Unlock my car with my Remote it knows its me. Tune to my station, put my climate to the temp I like by monitoring the current outside temp not the last set temp. Put my car in SPORT mode, hell even open my roof depending on set temps and be smart enough to know if its rained don't open the roof, we have a RainSense sensor.....

Pandora
[bungee91] Steering wheel controls next button doesn't go to next song (as it does for USB/SD) and when pressed changes to an XM station (in my case). - Intentional?
----------[ewired] We should be able to use the next of the wheel. I feel that if the app can not be controlled via the button, turn that damn button off when Pandora is selected!
[bungee91] When selecting a station under browse, after making a selection it should just go back to the now playing screen without having to press exit in the upper right corner every time (my opinion at least).
----------[ewired] I think I would rather have to exit the screen after selecting the browsed station like it does prior to update. I prefer the way it works now. What if the station you just selected is something you do not like and what to select another one? If the CUE goes to the Now Playing screen you would have to go back to the browse page. Would you rather have to go back to the browse button to reselect a station or being sitting on the browse page? I'll take the way it is now.

Navigation

Climate Control

USB/SD Card
[bungee91] I'd really like the option for a file/folder view somewhere under the browse section.

Voice Command
[bungee91] When asking for a particular artist to play, if the artist isn't an option (meaning I thought I had it on a USB/SD card, but didn't) I think the response should give some sort of feedback of that. Being that Cue can understand what you're saying, maybe a response of "The artist The Who (for example) isn't an option, did you mean ..."?. I just think it would make her sound more like she understood as opposed to me thinking she was wrong, and then looking, and then finding out I'm the idiot and she was correct. Can she read back what you said in her words? So then again "The Who isn't an option, do you mean ..."?

Weather
[bungee91] Have Cue read the weather alerts to you if you choose to "learn more" or access the alerts menu. Trying to read (sometimes) an entire page of a weather alert while driving doesn't seem too forward thinking

See less See more
#41 ·
Perhaps you need to go back to your dealership and have them download your update once again....you probably experience a download "hiccup".....my biggest complaint was about the shuffle not staying on, but I along with the majority of others on this forum can confirm that the update fixed that! Exiting or restarting the car should not cancel it. :yup:

#46 ·
Another feature that I would like to see is an improved Speed Warning. Currently the setting is warn if speed exceeds XX mph. I doubt anyone uses this. Since the speed limit is displayed as part of navigation, the warning would be useful is you could set it to warn if you were exceeding the speed limit by xx mph. This would be a feature lots of us would use.

#52 ·
I don't get the beep to confirm the programming was successful in either method. Appreciate your reconfirming though.

The CUE guy at my dealership explained that before the update the car just remembered the last remote. With the update now it recognizes the remote you are carrying and uses the settings that are tied to this remote. Is it possible that you are saving the settings to remote 2 but carrying remote 1?

This is just a guess
In this case I was trying to program the seat buttons 1 & 2; not the remote key fobs. But thanks anyway for explanation about new update works differently for key fobs as well. I needed that informntion too.

#51 ·
The CUE guy at my dealership explained that before the update the car just remembered the last remote. With the update now it recognizes the remote you are carrying and uses the settings that are tied to this remote. Is it possible that you are saving the settings to remote 2 but carrying remote 1?

This is just a guess

#55 ·
The fobs are automatically programmed 1 or 2. To test which key you are using. Set the seat all the way forward and save it as 1 and then move it all the way back and save it as 2. Then turn the vehicle off and get out and lock the doors. Use the fob to unlock the vehicle. If the seat moves all the way forward you have key 1, if it moves all the way back you have key 2. ****YOU MUST HAVE YOUR SETTINGS SET APPROPRIATELY! Under Vehicle settings you can have the auto memory seats to move to saved position on key unlock or on ignition. I suggest ignition so that you can still have your easy exit option where your seat moves back to get in and out of the vehicle.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

#59 ·
Just got a new ATS, how can I tell if CUE has been updated. The dealer said yes, but I still would like to check it out.
also, you can run your VIN at any dealership and have them check for open campaigns and recalls and if it hasn't been done it will show up highlighted and listed as "open"

if you want to email me your vin I can email you back the pdf

#60 ·
That's only correct if you had an older model. Mine (Platinum built Jan 10/2013) had the snowflake for the climate control already before this big CUE update. To really confirm the update, and I am quoting this from the Cue update Document given to the dealers - "....from the Home Page, press Settings >Software Information and check the current software part number. If the part number is 23150273 for Navigation vehicles or 23150271 for non-navigation vehicles, the update was successful." That document also states that the update is for the ATS, SRS and XTS, hence no difference as to software part number.

#61 ·
Music play delay/pause at startup

I thought one of the fixes of this update was to improve music indexing/caching etc but my SRX does not seem so.

When I start the vehicle, it takes about 30 seconds to play the song that was on in the previous ignition cycle. Even more annoying is that it does not play the song continuously - pauses 10-15 seconds after playing a small part and then pauses again. This pattern goes on for about 3-4 times before the normaly playing resumes.

Does anyone else have this issue. My SRX came with the March update from factory with Software/Gracenote/Map versions 23150273/22993544/23152950 respectively. Any tips or thought? Thanks!

#63 ·
Re: Music play delay/pause at startup

I thought one of the fixes of this update was to improve music indexing/caching etc but my SRX does not seem so.

When I start the vehicle, it takes about 30 seconds to play the song that was on in the previous ignition cycle. Even more annoying is that it does not play the song continuously - pauses 10-15 seconds after playing a small part and then pauses again. This pattern goes on for about 3-4 times before the normaly playing resumes.

Does anyone else have this issue. My SRX came with the March update from factory with Software/Gracenote/Map versions 23150273/22993544/23152950 respectively. Any tips or thought? Thanks!
I have had just the opposite effect after the update. The song that was playing prior to shutdown begins playing within 2 - 3 seconds without interruptions. Also, since the update the shuffle play has remained on without having to repeatedly turn it back on from one ignition cycle to the next.

#64 ·
Re: Music play delay/pause at startup

Thanks! Will do that.

I have had just the opposite effect after the update. The song that was playing prior to shutdown begins playing within 2 - 3 seconds without interruptions. Also, since the update the shuffle play has remained on without having to repeatedly turn it back on from one ignition cycle to the next.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know it's working for you . In my case, I have no experience with pre-update CUE.

#65 ·
As to various comments under "Music play delay/pause at startup", I have noted the following - pre- and post update: shuffle play always stayed on, except if I had removed the SD card for whatever reason. Then shuffle was off and I had to turn it on again. Also recently after various changes to the SD card, additional songs, changed playlists, CUE was trying to use the previously indexed info (as it always does while creating a new index - voice control of music doesn't work while still indexing but manual selection works. This time I didn't touch anything knowing I had made material changes to the SD card). CUE certainly seemed quite confused. Screen went quite fast from song to song without music and stalled as well - stopped on a song but no music. There was even some noise in CUE - don't know what kind of hard drive is in there but it sounded like a hard drive was stuttering. But after a while music started even so indexing wasn't fully finished. Once indexing was finished all was fine. Now starting the car it takes 15 to 30 seconds and music starts to play where it left off. Not sure how well if remembers songs played while in shuffle mode, as when re-starting car, it does sometimes play a song which it played some 5 to 15 songs back at the last run of the car, so perhaps it starts fresh with each start of the engine.

#66 ·
As to various comments under "Music play delay/pause at startup", I have noted the following - pre- and post update: shuffle play always stayed on, except if I had removed the SD card for whatever reason. Then shuffle was off and I had to turn it on again. Also recently after various changes to the SD card, additional songs, changed playlists, CUE was trying to use the previously indexed info (as it always does while creating a new index - voice control of music doesn't work while still indexing but manual selection works. This time I didn't touch anything knowing I had made material changes to the SD card). CUE certainly seemed quite confused. Screen went quite fast from song to song without music and stalled as well - stopped on a song but no music. There was even some noise in CUE - don't know what kind of hard drive is in there but it sounded like a hard drive was stuttering. But after a while music started even so indexing wasn't fully finished. Once indexing was finished all was fine. Now starting the car it takes 15 to 30 seconds and music starts to play where it left off. Not sure how well if remembers songs played while in shuffle mode, as when re-starting car, it does sometimes play a song which it played some 5 to 15 songs back at the last run of the car, so perhaps it starts fresh with each start of the engine.
In my case, I have not removed the SD card since it was inserted a week ago so the contents have remained unchanged. That should be more than sufficient for indexing. Also, I have not used the shuffle feature - just playing the songs sequentially in a playlist or by artist.

Planning to call the CUE Hotline this evening and will report back with what they have to say.

#71 ·
Thanks Codeman, I am like most people in that once I get to where I can operate the basic system I forget about the manual. My wife was asking if there was a list she could postit on the DIC that had the commands for her to initiate the conversation. I'll try to make her a list from the manual tonight. I did not ask her about her Iphone contact list to see if it had transferred to CUE or not. I will bring that up as well. Others have mentioned the big screen not going back to the last used mode after a phone call. Mine does go back if I received the call but not if I made the call.

#75 ·
@ vi2k13. I hope they will make further improvements. BTW. Today while in Hamilton I run into a problem with voice control. Wouldn't come on while driving on the highway, no matter how often I pressed the button. Used the other button for OnStar to bounce this of them. They called in a expert who then said he couldn't help as I was a Canadian. He said he would transfer but some 10 minutes later the call ended. I tried again stating at the outset I needed to talk to a Canadian expert. Took a while to transfer. After explaining that the voice control button on the steering wheel didn't work, I was put on hold for about 10 minutes. By that time I had pulled over to the side and shut off the car, to be able to concentrate on the problem. Then I was asked if I had the manual, Yes, I said and I was referred to the page which outlined the button on the ceiling for calling OnStar. Said I used that to talk to you and after all we are talking, no problem with that button at all. I then gave up, thanked him and told him I would see the dealership which by that time was only some 10 km from where I was. Went there, and they were very concerned (as was I, given I had that problem with my STS, which they well remembered, where the button would only work intermittently. They replaced everything, button, board, even the total unit, took the steering wheel apart, you name it, a few parts replaced twice. Had even left the car for three weeks with the Manager of the special outfit looking after such repairs while I was on holidays. He certainly confirmed the problem and had even discussed it at length with the designers of the system. Cadillac eventually gave up on it - not repairable and I lived with that. Well, after getting to the dealer to-day for making an appointment with those who look after CUE issues, I though, that this time I actually left the car, perhaps restarting it (tried that when on the highway, but I hadn't actually left the car) would fix it. It didn't initially but after 2 minutes, it finally worked again. So I'm keeping my eye on it. If I run into the same problem as with my STS and it can't be fixed, this time the car goes back.

#76 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can only imagine that your STS was out of warranty otherwise I would imagine that you would have demanded that it be fixed. This is another reason to buy extended insurance on these highly automated and computer controlled cars. I would urge all of you who plan on keeping your Cadillac beyond the warranty period to look into the factory warranty program. I simply cannot understand how any man made product would be unfixable.

#79 ·
@ inspectorudy & v12k13 Yes the 2003 STS was something else, I liked that car, but when starting the car Voice Control would either engage always until shutting off the car, or it would never engage until shutoff. About a 50/50 chance. This was from the beginning and I did had extended warranties. Trying to correct it went on for a couple of years and must have cost thousands. I kept pointing at the ignition saying starting the car either initialized the voice control or not when turning the key, but was told by various expert (including the second hand feedback from the "developers" that could not be the problem, well the did take the Steering column apart once. Apparently, mine was the only car which had that problem. And yes, Rudy, I agree with you any manmade product should be fixable. Cadillac eventually offered an unspecified discount to buy a newer model. Never could nail them down on the discount issue and given the big drop in re-sale value and since I otherwise loved that car, I finally took the other offer of one year free OnStar, rather than starting a legal argument. As to my XTS, I just hope this isn't a repeat situation. (Here of course a full shutoff requires getting out of the car - after which it worked again - like the STS by just shutting down the engine). However, on the XTS I assume, its software controllable, rather that firmware and whatever else in the STS. Dealer, remembering fully my STS problem, phoned me this morning saying the "expert" was in and they discussed it. Apparently it's a known software glitch and I took it in and they did a software update - have no info as to that specific update, nor did a receive any papers. All I can do is keep an eye on it and if it turns out to be an intermittent problem like with my STS, this time I would not be willing to be so generous and just take a year of free OnStar service. Chris feedback may be another source of my problem and I'll keep that in mind. Would like to here from others if that have noted this problem, given the comment the expert made to the dealer as being software related. Well I keep on the positive side and hope I never see the problem again. My wife says, it must be my German accent, so rather than haven to answer with lots of "pardon" voice control shuts down totally, no matter what car I drive. Ha, ha, ha.

#81 · (Edited)
I have had my ATS for 2 months. It is my 19th new car and it is already one of my all time favorites. . Just had the CUE update and that has fixed most of the quirks in the system but the are a few things I would like to see Cadillac improve on.

1. Navigation: I would like to see a screen option for a white background as well as the black.

2. Weather advisories: I would like to see a "dismiss all" button. Yesterday I had 12 advisories pop up at one time each reading the same except for the county or city name.

3. I would like to see an appointment calendar app that would link to my smart phone or ipad with an option to tap on the appointments location and have it go to navigation.

There is one glitch in the navigation system that needs to be fixed. When you program in a destination that is close to an interstate highway that requires you to drive past the destination to get to the nearest exit and backtrack CUE thinks that you have arrived at your destination when you pass it on the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.