CUE Update Status - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE Update Status in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; When you press the Voice Command button, does she first say 'Device initializing' before the voice command prompt? I've never ...
    Sir CussFreq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Raven Black ATS

Re: CUE Update Status

When you press the Voice Command button, does she first say 'Device initializing' before the voice command prompt? I've never been able to get any contacts to work via voice control while it's still "initializing" (indexing).

If you can't get it working, just save it as a favorite. I only use the first page of favorites (so far), so I saved 'Home' in the last slot on the 2nd page.

hambone8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by pkadanec View Post
    This is an update to my original post (and the intended topic of this thread). I was at the dealer yesterday for another issue, and i asked about the status of the QUE update. He told me that it would not be until near the end of February. Owners will get an invitation as i mentioned before. As an owner you will get: A loaner car, a FULL tank of gas in your vehicle and a Visa gift card. Update time will depend on the version of QUE you are running (as i mentioned before).
    When I read this post I wasn't sure how to take it. Is the full tank of gas and gift card a joke that went over my head or the real deal? If it's real, did it come from a reliable source? I'm just blown away about that. I just got of the phone with the service center for my local dealership about a cracked side view mirror which has taken freaking almost 3 weeks to go for some reason. I asked him about an upcoming CUE update. I he didn't get the memo. No knowledge of it. It was like I kicked him in the nuts when I mentioned 6-12 hours for each vehicle LOL.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I too have "Home" saved to the favorites bar but have been trying to get comfortable with the voice system so that I and my wife will feel confident enough to actually use it. Of all the ability of CUE I think the voice system has the most promise for the future. Recently when using my Windows phone and responding to a read out loud text message from it I was asked by my phone, not the CUE lady, if I would like to respond with a text verbally. I did and said out loud "I'll be there in five minutes". My phone read that back to me perfectly in about five seconds and then sent the text. There was no "Pardon" or a tutorial on how to speak correctly. It was just a simple phone! Why is CUE so difficult to use in the voice mode? I'll let you all know if mine is a software or a headware problem tomorrow. I also have an issue with where you have to touch the screen to get the icon you want to activate. It seems that I have to touch above the icon instead of on it. Have any of you had that problem?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

hambone ... only a couple people at the dealerships will know about the cue update info (the tank of gas and visa card is what i heard also... from our roadside service tech)
    not everyone at a dealership is in the loop with what is coming up in the future (they're too busy dealing with today)
    it will become more common knowledge when it actually begins and the 'boots on the ground' dealership employees start having to take in cars for it
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Update on my "Home" command to CUE. My wife changed her name of our home to "House" on her phone and it worked. It appears that the word home with basically a silent "H" and silent "E" is not that good a word for the CUE lady. I also wanted to navigate to pick up my truck at the Chevy dealer and tried car/auto dealer along with POI. No luck. Then I tried Chevrolet and viola! There it was. It looks like I will just have to learn a new language to get prompt results. As for the dealers knowing about the latest updates, mine wanted to know the link to this forum since she had never heard of it. I think they are just people who come to work everyday and do not have a lot of time to play with the gadgets in the new cars like we do once we own them.

spoke with our sales dept before leaving work today and was told that the CUE update will begin rolling out on the 18th

letters will be sent to owners based on production date (or maybe in-service/sale date)
    basically a first come first serve system to get owners who have had their vehicles the longest updated first

vehicles coming from the factory have the update already (or will very soon if they don't)
    so if you buy a car off a lot right now you're at the tail end of the update (unless they just got it and it was already updated or installed with the new software)

you can tell the difference easiest by checking the CUE Climate icon ... they changed it a little bit
    other than that you can check the software version deep in the settings
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I was supposed to take my '13 SRX in for CUE service today but the dealer called and said it would be better to wait until late February and the new CUE update would be at the dealer's and I could get everything done at one time. Sounds like it is really coming this time.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Link to another thread on this topic...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ue-update.html

----------

Link contained in the above article. Good overall description of the CUE update.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...g-soon-116177/

----------

Link contained in the above article. Good overall description of the CUE update.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...g-soon-116177/

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

@inspectorudy

If I recall correctly the older rules for my 2003 STS, stated using a 2-sylable word rather than just a one-sylable word. Even with my German accent On-star did manage to call my home using my 2-sylable last name rather than "home", which I first tried. Try something like that. Now trying at that time for On-star to correctly understand a telephone number was in most cases rather futile, the reason I accumultated over time - in order not not loose minutes - over 500 of those!. Have not have a chance to try much in my just received XTS. LOL.

Mike Grasso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Gray Flannel 2013 SRX Premium

Instead of following the link.............

Software updates are already a part of life for smartphone and PC users, but this societal norm is starting to gravitate to the vehicle as well. In the next few weeks Cadillac will roll out the first significant update to it’s Cadillac User Experience (CUE) infotainment system. The update is expected to provide stability enhancements to address complaints, as well as a few new features.

Most notable, the update is enabling Cadillac drivers to leverage their phone’s voice assistant via the steering wheel. For Apple iPhone users, this means that Siri will be able to be utilized through the car’s audio system. Apple calls this Siri “Eyes Free” meaning certain functions typically available through Siri—such as asking the meaning of life—will not work through CUE. The system will also work with other smartphone voice assistants so long as the phone is using a Bluetooth profile that’s loaded into the CUE system.

Additionally, the update will increase functionality to more media players through the USB port, and for the extremely popular Cadillac owners, CUE will download up to 3,500 phone contacts, up from today’s 1,000.

Cadillac says to expect an overall increase in CUE’s performance. Specifically, certain gestures on the touchscreen, and the capacitive touch button reaction times are to be improved with the update. The CUE system, not unlike other automakers’ infotainment systems, has come under scrutiny for being sluggish and buggy, which Cadillac states is feedback they've received and considered with this update.

Rounding out the updates is a mild reworking of the navigation functionality. While mapping data will remain the same, the system has been tweaked to display more street names, and the logic behind destination routing has been revamped.

Unlike some competitors, Cadillac is not having customers update their systems on their own. Instead, current CUE owners will receive a letter in early March informing them that they may voluntarily have their car updated at a dealership free of charge.

Once taking the vehicle to the dealership for the update, owners may opt to have a Cadillac loaner vehicle to drive while their car is receiving the update.

An ARM 11 3-core processor, with two of those processors dedicated to voice recognition, powers CUE. According to Cadillac the system also houses hardware that is currently not being used by the software, enabling the system to be “future proof” to a certain extent through future releases.

The extra hardware is likely to be utilized on the next update to CUE, which is allegedly going to enable app functionality on the system. GM recently released an API to developers to develop applications for CUE and the company’s other brand-specific infotainment systems. No timeline has been released regarding when customers and developers can expect applications to be ready for download.

Cadillac CUE is currently available on the 2013 ATS, SRX and XTS. All three vehicles will be eligible for the software update. Dealers are expected to receive the update and installation instructions later this month, with customer notification to follow after that.

What does "Instead of following the link" mean?

Mike Grasso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Gray Flannel 2013 SRX Premium

It means... Instead of following the link (which takes you off the site and some people worry about corrupt links) here is the information.

Kind of obvious...

ah, next time use the quote feature so we don't think you wrote it

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Grasso View Post
    Kind of obvious...

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy
    I tried four times today to get all three rows of my favorites to appear and it was just hit or miss. If you touch the wrong area of the screen you activate the icon nearest to it and it took a lot of EYE time to get it to work properly.
    I agree 100%. The ability store anything as a favorite is pretty cool, but the system as designed and implemented really takes *way* too much attention to operate. Combine that with a voice command system that can be hit-or-miss, and the system at times borders on unusable. I'm sure some of the problems are related to the indexing issue, but not all. Your point about the favorite reveal gesture/target is, I believe, one of the latter.

Fortunately the gesture/target issue can be addressed w an on-screen UI update. The reveal/hide function has to be a lot larger. I also think the UI threads need to be operating at a higher priority in the system. Especially in a car, those command responses need to be affirmative and instant -- even if the system has to take some time to functionally comply.

Related to this is how the system rudely changes screens without my permission. If I do a voice dial, the (nearly useless) phone screen appears, even though I might actually be needing to check a street on the nav system in the next 10 sec. That causes me to reach over and switch the damn screen back to where I wanted it -- and if indexing is still going on, the UI can be slow to react. So by switching the screen to one i done need, i have to use the high-latency UI to switch it back, which then reminds me of how much I dislike the response latency. All of which is super distracting.

Again, though -- I think the system has great potential, and to the extent that it gets fixed, I don't really mind being a beta tester. But I I do believe there needs to be some serious updates -- including updates that acknowledge some UI issues.

I'm remind of the early days of TiVo -- every time you commanded the system to do something, it would intervene with a 'cute' animation before actually complying. After about two weeks of use, the users complained loudly, and with each update the animations got shorter and shorter until eventually they only existed at startup.

I agree that the potential is there for a great system. I do think that dedicated buttons, real or virtual, would be a great feature. One for "Favorites" and one for "Back" to go to your last page. As you mentioned with the phone call it would be nice to have a back button to go to the last screen you were looking at without having to look at the display. The favorites button would be nice because it would not take your eyes off of the road just to bring up your favorites bar. I would rate these items higher in priority than indexing 3000 songs on an Ipod even though that is a problem to be solved. One other area that has caused me some issues is the back up camera and how it dominates the entire system while it is on. Volume, phone, nav, audio are all inoperative until the camera is off. I guess there is a reason for it to be that way but I cannot imagine what it is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.