Cadillac is taking heat over CUE
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cadillac is taking heat over CUE in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; http://tinyurl.com/b4zqelv I own a 2013 SRX and love it. Obviously Cadillac is taking a lot of heat over the CUE ...
    kiboater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Luxury

Cadillac is taking heat over CUE

http://tinyurl.com/b4zqelv

I own a 2013 SRX and love it. Obviously Cadillac is taking a lot of heat over the CUE system. I am a techie and I can see that once they get their act together CUE will be a lot better than it is now. My wife on the other hand hates it because it is so clunky.

Cadillac deserves the heat. At least XTS owners get an Ipad to help explain the systems. I don't need an Ipad but I would like the instructions. The only videos posted on the 2013 SRX page on Cadillac's website are for the prior year not CUE. They don't even have the 2013 SRX owners manual posted. Cadillac has made no announcement about their plans to update this system and lord knows it needs help. They don't have a website for users to report issues, suggest changes or keep us posted on their plans. A blog for CUE users where they could interact with developers would be something most of us could think of but not Cadillac. I assume Cadillac will improve CUE but I have no assurance.

All the negative publicity will cost Cadillac sales but I have to say they have done nothing to inform current owners or keep them up to date. They deserve the heat for keeping us in the dark.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hambone8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium

Re: Cadillas is taking heat over CUE

Documentation does seem scarce. The my Cadillac app is still missing the 2013 srx manual. I was fortunate enough to use the ipad training app before delivery. I did the basic to advanced training. The advanced was without tips and pointers. Just a task. I assumed before leasing their would be some snags with CUE since it was gen 1. If only someone would license iOS for a vehicle management system. Maybe will get an iCar or iSUV someday soon lol

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

The CUE people must be the same group that did the SRX nav system. They went back in time to 1980 to come up with their "New" nav system. It looks like the CUE will be back to the future again. Maybe they can find a young Bill Gates or Steve Jobs to teach them how to take an idea from it's infancy to fruition. The biggest asset they have is customer feedback. And you know what? It's free!! GM hasn't had too good a record with things that cost little and require listening to their customers..

Marc NY is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

It seems to me that some people, like the reporter from CR, never seem to deal well with change!

I have the new CUE and love it... yes it does take some time to learn how it functions ... and usually something brand new takes time to understand. I have to agree that there should be a website for CUE users to be able to discuss and address their concerns and questions.

I sat in a '13 and played with the CUE and found it very interesting and like many of its features like the steering wheel controls and the approximate touch idea. I missed the popup screen though and think that if any of you are considering a new SRX with CUE that you get the dealer to let you have one over the weekend to see if it is going to require too much concentration and study. Some people, like my wife, just want a car to be pretty, reliable and easy to use. She did like the voice command feature of the '13 which is where all cars are heading for safety's sake. One needs to be very careful during the first few weeks of ownership of a CUE car to be safe and not get distracted by the human errors or confusing responses from the system. I got a full color photo of the Endeavor space shuttle with every light, screen and switch lit up before many of its functioning instruments were taken out for its final resting place in LA. That picture made me think of the movie "2010, A Space Odyssey" where the humans had almost nothing to do because of "Hal" the central computer who controlled almost everything on the ship. Hal could speak and obey any command presented to him until he turned bad. I envision our SRX's one day being the same way with nothing for us to do except monitor the auto pilot and talk to the computer socially or about personal problems and how to fix them.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

As Dr. Phil is so found of saying, "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior." LOL

I can see that my prediction of the first year of CUE is right on the mark. This is based on how many problem I had with the 2010 MY. I just knew that the 2013 model with CUE was going to get bashed for deficiencies. I think Dr. Phil is on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    ... I can see that my prediction of the first year of CUE is right on the mark. This is based on how many problem I had with the 2010 MY. I just knew that the 2013 model with CUE was going to get bashed for deficiencies. I think Dr. Phil is on to something.
    Steve, your prediction that the CUE was going to have deficiencies was a hard one to make. Why is that? Because, in the real world of “continuous” improvements it will happen to each and every manufacture and not just to GM or the brand new CUE. Based on your above reasoning perhaps I should have never bought my first iPhone 4, or the 4s or my the 5? Perhaps I should have waited for iPhone 6 or 7 to come out? Maybe by then the iPhone maps will be perfected? Is APPLE deemed a terrible company because every new model is an improvement or a fix over the previous model? How about Microsoft software? Should we give up on Microsoft because of a bad Windows program that came out and crashed a lot? It is hard to believe that during a product's life, that the second, third, fourth, fifth generations etc. will be improved upon based on latest technology, improvements and or customer feedback?

Steve, most of your posts to me seem to carry similar themes. I would hazard to guess that when you got your first smart phone you read the manual from cover to cover and had no questions to ask and of course you could figure out every new feature easily right? I would further guess that you would expect that every new phone APP to work perfectly with no updates right? Do you expect that every new Windows system to be the best operating system ever when it first comes out on the market too? All these will certainly get updates in order to address future fixes etc. It appears to me that your next choice of vehicles will certainly not be Cadillac based on your past critical comments made on our SRX website. Most of us on our website are aware that you feel betrayed because you were apparently drawn into buying the first year 2010 GEN II SRX and because of that you still have some lingering issues. I truly am sorry that you experienced some problems with your 2010 as I did too in the early production run, however my 2010 was fixed to my complete satisfaction and my 2012 and so far my 2013 have been a perfect experience for me.

With my 2013 SRX, as all of my other previous new vehicles, I have found to have been an improvement over the previous MY model. I fully expect that 2014 and beyond will also be enhanced and improved as well. Below are just a few of the many enhancements I have seen made from my first 2010 SRX to my latest and certainly not my last SRX.

Improvements since the 2010 MY SRX:
    -Free Oil Changes and Tire Rotation
    -Auto Dry Brakes
    -The new 308 HP 3.6 L engine satisfies the desire for more torque & power and has the most standard power in its class.
    -Heated Steering Wheel
    -The better sound deadening - dual layer insulated glass and added insulation makes for a quieter cabin.
    -Added more elegant front and lower grilles
    -2 beautiful new one-piece optional 20" wheels
    -New plusher seats give me a more luxurious feeling and my riding experience has dramatically improved.
    -CUE is the first interface to use "Natural Voice Recognition" for music, navigation and phone commands.
    -New Driver Awareness Package with Rear Cross Traffic Alert/ Forward Collision Alert/ Lane Departure Warning with new Vibrating Alert Seats and the added new Driver Assist Package too

As an avid car enthusiast I will never stop looking for the best combination of latest technologies, newest safety features along with great value and affordability in my next vehicle. To me the new CUE is a huge step forward and with each new software modification and continuous improvements that will be made to it, it will be even that much better!

Marc,

I'm sure in about 2-3 years CUE will be fine. After all, to hear you tell it, your 2012 was marvelous. So it took from 2010 to 2012 to get it all working. I predict (there's that pesky word you don't like again), that by 2015 CUE will have arrived. Too bad my warranty on my 2010 will be long gone by then. And oh, by the way, don't feel the need to write a novel every time someone else's experience is less stellar than yours.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Its been my experience that Consumer Reports despises any american made car. They may consider themselves unbiased, but they never seem to have ANYTHING good to say, and I cant believe that there isnt anything. They are a niche, where people who like to bitch a lot, get to say their piece. Thats not to say they dont deserve their chance to voice their opinions.
    I see far more posts here about how crappy the backup camera or non-HID headlights are. I dont doubt those people are frustrated, for whatever reason. But the fact remains, for every 10 people who voice their displeasure with something on the internet, there are hundreds who are content, and just dont feel a need to add to the SNR by posting it. Pissed off people post, happy people are just happy. Not making any judgement about either group... I'm just sayin'....
    That said, I wont waste my time reading the CR report. I dont really care what they say.
    And Steve, I would estimate that not a SINGLE thing you predicted is true. You have your opinion that it is slow, refuted by many. And one or two questions about additional apps. Not as single person has complained about crashes or anything as severe as MyFord Touch. CUE is complicated, and I know this because I drove an ATS for a week with it. But there was NOTHING wrong with it.
    Whine all you want, bitch all you want, moan all you want. The '13s are getting criticized by some, with no regard to its overall success. And as I finish this post, I am even upset with myself for losing 5 minutes of my time posting my opinion because this stupid computer wont read my thoughts and posting them instantaneously... After all, thats what I THOUGHT I was getting when I bought it!
    Marc NY and Marc NY like this.

Marc, you make a good point about every new product that comes out has to start somewhere and the evolution of improvements continue from there. My only problem with your analogy is that most of the software makers have constant upgrades to their initial products that you can either buy or are free like Microsoft auto updates and the indomitable Adobe. If we could expect Cadillac to offer the new and improved version of CUE as it evolves that would be great but we know they won't. I have Windows Vista and it automatically updates at no charge while I sleep. The new Iphone offers updates at no charge when they improve it or fix a glitch and these are cheap products. We have invested tens of thousands of dollars and we get the raspberry from Cadillac when they improve their software. Obviously GM cannot offer us a new engine in our older models when a new engine comes out but software is cheap and would build good customer trust for future car purchases. Maybe they will see the light on this simple matter and pass it on to their good customers even at a small charge to us.

Huey, I too do not care for CR and agree that they ALWAYS find Toyota and Honda the best at everything. I had a 2002 Tahoe that they hated but I had it ten years and only took it back one time for a new ignition switch which they replaced for free. I did have an auto ride problem but that was in the tenth year at 135,000 miles and I traded it for my '11 SRX. I think people like Steve and others feel like that some items don't seem to have been researched very deeply by GM before they were put into our cars. Just today I had to have my front seat passenger work the sun roof because it is such a distraction to make it do anything but open completely or close. My Tahoe was so easy that it required no attention to operate it. Things like that are puzzling because GM made both of the cars and the switches so why the complexity of one and not the other? Another is the HIDs and how much they would have added to the car if they had been standard instead of being offered only on two models as an upgrade. Other creature comforts, like a heated wheel or seats, I can understand them being options but good headlights like they have on KIAs and Hyundai's? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    ... Obviously GM cannot offer a new engine when a new model comes out but software is cheap and would build good customer trust for future car purchases. Maybe they will see the light on this simple matter and pass it on to their good customers.
    I would certainly have to agree with you 100% on that point! I will have to ask around but I do believe that one reason GM's OEM Vendor has put into the CUE the ability to easily look up the software version, is perhaps to be able to better help owners to verify and update future revisions. I would hope that the OEM Vendor will allow for a updates as needed. What I would love to see is the system being able to update through OnStar or perhaps by using your Internet phone service rather having to rely on going to the Dealership to do that.

I can only imagine the outrageous expense I'm going to incur when my 2010 is out of warranty and needs a software update. My 2010 has 18K miles on it and it's been in the shop more than my last 3 Infinitis were combined. This is but one example of why CR "hates" American cars.

A lot of Consumer Reports data is derived from surveys of customers who actually own the vehicles. So if the customers are relaying bad experiences and giving low marks, we need to send you guys out to give them a good talkin' to about how to not expect so much of their $40-50K vehicle.

I think that dealerships should be required to disclose how much a warranty repair would have cost the customer if they would have had to pay for it. That way they at least have some idea of where they are headed when the warranty runs out. Do they ditch the bitch and make a switch, buy an extended warranty, or cross their fingers and pray nothing breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I can only imagine the outrageous expense I'm going to incur when my 2010 is out of warranty and needs a software update...
    How much $$$ do you consider is an "outrageous expense" ... ? BTW: Have you ever thought to ask your dealer what it may cost to have a software update... that is if you needed one and if you were actually out of warranty???

Hmm, no I didn't think so...

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

I don't care for CR either, they're just to bias in too many areas. I've had an opportunity to have a CUE SRX for a weekend and thought it was OK. Like any new technology it will improve over time, so the 14s and 15s will be improved. I'll be due for a new car in 15 so I hope all the bugs are out and improvements have completed.
    Bill

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by paid4c4
    I don't care for CR either, they're just to bias in too many areas. I've had an opportunity to have a CUE SRX for a weekend and thought it was OK. Like any new technology it will improve over time, so the 14s and 15s will be improved. I'll be due for a new car in 15 so I hope all the bugs are out and improvements have completed.
    Bill
    Consumer Reports is just not a good resource in this area. They rarely have reports on vehicles that are issuable. They nit pick and do exhibit bias at times. I'm not specifically referring to CUE.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.