GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So agreed with you, Rudy. If they could allow phone data to be permanently stored in the CUE device -- ...
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update

So agreed with you, Rudy.

If they could allow phone data to be permanently stored in the CUE device -- and there is a flash drive present -- it would eliminate any wait time in initializing communication.

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

I hate to say this, but I find myself saying "but Ford Sync does this just fine..." quite a bit with CUE.

I've had a string of Fords (company cars) for the last 6 years -- all of them had integrated Sync. Even without the fancy display and such, I still found it more powerful and complete than CUE.

Music indexing could be a pain initially, but it ALWAYS worked immediately when I reconnected the phone. The index was stored in sync so it didn't need to be rebuilt.

My address book was always downloaded to Sync and ready for use as soon as the phone connected.

I'm frustrated that in certain ways, CUE is 6+ years behind Sync. It's well advanced in other ways, but on the whole, if I could replace CUE with Sync, I probably would.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Well, not trying to be a troll or anything, but I have an iPhone, I connect to CUE over bluetooth (I do NOT connect the USB cable to CUE, but to a charger instead) and all my issues went away. Siri handles it all and it just works. Can't say if it's CUE or Android, but I gotta believe both are to blame and since Android is a fragmented mess, if CUE isn't ironclad in its design, it will never work together well. If the ATS wasn't just an amazing car, I'd say ditch the car, but if you love it as much as I do, ditch the Android and get a Windows phone or an iPhone.
    RockvilleXTS likes this.

Chuck_S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    All,

This afternoon we received an inside tip that you all may find helpful!

"It appears that Chuck_S is having a tough time getting his contacts transferred over from his new Android phone to CUE. Android phones have a feature where you have to check a box and give permission to the phone to download contacts to the vehicle."

The suggestion is to delete the phone, re-pair it, and while doing so make sure to watch to watch for the notification on the phone when it asks for permission to transfer the contacts, and to check the box to always allow it.

Best regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Laura and Greg)
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Yes, thank you, Sarah. finally that worked, be aware that it take several seconds for that notification to come up on the phone. My next phone will not be an Android. AND another thing I have to do....make sure the Bluetooth on the phone is OFF when you start the car. Once the system initialization is complete THEN turn on the Bluetooth on your phone. If I leave my phone Bluetooth on by accident, I still get the "Device is Initializing" and I can't correct unless I stop, turn off the engine and restart the car. In a separate minor annoyance, the exterior temperature is still blank on the upper left of the screen, I assume that will need to go to the dealership, unless there is a screen setting I missed?

From someone having these Android issues first-hand, I can't say that this suggestion improves anything.

The first time you do the above suggestion, it is true that pairing is much faster.

However, from that point forward, the pairing will go back to the slower method where it will take several minutes until your vehicle stops initializing with the phone.

The bottom line is that CUE does not work well with many Android devices. However, don't totally blame this on Android. Pair an Android in most any other vehicle with bluetooth and I bet you won't have the same problem.

I again will say, the indexing upon exiting/entering the vehicle is a big part of the problem.

TonyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS
    Does anyone have trouble playing their stored music on an Android phone ? I have a Motorola Razor Maxx HD, when I press media on the cue screen it will cycle through my iPad , CD drive, USB Stick which all work OK. When it gets to my phone it will show the selection and the play bar on screen but it will never play the song, you cannot skip to another selection, all you can do is select another media choice.

Chuck_S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

The music is a problem I did not have so I can't offer any suggestions, sorry. I think there are some others here that have had music problems, though. I don't know if they were having issues with music on a phone, or an iPod/Pad.

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

CUE users, I'm on the cusp of purchasing a 2014 ATS Premium and have been following the CUE discussion (along with the other technical threads) with great attention. I'm scheduled to test drive the ATS this Saturday, along with a 2014 MB CLA250, but am leaning towards the ATS. Having said that, I'm also a techie and the CUE system is a pretty strong draw, even with the drawbacks everyone seems to be having. Overall, would you collectively say that most of these issues have been overcome in the '14 models? Or is it always a matter of CUE software fixes, regardless of the model year of the car?

For those of you who listen to music via your phone, why don't you just pop it all on a big flash drive and leave it plugged into the car, to avoid the (re)indexing issues? Would that not work?

For those of you having issues with your phones synching, have you collectively found it to be that Android has more issues (OS-related), or brand implementation of the OS (Sprint vs. Verizon vs. Google). Does it appear that CUE was designed more with Apple in mind? Do iPhone users seem to have fewer problems? (Aside from the fact that they bought Apple products, heh-heh). Just kidding. ;-)

Anxious to try the car and CUE, but do NOT want a string of issues that would have the car back in the dealership for tweaks/downloads/repairs on any kind of a regular basis...

Don in Woodbridge, VA

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

My advice is to go back and read all of the different forum issue titles and see what others have said about their particular issue and whether or not it was fixed. I do not think that you can get an "Answer" to your question from one or two people because we all have different views on CUE. The general opinion is that we are all waiting for GM or Cadillac to offer us some update to the multiple problems that have popped up for a lot of us and that is where we stand now. As to the '14 CUE being a big improvement over the '13 I have not read anything about that nor has it appeared on this forum. CUE has the potential of being the future for all autos if it's reprogramming capability is properly used and offered to current owners. If GM drops the ball on this issue then it may well become another footnote in auto history. My advice is to get the dealership that you are dealing with to let you have a loaner for the entire weekend and after looking through the CUE manual try and use every facet of the system and see what luck you have with it. The CUE system seems to have been built with the Windows phone in mind not Apple. Good luck and we all look forward to seeing your results on this forum.

I don't think there has been any improvements in the 2014 models.

As far as I know, CUE still remains one of the only systems (which I know of) that reindexes its information every time you enter and exit the vehicle.

It's an inane concept which is prone to causing problems depending on your particular device and amount of data you have on it.

Apple products seem to work much better with the system than Android.

If you have a lot of phone contacts, expect CUE to sit and attempt to initialize for many minutes after you enter the vehicle. For me, it can take upwards of 5-7 minutes till I can place a phone call.

Music? Works very well with the iPhone. With Android, I still have yet to figure out how to get music to play off my phone.

The above advice from inspectorudy is sound. Get a loaner for the weekend and put that CUE system through its paces.

Me, I absolutely hate CUE. It has ruined any chance of me ever buying another Cadillac again.

However, others seem to have no issues.

I hope your experiences are better than mine. Good Luck. Let us know how it all works out for you.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis View Post
    CUE users, I'm on the cusp of purchasing a 2014 ATS Premium and have been following the CUE discussion (along with the other technical threads) with great attention. I'm scheduled to test drive the ATS this Saturday, along with a 2014 MB CLA250, but am leaning towards the ATS. Having said that, I'm also a techie and the CUE system is a pretty strong draw, even with the drawbacks everyone seems to be having. Overall, would you collectively say that most of these issues have been overcome in the '14 models? Or is it always a matter of CUE software fixes, regardless of the model year of the car?

For those of you who listen to music via your phone, why don't you just pop it all on a big flash drive and leave it plugged into the car, to avoid the (re)indexing issues? Would that not work?

For those of you having issues with your phones synching, have you collectively found it to be that Android has more issues (OS-related), or brand implementation of the OS (Sprint vs. Verizon vs. Google). Does it appear that CUE was designed more with Apple in mind? Do iPhone users seem to have fewer problems? (Aside from the fact that they bought Apple products, heh-heh). Just kidding. ;-)

Anxious to try the car and CUE, but do NOT want a string of issues that would have the car back in the dealership for tweaks/downloads/repairs on any kind of a regular basis...

Don in Woodbridge, VA
    Don't be one of those guys that does not do a thorough test drive and buys, only to come on this board and complain how they will never buy another Cadillac. Try it, test it, play with it and determine before hand that you can live with it.

I have an iPhone 4s with several gig of music and have found no issue with indexing. CUE is like a laptop computer in that when it first boots up, it take a minute before you can do everything with it such as make a call, set a navigation course, etc.

I don't think CUE was designed with Apple in mind more so than any other. I think I read that those with Microsoft phones are having better luck getting full functionality like texts.

Don't be one of those guys that does not do a thorough test drive and buys, only to come on this board and complain how they will never buy another Cadillac.
    Let me touch upon that remark because we all know who it is aimed at...

When I leased my 2012 SRX, CUE was brand new technology.

Never, ever, had I even dreamed that I would need to put a car's technology system through the paces when considering a purchase -- or at least, not to the extent that I should have.

You are right -- my bad for not testing the vehicle's CUE system fully.

But let's be realistic -- how many people really do take a vehicle for the weekend, try to upload music or phone contacts to the vehicle when considering a purchase?

Up until all the reported problems with CUE, I don't think most people even considered it.

In all my years of leasing and buying vehicles I have never even had to worry about testing a vehicle for phone and iPod compatibility. When I rent a car that's not a Cadillac, I never have to worry that my phone or iPod is not going to work.

Up until 2013, everything always worked as it should when it came to auto tech.

CUE changed all that. Know why? Because GM had to fix something that wasn't broken by totally changing the way devices communicate with their vehicles.

So, to be knocked down a peg for not testing something as fully as I should, at the time, is not totally fair.
    Chuck_S likes this.

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

NJRonbo ,
    Think about the advice that has been offered to potential buyers of the CUE system by me and others. Usually when a person wants to test a new vehicle he/she drives it, opens and closes all of its doors, trunk etc to see if it will work for them and their needs. But to tell someone that they need to have a car for a longer period of time, (weekend) to see if they like the infotainment system is absurd. If this becomes the pre-purchasing mantra of Cadillac buyers then Cadillac is doomed. Like I just said after I had to use a rental car, I neede no more than one minute to understand and use the entire system on a new VW Passat including pairing my phone with it. I like gadgets as much as the next person but they need to be practical and serve me; not me serve them. One last thing, on my home computer I have limited what is on the startup menu and it seems like this could be done on CUE to keep the system from rebooting these items each time the car is started.

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    So, to be knocked down a peg for not testing something as fully as I should, at the time, is not totally fair.
    Not sure that you were being knocked down a peg Ron...

I am confident that even twice the many test drives I took (and was offered a weekend) would not have uncovered many things that I have found in the last 12 months. Cadillac Customer Service has recently told me how to address concerns only to call me back to say they were wrong and offer another approach - and that is the experts. My dealer staff, as good as they are, are also still learning as they do not daily-drive a CUE equipped car!

Before buying I loaded the Apple CUE apps and ran them on my iPad. I downloaded and read the on-line manuals (ATS, CUE and Infotainment). I also scanned this site although there was little hard info a year ago compared to now. I watched every YouTube review I could find.

I accepted that CUE was so new that there would be "early adopter" issues.

So I selected a dealer that I felt would look after me -- and then I also bought an extended Cadillac warranty out of concern that any computer modules needing replacement down the road would be killer expensive.

Next week I am scheduled to have another group of fixes done for a litany of issues that have come up in the past year. Slowly but surely Cadillac are addressing the issues and if they issue a CUE update (and NavTeq seems to have an update ready if I read between the lines correctly) say by February then I feel I will be right on track relative to my initial expectations.

Car buying, with coming advances in technology especially, will become a whole new consumer experience - quite unlike the tire kicking days of my past.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you are going to use the system with an SD card, I believe the issue of taking forever to index was resolved. I had a 2014 loaner and it indexed the 2500 songs on the card in about 3 minutes. I was in and out of the car 3 times over 40 minutes and it did not appear to reindex at all. I was able to add songs, artists and albums to the favorites within 30 seconds of starting the car. The issue I have is that Cadillac has not committed to updating the software in the 2013 models. I'm not going to buy a new car just to get a software fix. I still have the problem of it reverting to long voice prompts and I'm told I have the current version of the software. My phone, computer, Blueray player and even my TV update to the latest version of the software to resolve problems and sometimes to add functionality. I have 2 years left on my lease and how Cadillac handles the issue of software updates will determine if I consider another GM car. That said, with exception of the CUE system, I really enjoy my car. It's a shame they are not resolving the problems and responding to those here in any meaningful way.

As far as taking the time to really check out a car, if you plan on using more than just the radio or CD player in any car with an Infotainment system then you should plan on learning about it to see if you like it. The days when cars just had radios with 5 pushbuttons on them seem to be over, which is a good thing. You have to do more than take it on a 15 minute test drive if you want to make an informed decision.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.