GM switches to AT&T from Verizon for OnStar wireless service
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, GM switches to AT&T from Verizon for OnStar wireless service in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Jeeze... Now i will have to get a 2015 model.... http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91O07520130225...
    pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

GM switches to AT&T from Verizon for OnStar wireless service

Jeeze... Now i will have to get a 2015 model....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91O07520130225

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

Re: GM switches to AT&T from Verizon for OnStar wireless service

Honestly I don't see that as a win. Verizon has the largest LTE network in the us. AT&T has the worst record for dropped lost calls. What is going to really stink is I am pretty sure they are going to charge a lot for data plans in cars. In addition they will probably tie maps and real time traffic data to a data plan rather than stored on the device. Sounds great, all up to date data all the time but...that is a constant always on data connection. If you read the article is states at&t is looking for ways to make money...given how much they charge for data now on phones....ick.

If I were head of gm or Cadillac - I would drop all this CUE proprietary development - work up a data only plan for my cars and give the option of a ipad mini or snexus 7 as the interface. Standard size just mounted horizontally in the car. (I would actually lean more towards Nexus as you can skin it on top of android ala phones - think HTC sense or Galaxy skins). That way you can do SIP for phone/onstar for voice - and have real time data sent to them - nexus has a camera built in front - so skype or Qik - email on your car - full access to Play Music. A million + apps they can dl and use - there is a huge development community for android so apps a plenty would come out for cars (if standard across GM).

This will give you a better idea of what GM has planned. I am not going to get into a debate on which carrier is better, that is subjective based on where you live and what you do with your mobile devices. I think the proposed technology opens up a lot of possibilities. I for one am excited to see what they will do with it...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/att-4g-lte...o-g-m-vehicles

I understand what they have planned but..always on lte data is going to be expensive, they charge by the MB over a certain limit. Streaming tv or music eats a lot of bandwidth. I just never understood the reason to re-invent the wheel. Apple and Goole make excellent tablets - Google being the more open platform. Why create and develop CUE, Mylink, the buick one...one general GM skin on a 7" platform. There is already an app store, lte connectivity, tethering etc..an open platform would allow you to choose a data provider and plan , just insert a sim- Heck they should allow tethering of your cell phone right now to the cues..i already pay for a data plan why should I have to pay for a data plan for my phone, one for my car etc..The cue should have atleast had wifi built in to connect to a hotspot or starbucks..

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Ah, that's maybe while I run into some problems. Got dropped yesterday once and to-day twice, just after OnStar came on. then the other issue when trying to phone my wife I reported in another thread.

if you have a 2013 you shoud still be on verizon for onstar

glenroebuck is correct. the planned change is not until the 2015 model year (at least that is what the article said). I also remember reading that 2013 and above would be "upgradable" to the new technology. Not sure how that will work since they are completely different technologies used (CDMA vs. LTE)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.