Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread

37K views 164 replies 40 participants last post by  GTPprix 
#1 ·
I'm kind of surprised there isn't a sticky for this but here's my initial go at it. (I hope the board moderators can have a sticky post with the current Cue version, what changed, when it was released, etc.) Cue is OK but it has rough edges for sure. I encourage others to submit their suggestions.

* iPhone via USB - Cover art for same song but different band doesn't update / stays same
* Doesn't return to navigation - when I have navigation up, take a call with the hands free button (and don't touch anything else) Cue screen never returns to navigation, even after call ends. Agh!
* Voice prompts not short enough - On other new Chevy's I could start talking before the beep (if quick enough) and issue a command before (and it would accept it). Even with Short Prompts, I have to hear the lady ask me to issue a command EVERY SINGLE TIME. /cry
* If there is just one match for *anything* just go ahead and do it. I don't need to confirm it. If it's "wrong" it's still quicker to hit the cancel button and start a new command vs. waiting for the car to speak the command and speak a reply to it. Yeah I know the 5 way can help with this some, but seriously, why confirm if there just one match??? I know this may not be for everyone, but please give me option so I can enable this behavior.
* Voice input for Navigation to Address - sort of same as above, but if I confirm it on the smaller display, why do I need to hit "Go" on the Cue display? I know these are somewhat separate systems, but the additional "Go" confirmation seems redundant.
* Prompt length zero / errors only - only have the car talk if I make a mistake, if I take too long to reply, etc. Even with "Short Prompts" the car talks WAY too much. I've had the car for two weeks. I know most of the menu's and don't need the unsolicited prompts/"help" all the time.

See less See more
#35 ·
New CUE nav bug:

In So Cal, with route programmed from Pasadena to Mark Taper Forum (downtown) via 110 freeway. Route downloaded from OnStar advisor. Drive time approx 25 minutes. Clock set to 24 hr time. Clock shows time at 18:25 (correct), ETA of 11:51 (incorrect). Correct answer should have been 18:51.

#37 · (Edited)
Thanks codeman. I'm posting these to be helpful; in spite of its flaws I love CUE. I hope you guys get to do frequent updates, as the system has great possibilities and only needs some bug fixes and minor usability enhancements. And I really appreciate the presence of you and the other GM reps on the forum.

Here's another small bug in Nav that I experienced yesterday. Heading west on Exposition Blvd with a destination near LAX programmed. Map shows upcoming left turn onto Western Ave, but no other display (HUD, inset turn icon or voice directions) show upcoming turn. Inset icon seemed stuck on 'straight ahead' arrow, even though map path clearly showed left turn. Shortly after turn display recovered and behaved normally thereafter.

Here's a new feature I would like to see: a programmed display settings option to cause the screen to default (similar to a screensaver) to dark or clock display after starting or a certain period of inactivity. This option would not be enabled during turn-by-turn Nav sessions. Extra points might be showing one line for radio or phone status on the default screen. Press and hold a shortcut (at top of screen; similar to programming a preset) lockout the screen saver until a new screen is selected.

One more thing: I know GM has to take care of it's dealers, but it would be great if CUE could be updated by consumers, through the USB ports. I imagine this as a signed binary file that the system would load from a thumb drive; the binaries could only be downloaded from GM. For extra security, one could make the users login and store their system serial number; the binary's encryption could be tied to that serial number.

#39 · (Edited)
Since we're speaking of music again in regards to voice commands.

Can we have a "wildcard" (per say) to play everything by an artist that also includes an artist featuring other artists?

So I'd say something like "Play artist Drake" then she'll ask for me to choose one (as I have multiples)
1) "Drake" 2) "Drake feat. Beyonce" 3)"Drake feat. Nicki Minaj" etc... I then reply with "play all"?
Or for me to just be able to say "Play everything by artist Drake" and she then plays every song by artist Drake if "Drake" is found anywhere in the Artist ID3 tag?

----------

A couple more questions:

1) Will software updates be done via USB? (this has been talked about, but nothing official).

2) When listening to music on an SD card, sometimes when I restart the car Cue defaults to the USB device option, and I have no USB devices plugged in.
Example: So I was listening to a song on the SD card, stopped the car, got out, came back in and restarted the car and instead of resuming, it is now on the USB device input.
I'd assume this would have something to do with the SD card slot being on the USB bus, and Cue confusing that input at times. This doesn't happens always (it could work 4 out of 5 times even) but it does certainly happen.

3) Will an SDXC card ever be officially supported (in other words, will ExFat be supported).

4) Pandora connection issues (I know this is an app I'd assume made by Pandora, but hear me out)
I believe that I have both a problem with the Pandora app on the phone, and also with the app on Cue.
Example: If Pandora works when I first try it, it seems to stay connected to the phone pretty reliably, however the next time I get in the car it doesn't always work and I receive "check connected device". This "check connected device" will only go away if I then restart my phone, and then restart my car. It seems to me that Pandora never checks again to see if the "connected device" is working or the status of it changed.
For instance, if I get the "check connected device" and then reboot my phone Pandora still won't work until after I restart my car. I believe that the Cue Pandora app only looks for a device at the initial load of the app, and not afterwards at all.
Is there a way to have it retry again after a set period, or a way for Cue to close the app and then restart it (which would then look for my phone again, which if I restarted would work fine?)

I get that this is a bit awkward but I like Pandora, and sometimes it is such a pain to get working.
I just know that restarting my phone and Cue makes it connect pretty much every time.
I believe on the phone side (app) Pandora isn't correctly going into accessory mode, and for some reason rebooting the phone fixes that.
I may just have to kill the Pandora app on my phone as opposed to rebooting, but I haven't tried that yet.
I have a Nexus 4, Android 4.2.1. It was the same exact way for me on my previous Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.1.
I'd suspect some of the problems lie within the new Bluetooth stack introduced in Android 4.2.x as the sound quality is also really bad (not Cue's fault with that).

(You've heard this plenty now, however thanks so much for helping and listening to our concerns it really does help to know someone is listening and possibly implimenting some of our requests/bugs)

#40 ·
Hi Bungee,

For the voice feature, that would unfortunately be very difficult to implement and would introduce a lot of complexity into the system to be able to do partial searches. Also not quite sure what that might do if it happened to mix together two different artists who happened to share the same word in their title. It's something I'll bring up with the team, and I can totally understand the rationale, but might be difficult to do it and not mess up something else.

One way to get around this would be to create a playlist for those artists that you would like to have combined. You could then ask CUE to play that playlist and should then get the same experience you're looking for.

I don't know about SDXC. That part is handled in a different group so I don't readily know an answer, but I'll see if I can track down the right person and see if there are plans for it.

For Pandora, I've also had similar issues and agree that there are probably some combination of errors that cause that problem. For me, running ancient Android on a Droid 3, it seemed to stem from like you said, the Pandora app not going into accessory mode. I have had luck by hitting the menu button and selecting exit, and then relaunching the Pandora app. To get the CUE Pandora app to connect again, I usually would have to switch away to another audio source and then switch back to the Pandora app. Usually switching into the Pandora app would cause that initial connection to take place again and start working. If you are a big fan of Pandora, make sure you put Pandora up in your app tray along the top of the screen. If you haven't done it, from the home screen push and hold on the Pandora icon. After a few seconds you'll feel a thump and it will go into Edit Mode where you can rearrange the app icons and also add icons to your app tray or remove icons you don't use. You can have between 3 and 5 apps up in that tray. Alternatively, you could also save Pandora as a Favorite. Also while on the home screen, tap on the little arrow in the lower right corner to bring up your Favorites. Push and hold on a Favorite slot and then it will ask you to tap on the application that you'd like to save. You can do this for any app.

I hope that helps!

#41 ·
Codeman, one more bug I forgot to post in my earlier msg.

Search for 'Wally Park' near LAX on the RemoteLink app (you should find it at 9700 Bellanca Ave LA CA). Click on Send to In-Dash Nav. The in-dash Nav responded with an error (don't remember the specific wording) that the POI is not in the database.

Obviously my point is the app search returned an address -- the car shouldn't need to know about the POI to be able to route to an address found via the mobile app.

#43 ·
Excellent idea!

I've downloaded Road Trip from the iTunes App Store, but, of course, have to key in all the info on the iPhone.

A CUE app would automatically load and save the Trip mileage and odometer data, allow entry of number of gallons, fuel brand (e.g., Chevron, Shell, Costco), and compare the CUE on-board mileage calculation with the mileage calculated using the odometer readings and the amount of fuel pumped.

----------

Great to read that the CUE experts are reading this forum!

I used the BMW iDrive on my 2008 MY 535xi before trading it for the XTS. Overall, I much prefer the CUE touch screen.

How do I (or can I?) get CUE to display ALTITUDE with the current position? Had this on the iDrive and it's available on my wife's 2013 Lexus GS350. I can't believe Cadillac overlooked it intentionally!

#45 ·
How do I (or can I?) get CUE to display ALTITUDE with the current position? Had this on the iDrive and it's available on my wife's 2013 Lexus GS350. I can't believe Cadillac overlooked it intentionally!
This was something that we consciously decided to leave out. When developing CUE, we questioned every feature and tried to remove any that we possibly could to try to keep it simple and not over-complicate the system or make it too technical. We may consider putting this back in for the future if there seems to be enough interest. Thanks for letting us know this is something you're looking for!

----------

Rudy, thanks for the feedback. If you're able to send me the address that didn't work, I'll try to see what went wrong there and get that fixed.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll keep tabs on them and see if there's something we might easily be able to change.

#44 ·
I experienced the nav problem of not being able to enter an address no matter how I did it. I finally had to ask OnStar to enter it for me and then it worked. It was a long address with three names in the street name and when I entered it the third street name came up as the state. This leaves us feeling helpless since there is no other way except OnStar to enter an address of more than one name.I've only had the car for two days and have spent a lot of time reading the manual and watching the Cadillac videos on how to use the CUE system. They are helpful but need to be a litle more detailed as the owners get more familiar with the system. One thing I would like to see improved is the short cuts when using the DIC selector. When you first turn them on with the sel button they will only last about two seconds and then disappear. I wish there was a way to make them last just a little longer for my wife to learn. One other issue is the manage the favorites option. It seems to me that this function should be available when a favorite is pressed so that the name or info could be changed at that time instead of having to go to settings etc. Keep up the good work and keep us informed about the updates because some of the dealers are just not that into CUE and do not seem to be aware of any issues with it.

#46 ·
Will double check how it is stored in the IPOD NANO. It did recognize 'PLAY WHO' when I tried on another occasion.

If I did cut it off will it was initially indexing, would indexing complete subsequently or do I need to uninstall and reinstall the device to get it reindexed?

Thanks for the Reply!

#48 ·
If you tried speaking while it was indexing, it would still continue in the background. It unfortunately has to index every ignition cycle to look for any new content on the device, so there will be a short amount of time after you start the car that you may have to wait before asking for media content from the iPod.

#51 ·
It definetly responds to 'Play Who', does not match 'Play The Who', 'The Who' is listed within the device with 2 Albums (lol I have about >10 on vinyl that I haven't listened to in years), and 'The Who' is displayed on screen.

hmmm.

Will tool around a bit more and let you know if I spot anything else...

Overall very impressed as navigating around a 2000 album/song index manually while driving is really not an option.

Fun conversation:

'Play Yes'
'Do you want to Play Yes?'
'Yes'

redundant but gets the job done ;-0

Need to get into a who's on first conversation with the car....

G
#49 ·
I've had a frusterating problem come up with CUE and the favorites buttons. I have about 1300 songs on an SD card. I store on the buttons the Genre of Pop and Rock, a Playlist and about 4 artists that I like. It's great being able to press a button marked Chicago or The Eagles and listen to songs from those groups. 3 times in the last 5 days the buttons with those items stored on them have reverted back to being blank, they show their number as before anything is saved to them. In addition after I reloaded the buttons last night and turning off the car, when I started the car again, though the buttons were still labeled they stayed grayed out even after several minutes except for the one button with the play list on it. I reloaded one of the buttons with an artist, which worked, but the other buttons with artists or Genres never become lit.

For those of you having problems with the indexing taking a long time, I used to have that problem where it would take 10-15 minutes before the favorite buttons would work with SD card items. I used to have 3 playlists on the SD card, two with about 200 songs in them and one with about 1200 songs. I found that when the playlist with 1200 songs was not on the SD card, that it would index in about a minute. I don't know why that would be, but I tested the SD card with and without 3 times and that made the difference.

Any advice on my button problem would be appreciated.

#52 ·
kimbo1 said:
Need the option to display both outside termperature and Time on the DIC. Even nicer would be option to display outside temperature on the Head Up Display.
+1 on that.

----------

codeman71 said:
You're absolutely correct that it shouldn't need to know anything about the POI. Very interesting. I'll check it out.
The 'location not found' when sent from RemoteLink app happened again today. This time I used the iPhone app to search for a particular Starbucks in Glendale CA. Found it on the app and sent to car (Nav, not turn-by-turn). Car received destination and I press 'go'. Get the spinning wheel for awhile (no voice prompt to say 'route calculated). Then I get the 'location not found' error. Before I could take a picture of the screen, the system reboots itself (all the while I'm driving in stop-and-go traffic -- mostly stop).

After reboot, I try to resend the address from the phone. The phone reports 'address sent.' I can't remember if the car indicated the address was received or not, but the spinning wheel appeared and stayed on screen for the next 20 minutes. It was still on screen when I arrived at my final destination.

In a later post I'll compile a list of all the bugs/issues I've found so fat.

#53 ·
I'm not sure if it was you who reported the Wally Park issue with the destination download or not, but I tested this one and it correctly downloaded and routed to the proper location, so it seems like it is a bug that we have already corrected in the newer software. Both issues seemed to be resolved - putting the vehicle in reverse while downloading, as well as the issue of downloading this POI.

So, you can compile a list if you like, but I have a feeling the issues are fixed already, so you could probably save your time :) Thank you!

#54 ·
Codeman,

Very frustrated yesterday trying to make a phone call through CUE.

Pressed the TALK button on the steering wheel. I said "Call Tom Smith"

I got a response that the system was not initialized.

This is after being in the vehicle for 4 minutes with a confirmed pairing of my phone.

This has happened several times where I get in the car, try and make a phone call, and I get a system initialization error.

Also, is it possible when pressing the TALK button that I don't get this overly long list of instructions from CUE. That's annoying to listen to more than once.

Thanks

#58 ·
The "Device Initializing" prompt means that it is going through any media device currently connected to the system and creating voice tags for the content. If you just have a phone, it should take somewhere from 30 seconds to a minute. Apparently, Blackberrys take much longer and that's due to the time it takes to download the contacts list from the Blackberry. iPhone and Android are much quicker.

If you also have a music device connected to the system, it is also going to index that, and it will index whichever is connected first, first. So, that might explain why it was still initializing after 4 minutes, which would depend on the amount of music content you have.

As Chris said, in the Settings app, there is a Voice setting where you can adjust the prompt length from long to short. Also, whenever she is speaking to you, you can press the TALK button again to speed ahead and it will play the beep for you to speak. So, once you've become more familiar, you can speed it up quite a bit by pressing that button again. The only prompt you can't skip ahead is the Initializing prompt.

----------

The Wally Park issue was me. Good to know you think it's fixed. Not up for extra work.

Is there a way to know the current release version? Taking the car in for service is a huge hassle; I don't mind doing it if its going to yield an update, but I can't do it just to hear 'your car is up-to-date.'

For reference my ATS was sold to me about a month ago. Don't know the build date.
I don't think the update plan has been announced yet, but there should be communication given to you when an update is available for the system. So at this point, if you haven't heard anything, you do already have the latest software installed. I believe in another thread here someone has posted what their software part numbers are (which can be accessed by going into Settings, then selecting Software Information). As long as you've got the same info as is posted there, then you should have everything the latest.

#60 ·
I have to agree that it's a real hassle to have the database erase and then reupload itself every time you enter/exit the vehicle. For those of us with large contact lists on our phone or large music libraries on our iPod, that is an excess amount of time we have to wait to use our device.

I recently complained that within the first 4 minutes of entering my vehicle I cannot even place a phone call because the system is still initializing.

If all this information can instead be stored on the hard drive so that access to it is immediate upon entering the vehicle I think it will make many people happy.

In the meantime, I think I speak for all when I say that I am very happy that Codeman is still with us addressing concerns.

#61 ·
I too have had problems with the slide up function of the favorites arrow. I routinely get just one row or the function that is just next to the up arrow at the bottom of the screen. I too would like the favorite button that is on some of the pages but not all to be programmed in to be on every page except data entry pages. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to see my smiling daughter looking at me from the DIC! I had not seen the picture transfer from my phone to the contacts because my wife's Iphone is usually the connected phone and it doesn't support the picture transfer. Keep up the wishes folks and maybe Codeman can get some of them approved for us.

#62 ·
Bungee, It's a bit tough for me to comment on the indexing issues as that is handled by a separate team from mine. I agree that it is frustrating and it seems to be a simple solution to the problem. However, there are many use cases that have to be considered and somehow it seems that this was one choice that needed to be made in order to ensure that we weren't using an out-of-date index which would be just as frustrating if that were to happen.

For it not reverting back to the right USB source, I'll have to check that one out. I think that will inherently get fixed with the next software update where we skip sources that aren't connected, but I haven't heard of that issue specifically. I'll see if I can check on that one.

The reason you are seeing the inconsistent behavior for that reveal button sometimes bringing the Favorites up and sometimes not is due to the screen functions available on that screen. We always wanted the Favorites available on every screen. They are either connected to a row of buttons along the bottom of the screen, or if a screen doesn't have a row of buttons, then they are accessed by using that reveal button. A couple cases - the Home Screen, and Settings, for example, don't have any need for the row of buttons, so that reveal button just brings up the Favorites. Otherwise, if you are in the Audio or Navigation apps, they do have the row of buttons (no room for a reveal button), so you drag up on the bar of buttons. Now, you don't need to drag on any particular part of that row, just grab anywhere and drag up. Think of that whole row as a big grab handle. Then when you're done, just take that handle and slide it back down. We had a decision to only allow 0, 1, or 3 rows of favorites for several reasons. We designed the audio and navigation applications so that you could use the application with either 0 or 1 row of favorites visible and could still do everything. Once you got up to 2 rows of favorites, then it starts to block more of the application area above, and is difficult to accommodate. 3 rows is easy because it pretty much covers up the application you are using and you are only using your Favorites at that point. So, we made a choice to simplify it so the user could have 0 or 1 rows and be able to use the app, or just cover it up with 3 rows, and not get into the in-between state where you've got 2 rows. So, short answer is, we made a choice to exclude 2 rows of favorites.

For the touch points, you'll see some improvements with the next software update and I think you'll be pleased. We made quite a few adjustments with the touch areas for buttons particularly near the bottom of the screen to make it easier to activate.

Thanks again for the feedback and as I've said I will do everything I can to continue improving this system to its fullest.

#63 ·
For it not reverting back to the right USB source, I'll have to check that one out. I think that will inherently get fixed with the next software update where we skip sources that aren't connected, but I haven't heard of that issue specifically. I'll see if I can check on that one.

For the touch points, you'll see some improvements with the next software update and I think you'll be pleased. We made quite a few adjustments with the touch areas for buttons particularly near the bottom of the screen to make it easier to activate.
I love when I see Cody's name on this forum because I feel like he's always dropping hints at updates and improvements they have made for the next release. I for one, CANNOT WAIT until I can get my hands on this update!!

#67 ·
I would like a fix for my iPod.. I have an iPod in all of my cars plugged in through the USB.. When I am on a playlist and exit the xts turning the car off .. When I get back in the iPod will not track up or down it stays on the song it was on prior to leaving the car.. If I track up it just starts the song over same for,track back.. I can't change songs unless I reselect play list.. Pretty frustrating

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.