Cadillac is taking heat over CUE - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cadillac is taking heat over CUE in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I test drove the 2013 with Cue and Navigation and I was quite impressed. The Voice recognition was awesome. You ...
    algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Re: Cadillas is taking heat over CUE

I test drove the 2013 with Cue and Navigation and I was quite impressed. The Voice recognition was awesome. You can talk at regular speed and it recognizes everything you say. It actually goofs up the slower you talk! I found the CUE interface intuitive and easy to use. I'm a geek, so that probably helps. I could see my wife having serious issues using it as she is "Technophobic".

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This is good news. I didn't even test drive my 2013 SRX as I was so impressed with the 2010. So, I am looking forward getting into it in a few days and trying out CUE.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Here's the latest Consumer Reports article on CUE:

CADILLAC
    New Cadillac CUE infotainment system frustrates
    Nov 21, 2012 9:00 AM

Our newly tested Cadillac XTS is a wonderfully luxurious sedan, with a very spacious and well-appointed cabin. However, the XTS is hampered by a new high-tech infotainment system called CUE, for Cadillac User Experience.

With CUE, conventional buttons and knobs are replaced by a touch screen and flush touch-sensitive buttons. The system is so convoluted and frustrating that it detracts from the XTS's easy-going and otherwise pampering environment.

CUE has some things going for it. The system looks extremely impressive in the showroom, with the center dashboard being a swath of glossy piano black and chrome accents. And smart-phone connectivity and voice-command functions mostly work well. But a deeper look reveals plenty of issues.

The customizable touch screen looks nice and lets you sort icons to your liking and delete ones you don't use. But CUE hides some icons from sight until your hand comes within proximity of the screen. That creates something of a moving target, frustrating your ability to easily aim for desired on-screen spot. You're often flipping through screens, taking several steps to find what you want. And the touch screen sometimes needs a rather hard tap to register an input.

Cadillac aimed to model CUE after the input methods on a smart phone or tablet, incorporating swipe gestures. However, scrolling through menus can be slow and cumbersome. Doing this action just isn't the same as when you're using handheld electronics, partly because you can give them more attention since you're (hopefully) not driving when using them.

Forget about blindly reaching for a big knob to crank up the volume or dial in a station—because there aren't any. Instead you need to take your eyes from the road to find the fussy flush control you want. It looks like you should tap the raised "metal" sections on the panel, but you're actually supposed to tap just above them where the labels appear.

A unique feature is that CUE tries to duplicate the touch "haptic" feedback of a normal button by sending a small vibration through the screen or control beneath your finger tip. But this often is ill-timed or slow to react. It all seems like a lot of complication just to make a button look high-tech.

Steering-wheel mounted buttons can be quicker and easier than using the screen and center stack, but you can wind up diving deep into on-screen menus. The steering wheel toggle is really overly complicated and pushing straight-in to "select" an entry only works part of the time.

Perhaps it's inevitable to ask how CUE compares to MyFord/MyLincoln Touch, Ford's also-frustrating high-tech control system. On the plus side, CUE generally has larger fonts and simpler screens. In our experience, it isn't as buggy as MyFord Touch. However, it's considerably easier to navigate the Ford system's logic, making it less of a hassle to find what you want. And some versions of MyFord Touch still have conventional buttons and knobs, unlike CUE.

Since this is the first iteration of CUE, the system will undoubtedly evolve. We expect ongoing updates like Ford has done with MyFord Touch. But CUE is destined to spread through the Cadillac line-up, starting with the XTS and ATS and moving to the SRX for 2013. This is a shame, because this control system definitely will hurt our test scores for these otherwise nice cars.

Check out our video below for more on Cadillac's CUE system. And see our detailed XTS road test, complete with a road test video.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

You don't have to take your eyes off the road to crank up/down the volume. You have a steering wheel button, and once everybody figures out how to use the volume "slide" control, it will be second nature.

My dad who hasn't played with touchscreen tech too much was confused when using CUE because he wasn't keeping track of where some of his fingers were touching, and so other fingers were selecting items that he wasn't wanting. He figured it was CUE's fault until i pointed out his three fingers touched before his main did.

And about an Ipad with the vehicle? Maybe some of us don't want any crapple products...
    Marc NY and Marc NY like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I wonder why CR didn't even mention the natural voice recognition...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

My experience with CR has been that they praise only the autos that they have praised in the past. Innovation has never been big with them unless it was one of the many loser EV's that they love. It was obvious from the article that they did not give the CUE the amount of time it required to master or to take advantage of its many new features. They treat it like a rental car and expect it to be instantly understandable and usable by the untrained. Those days are rapidly vanishing for most of the high end cars and we as the driving public should expect to spend more time learning how to use our new high tech gadgets. To me the most obvious path is voice control. No other method offers the safety of that approach. For CR not to have at least attempted to use it and tout its inherent safety is indicative of their bias.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    To me the most obvious path is voice control. No other method offers the safety of that approach. For CR not to have at least attempted to use it and tout its inherent safety is indicative of their bias.

exactly
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    My experience with CR has been that they praise only the autos that they have praised in the past. Innovation has never been big with them unless it was one of the many loser EV's that they love. It was obvious from the article that they did not give the CUE the amount of time it required to master or to take advantage of its many new features. They treat it like a rental car and expect it to be instantly understandable and usable by the untrained. Those days are rapidly vanishing for most of the high end cars and we as the driving public should expect to spend more time learning how to use our new high tech gadgets. To me the most obvious path is voice control. No other method offers the safety of that approach. For CR not to have at least attempted to use it and tout its inherent safety is indicative of their bias.
    Funny you should say that. There were quite of number of postings following the CUE review that took CR to task for being stuck in the past. I have to agree. My main beef with CUE is I think they used an under-powered processor in this first incarnation--just like the engine in my 2010 is under-powered. They finally put a 3.6L engine in the 2012 model and the last loaner I had much more power which made all the difference in the world.

I think when CUE gets a better processor, the lag that so many reviewers have complained about will be gone. If there is one thing I absolutely hate in touch screen interfaces, it's lag. My first Android phone had that problem until I rooted it and put a custom ROM on it. Problem solved. Now I just picked up a new Samsung Galaxy Note II with a quad-core processor, no lag at all.

If the touch screen can't keep up with Data (from Star Trek the Next Generation), then it's too slow! LOL!!

Steve,

First, the Note 2 ROCKS! Just got one.

Second, as I await to pick up my new SRX, just how bad is the lag on CUE?

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    Steve,

First, the Note 2 ROCKS! Just got one.

Second, as I await to pick up my new SRX, just how bad is the lag on CUE?
    Cue lag? Well, that's a matter of person preference, I think. For me, it's too much. I don't like to wait between actions. I want the screen to snap. CUE doesn't snap. When driving down the road I want minimal distraction and I don't think CUE is fast enough to deliver that yet. The steering wheel controls mitigate that somewhat since you don't have to fiddle with the touch screen. I don't own a Caddy with CUE but just played with one at the dealership for a while. For me, it's wait and see.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I just flew to LA and back and the seat back touch screens were slow to respond but once you understood that they were slow it was easy to use them. In a car while driving it makes sense to have a slow response so that you can make a touch and then look back at the road and then back at the screen. If it was instantaneous then you would stay focused on the screen and the sequence required to the destination input you desired. I can see GM not wanting the driver to type and respond as fast as he/she could on his/her home computer. Really, stop and think about it. Can you actually type on apps and the responses that they give and drive safely at the same time? I think that the voice response will take over the touch screen for most of us as soon as we can master it.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

NJR,
    I think everyone will be very interested to hear your actual use remarks. I drove an ATS for over a week with cue, didnt just read about it, didnt just play with it for a few minutes.
    It doesnt seem to matter to the discussion, but I have to refute every thing thats been said about CUE. I guess its why I just shake my head at CR and other comments. I dont know what they evaluated. I could go over every single criticism, but its a waste of time to argue over. Suffice to say, I disagree with everything. Feedback is firm and positive, its fast and sure and full featured. I did not use the voice processing, so cant comment on that, but it seems voice is the one thing that its agreed is functional.
    I'm sure after you've used it for a while, not just a couple minutes, you'll agree, as all of the ACTUAL users here have said.

Huey,

I am a huge tech geek. I run a very large Home Theater board, very much like this one.

I also read Consumer Reports on a regular basis -- but not for tech reviews. As someone who has a general familiarity with the latest gadgets, I am continually in disbelief over the things Consumer Reports says about certain televisions and electronics. I think they do much better rating dishwashers, paint and detergents than they do electronics. Then again, since those latter subjects are not my expertise, perhaps they are just as bad rating those things.

I think all of us agree that Consumer Reports is not necessarily the final word in rating a product.

Getting my SRX this weekend (hopefully). Will come back with my thoughts on CUE in about a week. Perhaps there will be other thoughts posted here before then.

Thanks for putting me in a more optimistic mood about CUE. I really liked reading your take on it, Huey.

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

I'm an electrical engineer and long time computer user/programmer, also an iPad and iPhone user. After using CUE for a month on my 2013 SRX, I think it performs well. The only issue I have occasionally seen is a slow and jerky icon animation when leaving the home screen. It doesn't happen every time though. The icons reduce in size and fade away but it's not real smooth. It may be due to another resource hungry background task running. Overall I'm extremely happy with it.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

I'm a techno geek myself, so I always welcome any type of new computer technology. My question is this. What are the technologically challenged folks (like my Dad) supposed to do with a system like CUE? Dad never did figure out how to program the VCR. Now everyone's moved on to DVRs and he's more confused than ever. Maybe there should be an alternative to CUE. How about having a traditional system with good old fashioned "buttons" and making CUE an option? I understand Cadillac is trying to appeal to the younger generation. But they're doing so at the risk of losing their older fan base. I can't imagine the average 70 year old mastering CUE with any fluidity.

Sube

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.