GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Win 8 phones seem to have excellent interaction with CUE right now... maybe the best. Check here for example: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3604737 ...
    pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

Re: GM to Customer Complaint of CUE Part I & II: Major Update

Win 8 phones seem to have excellent interaction with CUE right now... maybe the best.
    Check here for example: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3604737
    Or: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post11277193

Re text messages: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-message.html

Is there an OnStar app for Windows Phone 8 yet?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post10682777
    ... looks like it is available: http://www.wpcentral.com/official-on...-and-check-oil

Chuck_S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

It would be nice if Cadillac would let people know that there are Android issues with CUE, I could've avoided an Android in the first place. Just a simple notation on the OnStar website or if the car salesman would mention it. It wouldn't even have to be anti-Android, just say that CUE works best with a WIN 8 based Smart Phone. Now I'm out $175 for a phone that doesn't work well with the system, unless they can fix it at the dealership.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It would be nice if Cadillac would let people know that there are Android issues with CUE, I could've avoided an Android in the first place.
    The problem is, Cadillac shouldn't be limiting our choice of phones. I prefer an Android phone over iPhone or Windows. Why should your or my choice of phone be dependent on how badly CUE is designed?

GM should be fixing the problem so that their system is compatible with all phones.

I believe the single element that is causing all these problems is the fact that CUE does not store information in their system like every other manufacturer's vehicle does.

You exit the car, all your contacts and music are dumped from CUE. It then has to re-sync that information every time you re-enter the vehicle.

The result is delays in accessing the information you need.

The CUE team has been aware of this problem for a year now. They refuse to bend on their philosophy that this is a good way to handle phone/ipod to car communication.

I applaud GM for addressing my concerns, but the fact is, they didn't fix the problem.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

there are only about 20,000 android model phones out there right now so it's not really feasible for Cadillac to make sure that their system works with every single model of phone

so there's the possibility that there's some sort of bug that is only affecting certain phones ... if you contact the CUE infotainment team (855-4CUE-NOW) to let them know then they will at least be alerted that there's a problem with that phone model and can work to fix it ... if you don't call and let them know they might never know that a problem exists

also there's the possibility that there is a problem with one or more of the tags for your music or some sort of data corruption that a personal computer can handle easily that CUE struggles to index causing the longer than normal indexing times (i would think that this is the more likely scenario)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

There are only about 20,000 android model phones out there right now so it's not really feasible for Cadillac to make sure that their system works with every single model of phone
    Cadillac is aware of the problem with Android phones. Mine was a prime example for them.

They eventually told me that Samsung was aware of the problem and offering a fix. I trusted that was the truth I was being told.

Since then, Samsung has issued a new phone over the past few months, the Galaxy Note 3. Same problems exist.

...but again I make the point...

It's not necessarily a phone bug. If CUE was not dumping and reloading data all the time there probably would be no issues with some phones not being able to reload/communicate that data. So, again, I sort of put this problem back into CUE's camp. Why are they trying to break new ground by making CUE work in an unpredictable manner that no other car manufacturer (as far as I am aware) does?

r34220 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    ....Since then, Samsung has issued a new phone over the past few months, the Galaxy Note 3. Same problems exist.
    I have a Galaxy Note 3 and its working just fine with CUE. What are the issues?

The issues are, it takes a considerable amount of time until you can make a phone call once you enter the vehicle.

For me, it's about 5 minutes until pressing the call button doesn't give me a "system is still initializing" response.

Also, contacts are not always immediately available from the touch or Drivers Information screen. On the Touch Screen, there are multiple entries for the same contact. Don't know why that is happening.

Also have not figured out how to play music off the device, either. It's not as simplistic as using the iPhone/iPod.

The issues are, it takes a considerable amount of time until you can make a phone call once you enter the vehicle.

For me, it's about 5 minutes until pressing the call button doesn't give me a "system is still initializing" response.

Also, contacts are not always immediately available from the touch or Drivers Information screen. On the Touch Screen, there are multiple entries for the same contact. Don't know why that is happening.

Also have not figured out how to play music off the device, either. It's not as simplistic as using the iPhone/iPod.
    I see. I dont think I have ever tryed to make a call right away so I will try and see if I get the same response. I play pandora without issue and music stored on the phone.

You are the guy I need to speak with.

What software do you transfer music from your PC/MAC to your phone?

Do you store it on your external card? I attempted to do that, but had problems with CUE recognizing it.

You could be a big help to me in trying to figure out what format I need to transfer the music into and if it can be played off the external card.

And getting back to phone calls...

Quite often, as soon as I get into the vehicle, I am racing to make a phone call. I always have to wait...and wait....and wait....

You are the guy I need to speak with.

What software do you transfer music from your PC/MAC to your phone?

Do you store it on your external card? I attempted to do that, but had problems with CUE recognizing it.

You could be a big help to me in trying to figure out what format I need to transfer the music into and if it can be played off the external card.

And getting back to phone calls...

Quite often, as soon as I get into the vehicle, I am racing to make a phone call. I always have to wait...and wait....and wait....

I have a PC and use doubletwist to sync music to the sdcard. You may find it easier to just just buy a SD card or thumb drive and plug it under the console instead of using your phone for playback.

Yup. Went that route with doubletwist. Even formatted the SD card in the right format.

Never got CUE to recognize the SD card. I plugged it directly into the slot beneath the arm rest.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

I always get the initializing message, but I've always considered that to be driven by my USB stick with thousands of songs being re-indexed. I'll have to try to see how quickly I can make a call with my wife's Galaxy S4 using its contact list. We've done it several times, but never in a rush after entering the vehicle.

How many contacts do you have on your phone? That might be a factor as well. She has a couple dozen, tops.

I have well over 200 contacts. That is indeed a factor in the problem.

...but really, it shouldn't be and wouldn't be if CUE hadn't tried to revolutionize upon something that wasn't broke to begin with.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

I have well over 200 contacts. That is indeed a factor in the problem.

...but really, it shouldn't be and wouldn't be if CUE hadn't tried to revolutionize upon something that wasn't broke to begin with.
    I know with the USB stick (unless you blow the index away with a random hard reboot, which has happened to me), the index persists. Even tho they go into an automatic update of the index every time I start the vehicle, they are looking for updates to the existing index stored in CUE for that stick, not blowing it all away and starting over from scratch.

Would seem to be pretty logical to do the same thing with contacts. The pairing of the phone in the first place would provide the unique identifier they need as to which contacts go with which phone.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Would it be possible for GM to wire the CUE update section as a hot all of the time, say for a week or a settable period so that it would not go through a restart every time the car is started? It would seem that this would stop the re-indexing that goes on every startup. If a person did want to have their info re-indexed then they could do a manual restart of the CUE system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.