Voice commands to enter destination
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Voice commands to enter destination in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've downloaded the XTS manuals, but they're rather light on CUE information. Supposedly the "natural voice recognition" gives you a ...
    Dramset is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Voice commands to enter destination

I've downloaded the XTS manuals, but they're rather light on CUE information. Supposedly the "natural voice recognition" gives you a great deal of latitude in talking to the system.

So, how can I enter a navigation destination, for example. Can I do it all n one command rather than having to enter city, street, and address separately?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Re: Voice commands to enter destination

Quote Originally Posted by Dramset View Post
    I've downloaded the XTS manuals, but they're rather light on CUE information. Supposedly the "natural voice recognition" gives you a great deal of latitude in talking to the system.

So, how can I enter a navigation destination, for example. Can I do it all n one command rather than having to enter city, street, and address separately?
    You can start with saying everything in one command. Sometimes it works. When it fails, the system is smart enough to fall back and ask you for individual parts (city, state, street, etc) in an attempt to resolve the address.

Thanks for the info. Next question: can I query CUE about places where I'm not?

OK, that sounds strange. Let me try again.

In my current 2011 Taurus SHO, I can ask the nav system for "destination nearest hotel", and specify geographically nearest or, if I'm following a route, along my current route.

I cannot ask for a specific hotel, i.e. "Nearest Hampton", nor can I specify a city, as in "Hampton in Lubbock, Texas." This would be a handy thing on long highway trips, which would be the main purpose of the car.

I can do this with the nav system in the Audi A6, although one might argue that they're cheating since queries such as "Hampton in Lubbock" must be phrased as "online destination Hampton in Lubbock, Texas", which initiates a Google search via the car's built in cellular connection.

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hello Dramset, I work on the navigation system for CUE and I am pleased to say that you can do all of the things that you are asking for. To start, press the speech button on the steering wheel and say POI. If you have a route currently going, it will ask you if you want to cancel your route or say Destination to continue. If you don't have a route, it will ask you to say the name of the place of interest nearby or say change location. You can also say Near Destination or Along Route, or select them using the 5-way steering wheel control. If you say Along Route or Near Destination, it will then ask you for the name of the location. Then you could say Hampton Inn, or whatever the name might be. Or you could say Hotels and it would give you all kinds of hotels.

If you say Change Location, then you could could then say "Hampton Inn Lubbock Texas" and it will then give you the nearest Hampton Inns around Lubbock, TX.

The system will recognize most major chains, such as Hampton Inn or Starbucks, but if you are looking for something that has a unique name, you can try using the category name, such as Restaurants, or Hotels to find all types of locations.

If you have any questions, let me know!

OK, let me see if I understand: I'm driving along heading for an address in Abilene, Texas, but I'm going to spend the night in Lubbock. The nav system destination is set for an address in Abilene.

So I press the speech button and say (prompts omitted for clarity): "POI", then say "Destination", then say "Along Route", then say "Hampton Inn".

It's not clear from your response if I can say "Hampton Inn Lubbock Texas" without canceling the current route if I'm not in or near Lubbock...

Since you're one of the programmers, two techie questions (presuming you're allowed to answer them):

-- What processor are you using? I assume it's an ARM variant of some sort.
    -- What did you write the code in? C?

Just curious. I was a programmer in Silicon Valley for 30 years...

-- David

Hi David,

Sorry, it was a little bit of a confusing post, I agree. If you are looking for a hotel along your route, that is exactly the flow that you would say, yes.

It is also possible to search at another location, regardless of whether or not you have a route running. The only difference is that if you don't have a route, it won't ask you if you want to cancel the route, saving you a step. So if you were in the same scenario, you would say: "POI", then "Destination", "Change Location", then say "Hampton Inn Lubbock Texas". The system will then perform a search around Lubbock giving you all the Hampton Inn hotels.

I'm not one of the programmers, but rather I'm an Interaction Designer, which means I specified how the system should function in terms of the user experience. So I'm not a programmer even though I'm familiar with programming and have written a few things, just not what I do for my job.

As for processor, it's running a 3-core ARM 11. Not sure what the code was written in.

-Cody

Yeah, back in the day, we would have called you a "human interface person".

ARMs are nice; but I live in hope that someday the hardware folks will figure out that if they can afford a multi-hundred-watt budget for the audio, then 30-60 watts for a nice PowerPC or Core i5 CPU would allow them to make an ultra-fast and responsive nav system. Not that CUE isn't pretty good, mind you, but why should zooming in on maps on my iPad be faster and smoother than on CUE?

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions.

Oh, yeah, one more question: in the XTS I drove, whenever I pressed the voice button, the prompt was something along the lines of "Please say a command, or say Help".

I imagine this would get old after the first few hundred commands. How short can this prompt be made? Ideally I'd be able to cut it down to a simple "beep"...

In the settings, there is an option to change the voice prompts from Long to Short. The short prompts are quite a bit shorter.

Good to know, thanks...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.