incoming text message
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, incoming text message in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I got an incoming text today while on the way to pick up my daughter at the airport and I ...
    inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

incoming text message

I got an incoming text today while on the way to pick up my daughter at the airport and I discovered something that I did not know. The lady asked me if I wanted her to read the text or ignore it to which I replied read it. She did and then asked if I wanted to reply or all done. I replied with "Be there in five" and the reply from my daughter was "OK". Then I was asked if I wanted to reply or was I all done. I replied all done and thought that was the end of it but it wasn't. I tried to change the volume on the XM station I was listening to but the volume on the DIC and big screen kept saying "Phone Volume". I finally figured out that even though she said all done she does not hang up the phone and it was still on after I thought it was off. I do not know if this was an anomaly or not but can someone else try it and se if your phone hangs up when you say all done? Also, just for practice on the way to the Atlanta airport I pushed the voice command button for "Navigation POI" She said say name or address. I said Atlanta airport and that started a long one sided battle that left me frustrated by her lack of understanding me. Out of desperation I said "Airport" and she go it right away! Then she listed about twenty airports one of which was the one I wanted. When using POI the system does not handle individual locations like Atlanta or Hartsfield international airport.But it will handle generic airports. Codeman told me that about stores that are not a big chain and to use the type of store instead of the name of it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Re: incoming text message

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I got an incoming text today while on the way to pick up my daughter at the airport and I discovered something that I did not know. The lady asked me if I wanted her to read the text or ignore it to which I replied read it. She did and then asked if I wanted to reply or all done. I replied with "Be there in five" and the reply from my daughter was "OK".
    Whoa! Can you give us your CUE software versions (located in Settings, all the way at the bottom I believe). I think you're the first person that has had any experience with the text message features. From what I've gathered, it's not available on most vehicles.

scsgoal31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Manual - Performance

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    Whoa! Can you give us your CUE software versions (located in Settings, all the way at the bottom I believe). I think you're the first person that has had any experience with the text message features. From what I've gathered, it's not available on most vehicles.
    Most likely was a phone feature, not a car feature. I'm going to venture that he has a Windows Phone based on the prompts he described.

Quote Originally Posted by scsgoal31 View Post
    Most likely was a phone feature, not a car feature. I'm going to venture that he has a Windows Phone based on the prompts he described.
    Ah, yes. We can confirm by seeing if the OP was listening to Bluetooth audio or not. If he was, then you're probably right. That's the only way it would work though, agreed?

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    Ah, yes. We can confirm by seeing if the OP was listening to Bluetooth audio or not. If he was, then you're probably right. That's the only way it would work though, agreed?
    Nope. On my Windows Phone, there is a setting for text messages to be read over any connected blue tooth device. Even if music is not currently being played, the BT connection will open on receipt of a text message and "the lady" as OP puts it will ask if you want it read or ignored.

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

es I do have a Windows phone and it worked the same way with my '11 SRX without CUE. I was puzzled about not having to answer the phone by pressing any button and then to have to hang it up without actually answering it. It really isn't a big deal except that if I hadn't been listening to the radio I would have had my phone on for a long time (I was unable to get the radio to come back on that's how I knew the phone was still on). It is nice to have the texts read out loud and with my two kids using sarcasm in their texts, it's funny to hear the lady reading them back while trying to remain neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by scsgoal31 View Post
    Nope. On my Windows Phone, there is a setting for text messages to be read over any connected blue tooth device. Even if music is not currently being played, the BT connection will open on receipt of a text message and "the lady" as OP puts it will ask if you want it read or ignored.
    Yeah but CUE isn't going to automatically switch to the Bluetooth connection when that happens, right? Or is it similar to when a phone call comes in and the system pauses (or mutes) your current audio option and lets you answer the call (or in this case, interact with the phone and respond to the text). If so, that's pretty neat.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Interesting that Windows Phone manages to get around the CUE gatekeeper. With Siri, CUE seems to know that Siri is trying to talk over bluetooth and blocks it, even when music is streaming over bluetooth. The only way to use Siri is to use your iPhone as a USB device and Siri will work through the phone, but still not the stereo. Once again, the rental car I had in Houston (cough Chevy Cruise cough) seems to have no problems, but my Cadillac with the latest/greatest CUE can't. And this is somehow because Cadillac thinks it's "dangerous."

I know "something" is coming, but it would be great if in this update, there was a setting to allow these things and the user accepts responsibility for the use. I was much safer when I used Siri in my previous car, I left my phone in my pocket. Now it's in my cup holder since I need to physically talk into the phone mic.

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by danscrim

Yeah but CUE isn't going to automatically switch to the Bluetooth connection when that happens, right? Or is it similar to when a phone call comes in and the system pauses (or mutes) your current audio option and lets you answer the call (or in this case, interact with the phone and respond to the text). If so, that's pretty neat.
    Probably similar to an incoming call. I often use a phone-based GPS with rental cars that have Bluetooth, and everyone one of them has interrupted the radio or whatever to play the voice prompts from the GPS. Haven't yet tried this with CUE, but I would expect the same behavior.

Of course, knowing CUE, it will probably hijack the screen from whatever I was using it for to display the phone screen. One of its most annoying behaviors to my mind. I'll try to remember to test this and post the result.

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

scsgoal31, I have my Lumia 920 speech setting as " always on" instead of bluetooth so I don't get the texts read over CUE. I just get the alert that one has been received. I guess for car travel I will switch it to bluetooth during the drive then back to always on for the day ( I so love not having to take my phone out of the holster to communicate during the day).

dc72martin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Question....do you need Windows Phone 8 for your text messages to be read via Cue? I have been using a Samsung Note II Android phone recently, but seems there is no way to have my text messages read through that hardware/software via Cue. I happen to have an older Lumia 900, running Windows Phone 7.8 (not upgradeable to 8), so I tried that today. I did check the box for text messages to be read over Bluetooth in the phone settings, but it doesn't seem to work. Please let me know if there is a way to get this feature to work on WP 7.8, or if I need to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dc72martin View Post
    Question....do you need Windows Phone 8 for your text messages to be read via Cue? I have been using a Samsung Note II Android phone recently, but seems there is no way to have my text messages read through that hardware/software via Cue. I happen to have an older Lumia 900, running Windows Phone 7.8 (not upgradeable to 8), so I tried that today. I did check the box for text messages to be read over Bluetooth in the phone settings, but it doesn't seem to work. Please let me know if there is a way to get this feature to work on WP 7.8, or if I need to upgrade.
    I also have a 900 running 7.8 (also a 920 on 8.0), and it absolutely worked for me. Make sure you have your volume turned up on the phone. I've noticed the 900 required the volume to be very high to be able to hear anything over the ATS speakers.

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

I use a Lumia 1020 with the speech setting to "always on" and it comes over CUE without the need to change any settings. Had it set up the same with my 920 as well.

dc72martin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Quote Originally Posted by scsgoal31

I also have a 900 running 7.8 (also a 920 on 8.0), and it absolutely worked for me. Make sure you have your volume turned up on the phone. I've noticed the 900 required the volume to be very high to be able to hear anything over the ATS speakers.
    Thanks....turns out that I had my ringer off, which (who would have known), disables the speech function. Working great now, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.