Cue and the traditional Cadillac owner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cue and the traditional Cadillac owner in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My business partner and I were talking about my new 2013 SRX and CUE. We both have spent our entire ...
    kiboater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Luxury

Cue and the traditional Cadillac owner

My business partner and I were talking about my new 2013 SRX and CUE. We both have spent our entire working careers in the car business mostly in service but some in sales. I love the car but I am a techie even though I am almost 70. Everyone on this and the SRX forum are techies because we found and use this forum. But what about the elderly buyer who has owned 6 or 7 Cadillacs and just wants a new one. He probably doesn't have a smart phone or care about CUE. I can imagine a salesman showing him the new Cadillac and he asks where is the radio volume control and guess what?

This group is mostly techies whether they will admit it or not. You have after all figured out how to use a computer and found the Cadillac forums. You have progressed from lurkers to posters and overcome all the normal fears. I am sure there are some Cadillac salespeople on this forum. How do these older non technical buyers react when you tell them that they are going to get an IPAD when they don't own a computer?

I realize I own an SRX but I am posting this in the XTS fourm because I think the traditional Cadillac buyer would be more inclined to look at the XTS.

Cadillac is taking a big chance here with their base. How are they doing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ArubaKid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Cue and the traditional Cadillac owner

Well, there is the other side of this: I have owned 6 Lexus' and I have a XTS on order, and one of the main reasons is the technology.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

First off, what is your definition of "elderly"? I will be 65 in February. I was introduced to computers years ago while working at GM. As a matter of fact I was even a computer progammer. I would personally consider an elderly person as somebody in their 80's. At that point you start getting into the people that are'nt that familiar with computers. My opinion is that most elderly people in their 80's won't be rushing out to buy an new cadilac either. It's funny how everybody brings up the volume control on the XTS. All you have to use is the steering wheel control. I have been using that for years on my cars. One other thing, when I got my XTS, I didn't even know what an IPAD was. I do now. Maybe Iam just on the bottom edge of "elderly". I can see where Cadillac is going and I think it's on the right track. Makes me wonder with all I know now and when I'm 80 will I think of myself as "elderly"?
    Times are changing.

kiboater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    First off, what is your definition of "elderly"? I will be 65 in February.
    I think you missed my point and went off on the semantics of "elderly". Although lots of us age challenged individuals (I am older than you and run a computer company) are very tech savvy, you will have to admit that lots are not. Our generation did not grow up with computers in school.

I am sorry the E word upsets you and I will try and avoid using it in future posts.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

I wasn't upset at all with the E word. I don't consider myself elderly yet. I was just trying to find out what the opinon was out there on what is considered elderly. I think the original post brings up a good point. You're right we didn't grow up with computers like the kids of today. We had to learn on our own at a later age. I personally am enjoying it.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I know us elderly are just getting used to these dang fangled electrical windows and cruise control, and auto climate or something....c'mon, unless you're really up there or out of it, most of us elderly are products of the space age and are up to and appreciate new technology and advancements more than you think.....and don't think for one second "Cadillac" hadn't researched that as well. p.s. the CUE system is one of the main reasons I bought my car to begin with; love it!

longslim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I wonder is a buyers education a better signifier of a willingness to adapt to new technology. As a 60 year old I get me grand kids coming to me for computer software advice. All be it I have own netbook, ipad, iphone and first pc was purchased in 1992. I think curios elderly people learn and change with the times, hell my 82 year old MIL is texting OMG and lol. Now would she buy a XTS no way it to fancy for her as she told me to my faces lol. I think the older buyer for this car goes in to it not intimated but looking for new technology in there Cadillac. I know for sure that styling and CUE was the primary driving force for me in buying a Cadillac. I never consider a Cadillac before they where to plain and styling was blah to me. I was intent on a buying a Lexus or MB, even had place a deposit to purchase a 2013 ES350. But I happen to see an article posted on Lexus forum about the CUE on the XTS. Once I use CUE it was so much better than Enform on Lexus that I cancelled and got my XTS.
    Marc NY and Marc NY like this.

Caddy Chris is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Premium

I will probably never live long enough to be "elderly" but at 50 my generation ushered in the technology we have now. I have been working in technology since the early 80's and can figure uot any device, gadget or Car electronics. That being said my 78 year old father still cant work the all the gadgets in his 08 DTS, so yeah there is a problem with certain buyers. I was given an XTS premium to drive for a week. I figured out the CUE system in a few minutes of playing with it. I am not impressed with the implementation it could be much better. If Cadillac irons out the kinks and puts gorilla glass on the screen it may be ok. THe fingerprints on the screen are awful. THe stereo does sound good but honestly the CUE need a lot of work.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Wink Re: Cue and the traditional Cadillac owner

My mother is 84 and she would be part of "I don't know what to do with technology." She refuses to learn. And, friends of this forum, she should not be driving; not because she is a bad driver, but because she doesn't know where the high beam "switch" is or how to operate the heat/AC/defroster. She refuses to read the manual.
    The bottom line is that we live in a world of technology and if we are "too old" to learn something new, we are too old to drive, use a cell phone, use a new stove, dishwasher, and the list goes on. So is Cadillac making a mistake in making certain people afraid to buy their cars? Maybe, but it only affects a very small group who probably wouldn't spent "this much money" on a new vehicle anyway. If anything, it's the Baby Boomers that are the main buyers of the XTS and most of us and those younger who buy the XTS didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Ever drive in a senior community setting? Notice all the Camrys, Hyundais,etc? And they are all base models! BTW, my mother complains of the mpg of her Buick so I suggested a hybrid and she went crazy, "I don't want an electric car that I need to plug in!" Oh yes, learning new stuff helps to prevent Alzheimer onset; Cadillac should include that in their commercials.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

My Cadillac salesman said his Older buyers just want to turn the key on and go. Hope that answers the OPs question.

In other news the xts doesn't have a place for the key it's a button, so the older buyers are going to have to relearn that before they go anywhere.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    It keeps the older buyers young ! If I owned a dealership I would host "tech breakfast ". Treat the older or any customers to some tasty food while conducting a presentation ( interactive) on how to use all the cool tech in today's Cadillacs. One thing seniors are use to is good ole fashioned personalized service.

When people are offered "free food," they come like vultures and not necessarily for the "continuing education." As a senior, I like to teach myself new stuff; I learn better and retain better. Do you think there is esprit de corps for Cadillac Owners like Harley folks? Nice thought though.
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike
    When people are offered "free food," they come like vultures and not necessarily for the "continuing education." As a senior, I like to teach myself new stuff; I learn better and retain better. Do you think there is esprit de corps for Cadillac Owners like Harley folks? Nice thought though.
    Lol, true but it's a way to get some of the plus 65 crowd into the dealership and present them with the latest models /tech. Yep, some will come fir a free sandwich but that's the cost of doing biz. We do financial planning seminars at some fancy restaurents all to attract seniors with assets. They are drawn to free food like a moth to bright light. !!! .

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Lol, true but it's a way to get some of the plus 65 crowd into the dealership and present them with the latest models /tech. Yep, some will come fir a free sandwich but that's the cost of doing biz. We do financial planning seminars at some fancy restaurents all to attract seniors with assets. They are drawn to free food like a moth to bright light. !!! .
    AH...the lure of free food. At 66, I find myself repelled by that particular lure. But I know that it works. It's like they cannot afford a hot meal. Laughable and sad at the same time.

longslim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Go to Costco on a Saturday morning and which the herd graze on the free food. I swear a well do to senior I know takes her grand kids every weekend like it's a free buffet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.