Navigation Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By RippyPartsDept
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Navigation Question in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi, I have established two or three destinations on my Navigation and I no longer need them. How does one ...
    flying fossil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Kinda Red XTS Premium

Navigation Question

Hi,
    I have established two or three destinations on my Navigation and I no longer need them.
    How does one delete a Destination?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Navigation Question

My wife and I just went through this same issue and she got out the manual to look it up but couldn't find it. She finally found it on the Nav screen under menu and then "Personal Data' which is the last item on that list. Then "Recent Destinations" and finally "Delete one" or "Delete All". We expected it to be with how to set a destination in the CUE manual but for some reason it wasn't there. Once you get to the destinations list then there is a red (-) minus sign to the right of each destination. If you want to delete that one press the minus sign and then give it a couple of seconds to take effect. It will turn completely red and then disappear. Now I have one for any of you. If you touch the nav screen by accident and get a touched area pop up window detailing that accidental touched area how do you get rid of the pop up window without going back to the home page and starting all over again. My wife was trying to enter an address while I was driving and the road was pretty bumpy so she lightly touched the screen and up came the window. We could not figure out how to dump it and keep the info she had already entered into the address form. We could not get any help from the CUE manual either. Codeman?

kimbo1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4

Hit the Reset button at the bottom of the screen.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

CUE should be more intuitive than all that. I've had the same problems. Once I touched a preset button when nav was on and saved an address I will never go to again. Now I can't figure out how I did that so I can save "home". I keep saving radio stations that are playing. Come on CUE guys. Ridiculous.

AGuy, this is the basic problem we are all having. Nothing is intuitive and you have to learn the CUE way instead of CUE using our way of thinking. As I explained in another post here about my wife and I trying to delete old destinations it is frustrating. Just think about the right click button on ANY mouse in the world to see the things that we all take for granted everyday. Cut, copy, DELETE , paste and many other commands that would really come in handy but are not available to us. How about a simple BACK button to get out of a screen that you didn't mean to get to but do not want to lose the data or when you select a page that you did not mean to select? I believe that the crux of the CUE problem is that it ignored the entire computer user's world and went for a new and alien method. Maybe in time they will be proven to have been correct in their approach but for the first generation of users it is a struggle. On the menu bar that comes up as your hand approaches the screen I think that I would prefer a favorites button and a back button over the seek left/right button which I never use. Also with the squeeze/spread gesture the screen can be zoomed in or out why the buttons? Of all the areas that have the most potential for user friendly commands this bar would be the first place I would look if I was on the CUE team. Maybe they could make the popup bar like the main screen on HOME and we could select what items we want on the popup bar. I'll get my update next week so I'll let you all know if I can detect any user changes.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

right click button? my macbook doesn't have that
    and the touch gestures on that weren't very intuitive ... i had to learn them

apple chose only one mouse button for simplicity

they keyboard has over 100 keys on it already ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I don't think I mentioned the key board one time in my comment. I was asking for the same tools that we all use everyday. As far as the right click button maybe you could give the PC a try and see if is easier for you.

i use PC's all the time (on one now)
    ... i know all about right clicking

i mentioned the keyboard to point out that there's plenty of keys there that can be used to perform many actions that people use the mouse for

ctrl+c -> copy
    ctrl+v -> paste
    ctrl+x -> cut
    ctrl+a -> select all
    backspace -> go back in a browser
    ctrl+t -> open a new tab in a browser
    ctrl+w -> close current tab

and one of my favorites
    ctrl+leftclick -> open link in new tab (can also be done by clicking a link w/ the scroll wheel)

there's so many more keyboard shortcuts that can be accomplished much more easily (and faster)

in any system you need to learn how it works
    and humans are notoriously afraid of change ... they get set in their ways
    the differences between windows and macOS for instance ... many people find it hard to adjust from one to the other
    same with the differences between iOS and android (and for that matter between the different android UI flavors)

my point is that just because a system isn't immediately intuitive to you doesn't mean that the system is flawed
    if you take the time to learn the system you might find out that it actually is intuitive, you were just used to a different system

and speaking of keyboards...
    ever heard of the Dvorak Keyboard Layout?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard
    mental inertia is hard to overcome and is why we never made the switch away from QWERTY
    even though QWERTY is bad for you (the details are in the wikipedia article - it's a pretty good read)
    it's similar here with respect to mental inertia

you're used to something else so the new system doesn't feel right

now don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say that CUE is perfect or that there are no problems with CUE
    but technical issues aside, a lot of what I am seeing right now is growing pains as people learn and adapt to a new system of doing things
    RockvilleXTS and RockvilleXTS like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I don't know about your experience but I am having trouble getting one response for one input. Things like the seat heat "Button" or the on screen buttons or sliders. One time they work fine and the next time they take two or more tries to make them work. That is not change or fear of change but bad design. If you really want to see the complaints from car owners for ALL of the different aftermarket systems out there for in dash nav/infotainment systems just get a make/model number and Google it. There as many boos as there are yeas. Most of the boos are for lack of intuitiveness or hard to operate. I am going to put a lot of time into this thing but with GM reading this forum I figure we might at least make our desires know to them otherwise we will be using this same flawed system for many years to come. I personally do not see why the DIC display could not be a lot bigger if desired so that using the wheel scroll and select buttons could be more usable. When your head is down on the screen it is much more dangerous than looking at the DIC display. The speedo could be just digital numbers at the top of the screen and the DIC box could triple in size to accommodate more of the big screen functions. Just a desire on my part not a complaint. Like I said before I have gone from one airliner with one type of computer system to another with no change concerns but none were virtual all were hard buttons probably for the reason so many of us are having trouble getting one response for one input. Deadly in aviation.

rudy,

have you talked to your dealer about getting in on the update asap?

i think a lot of your problems might be solved with this new firmware

a few forum members who have done the update already reported a marked improvement

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    CUE should be more intuitive than all that. I've had the same problems. Once I touched a preset button when nav was on and saved an address I will never go to again. Now I can't figure out how I did that so I can save "home". I keep saving radio stations that are playing. Come on CUE guys. Ridiculous.
    I'm sorry that you're running into trouble trying to save Home as a favorite. We tried to extend the thought about how you save a radio preset over to navigation. When you are in the map, you can drag up on the row of buttons along the bottom of the screen to display the favorites buttons. If you have a route running, if you push and hold it will save your current destination to that Favorite. Or, if you don't have a route running, it will mark your current position as a Favorite. Another option you have is when you are in the Destination Confirmation screen where you press the Go button to start the route, you can press the little up arrow in the lower right corner to display your Favorites, then you can press and hold on one of the positions to save that destination as a favorite. As a general rule, what you see up on the screen, you can save as a favorite by pushing and holding down on a Favorite button and it will save what you have shown on the screen. This is how you save radio stations, navigation destinations, phone numbers, tone controls, etc. I think once you understand that you have this flexibility in the system is becomes fairly intuitive how to save each as a Favorite.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    My wife and I just went through this same issue and she got out the manual to look it up but couldn't find it. She finally found it on the Nav screen under menu and then "Personal Data' which is the last item on that list. Then "Recent Destinations" and finally "Delete one" or "Delete All". We expected it to be with how to set a destination in the CUE manual but for some reason it wasn't there. Once you get to the destinations list then there is a red (-) minus sign to the right of each destination. If you want to delete that one press the minus sign and then give it a couple of seconds to take effect. It will turn completely red and then disappear. Now I have one for any of you. If you touch the nav screen by accident and get a touched area pop up window detailing that accidental touched area how do you get rid of the pop up window without going back to the home page and starting all over again. My wife was trying to enter an address while I was driving and the road was pretty bumpy so she lightly touched the screen and up came the window. We could not figure out how to dump it and keep the info she had already entered into the address form. We could not get any help from the CUE manual either. Codeman?
    I'm trying to understand exactly what screen you are on that you're looking for help with. As Kimbo said, if you are on the main navigation map, you can use the Reset button near the bottom to bring you back to home. Or, you can press on the navigation icon up near the top of the screen as a reset button. If you are talking about the keyboard, there shouldn't be any popup that you can accidentally bring up. If you accidentally leave the keyboard screen by tapping the Exit button in the top right, it will remember everything you had typed in previously so you haven't lost anything if you accidentally left it. When you come back into the keyboard, what you've typed already into the keyboard will be highlighted so you can begin typing and it will overwrite what you had previously, or you can tap in the input field area to place your text cursor and then you can either add to or delete what was already in there.

If there's another screen that you're referring to, I apologize for not understanding. If you have any further description of what screen you were on or what happened I can try to explain how to get back from there.

Codeman, the popup screen that I was referring to is when you accidentally or deliberately touch the nav screen and the tapped point pops up to tell you about the spot you just touched. I have since learned that the grayed out reset button becomes active once the popup is there and I didn't notice that it had gone from gray to active. I pressed it and the popup went away. These are things that have a solution but they do not immediately jump out at you. That was one of my wishes was for a BACK button that we all understand and know what we are getting when we push it. The word RESET in the computer world is a NO NO and would only be used as a last resort. My biggest fear now is that after spending time and effort to learn this system GM will go to a new system in three years! BTW Codeman is there any hope of a user configurable popup menu that we have now with the magnifying glass, menu, seek etc? Sort of like we can do with the big screen and the icons that we prefer?

Dramset is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    right click button? my macbook doesn't have that
    and the touch gestures on that weren't very intuitive ... i had to learn them

apple chose only one mouse button for simplicity

they keyboard has over 100 keys on it already ...
    Your MacBook actually does have that...hold down the Control key when you click the mouse to get a right-click.

In System Preferences->Trackpad, you can specify that a two-finger tap be treated as a right mouse click.

As with Windows, right clicks bring up contextual menus.

We now return you to CUE stuff.

I won't say it.

I will. The Mac does not have the 'button' - literally. I thought I made it clear that I was aware if the many modifiers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.