Cadillac is taking heat over CUE - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cadillac is taking heat over CUE in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by sube5186 I'm a techno geek myself, so I always welcome any type of new computer technology. My ...
    beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Re: Cadillas is taking heat over CUE

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    I'm a techno geek myself, so I always welcome any type of new computer technology. My question is this. What are the technologically challenged folks (like my Dad) supposed to do with a system like CUE? Dad never did figure out how to program the VCR. Now everyone's moved on to DVRs and he's more confused than ever. Maybe there should be an alternative to CUE. How about having a traditional system with good old fashioned "buttons" and making CUE an option? I understand Cadillac is trying to appeal to the younger generation. But they're doing so at the risk of losing their older fan base. I can't imagine the average 70 year old mastering CUE with any fluidity.

Sube
    voice control...

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Well said sube!!!!! The CUE is not for the old folks and maybe not for all the young as well!!!!

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

sube that is one of the most condescending and biased statements I have ever read on a car forum. I am a senior and I love computers, gadgets and electronic improvements of any kind. I would never insult your Dad by calling him electronically ignorant and I do not think you should call me or any other member of this forum that either. One thing I can tell you about getting old is that you look for the simplest most trouble free method of doing things. This comes from many years of trying different ways to accomplish the same tasks. We have learned that the old term KISS is probably the most important thing in preventing operational errors. CUE is the first step in a long process that is looking to make driving easier and more friendly and as a gadget it is fun to play with. Trouble free? Ease of use? Distracting? We will see, but in the mean time lay off us old folks and try and see if you can program your Iphone.
    allgm and allgm like this.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy
    sube that is one of the most condescending and biased statements I have ever read on a car forum. I am a senior and I love computers, gadgets and electronic improvements of any kind. I would never insult your Dad by calling him electronically ignorant and I do not think you should call me or any other member of this forum that either. One thing I can tell you about getting old is that you look for the simplest most trouble free method of doing things. This comes from many years of trying different ways to accomplish the same tasks. We have learned that the old term KISS is probably the most important thing in preventing operational errors. CUE is the first step in a long process that is looking to make driving easier and more friendly and as a gadget it is fun to play with. Trouble free? Ease of use? Distracting? We will see, but in the mean time lay off us old folks and try and see if you can program your Iphone.
    Old, young, or in the middle, some would prefer simpler. BMW forced iDrive on buyers, and I can tell you that it can be downright frustrating at times! I had a 2006 530xi, and couldn't adjust the climate or radio without first waiting for the system to boot up(sometimes 20+ seconds) and then drilling through menus. I like my SRX because I can press easy to understand buttons. This is my first Cadillac and I'm pleased with the tech features, but like the straightforward operation of many things. I'm already thinking that this may be my last Cadillac with all the talk of CUE. I felt this way even before the comments here. If CUE is not optional, you can count me out. I should also say that I like technology, but there's a limit.

kiboater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    I can't imagine the average 70 year old mastering CUE with any fluidity.
    Sube
    I am sure Sube will be able to convince Cadillac to buy back my 2013 SRX because I am too old to drive it. I am glad Sube is an expert on CUE with his 2010 SRX.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. What I was trying to say is that the older we all get, the less enthusiastic we are about change. Most people who have been driving cars with buttons for 50 years aren't going to be too eager having the relearn the operational process. For those of you who are up in years and this doesn't apply, more power to you, but I doubt you're in the majority. No need to get offended. I'm really not that far behind you myself.

Sube

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

In all fairness I have found Sube to be a member who has a lot of great insight, knowledge and is one that exhibits a lot of positive attitude on our website. His comments have been very useful to me and many others during my short time on the SRX website. I honestly think his comments were not meant to be disparaging to any particular age group especially our elderly members. I am 62 and I certainly enjoy new hi tech gadgets i.e. iPhone 5 & CUE etc.

The problem I find with the learning curve of the new CUE is that I am so darn busy that I really don't take the time I should to sit down and thoroughly go through all of the instructions and owner’s manual. I must admit that I am somewhat lazy for I usually will go thru an owner’s manual or instructions sheet when all else fails me. LOL

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

In all fairness I have found Sube to be a member who has a lot of great insight, knowledge and is one that exhibits a lot of positive attitude on our SRX website. His comments have been very useful to me and many others during my short time on the SRX website.
    Sube? He was here 3 years ago when I got my 2010 SRX. He and I had many great conversations and I agree with Marc, he's been nothing but helpful and courteous.

He's not the kind of person that would purposely make disparaging remarks.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Why is it that if someone doesn't like or want CUE, they are branded a troublemaker? Some folks just want to get in the car and be able to wing it. Sure you can read the manual and get more out of it, but that shouldn't be a requirement. For the record, I'm 48 and have always considered myself to be a gadget and tech guy. I just don't want my car to have an iPad looking screen that controls everything. Too problematic. Can you say My Ford Touch? While some may embrace this, it seems to me that it's going to take some time to work it it out. SRX buyers shouldn't be beta testers.

hambone8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium

15 year IT guy here. 37 yr old. and, no i dont work at the geek squad at your local big box store. I never expected an automobile management system ( lack of a better description) to impress me as much as a fourth and fifth generation iOS device. I was willing to be far less demanding on the system. I am very pleased with the cue overall baring a few issues that I don't consider a deal breaker. Never anticipated the voice recognition to be as good as siri ( same company provides the voice) at this time. Gotta keep in mind this is generation 1. I don't recall many gen 1 products that wasn't ****ed up some areas. I never thought cue was having hardware issues. It's all software which CAN be patched. I strongly believe these type of systems are our future and they will only get more intricate, powerful, risky, buggy, amazing, and frustrating as time goes on. Yeah, it's going to be a pain in the ass at times, but when it works it will be a sight to see. The tl:dr for you redditors out there is bring it with your tech heavy vehicles. Not only will I adapt to it, but also embrace it.

And I just recently learned, 3 2013 or 2014
    gm vehicles will feature an apple licensed version of Siri next year. Ina few years cue or equivalent will be "featured" in every vehicle.

Fear SKYNET

Apologies just in case. Buzzed....

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

1) don't touch the screen while driving
    2) use voice control when ever possible and the 5-way steering wheel control when you can't use voice
    3) love your CUE
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I would like to start a general CUE HELP thread for this SRX forum if one doesn't already exist. I'll wait to hear from the resident experts before considering to do that.

I just took possession of my new 2013 SRX this morning. I probably spent about 30 minutes setting up and using CUE. Now mind you, 30 minutes is not a lot of time to get to know a system like this. However, I feel that I accomplished quite a bit in that short amount of time and even got a general idea of how well CUE really performs.

In less than 15 minutes I was able to set up all my radio presets. Pretty easy stuff. Tune to the station you want and hold the preset button. I am really pleased by the amount of pages of presets that are available. I think I filled up 3 pages worth, perhaps 4 (if it goes that high).

The voice command is pretty incredible. I was amazed how accurate it was. For instance, I started by saying "Play XM 34." The responder repeated my command and tuned to XM 34. So, just for kicks I said, "Play 20 on 20." That's the name of an XM channel. The responder immediately recognized the request and tuned to XM 20 on 20. So, I don't even have to remember station numbers -- just say the name of the channel.

Coming off of a 2010 SRX I was really won over how much this technology improved. In my 2010, the voice command would never recognize what I said on the first try. Here, it was effortless.

As for CUE, I found it very fast and responsive thus far. In fact, it was incredibly intuitive to use, but then again, I have been using iPads, iPhones and Android devices for the past few years so basically the interface and thought process is not far off from that. It seems Cadillac Engineers actually asked themselves how an iPhone/iPad/Android user would approach this system. If you have any of those devices, you'll figure out CUE immediately.

I need more time with this, of course, and I do have questions. I want to start a new thread where I'll ask them. Is that okay or does one exist here?

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    I would like to start a general CUE HELP thread for this SRX forum if one doesn't already exist. I'll wait to hear from the resident experts before considering to do that... I need more time with this, of course, and I do have questions. I want to start a new thread where I'll ask them. Is that okay or does one exist here?
    I would ask TheCaptain if we could have him start up a special thread or a special forum where we can address all our CUE questions in. This way for those that want to participate can go to that special topic thread to talk about issues or questions they may have with their new CUE system and for those that don't want to talk about the CUE they won't have to visit that thread or particular forum. That is why we add "topic" specific forums on my other car fanactic/ enthusiast website where I am an Administrator on.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

There should probably be a CUE subforum that is not tied to each vehicle's subforum so the CUE stuff doesn't get fragmented between all the vehilces but maybe have it sym-linked in each vehicle's sub-forum so it's easy to get to and notice
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Marc and Rippy,

Thanks.

Sending a PM to TheCaptain now. Going to quote Rippy's excellent suggestion.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.