Can CUE play iTunes music (files) from a hard drive in the same way it does an iPod? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Can CUE play iTunes music (files) from a hard drive in the same way it does an iPod? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; It's for Windows. It's free and is very easy to use. It does one play list at a time....
    jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Can CUE play iTunes music (files) from a hard drive in the same way it does an iP

It's for Windows. It's free and is very easy to use. It does one play list at a time.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Re: Can CUE play iTunes music (files) from a hard drive in the same way it does an iP

That poses a question: Is the USB interface USB2 or USB3 in the XTS?

drsketch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    It's that easy?! And it has to work on a hard drive as I have 160GB worth of songs to transfer.

I know of DoubleTwist for Android. There is a standalone application that will do this? Is it for Mac or for Windows?

And, really, it retains all the iTunes playlists? There is no extra work I need to do?

Thanks
    Are you sure you're using the proper terminology?
    My recommendation to you would be to first get itunes out of your head. It is crap.
    Second put your files on a harddrive, just the MP3's, the create a playlist with doubletwist like jeff noted, this will add an addition file(s) to your drive, plug the drive in and go.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just looked at DoubleTwist. They have a desktop version for the Mac as well....SWEET!

But I have to reiterate....

Does this software actually take your iTunes playlist to a hard drive and keep the entire iTunes structure in place?

Furthermore, will CUE actually play music from a hard drive? I am considering buying a 250GB flash drive for this purpose.

Are you sure you're using the proper terminology?
    My recommendation to you would be to first get itunes out of your head. It is crap.
    I missed this above....

If your opinion is that iTunes is crap, then so be it.

However, I have spent a considerable amount of time organizing my library of 7,000+ songs through it and it has worked perfectly for me.

Having to sit and copy 7,000 songs to a new hard drive is one thing.

Losing the file structure that I had in iTunes and having to reorganize those 7,000 songs into new playlists through DoubleTwist is inane.

I was about to go out and buy a drive tomorrow morning, but now it seems like it would be an awful lot of work and reorganization because it seems DoubleTwist cannot take those iTunes files and keep the playlist structure intact.

I am going to do something today that will probably be very stupid.

I am going to purchase a portable 500GB USB 3.0 drive for about $63.

I am going to take DoubleTwist and use it to transfer my entire iTunes library to that hard drive.

It is my *hope* that the library will be transferred with all the playlist structures intact.

It is also my *hope* that CUE will recognize the hard drive and the music on it. The only thing that worries me is that some are saying CUE will not recognize a Hard Drive.

At worst, I will have wasted $63 on this experiment if it does not work. I could probably use a 500GB portable drive anyway.

You don't use DoubleTwist to create playlists. It uses the existing playlists in Itunes to copy the songs on the play list to a USB memory stick. You can choose one or more playlists or all. A few seconds after you insert the USB stick the program brings up a list and allows you to select the playlists you want to export to the USB stick or the option to import all music. The file structure on the USB Stick is the same as in Itunes in that it has files by artist, then under that by album and then by song. The m3u playlists are also in the music directory.

Try DoubleTwist. I think it's exactly what you need. Note that the more songs you put on the USB stick the longer it will take for CUE to index. 7000 songs is a lot and you may want to initially try a subset of songs by choosing to import one playlist and then see how it works.

Jeff,

Thanks for your help.

This all sounds great with one problem....

I don't want to use a USB stick. I already have a 64GB iPod to put the music on.

I want to put the music on a 250GB hard drive. Will Cue read that hard drive?

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by pkadanec View Post
    That poses a question: Is the USB interface USB2 or USB3 in the XTS?
    I have ask that question a few times on this forum and at the dealer. No feedback to-day as to whether the CUE USB ports are USB2 or USB3. Why no answer to such an easy question?

I don't know if CUE will read your hard drive. How about connecting it to a USB port in the car and letting us know what happens?

I did. It was not recognized.

However, that being said, the drive is my iTunes backup drive. It is formatted so that iTunes can read it, not CUE. When plugged in, CUE won't even recognize the drive. I don't know if it is the drive itself, or, the way the contents inside of it are organized.

Another problem is that, because I use a Mac, the portable drive is formatted for Max OS X Journal, not FAT32.

So, before I buy a new hard drive (as I don't want to disrupt this one), I need to find out if CUE will read a 500GB hard drive.

Nobody seems to positively say it can.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as mentioned earlier in the thread CUE is not compatible with HDD storage mediums
    I am pretty sure that this is in either the owners manual or the nav/cue manual
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Chris,

That is what I am thinking, but post #11 in this thread suggests otherwise.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

hmmm... the format of the disc may make a difference

and also the power requirements too ... i'd be curious to know exactly what drive drsketch used
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I am working to get a definitive reply on this from the Cadillac CUE team.

I have someone I have speaking with high up with the team and have posed questions regarding whether CUE will read an external hard drive and what format it needs to be in. Someone else has been asking whether CUE supports USB 2 or 3 and I am hoping to be able to get a response to that question as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.