Cue Improvement(s)/Problems/Suggestions - March Release (New Version) - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cue Improvement(s)/Problems/Suggestions - March Release (New Version) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I thought one of the fixes of this update was to improve music indexing/caching etc but my SRX does not ...
    vi2k13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium AWD - Platinum Ice/Ebony

Thumbs down Music play delay/pause at startup

I thought one of the fixes of this update was to improve music indexing/caching etc but my SRX does not seem so.

When I start the vehicle, it takes about 30 seconds to play the song that was on in the previous ignition cycle. Even more annoying is that it does not play the song continuously - pauses 10-15 seconds after playing a small part and then pauses again. This pattern goes on for about 3-4 times before the normaly playing resumes.

Does anyone else have this issue. My SRX came with the March update from factory with Software/Gracenote/Map versions 23150273/22993544/23152950 respectively. Any tips or thought? Thanks!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    I would suggest that you call the cue hotline 855-4CUE-NOW

They might be able to help you out.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

Re: Music play delay/pause at startup

Quote Originally Posted by vi2k13 View Post
    I thought one of the fixes of this update was to improve music indexing/caching etc but my SRX does not seem so.

When I start the vehicle, it takes about 30 seconds to play the song that was on in the previous ignition cycle. Even more annoying is that it does not play the song continuously - pauses 10-15 seconds after playing a small part and then pauses again. This pattern goes on for about 3-4 times before the normaly playing resumes.

Does anyone else have this issue. My SRX came with the March update from factory with Software/Gracenote/Map versions 23150273/22993544/23152950 respectively. Any tips or thought? Thanks!
    I have had just the opposite effect after the update. The song that was playing prior to shutdown begins playing within 2 - 3 seconds without interruptions. Also, since the update the shuffle play has remained on without having to repeatedly turn it back on from one ignition cycle to the next.

Re: Music play delay/pause at startup

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    I would suggest that you call the cue hotline 855-4CUE-NOW

They might be able to help you out.
    Thanks! Will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by slepr View Post
    I have had just the opposite effect after the update. The song that was playing prior to shutdown begins playing within 2 - 3 seconds without interruptions. Also, since the update the shuffle play has remained on without having to repeatedly turn it back on from one ignition cycle to the next.
    Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know it's working for you . In my case, I have no experience with pre-update CUE.

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Re: Cue Improvement(s)/Problems/Suggestions - March Release (New Version)

As to various comments under "Music play delay/pause at startup", I have noted the following - pre- and post update: shuffle play always stayed on, except if I had removed the SD card for whatever reason. Then shuffle was off and I had to turn it on again. Also recently after various changes to the SD card, additional songs, changed playlists, CUE was trying to use the previously indexed info (as it always does while creating a new index - voice control of music doesn't work while still indexing but manual selection works. This time I didn't touch anything knowing I had made material changes to the SD card). CUE certainly seemed quite confused. Screen went quite fast from song to song without music and stalled as well - stopped on a song but no music. There was even some noise in CUE - don't know what kind of hard drive is in there but it sounded like a hard drive was stuttering. But after a while music started even so indexing wasn't fully finished. Once indexing was finished all was fine. Now starting the car it takes 15 to 30 seconds and music starts to play where it left off. Not sure how well if remembers songs played while in shuffle mode, as when re-starting car, it does sometimes play a song which it played some 5 to 15 songs back at the last run of the car, so perhaps it starts fresh with each start of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XTS View Post
    As to various comments under "Music play delay/pause at startup", I have noted the following - pre- and post update: shuffle play always stayed on, except if I had removed the SD card for whatever reason. Then shuffle was off and I had to turn it on again. Also recently after various changes to the SD card, additional songs, changed playlists, CUE was trying to use the previously indexed info (as it always does while creating a new index - voice control of music doesn't work while still indexing but manual selection works. This time I didn't touch anything knowing I had made material changes to the SD card). CUE certainly seemed quite confused. Screen went quite fast from song to song without music and stalled as well - stopped on a song but no music. There was even some noise in CUE - don't know what kind of hard drive is in there but it sounded like a hard drive was stuttering. But after a while music started even so indexing wasn't fully finished. Once indexing was finished all was fine. Now starting the car it takes 15 to 30 seconds and music starts to play where it left off. Not sure how well if remembers songs played while in shuffle mode, as when re-starting car, it does sometimes play a song which it played some 5 to 15 songs back at the last run of the car, so perhaps it starts fresh with each start of the engine.
    In my case, I have not removed the SD card since it was inserted a week ago so the contents have remained unchanged. That should be more than sufficient for indexing. Also, I have not used the shuffle feature - just playing the songs sequentially in a playlist or by artist.

Planning to call the CUE Hotline this evening and will report back with what they have to say.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I would like for the CUE team to come up with a generic list of words that CUTie understands to help cut to the chase without having to try thirty words or more to get a usable response. I can finally get a usable response but I cannot remember the exact word I used several weeks later. Just recently I was approaching the Atlanta airport at about 10:30 pm to pick up my daughter when the low fuel light in my SRX came on. The airport area is devoid of any gas stations and the area around it is very dangerous at night.I needed to know which way to go and which road to take for the shortest distance. I tried "Gas station", "Fuel" and eventually got the list on the center screen to choose from. But the point is that I didn't have a clue which one would be the right one to get CUE to respond with an answer. I know all of you have had similar experiences and since CUE does not "Learn" any commands then it would be helpful if we had a list of CUE words, such as "Gas", "Food", etc that would trigger a usable response in a short amount of time. I truly want the CUE system vocal to work for my wife and me but just cannot seem to be able to get it to work consistently. Maybe we are not doing it correctly? My wife tried the "Call XXXXX" command but got the "Pardon" response over and over again. I told her to say "Contacts" first but that was of no use to her after the fact. There has to be a protocol for this thing somewhere. Any ideas?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

rudy,

that's a good question for the CUE team ... I know the system is supposed to be 'natural language' but it would be interesting if there were a few known commands or at least a grammar structure to know
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

In my case, I have not removed the SD card since it was inserted a week ago so the contents have remained unchanged. That should be more than sufficient for indexing. Also, I have not used the shuffle feature - just playing the songs sequentially in a playlist or by artist.

Planning to call the CUE Hotline this evening and will report back with what they have to say.
    The way I understand the indexing is working, that every time you start the car, it re-indexes but it can work from the previous indexed info pending completion of the new index except for voice control. Where I am not clear on is will it keep a partially indexed info or will that be deleted if the car is shut down prior to having completed the indexing. I would consider a partial index to be of little help. And as mentioned before, if there was a major change to the data, using the previous index would certainly be rather confusing for CUE to immediately work properly. But there ought for be a way for CUE to be able to only start a new indexing job if there was indeed a change to the data. I am not a programmer or IT expert, far from it, but I understand there are ways and means to confirm such rather fast. And it would also be nice, it CUE then told the user that it was re-indexing and tell the uses when that task was finished, so if one shuts of the car prior to it one would not be surprised it CUE would again provide the message that it was re-indexing when re-starting the car. You may wish to also read my (rather poorly formatted and long) post at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...solutions.html I have advised one of the CUE engineers of that post and he said he will have a look at it and submit it to the group working on Audio.

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    The question I asked earlier was how to end a route besides by voice. My car doesn't have an "end-route" "button" on the screen that I can find, unlike my previous system on the CTS-V. Apparently, original CUE has it. Has anyone with the update found it? Did it disappear with the update? I hope I'm just not blind, but it's driving me a little nuts, especially when I have arrived at my destination and it doesn't think so.
    Hi Mark, the cancel option did not change with the update. You have two ways to cancel the route. The main way is by pressing the Menu button on the touchscreen while in Navigation and it is the first option in the menu. Once you tap that, it will switch over to Resume in case you accidentally canceled or you simply wanted to pause the guidance. If you tap Resume, it'll start the route back up to your last destination.

The second way is using the steering wheel controls. Use the up/down toggle to get into the navigation application, press in the Select button, and then the first option there is to cancel the route. Same as with the touchscreen, you can resume your last destination as well. You can also turn the voice prompts on and off from both of these locations.

Hope that helps!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I would like for the CUE team to come up with a generic list of words that CUTie understands to help cut to the chase without having to try thirty words or more to get a usable response. I can finally get a usable response but I cannot remember the exact word I used several weeks later. Just recently I was approaching the Atlanta airport at about 10:30 pm to pick up my daughter when the low fuel light in my SRX came on. The airport area is devoid of any gas stations and the area around it is very dangerous at night.I needed to know which way to go and which road to take for the shortest distance. I tried "Gas station", "Fuel" and eventually got the list on the center screen to choose from. But the point is that I didn't have a clue which one would be the right one to get CUE to respond with an answer. I know all of you have had similar experiences and since CUE does not "Learn" any commands then it would be helpful if we had a list of CUE words, such as "Gas", "Food", etc that would trigger a usable response in a short amount of time. I truly want the CUE system vocal to work for my wife and me but just cannot seem to be able to get it to work consistently. Maybe we are not doing it correctly? My wife tried the "Call XXXXX" command but got the "Pardon" response over and over again. I told her to say "Contacts" first but that was of no use to her after the fact. There has to be a protocol for this thing somewhere. Any ideas?
    Hi Rudy, I believe your CUE manual should have a set of commands that work with the system. I just took a look at it again to make sure and it has those shortcut commands listed around pages 83-87. So, at a high level, you can use natural language for Audio and Phone commands. "Call XXXXX" should work right off the bat without problems, but if your phone is not paired or you are saying maybe the first name for a person that has both a first and last name in your phonebook, then it might run into difficulty. For example, if you have John Smith in your phonebook and you just say "Call John" it will try to match only John and may match it to another name that sounds similar to John. The other thing to check out is if your phone contacts are being downloaded into CUE. When you wife is in the vehicle and her phone is paired, check the phone application on the touchscreen to make sure her contacts are loaded. My Android phone, for example, requires me to authorize my contacts to be transferred to the car, and if I don't do this, then none of those names will be transferred, and voice recognition won't be able to understand me.

Now, for the navigation commands you were looking for, "Places of Interest" or "P O I" would work to get you to the menu where you can then say Gas Station or Fuel - either will work.

As a tip to help you, the display in your gauge cluster will give you commands that you can say when you might be confused about what to say. For example when you first start speech recognition, you can say an audio or phone command, or if you'd like more help on what you can do, you can just say Phone Commands, or Audio Commands, or Navigation Commands. She will then take you to the next screen where you will get an additional list of commands that you can say. So, while you are learning the system, this is a very good way to get familiar with the commands that you can say. Then, once you have those commands memorized, you can start saying them right away when you get into speaking with her, rather than doing the step-by-step approach. But, giving the CUE manual a read-through, particularly the voice recognition section, would probably also help to understand what the things are that you can say and then when you are in the car it will probably be easier to remember them again.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Thanks Codeman, I am like most people in that once I get to where I can operate the basic system I forget about the manual. My wife was asking if there was a list she could postit on the DIC that had the commands for her to initiate the conversation. I'll try to make her a list from the manual tonight. I did not ask her about her Iphone contact list to see if it had transferred to CUE or not. I will bring that up as well. Others have mentioned the big screen not going back to the last used mode after a phone call. Mine does go back if I received the call but not if I made the call.

The way I understand the indexing is working, that every time you start the car, it re-indexes but it can work from the previous indexed info pending completion of the new index except for voice control. Where I am not clear on is will it keep a partially indexed info or will that be deleted if the car is shut down prior to having completed the indexing. I would consider a partial index to be of little help. And as mentioned before, if there was a major change to the data, using the previous index would certainly be rather confusing for CUE to immediately work properly. But there ought for be a way for CUE to be able to only start a new indexing job if there was indeed a change to the data. I am not a programmer or IT expert, far from it, but I understand there are ways and means to confirm such rather fast. And it would also be nice, it CUE then told the user that it was re-indexing and tell the uses when that task was finished, so if one shuts of the car prior to it one would not be surprised it CUE would again provide the message that it was re-indexing when re-starting the car. You may wish to also read my (rather poorly formatted and long) post at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...solutions.html I have advised one of the CUE engineers of that post and he said he will have a look at it and submit it to the group working on Audio.
    CDN XTS, yes, I had read your other post and some others. Thanks for taking the time and effort to note down all those details.

BTW, I called the CUE Hotline. I was told it was for US customers only. Us Canucks are SOL! The CUE agent offered to transfer me to Cadillac Canada CC but I said will call them later. I don't have much hope there.

CDN XTS, yes, I had read your other post and some others. Thanks for taking the time and effort to note down all those details.

BTW, I called the CUE Hotline. I was told it was for US customers only. Us Canucks are SOL! The CUE agent offered to transfer me to Cadillac Canada CC but I said will call them later. I don't have much hope there.
    My pleasure in providing that info. Having read so many questions about that and running into difficulty myself I did a lot of testing and so it was just putting the results on paper to assist others (both US and CDN users) My thanks also to Jeffpaletz who helped me with the playlist aspect. - Having difficulty now in using the formatting tools on this website, I even prepared it all nicely formatted in my word processing software, but the transfer did not work as I had hoped and much was lost. LOL. Just tried again to start a new paragraph. No joy!. Anyway how true about us Canucks being SOL. From my experience there is little knowledge on the Canadian site and most of the time I seem to know more than they do. Even the manuals on the Canadian site are (at lest were - haven't checked lately) outdated, yet since they are identical for US and CAN why not just a link to the US side for the English versions? But then we do not only NOT get an iPad the Canadian site didn't even have that very good iPad CUE "teaching" app on it's site. But for the US site to simply ignore us, given we have the same system and comments, suggestions for improvement, is very poor. The implied duplication of effort doesn't seem to be very cost efficient either. But it seems to be a higher level policy rule as Katie for once also simply refered me to the Canadian site, even though my comments were totally generic and applicable to the US just as well. At least codeman71 doesn't ignore us and is very helpful. Thanks Cody.

My pleasure in providing that info. Having read so many questions about that and running into difficulty myself I did a lot of testing and so it was just putting the results on paper to assist others (both US and CDN users) My thanks also to Jeffpaletz who helped me with the playlist aspect. - Having difficulty now in using the formatting tools on this website, I even prepared it all nicely formatted in my word processing software, but the transfer did not work as I had hoped and much was lost. LOL. Just tried again to start a new paragraph. No joy!. Anyway how true about us Canucks being SOL. From my experience there is little knowledge on the Canadian site and most of the time I seem to know more than they do. Even the manuals on the Canadian site are (at lest were - haven't checked lately) outdated, yet since they are identical for US and CAN why not just a link to the US side for the English versions? But then we do not only NOT get an iPad the Canadian site didn't even have that very good iPad CUE "teaching" app on it's site. But for the US site to simply ignore us, given we have the same system and comments, suggestions for improvement, is very poor. The implied duplication of effort doesn't seem to be very cost efficient either. But it seems to be a higher level policy rule as Katie for once also simply refered me to the Canadian site, even though my comments were totally generic and applicable to the US just as well. At least codeman71 doesn't ignore us and is very helpful. Thanks Cody.
    My experience is this is generally the treatment we receive from most manufacturers - not just auto or GM. I guess we can thank our federal and provincial governments for that.

OK, 'nuff about politics... We have had our SRX for a week and half and we love this car overall so far. But I am not too impressed with CUE. It's buggy and the UI in some cases is counter intuitive. The positive is GM has provided an update and I hope they will continue to improve.

Again, yours and all others' efforts and very informative posts here are very much appreciated.

@ vi2k13. I hope they will make further improvements. BTW. Today while in Hamilton I run into a problem with voice control. Wouldn't come on while driving on the highway, no matter how often I pressed the button. Used the other button for OnStar to bounce this of them. They called in a expert who then said he couldn't help as I was a Canadian. He said he would transfer but some 10 minutes later the call ended. I tried again stating at the outset I needed to talk to a Canadian expert. Took a while to transfer. After explaining that the voice control button on the steering wheel didn't work, I was put on hold for about 10 minutes. By that time I had pulled over to the side and shut off the car, to be able to concentrate on the problem. Then I was asked if I had the manual, Yes, I said and I was referred to the page which outlined the button on the ceiling for calling OnStar. Said I used that to talk to you and after all we are talking, no problem with that button at all. I then gave up, thanked him and told him I would see the dealership which by that time was only some 10 km from where I was. Went there, and they were very concerned (as was I, given I had that problem with my STS, which they well remembered, where the button would only work intermittently. They replaced everything, button, board, even the total unit, took the steering wheel apart, you name it, a few parts replaced twice. Had even left the car for three weeks with the Manager of the special outfit looking after such repairs while I was on holidays. He certainly confirmed the problem and had even discussed it at length with the designers of the system. Cadillac eventually gave up on it - not repairable and I lived with that. Well, after getting to the dealer to-day for making an appointment with those who look after CUE issues, I though, that this time I actually left the car, perhaps restarting it (tried that when on the highway, but I hadn't actually left the car) would fix it. It didn't initially but after 2 minutes, it finally worked again. So I'm keeping my eye on it. If I run into the same problem as with my STS and it can't be fixed, this time the car goes back.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.