CUE and Siri/Google Now Support Needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE and Siri/Google Now Support Needed in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; One big item that I think is missing from CUE is a "voice pass thru" ability that would let a ...
    cullama213 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

CUE and Siri/Google Now Support Needed

One big item that I think is missing from CUE is a "voice pass thru" ability that would let a user control their phone. This feature is needed to utilize Siri or Google Now. Though CUE can do a lot, it cannot set a Reminder, take a Note, send a Text or make a Calendar appointment. As an engineering professional that is on the road a lot, doing these task safely while driving are critical.

I spoke with CUE customer service and asked if this was coming, the agent said "maybe in a future update if it appears to be popular with the consumers. I then asked why GM decided to build the feature into their two cheapest domestic cars ( Spark and Sonic) as announced in the linked article below. She stated that these will be used as a test market, in not so many words.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/11/...-sonic-models/

If this feature is something that you want in your CUE powered Cadillac, I suggest you call, write or both Cadillac to express your desire. I have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

daddie2k3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Performance
    Are you sure it's not possible because I can use it on my 2011 srx...

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
    I am waiting for my ATS build, so I can't try this, but does this not work?

("g" below at step one is meant to be the voice button symbol)

From the ATS Manual, 7-29:

"Voice Pass-Thru

Voice pass-thru allows access to the voice recognition commands on the cell phone. See your cell phone manufacturer's user guide to see if the cell phone supports this feature.

To access contacts stored in the cell phone:

1. Press g. The system responds “Ready,” followed by a tone.

2. Say “Bluetooth.”

3. Say &ldquo;Voice.&rdquo; The system responds &ldquo;OK, accessing <phone name>.&rdquo;

The cell phone's normal prompt messages will go through their cycle according to the phone's operating instructions."

Re: CUE and Siri/Google Now Support Needed

Quote Originally Posted by daddie2k3 View Post
    Are you sure it's not possible because I can use it on my 2011 srx...
    The SRX doesn't have CUE, so no this is different.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pever View Post

"Voice Pass-Thru

Voice pass-thru allows access to the voice recognition commands on the cell phone. See your cell phone manufacturer's user guide to see if the cell phone supports this feature.

2. Say “Bluetooth.”

3. Say “Voice.” The system responds “OK, accessing <phone name>.”

The cell phone's normal prompt messages will go through their cycle according to the phone's operating instructions."
    The instructions were printed before the CUE system was finalized, which is the same reason why the SMS app is mentioned in the instructions but not found in the system.

As for trying the quoted instructions above, when you press the voice button and then say "Bluetooth" the system begins the pairing process.

So no, this will not work.

If you try it and get it to work, please let me know.

Additionally, I spoke with the CUE support team for at least an hour about this and they stated it was pulled for safety reasons (like SMS). Which of course is a joke, because they are adding Siri integration to the Spark and Sonic.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pever View Post

"Voice Pass-Thru

2. Say “Bluetooth.”

3. Say “Voice.” The system responds “OK, accessing <phone name>.”

The instructions were printed before the CUE system was finalized, which is the same reason why the SMS app is mentioned in the instructions but not found in the system.

As for trying the quoted instructions above, when you press the voice button and then say "Bluetooth" the system begins the pairing process.

So no, this will not work.

If you try it and get it to work, please let me know.

Additionally, I spoke with the CUE support team for at least an hour about this and they stated it was pulled for safety reasons (like SMS). Which of course is a joke, because they are adding Siri integration to the Spark and Sonic.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

I agree 100% about this. It's silly that Cadillac's voice system sounds like Siri, but doesn't allow my Phone's Siri to be talked to through the system. You can trick it by making it a USB connection and then Siri will work through the phone itself, with responses through the speakers, but the mic is from the phone. This is actually more dangerous and distracting than if there was bluetooth voice pass-thru.

As the OP said, I like to set reminders ("remind me when I get home to take out the trash"), read texts out loud to me, reply with brief texts via voice, etc. This is now basically impossible, or really difficult and dangerous to do, since Siri sometimes still tries to send it to CUE and CUE basically ignores it, causing Siri's button to freeze. The funny part is my crapbox Jetta did this with no problem. To me all other issues are small beans compared to being able to you Siri through the CUE over bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    I agree 100% about this. It's silly that Cadillac's voice system sounds like Siri, but doesn't allow my Phone's Siri to be talked to through the system. You can trick it by making it a USB connection and then Siri will work through the phone itself, with responses through the speakers, but the mic is from the phone. This is actually more dangerous and distracting than if there was bluetooth voice pass-thru.
    As the OP said, I like to set reminders ("remind me when I get home to take out the trash"), read texts out loud to me, reply with brief texts via voice, etc. This is now basically impossible, or really difficult and dangerous to do, since Siri sometimes still tries to send it to CUE and CUE basically ignores it, causing Siri's button to freeze. The funny part is my crapbox Jetta did this with no problem. To me all other issues are small beans compared to being able to you Siri through the CUE over bluetooth.
    Yplus:

Thanks for voicing your thoughts. Call Cadillac and tell them you want it. If enough of us call, it might get the design team to add it to a software update!

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

No need to call

jreihsen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

+1
    I agree. I hate to lose my Siri to gain car connectivity.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

I assume since the Sonic is getting iPhone "eyesfree" functionality that CUE should not be too far behind. Hopefully codeman is making it known that this is eagerly awaited from many people with CUE already. It's not just the young kids, us 30-somthings with technology skills want to too!

Codeman71,

If my detective skills are worth anything, it appears that you are someone that is on the software engineering team at GM. Did I guess correctly?

If so, I am glad that someone in the know is on these boards. I have attempted to add you as a friend so I could possibly PM you some questions/thoughts.

Since you posted in the thread, can you possibly expand on your hint?

Hi Cullama,

Yes, I am on the interaction design team for CUE, so while I don't write the actual software, I did help create the design for how CUE functions and worked with the team to help it come alive.

Yeah, definitely feel free to PM me for any questions or things!

I cannot comment on things that haven't been announced, sorry, that's why I made my post generic. But just know that we are continually adding more features to CUE and we try to give customers features that are popular...

Codeman,

I can't PM you since I am new to the boards and don't meet the criteria. Since I am the OP on this thread, I don't consider it hijacking if I slightly change subjects and discuss some other iOS items here.

1.)my iPhone 5 has some issues when answering phone calls- it wants to go straight to the headset instead of Handsfree. Are you aware of this issue? I can't get straight answers from Apple or CUE support when I call in.

2.) Can CUE support having two Bluetooth devices pairs at one time? For instance my iPhone for phone usage and my iPad for music? I know I could simply plug the iPad in via USB but I don't like continuously charging devices.

3.) My main media device is a 30gig iPod video. Whenever I am playing music from the iPod, make a phone call and then go back to the music, the system makes popping noises through my speakers/starts skipping the music (old school scratched CD style). I took the car into be looked at the week after I took delivery and the dealer said they spoke to the CUE engineers and they said iPod videos were not "supported"; however, the manual clearly says it is. I know the manual can be out dated, but before going out to buy an iPod touch I want to make sure the issue is not software related or anything.

Thanks for being a member on this forum and thank you and the rest of the Cadillac team for taking risks with CUE. Though it is not perfect, it is a refreshing thing to see in the dash of a car. I used to install car stereos as a hobby and the auto world has come a LONG way since the first 6.5" monitor I put in the dash of my CRX!

Thanks,

CUllama

LovemyATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cullama213
    Codeman,

I can't PM you since I am new to the boards and don't meet the criteria. Since I am the OP on this thread, I don't consider it hijacking if I slightly change subjects and discuss some other iOS items here.

1.)my iPhone 5 has some issues when answering phone calls- it wants to go straight to the headset instead of Handsfree. Are you aware of this issue? I can't get straight answers from Apple or CUE support when I call in.

2.) Can CUE support having two Bluetooth devices pairs at one time? For instance my iPhone for phone usage and my iPad for music? I know I could simply plug the iPad in via USB but I don't like continuously charging devices.

3.) My main media device is a 30gig iPod video. Whenever I am playing music from the iPod, make a phone call and then go back to the music, the system makes popping noises through my speakers/starts skipping the music (old school scratched CD style). I took the car into be looked at the week after I took delivery and the dealer said they spoke to the CUE engineers and they said iPod videos were not "supported"; however, the manual clearly says it is. I know the manual can be out dated, but before going out to buy an iPod touch I want to make sure the issue is not software related or anything.

Thanks for being a member on this forum and thank you and the rest of the Cadillac team for taking risks with CUE. Though it is not perfect, it is a refreshing thing to see in the dash of a car. I used to install car stereos as a hobby and the auto world has come a LONG way since the first 6.5" monitor I put in the dash of my CRX!

Thanks,

CUllama
    On point #1, it has been documented that you have to use the answer button on the steering wheel to answer the call hands free. If you press answer on the cue screen, it goes to the handset unfortunately.

LovemyATS,

No matter which way I answer it, it goes to the phone.

We have implemented some improvements related to this for the next software update, so that will probably fix the problem. But also when I asked one of our engineers about the iPhone, I was told that the iPhone behaves a bit differently than other Bluetooth devices. Apparently the iPhone defaults back to the last audio method that was used (handset or Bluetooth). Have you ever gotten two phone calls where the second one may behave differently because the last used audio device was CUE? Just trying to see if that's something that's interfering here.

I don't have an iPhone, so I haven't experienced this personally. Does anyone else have an iPhone 5 experience this where the audio always goes to the phone?

I'll check on the iPod video.

Unfortunately, two Bluetooth-connected devices is something that we really wanted in there but didn't make it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.