Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread

37K views 164 replies 40 participants last post by  GTPprix 
#1 ·
I'm kind of surprised there isn't a sticky for this but here's my initial go at it. (I hope the board moderators can have a sticky post with the current Cue version, what changed, when it was released, etc.) Cue is OK but it has rough edges for sure. I encourage others to submit their suggestions.

* iPhone via USB - Cover art for same song but different band doesn't update / stays same
* Doesn't return to navigation - when I have navigation up, take a call with the hands free button (and don't touch anything else) Cue screen never returns to navigation, even after call ends. Agh!
* Voice prompts not short enough - On other new Chevy's I could start talking before the beep (if quick enough) and issue a command before (and it would accept it). Even with Short Prompts, I have to hear the lady ask me to issue a command EVERY SINGLE TIME. /cry
* If there is just one match for *anything* just go ahead and do it. I don't need to confirm it. If it's "wrong" it's still quicker to hit the cancel button and start a new command vs. waiting for the car to speak the command and speak a reply to it. Yeah I know the 5 way can help with this some, but seriously, why confirm if there just one match??? I know this may not be for everyone, but please give me option so I can enable this behavior.
* Voice input for Navigation to Address - sort of same as above, but if I confirm it on the smaller display, why do I need to hit "Go" on the Cue display? I know these are somewhat separate systems, but the additional "Go" confirmation seems redundant.
* Prompt length zero / errors only - only have the car talk if I make a mistake, if I take too long to reply, etc. Even with "Short Prompts" the car talks WAY too much. I've had the car for two weeks. I know most of the menu's and don't need the unsolicited prompts/"help" all the time.

See less See more
#2 ·
* If i pick a song with the steering wheel controls... and then later navigate to the music search section it will bring me back to the playlist or album I selected the current song from. Perfect. However if I click the album icon (or browse button) on the 8" display it won't bring me to that album or playlist I selected the current song from. It will bring me back to the last album/playlist I selected from that 8" display. (or just to the main browse page if i haven't done this since starting the car). Basically, the last browsing location needs to be shared across the 8" display and the Driver Information Center (DIC).

* When I click browse it always seems to default to "Genre" which is pretty useless for me. Maybe it should be customizable?

* Sometimes, the DIC locks up on me. It has happened in two instances... one was when it was indexing my SD card... It just showed the yellow circle (animating) but the 5-way controller was seemingly disabled. Couldn't go back or scroll up/down to other sections. Couldn't even highlight one of the side panels. The other time happens (sometimes) when I swipe directions from the 8" display over to the DIC. It may be when the navigation panel is already selected in the main screen on the DIC and then you swipe. The directions work fine but I cannot use the 5-way controller to highlight anything other than navigation... can't get to phone, audio, etc.

* When cruise control is enabled it automatically takes up the right side on my DIC. That's fine. But when it is turned off... it should reset the view I had before I enabled cruise. So I usually have the average MPG there. Once cruise control is turned off (not just disengaged) It should go back to average MPG. Right now it just stays at "Cruise Set to OFF" and i have to change it back to average MPG.

* I have a favorite to call a contact in my phonebook. When my phone is not in the car or not connected to bluetooth it will disable that favorite. Great. However sometimes when I get in the car and my phone connects it doesn't re-enable that favorite.

* Allow us to disable certain "media" sources. I will almost never use a CD so I'd rather not scroll through it every time. Same for AUX in.

* When I mute the system, it should pause the song I'm playing (if it's an iPod, SD, etc). Restart once I unmute.

* Support for reading/sending texts and emails? That is also in my CUE manual but isn't supported yet.

* Sometimes I get the same weather alert multiple times without even moving. Other times it occurs every few minutes when I'm driving. Other times it works perfectly.

* Not necessarily CUE related... but what happened with "adaptive remote start?" It has options for "auto defog" and "auto rear defrost" but why not "auto heated seats" or "auto heated steering wheel" ?

I love CUE, but the original poster is right... it's a bit rough around the edges. Hopefully people at Cadillac will look for reviews such as these for direction on future improvement.

----------

* Voice prompts not short enough - On other new Chevy's I could start talking before the beep (if quick enough) and issue a command before (and it would accept it). Even with Short Prompts, I have to hear the lady ask me to issue a command EVERY SINGLE TIME. /cry
You can interrupt her and get straight to the beep by hitting the voice command while she's talking I believe. You can also change the prompt length in the settings. I set mine to short and it definitely helps.

#4 ·
* Allow us to disable certain "media" sources. I will almost never use a CD so I'd rather not scroll through it every time. Same for AUX in.

* Support for reading/sending texts and emails? That is also in my CUE manual but isn't supported yet.

I love CUE, but the original poster is right... it's a bit rough around the edges. Hopefully people at Cadillac will look for reviews such as these for direction on future improvement.

----------

You can interrupt her and get straight to the beep by hitting the voice command while she's talking I believe. You can also change the prompt length in the settings. I set mine to short and it definitely helps.
The media sources is a good suggestion. Furthermore, I wish I could save an input as a favorite. (Say USB in one click. Shortest route currently seems to be voice "Input USB". I can touch through Media on the Cue display, but like you said, I have to skip over inputs that I'll never use. (line in, CD, etc.)

The sending and reading email/texts is something that had me wondering too. I just figured it was something related to the XTS that we didn't get. The passenger TV displays in the headrests are mentioned somewhere too in the manual and figured those were XTS related as well. However, it never says its specific to certain models!

I'll admit it's not a common address but "48 East North Broadway, Columbus, Ohio" seems to be impossible for Cue to accurately understand. Cue broke it down into sections and still didn't come very close. Eventually, I had to call an OnStar Operator and Store it as a favorite. (I've since had other people try as well, female and male both, and Cue doesn't come even close)

I have the prompts already set to short and they are already entirely too long for me. Cue really needs an expert mode. At this rate, the Handsfree Call button, Call Cancel button and the 5-way navigator will be worn out in my car in under a year by me just trying to get Cue to do what I want faster. The iPad Cue app has an expert skill level, can I get same on the Cue in my car please? Listening and responding to voice prompts is soooooo slooooowwww. Then if it misunderstands you...

#3 ·
* Voice input for Navigation to Address - sort of same as above, but if I confirm it on the smaller display, why do I need to hit "Go" on the Cue display? I know these are somewhat separate systems, but the additional "Go" confirmation seems redundant.
They're not supposed to be separate. In fact they're connected on the same bus and share the same core data. So yes, what nfavor said plus:

* In shuffle mode, remember the previously played songs so that I can use the previous button to replay the song I just heard instead of selecting another random song.
* MTP support called out in ATS manual but not in CUE manual. My android phone (GNex) uses MTP support for access to its music library, but it doesn't appear to work (I just use bluetooth streaming which works really well including track changes).

Don't get me wrong. A LOT of what CUE does, it does really well. But here's us trying to make Caddy even better. :)

#5 ·
I agree with all of the ideas stated above, and hopefully Cadillac will be able to implement some of them in the near future with an update.

I found that by saving a playlist on each device as a favorite, I can switch to that media source by just tapping on the playlist. So perhaps a temporary solution would be to create a playlist with the name of the device and store one song (if that is even necessary), then mark that playlist as favorite. It beats switching through all them media sources that are not used. The only downside is that it takes awhile for the media playlists to cue up.

Has anyone had their ipod freeze after just a few songs being played once starting up the car? It's happened several times with me and I'm not sure if it's because of an issue with the newest 160gb ipod classic.

#6 ·
bugs: brand new '13 XTS picked up Dec 1st 2012 (dealer confirmed latest cue updates are installed)

-when in phone call using nokia symbian OS, Blackberry and Iphone5 IOS6 the Cue main display shows battery and signal. the DIC shows battery as empty.
-phone contacts come through as caller ID via Bluetooth. There is a section for the callers photo (if stored in your phone) this is always blank.
-caller ID names do not come through, only get the number on Cue and DIC on incoming calls. outgoing calls this seems to work.
-on some sources, such as pandora the up/down track keys located on the steering wheel actually switches presets and in turn calls up whatever is preset like a destination for the NAV or XM radio station. however when used with ipod these same buttons change tracks. make them consistent across all sources (eg. ipod=trackup/track down, pandora=thumbs up/thumbs down, cd=track+/track-, radio=next preset/previous preset) or allow the user to program what these do for each source.
-not able to turn down the beeps below 20 on CUE which is still too loud.
-cue (like old CTS) should be able to store its settings for the two driver positions including radio presets, radio station, EQ settings, cabin temp settings.
-driver exit seat position is just 1 position it seems. should be 2 exist seat positions stored independently for the two driver memories.
-Cue does not save seat settings sometimes. dealer says you have to do it several times (so I guess this is a known prob).
-if mirrors are auto tilted when reversing, and you manipulate them whilst in reverse, then:
--they do not return to the normal driving position when you switch to drive.
--their normal driving position and reverse position is screwed up and you have to reset the mirror and store them again using the seat memory buttons.
--If you reverse again they tilt down even further beyond the motors limits.
-heated stearing does not turn on as part of adaptive start, this same feature functions correctly as part of adaptive start on other vehicles such as the escalade
-when car is locked at night, certain dash lights remain lit beyond the exterior AND interior lighting timer and only turn off after 10min. this includes the backlight for the HVAC controls on the dash. during this time the passenger side rear door handle bar light stays on lit very dimmly.
-CUE weather Radar uses a color coding to indicate rain/snow on a map. the colors for rain and snow seem to be mixed up. for example when the feather forecast shows lots of rain right now (and in fact that is what we have, so its accurate) the weather map is indicating lots of snow.

nice to have features:

-allow owners of CUE systems to update firmware and maps at home on their own without going to dealer.
-The only statistics available in the DIC is "instantaneous" fuel economy and trip odometers. It would be good to be able to get the following like most of other GM's starting with my 06 Aurora for example:
--Average fuel economy
--oil pressure
--battery voltage
--trans temp
--engine temp
--other sensory information like vehicle diagnostics data perhaps, time last started, time/date of last position report sent to onstar, etc.
--It would be nice to see some advanced performance and mechanical data on such an advanced system, eg's of this would be as ft/lb torque while accelerating, max RPM's reached, average speed, average RPM, average acceleration, status of suspension mode, etc.
--it would be nice if the CUE main screen had "car" menu to bring up info which is only available on the DIC such as the items listed above.

-other things which would be a huge improvement is to allow direct access to stereo Sources rather than having to toggle through them.
-option to turn off haptic feedback
-option to lock the cue touch and other controls (had an issue with stereo volume turning itself up by itself)
-would nice to be able to bring up the cameras on the cue display on demand like in a BMW
-set your own background picture
-use cue display to bring up photos from media
-ability to enable disable other advanced features from CUE such as traction control, stabil track, auto venting and which functions are enabled/disabled for adaptive remote start.
-ability to brighten/dim display (both cue and DIC) beyond "day, night, auto" independant of ambient lighting in the car. Currently CUE too bright at night.
-rear seat controls should include lockout from the CUE for HVAC and heated rear seat functions (to prevent children from messing with the controls in the back) standard feature on the SUV's currently.
-allow you to close windows/sunroof from remote control and onstar remote link.

#14 · (Edited)
bugs: brand new '13 XTS picked up Dec 1st 2012 (dealer confirmed latest cue updates are installed)-if mirrors are auto tilted when reversing, and you manipulate them whilst in reverse, then:
--they do not return to the normal driving position when you switch to drive.
--their normal driving position and reverse position is screwed up and you have to reset the mirror and store them again using the seat memory buttons.
--If you reverse again they tilt down even further beyond the motors limits.
-heated stearing does not turn on as part of adaptive start, this same feature functions correctly as part of adaptive start on other vehicles such as the escalade
As to Outside Mirrors. Also, while the option to set one or the other or both to show the "curb" is great for parallel parking, I would like an "override" button/or voice command as when backing out in a parking lot or the garage, I like to see what's behind/close to (garage frame) me (other than just the camera view and inside mirror), rather than the asphalt. Once ripped off my outside mirror on my 03 STS
As to heated stearing wheel: To me that's even more important in cold weather than the automatic turning on the heated seats. An unbelievable big oversight, particularly since it is said (*) to take some 3 minutes go get warm. (*) still waiting for my car so only have the manual to guide me.

#7 ·
* Doesn't return to navigation - when I have navigation up, take a call with the hands free button (and don't touch anything else) Cue screen never returns to navigation, even after call ends. Agh!
This has GOT to be a software issue....this does this to me also; just stays on call screen........should automatically go back to Navigation.....any Caddy or GM experts care to comment? :hmm:

#8 ·
Aside from those already mentioned, my main issues...

Siri through CUE just isn't working for me over Bluetooth. Either is iOS navigation apps (any one I've tried, apple maps, tomtom app, etc.) voice directions don't make it through the sound system when it's Bluetooth, which for me is 95% of the time. I have a 4S with iOS 6...

Auto rear defogger does not remember its setting and therefore can never be set to true.

Media indexing takes longer than my commute and appears to start from scratch each time. When I've take longer drives, it does complete, but the next time I drive it, it has to reindex again. Either leave some files on the media card that speeds this up, or allow a USB flash device to be used as a system drive to remember indexing. Each first time I hit the voice button when i get in the car it tells me about this indexing and it's totally annoying.

Why can't I index more than one device connected?

Various random shortcuts work or get greyed out for days and then magically come back.

#9 · (Edited)
Some of these have been mentioned, but I'm going to list my main gripes so far and also say that CUE is more frustrating than useful IMHO.

*Support SDXC cards natively! (Being a new system it's surprising to say the least)
*Index the card/usb once and be done with it! There is NO reason to check it every time, nothing has changed!
*While indexing don't try and play and then of course pause, skip, and lag. It would speed up indexing to have the device unavailable until it's finished.
*Option to disable media sources (I won't use CD ever)
*When you click "media" list the options, it is so frustrating to have to toggle through them.
*Road construction advisories repeated over and over! (Seriously I hear it 4 times 1 way every day on the way to work in the same location, "caution road construction", "road construction", repeat...) Once would be just fine by me.
*Voice prompts are way too long even when set to short
*Voice commands for an artist cannot play everything with a given artist if it has another artist it "features". For instance if I want to hear artist "Drake" and I have "Drake" but also "Drake feat Rihanna" these are treated completed different. So if I want it to play EVERYTHING with artist Drake it can't figure this out and gives some sort of error.
*Random play should remember what it's played so that if you randomize 20 songs, you don't hear song 4 (as an example) 10 times before hearing all 20 songs.
*File folder view for USB/SD card under some advanced view. I know that CUE is trying to make it easy and iTunes like and group everything together. I also know playlists could kind of do what I want, however I'd really like to see the files so that if I have a folder of songs that I want to play, I can just choose that folder.
*Overall CUE is laggy!

(edited: Most bluetooth issues are more than likely related to Android 4.2/4.2.1 which is Google's fault, not GM's)

#10 ·
These problems I have mentioned before but allow me to repeat...

* Large iPod libraries cause indexing problems where you select one song, it plays another. This is currently a huge issue I am addressing with Cadillac and not getting much support on.

* Select a playlist with multiple artists, select a song. When song is over, instead of returning you to the master list in that playlist it only lists related (same) artists in that playlist. Very annoying.

* Playing iPod music. Suddenly decide to switch over to a radio station using my preset favorites. CUE plays radio station but display screen still remains on iPod mode, thus not allowing you to view radio station content.

Glad we have become beta testers for Cadillac while they fix these bugs for future vehicles.

#11 ·
Is there an alternative input method for Nav? Cue normally does well with the adresses, but occasionally, it simply can't get it right. I've used OnStar, but I have no intention of renewing after 6 months. It would be nice if there was a keypad to manually enter an address if Que can't get it right.

#12 ·
Early on I heard of the possiblity of apps for CUE. If so I would love a fuel app. When you pull in to fill up, app could fill in data for you such as odometer reading, miles since last fill up, gas station name and location from Nav data. Screen would come up with fields to enter total gallons, total cost. Data could be recalled and graphing of historic data could be available.

#15 ·
Hello folks. I am an engineer working on the Cadillac CUE system and I apologize for the trouble that you all are experiencing. A lot of the issues listed here are known and we have fixes on the way. I work in the navigation and phone areas and will talk to the audio folks about the other issues listed here.

nfavor, do you have any example addresses that you have found that do not work when entered into the CUE system? We are always making improvements to the address entry algorithm and if I can look up that specific address we will try to resolve that issue. For the media device sourcing issue, that is something we're working on to skip non-connected sources when pressing the Media button. That should make things a little bit easier. I'll take a look at that address to see why it isn't working by voice. About the screen not returning to navigation, that is something we are working on and should be fixed soon in a coming update. For the voice prompts, try pushing the speech recognition button while she is speaking to skip ahead to the beep so you can say your command quicker. For the confirmation of a single match, that is something that we've gone back and forth on and we wanted to lean more toward making sure it was correct if we aren't sure we understood correctly. We are looking at a feature of allowing you to customize if the system would confirm those types of commands or not, so stay tuned. For having to hit Go on the second screen, this was also another choice made by our team because someone may just be looking at a map of the location, or what time they might get there, or how far away it is without actually wanting to start route guidance. We are looking at ways at improving this flow to satisfy both types of usages, but thanks for the feedback. It's good to know what people are expecting.

NJRonbo, all of those issues look to be ones that have also been identified and have fixes on the way, so please be patient with us while we get that corrected. I know those are really annoying as I've experienced them myself as well.

bungee91, we are working on skipping audio sources that you don't have anything connected to, so that should simplify things a bit. The road construction advisories is also on the list of things for us to fix very soon. Sorry about that annoyance. For the voice commands, you can also skip ahead any prompt by pushing the speech recognition button on the steering wheel. This will interrupt her speaking and will play the beep. I have come to use this quite a bit when I want to speed things up as well and it works nicely once you know that feature is there.

Yplus, Siri integration is something we're working on tighter integration for the future. It should work much better once that software update is available.

Denchikd, the phone issues you've listed I haven't noticed. I'll take a look into these further. The photo for a contact only works if the phone supports transferring this image over Bluetooth. As far as I know, Android may be the only device that supports this currently. The Pandora up/down steering wheel buttons are being worked on. It looks like Pandora was inadvertently classified as a Radio source, so it is being treated like a radio preset, but it really should be more like a media source where it would skip to the next song when you press it. That fix is coming. I'm a bit curious about the weather radar comment you made. We tried to use the same colors that many websites use such as weather.com for their radar where Green, Yellow, Red are for different levels of rain, pink is a rain/snow mix, and blue is for snow. So if there was rain forecast for your area, it should have showed up green, yellow, or red depending on the severity of rain. For the additional information in the DIC, many of those should be available to you, but have been turned off by default. If you go into the Settings in the DIC, select Info Pages, and then check the ones you would like to see or uncheck the ones you would like to hide. We found that many customers only used a few of those info pages so we tried to simplify it for most people but wanted to allow users to access the information if they wanted to. For the suggestions, I'll see if we have a chance to incorporate some in our future software updates. Thanks for the suggestions!

danscrim, the issue you described was an intentional decision made by our team because we wanted to allow for a driver and a passenger to not be forced to be looking at the same information when a music selection was made from one display. However, I can see the scenario you describe and I will bring it up to see if this is something we might change in a future update. I will check into the cruise control observation. I haven't seen that happen in the vehicle that I have been driving so this may have already been fixed in a software update that will be released soon. I also think the phone favorites are more reliably working in the next update so hopefully that gets resolved as well.

Thanks everyone for the posts! I will try to check back on here when I get time to see what additional comments are posted. Please know that we are working very hard to improve CUE and take this feedback very seriously to prioritize our work and to make this the best system out there.

#25 ·
Hello folks. I am an engineer working on the Cadillac CUE system and I apologize for the trouble that you all are experiencing. A lot of the issues listed here are known and we have fixes on the way. I work in the navigation and phone areas and will talk to the audio folks about the other issues listed here.

Yplus, Siri integration is something we're working on tighter integration for the future. It should work much better once that software update is available.

Thanks everyone for the posts! I will try to check back on here when I get time to see what additional comments are posted. Please know that we are working very hard to improve CUE and take this feedback very seriously to prioritize our work and to make this the best system out there.

Codeman,

Thanks so much for posting! This makes me feel much better knowing there is some representation from the CUE team here. Just knowing that you've seen our list and have fixes coming is a relief to know about. Hopefully the Siri integration you are talking about will be sooner rather than later. I can volunteer as a beta tester! ;)

#16 · (Edited)
@ codeman71 Thanks for your post, it's great to hear that those who design and work on the system read this forum. I'm sure it is not easy to "please everyone". Never mind having to deal with an ever changing technical environment on an ongoing basis.

You may wish to also read my request (rather long post) for some technical documentation in the threat http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-xts-forum/274566-new-cue-problems.html which, while not easy in every case, would assist both customers and GM personnel, be it at dealers or at Customer Support, as I found out that when asking questions at CDN Customer Support and at my dealer, regarding SD cards they didn't even know the various types available, never mind being able to tell me what is supported by the XTS. And based on various threats people had problems and there should be no need for "trial and error" by customers. The same when I asked about some phone issues. (don't have my XTS Platinum yet - tentative built date Jan 11, nor do I presently own a mobile phone but am in the process of buying one - of course I like a new model but one which works with CUE correctly)

#17 ·
Codeman,

I am very happy to see you here, and on behalf of everyone that owns a CUE system, it is my utmost hope that you will continue to stay here with us.

I was having problems conversing with CUE representatives, but found out that it was due to a communication error involving a wrong email address. Recently I have been contacted by a Cue Supervisor and put back in touch with a rep that I had initially dealing with. So, I can say that it is possible to communicate.

That being said, really need someone here first-hand to continue giving us updates and answering questions.

I am very happy to see that the problems concerning iPod song limits is being addressed. I had no idea that CUE did not support iPods that had more than 4,000 songs on them. This is something that a CUE rep told me over the phone. That is unfortunate. While I realize there is only a small sect of the CUE customer base that have iPods with 7,000 songs on them, I still hope that a fix is truly on the way so that all my songs will be identified.

Also, something very simple I would like to suggest....

How difficult would it be for favorite radio stations that are put in the bookmarks to have the station ID automatically attached to them? I don't want XM 10 showing up in my favorites. Would rather have THE PULSE. Don't want 92.3 showing up. Would rather have K-ROCK (NYC area). I don't see why the station ID can't be pulled from the information that is already there into the favorites tab. What would be even cooler is to have the actual Sirius/XM station logos show up when you save them to favorites -- but I suppose that would be too much to ask.

It just gets to be a pain-in-the-butt manually having to rename all my saved favorites.

#18 ·
CDN XTS said:
As to Outside Mirrors. Also, while the option to set one or the other or both to show the "curb" is great for parallel parking, I would like an "override" button/or voice command as when backing out in a parking lot or the garage, I like to see what's behind/close to (garage frame (*)) me (other than just the camera view and inside mirror), rather than the asphalt.
Completely agree. In fact, I think MB and Audi have the right answer to this issue: the mirror only moves when in reverse *and* the mirror adjustment selector switch is switched to either left or right -- and the mirror that moves is the side that the switch is set to. Leave it in the 'off' position and neither mirror moves. Usually only one side of my car is near a curb; on the other side I need to see traffic. Not liking the 'both mirrors move' default.

----------

danscrim said:
* When cruise control is enabled it automatically takes up the right side on my DIC. That's fine. But when it is turned off... it should reset the view I had before I enabled cruise. So I usually have the average MPG there. Once cruise control is turned off (not just disengaged) It should go back to average MPG. Right now it just stays at "Cruise Set to OFF" and i have to change it back to average MPG.
+1. Same behavior on my ATS. Annoying. If one *really* wanted to be elegant, the system would check to see if there is a blank screen on either side of the DIC, and put the cruise control info there; else put it in the right side. In either case driver pref state should be stored and restored.

Also wish list of mine: give me different iconography preferences. The GM UI design team is in a no win situation -- I prefer very understated, preferably monochrome icons; others may like them as they are. To me some of the icons (fuel range, i'm talking to you) are unbecoming a luxury car. A nit, for sure -- but in this category, it's the details that count. Also, the understated simple icons tend to 'age' well; I'm betting most of these will look pretty dated in five years.

Another wish list: give me an all-in-one trip panel (elapsed time, trip odometer, mpg and, say, clock time) all in one panel, I'll live with a smaller font than normal.

#20 ·
Hi NJRonbo,

I love interacting with customers so I will try to participate here as much as my work schedule allows. I was involved on the Camaro forums after that launched and really enjoying helping customers out (and continue to do so when possible). So I will do my best to be here to answer questions and try to resolve any issues that you guys find.

As for the 4,000 song limit, that is not entirely correct. There is a limitation with speech when you connect an iPod with more than 4,000 songs on it, and the system tells you this when you try to start a speech session. When you have fewer than 4,000 songs, you can simply say the song name after pressing the speech button and it will play it for you, but when you get more than 4,000 you first have to tell it that you want to play a song. Then it will come back and ask you what the song name is. It's a way to manage the memory load so the system is able to manage that many songs, contacts from your phone book, and so on. You can still ask for an artist or album at the first level, but for songs you just have to first tell it you want to listen to a song. But if you are not using speech, this should not be an issue.

You may have posted this on another thread, but what is the problem that you are experiencing with not seeing all of your songs on your iPod? I'll try to check and see if there is some sort of other known issue that I'm not aware of (I am on the interface design team so I don't always know all of the technical details that are handled by other folks within GM).

As far as the radio station favorite labels, this is something we had initially, but had to remove because of the potential for cutting off a station name in an inconvenient location. Because XM can rename any station at any time, we can never be sure where the label is going to be cut off, and we wouldn't want something offensive being displayed. One example could be Willie's Roadho. While you could guess what the name is supposed to be, to some customers this would be offensive and that's not something we'd like to have, so we had to pull the feature and just display the XM station number. For FM, we have a similar thing where some radio stations will actually use their station identification RDS letters to stream artist or song title information. So whatever the current tag for the station was at the time would be displayed, and that could potentially be an inaccurate representation of the station. So, we had to back off that as well and leave it up to the customer to rename to what they would like it to be.

Thanks again for the feedback!

#21 · (Edited)
You may have posted this on another thread, but what is the problem that you are experiencing with not seeing all of your songs on your iPod? I'll try to check and see if there is some sort of other known issue that I'm not aware of (I am on the interface design team so I don't always know all of the technical details that are handled by other folks within GM).
The problem has nothing to do with not seeing all the songs on my iPod. CUE sees all of them, as far as I know.

The problem is that with 7,000 songs in my library, CUE is not playing the correct song when selected. Though it properly indexes all the songs, it doesn't properly match song to the actual title.

Never had this problem in my 2010 SRX without CUE.

Another problem is the way CUE handles playlists. I could have a playlist called BEST OF THE '70s with hundreds of songs from multiple artists. Once I play a song by an artist, and return to the playlist afterwards, the playlist shrinks and only shows songs by that artist instead of showing the original list of songs by multiple artists. I don't understand why the CUE team decided to do that. Playlists are not all about artists. I want my entire playlist to be available at all times, not just a list of artists that I recently selected.

So my question is this...

Is CUE planning to fix the song matching problem with their next update? Will I be able to pick any song in my huge iPod library and expect that song to play?

I know you originally stated that they were, but the follow-up seemed to suggest that perhaps you weren't certain what the issue actually was.

Thank you for your continued assistance here.

#22 ·
I have experienced the exact same song matching issue in the car that I have been driving and it was also driving me up the wall. I filed a report and was told that it had been corrected. I just don't know when that particular fix will be rolled out to customers, but I have been assured it has been fixed.

I haven't personally seen the playlist issue that you bring up, but I will check into that one as well to see if that has also been fixed. That is not intended behavior, so I'll check on it.

#26 ·
codeman71 said:

nfavor, do you have any example addresses that you have found that do not work when entered into the CUE system? We are always making improvements to the address entry algorithm and if I can look up that specific address we will try to resolve that issue. For the media device sourcing issue, that is something we're working on to skip non-connected sources when pressing the Media button. That should make things a little bit easier. I'll take a look at that address to see why it isn't working by voice. About the screen not returning to navigation, that is something we are working on and should be fixed soon in a coming update. For the voice prompts, try pushing the speech recognition button while she is speaking to skip ahead to the beep so you can say your command quicker. For the confirmation of a single match, that is something that we've gone back and forth on and we wanted to lean more toward making sure it was correct if we aren't sure we understood correctly. We are looking at a feature of allowing you to customize if the system would confirm those types of commands or not, so stay tuned. For having to hit Go on the second screen, this was also another choice made by our team because someone may just be looking at a map of the location, or what time they might get there, or how far away it is without actually wanting to start route guidance. We are looking at ways at improving this flow to satisfy both types of usages, but thanks for the feedback. It's good to know what people are expecting.

NJRonbo, all of those issues look to be ones that have also been identified and have fixes on the way, so please be patient with us while we get that corrected. I know those are really annoying as I've experienced them myself as well.

bungee91, we are working on skipping audio sources that you don't have anything connected to, so that should simplify things a bit. The road construction advisories is also on the list of things for us to fix very soon. Sorry about that annoyance. For the voice commands, you can also skip ahead any prompt by pushing the speech recognition button on the steering wheel. This will interrupt her speaking and will play the beep. I have come to use this quite a bit when I want to speed things up as well and it works nicely once you know that feature is there.

Denchikd, the phone issues you've listed I haven't noticed. I'll take a look into these further. The photo for a contact only works if the phone supports transferring this image over Bluetooth. As far as I know, Android may be the only device that supports this currently. The Pandora up/down steering wheel buttons are being worked on. It looks like Pandora was inadvertently classified as a Radio source, so it is being treated like a radio preset, but it really should be more like a media source where it would skip to the next song when you press it. That fix is coming. I'm a bit curious about the weather radar comment you made. We tried to use the same colors that many websites use such as weather.com for their radar where Green, Yellow, Red are for different levels of rain, pink is a rain/snow mix, and blue is for snow. So if there was rain forecast for your area, it should have showed up green, yellow, or red depending on the severity of rain. For the additional information in the DIC, many of those should be available to you, but have been turned off by default. If you go into the Settings in the DIC, select Info Pages, and then check the ones you would like to see or uncheck the ones you would like to hide. We found that many customers only used a few of those info pages so we tried to simplify it for most people but wanted to allow users to access the information if they wanted to. For the suggestions, I'll see if we have a chance to incorporate some in our future software updates. Thanks for the suggestions!

danscrim, the issue you described was an intentional decision made by our team because we wanted to allow for a driver and a passenger to not be forced to be looking at the same information when a music selection was made from one display. However, I can see the scenario you describe and I will bring it up to see if this is something we might change in a future update. I will check into they cruise control observation. I haven't seen that happen in the vehicle that I have been driving so this may have already been fixed in a software update that will be released soon. I also think the phone favorites are more reliably working in the next update so hopefully that gets resolved as well.
Ed a call
Great to have you on board. I would.like the screen go back to the function It was on before I placed a call. Example: I'm listening to XM Watercolors before call then it should go back when call is done. Does the CUE have anything to do with the remote start? If so I programmed it to heat seats and that does not work. Have not tried the same for cool seats. Thank you, Caddy Daddy

G
#27 ·
Just picked up an XTS last week. Love the CUE system but very frusterated by the long time it takes to index the SD card. I did find that if you use a faster SD card it helps a little. I was using a class 6 and switched to a class 10, but it can take 20 minutes to index and that is longer than most of my trips. As others have said, there is no reason to index each time the car is started. Index once and save the data. I have about 1800 songs on the SD Card. I'm impressed that Cadillac has a representative participating here. Can you please address the indexing concern?

G
#28 ·
More suggestions: Some background first, my wife got a 2013 SRX about 2 months ago. After using it on weekends I decided to replace my 2003 DTS and got the XTS. Awesome car. It's fun having two cars that have the almosts the same features. Here are our suggestions:
1. There is an option to set maximum fan speed for the auto mode. Also have an option for which vents the air blows out of. Now when heat is on, it only comes out of the floor vents. Both of us like to have the air come out of the dash vents and the floor vents at the same time. Allow an option of floor vents, dash vents or both in the settings menu.

2. When you change the fan speed using the buttons under the screen, the screen changes to the climate control screen. This is nice but it only stays up for a couple of seconds. It would be nice if it stayed up for 5 seconds so one has a chance to change other settings, such as which vents air comes out of.

3. Instead of just having a media button on the screen which you press to toggel between USB, CD, Aux Input, Ipod, USB card, etc, put individual icons on the screen so one can press the audio sources one wants. That way users can put the less used inputs, such as AUX, on less used screens. I like having CD, USB and SD card access, it's time consuming to toggel though them. Also consider having separate icons for AM, FM and XM. That one is less imporant since you can mix radio stations on the favorites bar from all three bands.

#29 ·
Caddy Daddy, we are working on that bug that the screen doesn't return to the previous screen after the call is completed. Should be fixed soon.

For remote start, CUE is not a part of what gets controlled. That is handled by other modules in the vehicle.

----------

Hi Runch, wow that's awesome that you've got two CUE vehicles in your stable. Thanks so much for your support!

The climate functions and settings are handled with a separate group within GM. However, I think you could probably get almost what you are looking for by changing the vent setting in the Climate application. When you change where the air comes out, it will disable full auto control, but the system will still manage the air temperature and fan speed automatically. So if you set this, you probably wouldn't need to adjust anything else.

That timer is a difficult one to set. Because it is a fairly large popup, it may annoy people if it is left up too long covering up other controls when they don't want to interact with that status view. But others that do want to interact with it, yes it can be a little short to make the setting you are looking for. If the climate application is something you would like to open fairly often, you may want to put that application in your application tray along the top of your screen (it should have been there by default) or else save the climate application to a favorite along the bottom of the screen so you can open it more easily than having to go to the home screen first. Just a couple of suggestions anyway.

For audio sourcing, we will eventually be skipping inputs that aren't connected, so this will cut the number of button presses down quite a bit when switching between the different sources.

#30 ·
Ergonomically, physical buttons and screen is pretty far from the driver, and can be arranged better. Note, I am 6'3 and have my seat back a bit.

e.g. The home button is commonly used but is the button furtherst physically (top Right) from the driver. The power button (Top Left) is closer, but how often if ever do you turn off the system???

Instead of using a home button and then going to an icon, there are usually some mini-icons at the top of the center touch screen again, these are far away physically, having these icons vertically down the left side of the touch screen would bring them much closer to the driver.

Having scroll / select controls on the steering wheel or center console would be much better still. I like the controls for the DIC, having them control the main screen choices as well may be less distracting....

Also: while I understand some items like return to previous screen after phone call being are being addressed there appears to be some flakiness on some of the features.

e.g. Although I have the system set to short voice prompts, there does not appear to be a prompt length change.
Also, I have the heated seats on remote start set, but they do not turn on when remote starting (even if they had been on prior to the car being turned off). Also would love to have the heating steering wheel come on automatically with this option. Other features (like memory seat behavior and exit seat setting seemed to take a few tries before beginning to work, so could be true with the above nit picks.

I took delivery on 1/2/13 and overall love the car, the ride and its features. just pointing out some nitty / flakey items.

#31 ·
Also, I have the heated seats on remote start set, but they do not turn on when remote starting (even if they had been on prior to the car being turned off). Also would love to have the heating steering wheel come on automatically with this option. Other features (like memory seat behavior and exit seat setting seemed to take a few tries before beginning to work, so could be true with the above nit picks.
I had the same issue with heated seats but after talking to people on this forum and the dealer... it appears that the heated seats are on even tho the light doesn't come on. They are basically getting warm ahead of time but in order to keep them on you need to hit the button when you finally turn the car on (even after remote starting it). This is the same way in the CTS.

I also noticed the seats didn't feel warm after being remote started. That is because there is no weight in the seat so the cushion isn't being pressed up against the heating coils. If you turn your passenger heated seat on with no one in it... it will feel the same way... no warmth. The only way to really test if the remote heated seat feature is working is to remote start while you're in the seat. I haven't done this yet.

I agree with the rest of your issues. I'm having some problems with my memory seat as well. Seems to not always go back to where it's supposed to.

#32 ·
Also Possible Voice recognition parsing quirk:

I have XM and an IPOD on my ATS. Several albums from 'The Who' and 'Pink Floyd' (and many others but thats besides the point).

If I say 'Play Pink Floyd' or 'Play Pink Floyd The Wall' This works and Pink floyd will start playing.....

If I Say 'Play The Who' or 'Play The Who Quadrophenia' it will think and ask if I want to play 'XM The Groove?' It can't seem to recognize 'The Who' if I ask for 'Play Quadrophenia' It will find it (actually finds multiple matches). The Who always is not found - comes up as The Groove.

As a Who fan I am deeply offended ;-p - jk

#38 · (Edited)
If I Say 'Play The Who' or 'Play The Who Quadrophenia' it will think and ask if I want to play 'XM The Groove?' It can't seem to recognize 'The Who' if I ask for 'Play Quadrophenia' It will find it (actually finds multiple matches). The Who always is not found - comes up as The Groove.
Just wanted to double-check something with you to make sure we're testing the same thing as you to see if we can find a bug related to The Who. Can you verify that the device that the music is on the artist is "The Who" and not simply "Who"? I'm guessing it is, but just wanted to be sure we were testing the same condition as you.

Thanks!

EDIT: I checked this out in the car and was able to get it to play The Who, and here are some things that may help. Do you recall pushing the speech button and hearing the car respond with "Device Initializing..."? If so, then that means the music is still being indexed and the speech grammars are being built. If you ask for The Who during this time, the only thing it is going to know about are the XM channel names because the music hasn't been built yet. Once the system got past that point for me, it responded with The Who and began playing it.

One other thing that can help with things like this is to give the system some additional information to help it find what you are looking for. Because the system has natural speech recognition, you can be a bit more flexible with it like saying "Play music by The Who" or "Play Artist The Who" or "I'd like to hear songs by The Who". All those types of things tell the system that you are looking for music from your device specifically, rather than something that may also be on XM.

See if either of those things help out with the recognition and let me know your results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.