GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; All, This afternoon we received an inside tip that you all may find helpful! "It appears that Chuck_S is having ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update

All,

This afternoon we received an inside tip that you all may find helpful!

"It appears that Chuck_S is having a tough time getting his contacts transferred over from his new Android phone to CUE. Android phones have a feature where you have to check a box and give permission to the phone to download contacts to the vehicle."

The suggestion is to delete the phone, re-pair it, and while doing so make sure to watch to watch for the notification on the phone when it asks for permission to transfer the contacts, and to check the box to always allow it.

Best regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Laura and Greg)
    Cadillac Customer Care

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    All,

This afternoon we received an inside tip that you all may find helpful!

"It appears that Chuck_S is having a tough time getting his contacts transferred over from his new Android phone to CUE. Android phones have a feature where you have to check a box and give permission to the phone to download contacts to the vehicle."

The suggestion is to delete the phone, re-pair it, and while doing so make sure to watch to watch for the notification on the phone when it asks for permission to transfer the contacts, and to check the box to always allow it.

Best regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Laura and Greg)
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Yes, that was getting us for awhile. Now my wife is more used to it. To save battery, she usually doesn't leave her phone Bluetooth on, but turns it on when she wants it in the car, and now knows to wait for the message about permission to transfer contacts. I tried to get her to check the box to always allow, but she's too paranoid. . . afraid some other device (NSA? Heckifino) will bogart her mother's phone number or something.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Yes, that was getting us for awhile. Now my wife is more used to it. To save battery, she usually doesn't leave her phone Bluetooth on, but turns it on when she wants it in the car, and now knows to wait for the message about permission to transfer contacts. I tried to get her to check the box to always allow, but she's too paranoid. . . afraid some other device (NSA? Heckifino) will bogart her mother's phone number or something.
    Hello georule,

I am glad your wife is getting used to the system for transferring contacts. If additional questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Hello georule,

I am glad your wife is getting used to the system for transferring contacts. If additional questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    The problem is, Cadillac shouldn't be limiting our choice of phones. I prefer an Android phone over iPhone or Windows. Why should your or my choice of phone be dependent on how badly CUE is designed?

GM should be fixing the problem so that their system is compatible with all phones.
    Why do you think CUE is the problem? I'm not saying it isn't but based on everything I'm reading here, it sounds more likely to be a phone problem. In other words, you might want to complain to your phone company about limiting your choice of cars.

Cadillac is aware of the problem with Android phones. Mine was a prime example for them.

They eventually told me that Samsung was aware of the problem and offering a fix. I trusted that was the truth I was being told.

Since then, Samsung has issued a new phone over the past few months, the Galaxy Note 3. Same problems exist.
    Sounds like it is more of a phone issue.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I am repeating myself....

Any system that has to reindex itself time after time is asking for compatibility problems with phones that may not be able to transmit that information fast enough.

Other systems keep all the contacts (and other information) as internal storage so you don't have that transfer problem.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

how do you know what the other systems do?

i thought other systems just accessed your phone as they needed to and didn't transfer anything at all

how do you know for sure that the issue isn't something weird on your phone that is different than others who have the same phone (like r34220)??

you do have hundreds of contacts right?
    maybe one of your contacts uses some weird special character in the name (like a percent sign or something)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Other phone systems store the information internally. Even the guys from GM I spoke with admitted this. CUE was something different.

Have checked all my contacts for problem characters. None exist.

Samsung phone worked perfectly with 2010 SRX. When I leased the 2013 and moved up to CUE, all hell broke loose.

right, but r34220 has the same phone you do and doesn't have any problems
    something on your phone is causing this .... you're saying its the number of contacts and that cue can't handle the workload
    that explanation i find very very hard to swallow ... even if it was thousands of contacts

there's got to be something else going on
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Rippy, I am sorry that you are finding it hard to swallow.

Let me just add that this past Fall I rented a Ford vehicle (think it was an Explorer), as part of a convoy trip down the California coast.

I was in constant phone communication with the other vehicles.

Their system handled my contacts beautifully. I was able to get into the vehicle, every time, and immediately make a phone call.

Not like it is now with Cue, having to sit and wait...and wait...and wait.

And, don't forget, there's another member of this forum who has an Android phone who has just reported issues with trying to make a phone call with his phone.

With all due respect, you and I are probably wasting time going back and forth on this issue. Neither one of us is going to change each other's mind.

I think in the end, you and I are going to have to agree to disagree.

i'm not disagreeing with you that there is a problem and that it is not acceptable
    i'm just trying to figure out a solution to your problem

you seem to think that there is nothing more you can do and the only solution lies with a redesign of the cue system

i am of the opinion that something more can be done to solve your issue before we rewrite the cue codebase
    feel free to disagree with that if you want ... i can agree to disagree on that point

Rippy,

For nearly the past year, I have been going to great extents to solve this problem.

I have dealt with the GM Executive Cue team personally, who came down to my dealership, to spend time with me.

My beef isn't with GM or the way they handled my complaint. They tried.

But after all I have done for the past year to get these issues resolved, I do feel that everything that can be done has been done.

GM feels the same way too.

At the heart of this problem is the re-indexing issue. CUE was the first to use it, as far as I have been made aware. I believe their reasoning was that there was a security issue leaving that kind of information in the car drive.

If not for this reindexing that CUE does, there would be no problem.

Maybe it's not a concern for most of the CUE ownership. Not everyone that is having a problem with CUE is coming to these boards. Most may be having no issues at all.

It just seems to me that anytime you ask a vehicle to reindex information over and over again, there's going to be issues -- especially with someone like me that has a huge database of contacts.

I had actually hoped the GM CUE team would have rethought things and set forth a redesign to store information on a flash drive that is already in the vehicles.

The only reason this is still being rehashed here, Rippy, is because another Android user has come forth with similar problems (and yes, a counterpart says he has no issues at all).

Appreciate the help.

gotcha... i understand but i'd like some more info from Chuck (the other android user)

how many contacts does he have?
    does the "initializing" message continue forever or does it eventually go away (like it does for you)?
    has he double-checked to make sure he allowed access (post#61)?

Looking forward to Chuck's input.

Thanks again, Chris!

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

I believe their reasoning was that there was a security issue leaving that kind of information in the car drive.
    I really don't get that argument. They are frickin' phone numbers, not the nuclear launch codes.

But even if one accepted that, the obvious answer is to make it a settable user option that is defaulted to not store them locally, but can be selected by the individual user to do so if they are willing to make that tradeoff --and fine, pop a warning screen if you like and make them "accept" your legal disclaimer.

Done and dusted.

It's a high-end vehicle which is going to tend to be disproportionately owned by folks with high-end tech toys, many of whom push those tech toys towards their limits either as part of their business or personally. *Of course* there is going to be a good size population of guys like you with hundreds of contacts on their phone driving Caddy models with CUE.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I will repeat my idea to just not make the phone data part of the restart cycle and make it a settable function in the CUE settings page. That way when and if you add any new music or contacts to your phone you could allow the CUE system to initialize again. Why make it go through this step every startup when most of us do not change the data on our phones that often? Security? From what? It would not be much of an issue to make the CUE system password protected just like our phones are so why the concern?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.