CUE Update Status - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE Update Status in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; They do not call it GOVERNMENT MOTORS for nothing!...
    suzesq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 srx

Re: CUE Update Status

They do not call it GOVERNMENT MOTORS for nothing!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

actually THEY don't call it that at all ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Guess I hit a nerve there...........

ok so it depends on your definition of "they" but with the US Treasury holding about 7% of GM's stock (and not really ever having any influence on the business after the bankruptcy) that "attack" just seems cheap, immature, and slightly disingenuous

in a few more months the US Treasury will hold 0% of GM's stock ... will you still call it Government Motors then?

and before anyone mentions it: so what if the bailout didn't get fully paid back? isn't that the point of a bailout in the first place? in the end it looks like it will have cost about $10bln to save not just GM but a whole economy of businesses that are ancillary to GM ... if GM had been allowed to fail there would have been massive issues ... why would the financially sound Ford urge Congress to save its rivals? Ford might have gone bankrupt after the suppliers went under ...

it was estimated that bailing out GM and Chrysler saved 1.5mil US jobs ... that's a lot of jobs ... and in the end it cost $10bil ?? drop in the budgetary bucket

georule likes this.
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Wow!
    "ok so it depends on your definition of "they" but with the US Treasury holding about 7% of GM's stock (and not really ever having any influence on the business after the bankruptcy) that "attack" just seems cheap, immature, and slightly disingenuous".
    Where are the moderators when we need them? You hit a nerve Suze! I've heard "Government Motors since the '50's and it never had anything to do with the bailout. The bailout was only the ice cream on the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by suzesq View Post
    They do not call it GOVERNMENT MOTORS for nothing!
    they do not?
    then why do they call it GOVERNMENT MOTORS?

Was that written by the SEIU?

what's that supposed to mean?

Pour yourself a nice cold martini and chill out with the over-the-top defense of GM. They are having a good year so be happy. They have turned out some of the worst vehicles on the planet and some of the best but they are not Olympus. I have always looked at them as I would a major league baseball or football team. You love 'em sometimes and other times not so much. Now they are on a roll with some leading autos but if they stay true to form they will piss off a whole bunch of customers before they realize it. Lets all hope they react differently this time.

i'm not defending GM
    i'm not the one spouting the "Govt Motors" BS
    i'm just trying to disseminate facts to help people understand how ridiculous they sound when they say that kind of stuff
    RockvilleXTS likes this.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Of course, it wasn't *just* GM and Chrysler that got funds in that period. And if you don't cherry-pick the numbers, the entire program is almost certainly going to end up in profit before it is done, even without counting all the jobs saved and tax income from them. It isn't there yet, but the experience with Fannie and Freddie make this an almost certainty.

http://projects.propublica.org/bailout/

You guys just are fixated on the bail out. I have heard the term "Government Motors" since I was a kid in the '50's. It had nothing to do with the bail out. As to a profit for the government it has already been established that the US gov. will lose about $10 billion on the deal after all its holdings are sold. It doesn't matter what happens to GM after that, but the gov will not get all of its money back. Period. (I like to use that word now that it is ok to do so)

we're fixated on the bailout? you're trying to deflect and defend others who are fixated on the bailout
    and just because you don't equate the term with the bailout doesn't mean that other people using it don't
    they mostly are making a snide and ignorant comment (or being disingenuous as I said earlier)

and because the term has been in use for a long time makes it okay?
    i can think of quite a few terms that have been in use for a long time that are frowned upon by most sensible people
    some of them centuries old

and as I said before and as georule also just said: if the cost of saving a large part of the US economy was $10bil I think we got off pretty cheap
    that's one day's worth of the federal budget (basically) ... you wouldn't spend 1/365th of the federal yearly budget to save 1.5mil jobs?

my main point again is to illustrate how ridiculous people sound when they say "government motors"

if you can explain to me how it isn't ridiculous then I'm all ears but saying that you've heard it since the 50's just isn't going to cut it
    RockvilleXTS likes this.

This reminds me of the Abbott and Costello Niagara Falls skit.

Or the famous "Who's on first" skit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.