CUE - A discussion thread - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE - A discussion thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Right on, thanks!...
    jbriang is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS
    Right on, thanks!

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Official CUE & A discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by brlutsky View Post
    I have been using the CUE system now for a couple of months on my new 2013 SRX.

The system is awkward at best and athe NAV system is one of the worst I have ever encountered. Base model Garmins can outperform this "Premium" unit.

I have owned 5+ GM cars that cam with GPS and this is the first one that can't even take me to my home address. The unit tell me my home is a half mile drive from my driveway accross an major hwy. This address has existed for over 40 years.

In addition it can's fine major points of interest in the area, it doesn't show hwy exits until ypu get ti yours, it doesn't whow the street you are on (unless it is atempting to navigate), you can't tell it whether you want best rout, shortest, etc for each individual destination, can't enter a destination by city, then address, can't enter a POI by name.

The problem list can go on and on.
    On the proverbial 1 to 10 scale I give it a 1 and that is only because I can't go any lower.

I have been told to submit info the the company that does that data base and maybe in a year it might be fixed.

For a premium car this is a disgraseful product. The unit on my 2010 SRX ran rings around this.

The dealership has benn kind but has no remidies, except to tell me to keep checking back for softwarre patches.

And to add insult to injury the remotelink app from Onstar doen not have a version for the Windows phone, but did release one for the failing Blackberry.

All sad and all true.
    Hi brlutsky. I'm really sorry you've been having such difficulty with the navigation system. It can definitely be frustrating, particularly when it is your home address. I could give you a call to get more specifics if you'd like to try to fix the issue.

As far as not finding major points of interest in the area, could you let me know a couple of the ones it wasn't able to find? I'll try to get that over to the map team to see what's going on.

As a temporary workaround until we can get it fixed in the navigation database, you could also save the exact location of your house when you are parked in your driveway as a favorite that you can select from the bottom of the screen. To do that, while in the navigation application, drag up on the row of buttons along the bottom of the screen to reveal your favorites. Then push and hold on a favorite button. It will then save your exact location to a favorite and you can then use that to navigate to instead of your address. Another option would be to save that location to your vehicle contacts. You can do that by tapping on the vehicle icon to display the street name and city for where you are currently, then tap on the little window that displays. This will then bring you do a destination screen and from there you can press the Save button. It will then ask you to give it a name and you can input additional info like a phone number, but that's optional. From there press Save and then it is saved to the vehicle. If you use that to start navigation it will route you to that exact point. I know it's not very elegant, but hopefully is just a temporary workaround until we can get your address fixed.

For the highway exits, I'm a little confused about what you are experiencing. Are you looking for something in addition on the map itself, or the name of the exit?

If you would like to see the street name and city for where you are currently driving, you can tap on the vehicle icon and a little display will show up next to the car to give you this additional information. We found that people didn't like all of the clutter and information that we had on the screen all the time before, so we made it optional and hopefully easy to pull up when you need it.

We also simplified the routing based on customer feedback that people didn't like the extra step of having to choose which route type they wanted for each individual destination, but rather wanted to just set a single preference for shortest, fastest, etc. This is also how Garmin approaches their navigation.

If you would like to search for a POI by name you have a couple of options. In the POI List, the first option is Search All. You can tap that and it will take you to a keyboard where you can type out the name of a specific POI that you are looking for, or the name of a category. Or, if you are looking for a major chain, you can also use voice. Just press the button on the steering wheel, and say "POI". Then it will ask you to say the name of the POI and from there you can either say the name of the chain, or say the name of the category if it's not a major chain.

Again, I'm really sorry for all of the trouble that you've been experiencing. But hopefully after learning a little bit more about its capability you will come to enjoy its functionality.

Let me know if you have any questions or have any other feedback to give regarding the navigation system.

Thanks! -Cody

----------

Quote Originally Posted by hambone8 View Post
    I watched a video of the CUE a few weeks ago showing someone starting up navigation to a destination. Tjen the person dragged the turn by turn window to the small information window under the speedometers
    I tried to duplicate this function the other day and couldn't get turn window to move. Another unadded feature such as the text to voice? Anyone been able to do this?
    You can do this even with the base cluster, although it doesn't work quite exactly like the video shows. While you have a route running, just do a swipe to the left on the turn arrow, and your cluster will then display the navigation information. You can also do this swipe on the audio application to display your current audio information in the cluster. It's kind of a fun trick to do when you want to show off a bit I did it at the auto shows and it always was a crowd pleaser

----------

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    Your memory is pretty good and the great news is...it worked.

...though not exactly as your memory dictated, but hey, it's from memory.

Actually, the favorites bar would not come into play when I was in contacts.

It did, however, when I got to the dialpad screen. I simply typed in a phone number then hit one of the blank boxes on the favorites, and that number was stored.

So, a HUGE thanks to you for getting the process started. Nice to see this can be done.

Now to get the iPod problem worked out, and I am set.
    You can get the favorites bar to display while in contacts, or just about any screen in the system. If that bottom bar isn't currently visible, tap the arrow in the lower right corner of the screen to bring it up. Once that bar of controls is visible, you can drag up on it to get to your favorites. Then you can push and hold on an empty slot and then it will ask you what you would like to save from the screen up above. Once you pick it, it gets saved and you're good to go!

So you could also save just a number like what you did, or you could save a whole contact, or nav address, or just about anything else by following that process.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Official CUE & A discussion thread

Codeman, I had the same problem with the GPS location of my home. The address and the GPS coordinates did not match by about a half block. I simply put the position of my driveway as a save and then re-named it HOME. The thing I am worried about is that the GPS is so far off. When in a downtown busy area being off by a half block can mean a big miss. Is there anyway to zero out the GPS while actually at the requested site? I know this is possible on a lot of maritime GPS units. Also for the first time in the two weeks that I have had the '13 I got a screen lock up tonight. After the car was started the screen came on with a strange combination of icons and dashed lines and nothing I did could free it up. The DIC commands and displays still worked and any phone or audio command was followed. After leaving the car for about thirty minutes while shopping it cleared up on the next start. Do you know of any reset for a future problem like this? One last thing I have already read a complaint about is the night time mode for the NAV screen being too bright. Is there any control through the computer to lower this? Thanks for your help. BTW, OnStar told me that they have a CUE person on call 24/7 if any of us need them.

Re: CUE - A discussion thread

The way the system navigates to specific addresses can be a couple of different ways. For some addresses, Navteq has coded where the actual location is for a particular address. This is most often the case for buildings that are set away from the road quite a distance. For all other addresses, the exactly location is estimated based on a range. For example, this stretch of road goes from #100 to #200, and then the numbers are spread out evenly. For most situations this works well, but the actual addresses aren't always placed in reality this way. So this doesn't mean the GPS signal is off, but rather the end point is placed at the incorrect GPS location. You shouldn't see this mismatch for all addresses, which would be the case if the GPS signal was not accurate. If that is really happening for every address, there might be something wrong with the vehicle. If you could message me the address that you are trying, I can look it up and see if there is something else going wrong specifically with that address and try to get it resolved.

For the issue you saw, I don't think I've experienced that issue with the icons and dashed lines. If this happens again to you, see if you can grab a picture as that would help us in diagnosing what mode the system is going into. But hopefully this won't happen again to you. As far as resetting, just turning the car off, waiting 2 minutes for all modules to go asleep, and then starting it back up should do it. When the car gets turned off, the system shuts down completely and then it all reinitializes at the next startup, so if you had any strange behavior like that, it should be resolved the next time you turn on the car.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Thanks for the response Codeman. The screen that I got when it froze was mostly blank with the temp indicator in the upper left side showing two dashed lines and the degree symbol. In the center was the outline of the same box that the sub menus are presented like when SETTINGS is selected but with nothing in it. On the right side in the same position that it would be on the home page was the big SETTINGS icon. That was all there was and NONE of the center controls, A/C, volume, fan etc, worked or caused any response when pushed or rubbed. Thank you for the two minute time required for the system to reset because I did restart the car but did not allow the full two minutes for it to reset. It is fun to play with this stuff and your help in explaining some of the decisions made by your group have been very helpful in understanding the end product. Keep it up!

Wow, I've never seen that one, and I've been in the car a LOT testing this stuff . So, that should be some hope that you shouldn't see that screen ever again.

Yeah, the time allowed for it to shut down is built in so if you do happen to turn the car off, and then start it back up soon after, you don't have to wait for it to boot back up. So, we try to only shut all the way down when it's likely the driver isn't going to be coming back again. Then, at the first sign of someone returning (remote unlock, door open, etc.) the system starts back up and begins booting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.